Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Looking back at the push that King Mabel got in '95. Was it really THAT bad?

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/10/...it-that-awful/

  2. #2
    Senior Member MV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,061
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    I agree that Mabel was better as a face than a heel. While it's good to take risks and try to make new stars, it seemed more out of necessity than organic build. A push has to be believable for fans to buy in and some pushes happen w/o rhyme or reason.

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    33
    vCash
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    I think Shawn Michaels and Bam Bam Bigelow should've remained heels for the WWF for the whole 1995, or WWF could've made Bret Hart, Razor Ramon and British Bulldog all heels to even up the star power between both the face pool and the heel pool of the WWF.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,307
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    I actually took a moderate 'wait and see' approach on Mabel winning KOTR and didn't immediately condemn it as the worst thing ever. Yeah, it came out of left field but I was willing to give it a chance. He just never really caught fire with me or anybody else and was just kind of there. I didn't like King Mabel but I didn't hate him either. Indifference may be the worst thing for a wrestler. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized how weird and failed the whole King Mabel thing was. Bret-Owen-MABEL-Austin-HHH-Shamrock...one of those names sticks out like a sore thumb. Mabel was also out of the company less than 7 months after his big KOTR win. Definitely a failure.

    "The build-up for Mabel to be a main event guy may have contributed some backlash for his win at KOTR. He didnít have a slow build and was considered a main event guy within two months of a heel turn. He needed to beat credible names in the weeks after to be sold as such, and I donít recall that happening."

    This was part of the problem. Wrestling fans had also moved on from the big man. I think Vince was trying to recreate something like Hogan vs. Bundy or Earthquake for a fanbase that was tired of that sort of thing.

    Did like his spinning heel kick, belly to belly and that one(?) time he executed a big package though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    819
    vCash
    1200
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Looking back at the push that King Mabel got in '95. Was it really THAT bad?

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/10/...it-that-awful/

    He was par for the course as far as WWF monster heels went. The difference was that he was brought in as a tag team guy that transitioned into a singled wrestler. Most WWF monster heels are introduced, wrestle months of squash matches while looking invincible. Finally when it appears they are on the verge of destroying Hulkamania, retiring the Warrior, etc. they suffer their first loss in the big main event of a ppv. Its all down hill from there as they go back down the card until they are turned into a tag team guy with another former "invincible" monster. Bossman, Earthquake, Tugboat, Gonzales, etc. were all booked the same manner.

    The King of the Ring was a relatively new concept so they made him King in order to build him up to a big ppv main event slot probably. However, someone changed their mind when they took a long look at Mable wearing the crown.

  6. #6
    ≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,255
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Did like his spinning heel kick, belly to belly and that one(?) time he executed a big package though.
    PLEASE tell me that's a super heavyweight version of a small package. I must've missed this in real time and in throwback viewings. Would love to see it.*

    (*Hoping it isn't something Ruthless Aggression Era weird during his run as Big Vis the Love Machine or whatever.)
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,307
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    PLEASE tell me that's a super heavyweight version of a small package. I must've missed this in real time and in throwback viewings. Would love to see it.*

    (*Hoping it isn't something Ruthless Aggression Era weird during his run as Big Vis the Love Machine or whatever.)


    At 7:16. This should have been Mabel's super finisher. Nobody can realistically kick out of this.

  8. #8
    ≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,255
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post


    At 7:16. This should have been Mabel's super finisher. Nobody can realistically kick out of this.
    HOLY SHIT! How was that NOT the finish!? Honestly, in a lot of ways, the big package is a much more terrifying move than any sort of splash. It's a slow, heavy, smothering death beneath rolls of sweaty, body-odored blubber. At least with a Banzai Drop or Bundy's or Earthquake's splashes, it's over in an instant... and even if they remain on you afterward, at least you're already dead. In kayfabe or as a shoot if I were a worker, the big package would be the finisher I'd look forward to possibly taking the least. Woof!
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

  9. #9
    Senior Member MV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,061
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Big package...

