Thread: Jury Duty

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jury Duty

My mother was recently sent a summons in the post for this. For certain reasons, she's an unsuitable juror as certfied by her GP but it did get me thinking and wanting to know a bit more about it in case I ever get summoned.

Has anyone here ever spent time on a jury and what can you tell us all about it, any horror stories?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jury Duty

I loved my jury duty. It is CT so you spend all day in a room until the lawyers call you in. The one case they had was of a girl who was hit by a car doing a left hand turn that hit her car. She ended up with traumatic brain injury. I knew this walking into the room as I took three classes with in college, knew the full details of her case and even seen her MRIs. I swear to fucking god the defense lawyer said it should not impact the case and was not reason for dismissal. I got dismissed for having acid reflux that makes it hard for me to sit still for long periods of time.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a lawyer I'm automatically exempt from sitting on juries in NSW. I've only ever sat in on one trial with a jury. They're usually rare here in Australia, at least in NSW. We only have juries in civil cases when it's a defamation case and in criminal cases usually only serious indictable cases.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got summoned twice. I got out of the first one by lying about childcare. Second i got summoned for the local court. It was weird. No case but I was on call for a month. Guess they had cases on Fridays and needed a pool of jurors just in case. First week was cancelled and no cases the rest of the month. Borderline disappointed.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how if it works the exact same in the US as the UK but I received the letter telling me when I was to attend court. I dreaded it simply because I'm an anxious person so this was way out of my comfort zone. Anyway, I went for the first three days and didn't get called any of those days but had to phone up every night to see if I was still to attend the following day. This was annoying because I would have to travel there every day and then go home again within an hour and also because I'd phone up hoping I'd be done and then be disappointed when told I had to attend.

I eventually got picked on the Thursday. I think they can only keep you a week without actually calling you for a case. The waiting around is boring though, I fell asleep more than once when sitting waiting . The case only lasted the Thursday and the Friday and then that was me done for three years. It was interesting in the end up, I wouldn't say I want to do it again but I don't think I'd dread it so much. I'd see it more as an annoyance now than something I am just anxious about attending.

That said, my case was assault and was at the lesser court so was pretty easy in the end up in terms of experience. I dare say cases of sexual offenders etc would be a lot more harrowing.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never been on a jury, but did once get a summons, apparently. I had just left Tangipahoa Parish ("parish" being the term Louisiana uses for what most states call "counties") to work in St. Mary Parish. About a month after I moved the landlord (practically a family member from whom I am in the process of buying the house I lived in at the time) let me know that the sheriff had been by asking about me. I also received a similar notification while I was in the Navy from St. Tammany Parish telling me to go to Mandeville, particularly odd as I have never lived in that parish and St. Tammany's seat, as well as its court house, are in Covington, but this turned out to be a poorly executed hoax.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've received two jury notices. One was over a decade ago. I called the night before as instructed and didn't have to go.

Got another one last February. This time I did have to go. Sat in the lobby for a few hours reading before getting called with about 24 other people. Judge questioned a few prospective jurors and dismissed the rest of us once he found the 6 (I think it was) people he needed. I didn't get questioned and went home after being dismissed.

It was interesting to see how the system worked but I can't pretend I ever want to go again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grandma was on a cop killer jury that went on for a little while. But she said it was an open and shut case. She also thought everyone was guilty though.

No jury duty for me yet. Waiting with baited breath.

The Voices, they scream Mr. Canoe's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've literately been summoned 3 times but never had to go. The first time was a bit worrying though as I didn't even know I had been summoned until a full year after. We had moved out of our old home and the new owners kept some mail for about a year. when I got my mail out of pure coincidence I read them in order. First saying that I had been selected, then the second letter saying I must contact them ASAP as I had been selected and then finally the third saying I wasn't needed. That was a relief to read. Thought I was in some serious shit there for a second

The next 2 times. I got a call right before I was suppose to go that I wasn't needed and the third time it was fairly shortly after I had sent in my info that they said I wasn't needed. Got to say although I have pretty serious social anxiety and it would have been crazy nervous I am a bit disappointed I haven't had to go

Ivan Koloff Girl southrnbygrace's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until I moved to NC I had only been called for jury duty once. I've lived here 16 years and been called 3 times. The only time I was chosen to serve on a jury it was a guy that broke into an old lady's house and raped her. He was early 40s she was late 80s. They had DNA evidence, his shoe print at the crime scene and everything....pretty open and shut for me after everything was said and done.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    I'm not sure how if it works the exact same in the US as the UK but I received the letter telling me when I was to attend court. I dreaded it simply because I'm an anxious person so this was way out of my comfort zone. Anyway, I went for the first three days and didn't get called any of those days but had to phone up every night to see if I was still to attend the following day. This was annoying because I would have to travel there every day and then go home again within an hour and also because I'd phone up hoping I'd be done and then be disappointed when told I had to attend.

I eventually got picked on the Thursday. I think they can only keep you a week without actually calling you for a case. The waiting around is boring though, I fell asleep more than once when sitting waiting . The case only lasted the Thursday and the Friday and then that was me done for three years. It was interesting in the end up, I wouldn't say I want to do it again but I don't think I'd dread it so much. I'd see it more as an annoyance now than something I am just anxious about attending.

That said, my case was assault and was at the lesser court so was pretty easy in the end up in terms of experience. I dare say cases of sexual offenders etc would be a lot more harrowing.
    Well, this answered my question of is Jury Duty a thing in the UK (stupid I know)

I wonder if I'll ever get picked to be on the jury, I'd be like Homer I'd imagine.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Well, this answered my question of is Jury Duty a thing in the UK (stupid I know)

I wonder if I'll ever get picked to be on the jury, I'd be like Homer I'd imagine.
    Not really - I think those in Sunderland are exempt from jury duty. The people already have enough problems with the football team.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Just to clarify: you do mean this, right?

My brother was married by a judge and I still says he should've asked for a jury.

I really don't have anything of substance to contribute; I just feel good and hope somebody laughs.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have not been called to jury yet, but my father and brother have in recent years. I don't remember what my dad's case was about. I think it was something pretty innocuous. He wasn't even there a whole week. My brother's case was a lot more interesting and lasted at least two weeks. A blind man was on trial for heading a drugs dealing operation that spanned a very large area. He denied all claims, using his blindness as an excuse, but some of his senior colleagues testified against him so that was the end of that. He got a pretty hefty sentence.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent a week in jury duty selection before the judge told us all to go home.
    (It was a criminal case, so I assume the dude tried to stall the process as long as he could get away with before pleading guilty.)

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Thread Information