  10. #10
    Senior Member RIH's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    782
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    It made sense to try it. He's a huge guy. I don't knock the WWE for trying to push any guy who is big. The fact is: some of them are good and some of them aren't. If they are a good, big guy, it will show. If they aren't, it will also show. The advantage to a guy who is that big is that you can push them based on their size and see how the fans react. The disadvantage to that, however, is that if they are no good, this will show very quickly because the fans will quickly realize that the guy is JUST big with little talent. Mabel was a big guy and why not try to push them? A guy the size of Mabel is believable as someone who can beat nearly everyone.

    To answer your question: Yes, I think it was awful. I don't recall any match Mabel had that was any good and none of his promos stick out in my mind as I right this. I don't knock them for trying to push the guy whatsoever. I just don't think it worked in Mabel's case.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    It wasn't that bad. Still wasn't as believable as Earthquakes push though.

  12. #12
    Senior Member vendrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18,561
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    This was perhaps the single event that might me give up on WWE as a whole during that time frame. The spring/summer of 1995 was a dreadful time in WWE and this was just the cherry on top of the shit sundae. With that said however, the WWE roster was pretty thin at that point in time. Diesel already had his match with HBK at mania and they were holding off on HBK until mania 12 so it made sense to move him out of the title picture and there really just wasn't a ton to choose from. Bam Bam just lost to fucking Lawrence Taylor so to me that takes him out as being a believable threat to Diesel. Bret going heel just wouldn't of worked at that time. I would of went with Luger. Have Luger join Money Inc and turn on Tatanka then have him go after Diesel's title. Lex as a heel could have worked in WWE in 1995 I think.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,061
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by vendrell
    This was perhaps the single event that might me give up on WWE as a whole during that time frame. The spring/summer of 1995 was a dreadful time in WWE and this was just the cherry on top of the shit sundae. With that said however, the WWE roster was pretty thin at that point in time. Diesel already had his match with HBK at mania and they were holding off on HBK until mania 12 so it made sense to move him out of the title picture and there really just wasn't a ton to choose from. Bam Bam just lost to fucking Lawrence Taylor so to me that takes him out as being a believable threat to Diesel. Bret going heel just wouldn't of worked at that time. I would of went with Luger. Have Luger join Money Inc and turn on Tatanka then have him go after Diesel's title. Lex as a heel could have worked in WWE in 1995 I think.
    So would I. Imagine if he still had the Narcissist gimmick. I think majority of the believable guys were faces. Sid was a believable threat but I remember they tried in the spring w/ the two IYH matches.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Da Gr8t I Is's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    793
    vCash
    1970
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    HOLY SHIT! How was that NOT the finish!? Honestly, in a lot of ways, the big package is a much more terrifying move than any sort of splash. It's a slow, heavy, smothering death beneath rolls of sweaty, body-odored blubber. At least with a Banzai Drop or Bundy's or Earthquake's splashes, it's over in an instant... and even if they remain on you afterward, at least you're already dead. In kayfabe or as a shoot if I were a worker, the big package would be the finisher I'd look forward to possibly taking the least. Woof!
    I lost it when I read the bold

  15. #15
    Senior Member vendrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18,561
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    Quote Originally Posted by MV View Post
    So would I. Imagine if he still had the Narcissist gimmick. I think majority of the believable guys were faces. Sid was a believable threat but I remember they tried in the spring w/ the two IYH matches.
    Also had they gone that route, no way would Luger have ever jumped back to WCW if was going to get pushed as the new top bad guy. Who knows just how Lugers career would have turned out if WWE just made this switch and really there was no reason not to. Lugers push died at wrestlemania 10 and he really didn't do anything of note except for teaming with bulldog for a bit which never really led him anywhere. He even fit Vinces fetish for the big and muscular.

  16. #16
    Straight Edge Champion Damon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,258
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: King Mabel Push: Was It That Awful?

    What amazes me in hindsight was that Mabel was just 24 years old, and had been in the business a little over two years when he won King of the Ring, and was out of the WWF 7-8 months later. He was green as grass and probably should never have gotten the push he did, but you can't blame them for trying. A young guy with that kind of size is always going to be of interest, especially with the lack of credible big heels in the WWE circa 1995.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •