Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Thanks to @PI @UT @nazzer @TheIcon @Fezz @ShinobiMusashi @Big Pete @Sea Slug @Kilgore & @SM? for voting. With myself that makes 11 ballots.

Here are a few of the more notable names to receive no votes.....

Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko as a tag team
    Chris Chetti
    Big Dick Dudley
    EZ Money
    Pitbull #1
    Doug Furnas
    Nova & Blue Meanie as a tag team
    Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke as a tag team
    Bobby Eaton*
    Arn Anderson*
    El Puerto Ricano

*Several wrestlers who competed in one match, or a handful of matches, received votes, including a few in the Top 50.

The List

Spoiler

Supplemental Countdown Results

Thread http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=134455

Spoiler
    Last edited by Baker; 05-11-2017 at 08:52 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

#76-#101

#101 (tie) (1 Vote-1 Point)
    Bill Alfonso
    Kevin Sullivan

#99 (tie) (1 Vote- 2 Points)
    Little Guido & Tracey Smothers
    King Kong Bundy

#97 (tie) (1 Vote- 3 Points)
    Jerry Lawler
    Johnny Grunge

#96 (2 Votes- 3 Points)
    Beulah McGillicutty

#95 (1 Vote- 4 Points)
    Francine

#93 (tie) (1 Vote- 5 Points)
    Chris Candido & Lance Storm
    Sid

#92 (1 Vote- 6 Points)
    Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten

#90 (tie) (1 Vote- 8 Points)
    Louie Spicolli
    The Sheik

#88 (tie) (2 Votes- 8 Points)
    JT Smith
    Tracey Smothers

#85 (tie) (1 Vote- 9 Points)
    Rocco Rock
    Badd Company
    Super Calo

#84 (1 Vote- 10 Points)
    Mikey Whipwreck & Tajiri

#82 (tie) (1 Vote- 11 Points)
    Dusty Rhodes
    Dan Kroffat

#81 (2 Votes- 12 Points)
    Simon Diamond

#80 (1 Vote- 15 Points)
    Rick Rude

#79 (1 Vote- 16 Points)
    John Kronus

#77 (1 Vote- 18 Points)
    Mustafa
    Hayabusa

#76 (2 Votes- 18 Points)
    Jason
    Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017 at 12:24 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axl #16- Drank many a brew with him, charisma out the ass-a journeyman who bled like a main-eventer RIP.

Pillman #37- Like Rude -enflamed by not 'rassling-why bleed when you're a STAR!
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expected Louie Spicolli to finish higher.

Pretty cool that Little Guido partners JT Smith & Tracey Smothers ended up tied.

JT Smith is the only wrestler from my ballot to show up so far. I had him at #48. Easily my favorite member of the FBI and one of the best cult favorite ECW guys. He was a hoot both in the ring and as a sports entertainer.

I'm glad Jerry Lawler made the countdown. Considered voting for The King based on one epic appearance where he didn't even wrestle but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Before somebody asks, Rick Rude did officially have one match in ECW. Francine also competed in a few matches.

#51-#75 coming soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome to see this up and going. So much to say about all of these guys, starting with the guys that didn't get a vote. Chris Chetti never amounted to much but was in a few decent matches here and there, never really got over even after rocking the Emenim gimmick in 2000. Was probably at his best in the tag team with Nova. Speaking of Nova, he and the Blue Meanie were also a decent tag team that I at least thought about putting on my list.

I loved Big Dick. ... the wrestler. To me the Dudley Boys were just not the same without Big Dick, Gertner, Sign Guy. Seeing them in WWF without those guys just felt like something was missing. Big Dick was at least considered for my list, if only for the fucking table bump of all table bumps he took at Barely Legal 20 years ago this week! Easily one of my favorite spots in ECW history. Big dude fucking murdered those tables. Glorious.

El Puerto Ricano also was strongly considered for my list, it's one thing being a jobber in pro wrestling, it's another thing being a jobber in ECW, this dude took some of the sickest bumps I've ever seen. I think I remember one spot where one of the Bruise brothers or somebody just threw the guy over the top rope flat back onto the concrete. Also took Tazplexes better than anybody else.

Bunch of guys on this first cut that made my non-wrestler top 10, Fonzie, Beulah, Francine, etc. Surprised to see King Kong Bundy on there, I actually always kinda liked KKB a little.

Balls and Axl I liked a lot back in the day, they were like real headbangers where as the WWF tag team Headbangers were like a couple of goofs pretending to be headbangers. Balls and Axl tag team should have made my list, for some reason I decided to just go with them as singles guys, I just can't remember any real good matches where they teamed together.

Really dug Candido and Storm tag team but they didn't make my list, one of the best things about ECW in 1998, the mixed partner tag team match where they mix with Van Dam and Sabu that year is one of the best tag matches you are going to find in ECW, probably one of the best ECW matches period.

Found it interesting how the ECW fans took a liking to Louie when he first went to ECW in 1996, he was adopted as one of their guys. He was booked really well and was really over up until he dyed his hair blonde and started changing his character, then shortly after that he turned heel and started feuding with Tommy and he just kinda got lost in the shuffle up until he left for WCW. I liked how he had this legit amateur wrestling bad ass type of thing going on early on in his run, the Death Valley Driver has got to be one of the best finishers also.

I left out some big names from my original list. I had JT Smith at like #49 but had to cut him to make room for the guys I left off. JT was funny, he was a pure old school ECW guy that went back to the Tri States era. JT also was the man that drew the very first ever "HOLY SHIT" chant in the history of the biz when he got thrown off of the Eagles Nest at an ECW show in 92 or 93(I forget), then can't forget the scaffold match bump he took. His finest moment I don't think was ever captured on film, his surprise return in the dark match of Barely Legal I read the crowd popped super huge for him.

Dusty Rhodes little run in ECW in 2000 was really fun, some excellent moments. Interesting looking back how the washed up old legends like Dusty would come to ECW and get treated with a lot of respect by the fans like a legend should. ECW fans were the real pro wrestling fans that seemed to respect the history of it and where these guys like Dusty came from. It's too bad Terry Funk was doing jobs for Norman Smiley in WCW in 2000, would have loved to have seen him and Dusty lock horns in ECW, even in their older saggy titty states that they were in in 2000.

Mikey Whipreck and Tajiri were the only ones from my list. Absolutely loved that tag team while it lasted. Mikey's character was pretty nicely repackaged to work with Tajiri and the Minister as their manager and it just worked so well, they had some good chemistry and were in some good tag matches and great promos together. Mikey's career stalled out in ECW, then he had that shitty run in WCW. Shortly after he came back he changed his look and changed his wrestling style to better work with Tajiri, fairly underrated tag team. One of Heyman's last great ideas as ECW bookerman(if it even was his idea).

I'll have to check but man, I should have put Rick Rude in my non-wrestler top 10. Absolutely loved his run in ECW in 97, so hilarious on commentary with Joey, some outrageous moments with Franny, he was at his best as a personality in ECW.

Kronus was another favorite of mine back in the day that I only recently realized wasn't all that great. Dude had the potential to be a top guy in ECW but for whatever reasons he always tried to be a goofball character and just came off as weird. Even in the Eliminators, whenever Saturn would cut a cool promo or do something awesome in a match Kronus would usually always ruin the moment with something stupid. He could do some great shit in the ring for a guy his size, had he applied himself to being a serious character and better actual pro wrestler and streamlined his physique he could have been ECW World Champ material and maybe a good regular guy in the WCW/WWF hardcore divisions.

And wow, somebody actually voted for Mustafa? Nice.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-16-2017 at 02:05 AM.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many of the names on this batch were "almosts" on my own. ECW's depth of memorable characters is extraordinary when you think about the relatively short run they had. The movie Drive to today is the same amount of time as ECW's entire run as "Extreme" Championship Wrestling. The Social Network is older. The fact that I was annoyed that I couldn't fit Sid, Louie Spicolli and JT Smith off my list, and them being in 80's and 90's is about right is pretty remarkable.

Bill Alfonso: I think Fonzie is a Top 5 non-wrestler, but he belongs on the bottom of this list for the epic match against Beulah McGillicuty in one of the greatest ECW Home Video releases (As Good As It Gets).

Kevin Sullivan: I might get repetitive with exclaiming joy for the Eastern Championship Alumni, but they're often a forgotten part of the legacy and were wholly necessary. If you think about where pro wrestling was in 1993, Kevin Sullivan was a perfect match for the heir to the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance.

Little Guido & Tracey Smothers: I might like them more now, but I wasn't the biggest fan in real time.

King Kong Bundy: Bundy wrestled at the first Wrestlemania and the first November to Remember. Only man in history that can say that. Headlined at both flagship shows too (although he had to wait a year to do it at Wrestlemania 2).

Jerry Lawler: Lawler was part of the greatest booked hour in wrestling history (Wrestlepalooza '97) as non-wrestler, and then did the job to Dreamer on the second pay per view. Nice that the King got a shoutout.

Johnny Grunge: I didn't separate tag members in my own rankings and I never thought to do it with The Public Enemy. If ever there were a package duo.

Beulah McGillicutty: Her and Fonzie are practically side-by-side, which would be perfect.

Francine: I love Franny, who was quite a bump machine before that was fashionable for ladies, but I would have liked Beulah ahead of her as a wrestler.

Chris Candido & Lance Storm: A good workrate tag team on the card who did the uneasy partnership great with Tammy in the middle.

Sid: Seeing Sid kill people live at Hardcore Heaven '99 was one of the highlights of my ECW fandom.

Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten: The Hardcore Chair Swinging Freaks! It was a great team in the sense of them also being stand ins as sort of ECW Mascots too.

Louie Spicolli: "LOUIE!" There was no such thing as a Death Valley Driver in ECW. It was the Spicolli Driver during his life and after his death. Louie was really over. It was a shame he wasn't in a better place mentally or I think he could have had an even more memorable run in ECW.

The Sheik: With the man doing Hardcore Wrestling in the goddamn 1950's, it was only fitting that he helped christen a young ECW.

JT Smith: My favorite paisan! The FBI had quite a few a fake Italians during its run. JT was, by far, my favorite.

Tracey Smothers: He was no JT Smith.

Rocco Rock: Even though I don't really believe in splitting up PE, Rocco was clearly the better one, so good job by whoever did.

Badd Company: This came from my list. Badd Company vs. The Public Enemy was a money feud in the earliest days of ECW, and with Badd Company being a bit of an Indy Darling tag team before you'd ever call them such a thing, helped establish PE for an eventual feud with the Funk Brothers.

Super Calo: Had a cup of coffee in ECW. Don't remember much about it. I always liked Super Calo, though.

Mikey Whipwreck & Tajiri: There was no reason for this to work as well as it did. One of my favorite parts of a not so favorite period of ECW.

Dusty Rhodes: Kind of like The Sheik, it was only fitting The Dream bled in an ECW ring one time. The feud he had with Corino was a great time. It made me get Dusty a little better, where most of my prior experience of the man was with polka dots and nonsensical commentary in WCW. This was the Dusty that bled all over the south in the 70's and 80's.

Dan Kroffat: This was The Icon, right? If we're splitting tag teams, I like Furnas' singles match against RVD more than anything Lafon did there.

Simon Diamond: Kilgore says Simon Diamond was only in ECW riding Dawn Marie's tight, firm, coattails.

Rick Rude: With all due respect to Rey Mysterio, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera and Super Crazy, the greatest Luchador in ECW history.

John Kronus: Fat guy 450 Splash, over and over again. The Eliminators in 1997 were the greatest tag team in America.

Mustafa: This batch has really developing into the "Jannetty Bracket" or "Anvil All Stars" as far as ECW Tag Teams go, which is why it's now a minor crime Lafon, Kronus and Mustafa are ahead of Rocco Rock.

Hayabusa: A full blown Sabu-Hayabusa feud was one of my dreams as an ECW fan. Hayabusa certainly made his mark in his brief ECW appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I left out some big names from my original list. I had JT Smith at like #49 but had to cut him to make room for the guys I left off. JT was funny, he was a pure old school ECW guy that went back to the Tri States era. JT also was the man that drew the very first ever "HOLY SHIT" chant in the history of the biz when he got thrown off of the Eagles Nest at an ECW show in 92 or 93(I forget), then can't forget the scaffold match bump he took. His finest moment I don't think was ever captured on film, his surprise return in the dark match of Barely Legal I read the crowd popped super huge for him.
    Also, according to Joey Styles, the first "Oh My God" came in earnest when he saw Mike Awesome fold JT Smith backwards on the guardrail from a suicide dive. Joey thought he fucked up, but Paul E. told him run with it and the rest is history.
    Last edited by Kilgore; 04-16-2017 at 02:05 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved this video Kilgore uploaded to Youtube:

Couple of other PE videos I just watched are so fucking great. I need to get a set of ECW 94 Hardcore TV's, the real shit with these music videos.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recognized more names than I expected to. I occasionally watched in between WWF and WCW in the late '90's. Didn't know Dusty Rhodes had a run there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Alfonso- I did consider him because he did bleed buckets in his match with Beulah but it was a one-off so he didn't make it. This is why Pillman, Arn, Eaton, Sid etc. also didn't make my list.

Kevin Sullivan- I had him on the first top 50 I made but had to drop him for some other names. I'm still glad he did get some recognition as he was instrumental in both Taz's and Sabu's early ECW run. In the same vein as Terry Funk he went out of his way to make the new faces look good.

Little Guido and Tracy Smothers- They made it to number 49 on my list. I have to give credit to the ex-Young Pistol Smothers for being able to adapt and become a solid part of ECW's undercard and not feeling really out of place. I just had to get the FBI on my list in some form or fashion just for the brilliant absurdity of the gimmick.

King Kong Bundy- Again nice to see some of the 80's retreads get a nod for helping raise awareness of the ECW brand even though he only had 1 match.

Jerry Lawler- Nice to see Lawler on here as well as he still set aside his personal differences with Paul E to help the "little guy" out. Possibly the most hated man in ECW history as his WWF heel persona was tailor made for the Philly crowd.

I couldn't separate guys like Johhny Grunge, Mustafa, Kronus, Kroffat etc. from the more famous duos. Sorry @Kilgore but Furnas and Lafon were also a last second cut.

Beulah McGillicutty- She really exceeded expectations in her match with Fonzie. I think with more experience she could have been a great addition to the divas division after ECW folded. Beulah-ca-ranas for everyone!

Francine- I have to give her credit for setting the trend for female table bumps. It still wasn't enough to make my top 50 though.

Chris Candido and Lance Storm- They made it to number 46 as their odd couple schtick was done really well with Tammy stirring things up. Despite all of that they did work well together and were fun to watch in the ring as well.

The Chair Swingin' Freaks was basically my excuse to get Axl Rotten on my list twice since he played a huge part of forming the initial impression that ECW gave me. It was also a nod to his longevity in the company as he really shouldn't have recovered his notoriety after the end of his feud with Ian. Fortunately he found a kindred spirit in Balls and they were one of the most over duos in the later portion of ECW which got them to 45 on my list.

Louie Spicolli- I'm with Shin on this one. I liked his early character but he regressed as time went on. His Spicolli Driver wasn't enough to make my list.

The Sheik-If it weren't for him a lot of ECW's identity would be missing both with his own work and a certain relative's work.

JT Smith- One of the few to be on the first Eastern Championship Wrestling show and Barely Legal while spending all of that time as a curtain jerker or the midcard, much respect. He was also a painful last omission from my list.

Badd Company- Even AWA guys got into the act of helping out the misfits in ECW. I haven't seen their work in ECW so I couldn't put them on my list, they are so underrated even by me.

Super Calo- I had forgotten he was in ECW, he was always an afterthought since so many others stole his thunder simply by displaying the Lucha style first.

Mikey Whipwreck and Tajiri- I was falling out of touch with ECW by 2000 so I don't really remember much of their work together. Reading Shin and Kilgore's write-ups makes want to check out more footage.

Dusty Rhodes- On the other hand the Dusty/Corino feud was one of the few things that kept me from completely falling out of the loop. Dusty showed he had one last great run left in him and I'm sure he gave some old ECW fans flashbacks of his legendary matches with Superstar Graham in the Northeast.

Simon Diamond- Eh, C.W. Anderson was my favorite part of the mock Triple Threat with Diamond and Swinger.

Rick Rude- I too forgot to vote for him on the non-wrestler ballot. ECW was just another avenue to showcase Rude's greatness.

Hayabusa- He will always be an FMW guy to me even though his one match in ECW was so memorable.
    Last edited by The Icon; 04-16-2017 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    "Big P, every day I praise Raven. He is in my top 10- OF ALL TIME. He may reach 9 soon."

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fonz #50---Francine #47---Beulah #49---The trinity----Francine was great---chants=She's Got Herpeeeeeeeeeeessss-She's a WHooooooouuuurrreee----took many bumps- I was there the night she turned on Pitbulls and joined Shane-Powerbombed through a table=STIFF-Great tits and snarl=a Philly Gal.

Beulah and Fonz gave me a blood-letting- mixed match-B hit Fonz with edge of a cookie-sheets=a fountain of blood-tied to the Tree of Woe he covered a third of the ring in blood!-I asked Fonz about it at the Reunion show---"Yeah Daddy, I was on speed, lost 1/5 of my blood>"

Johnny Grunge #48- He was fun-GREAT promos from junkyards around Philly-bumped-ZERO 'rassling skill=VERY Philly

Louie Spic- #43- Really enjoyed his work. Saw him many times-STIFF!

JT #46- Smothers#45- Loved their comedy. Full Blooded I's were needed comedy relief. Both could chain 'rassle.

Rocco #42- A madman- bumped dumb +hard- LOVED his promos.

Kroffat #40- Saw him and Doug twice. Furnas didn't make the cut-no reason-I went "live." Legit tag.

Rude#36- He brought THE SEX to the Arena. Rats were swooning.

Kronos#35- Mustafa#33- Both were great "sidemen"-bled buckets.
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-16-2017 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since everybody else is doing it....

Kevin Sullivan- Gave early ECW some star power. Didn't his team with Tasmaniac put Taz on the map? I've only seen like one Sullivan ECW match but his stiff brawling style seems tailor made for ECW.

Beulah & Bill Alfonso- Perfectly fine low end ballot choice based on their one memorable bloodbath. Didn't Fonzie also have a fun match w/ Tod Gordon once upon a time?

Francine & Rick Rude- Better as non-wrestler choices than Greatest ECW Wrestler contenders imo but since some people didn't send in a supplemental ballot.....

Little Guido & Tracey Smothers- Easily my least favorite version of the FBI. They had go away heat with me. Maybe I'd appreciate them slightly more nowadays after familiarizing myself more with Smothers as the ultimate southern babyface in SMW.

King Kong Bundy- Seems like a weird fit for ECW. Don't think I even knew he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Jerry Lawler- The Dreamer PPV match was disappointing but his appearance at The Arena during the best booked hour in wrestling history is an all time great company moment.

Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock- Rock being rated above Grunge is the right call. I do wish everybody had voted for tag teams instead of splitting well known teams up into individuals but there's nothing I can do about that.

Sid & Dusty Rhodes- It took until the very last voter but I'm glad they both made the countdown. Both are rated about right too. Dusty helped Corino get over and while I hated Sid's ECW run in real time I've mellowed out a lot. The big oaf with 1 or 2 moves and insane popularity is actually as ECW as it gets. Just look at 911 if you don't believe me.

Candido & Storm- Would have made my Top 60 just because they (stupidly) held the tag titles forever. Controversial opinion time....Heyman doesn't get nearly enough criticism for helping to kill tag team wrestling with all his wacky teams and partners who can't get along.

Louie Spicolli- Yeah, he was a popular cult favorite type but, unlike most of the others here, I think he was about to find his true calling as a heel feuding with Dreamer. I'm tellin' ya. That would have been his ticket to stardom had he stuck it out and laid off the drugs.

John Kronus- Blew my mind the first time I saw him. Here was a 265 pound guy flying around like a world class cruiserweight. What a freak! One of my big pet peeves with late 90s ECW was "why don't they push Kronus more?!?" Now I understand. But guess what? He should totally be rated above Saturn in this based on longevity.

Mustafa- No problem with him getting a vote if people simply must split up tag teams. His comeback as heel Mr. Mustafa with a Wu Tang theme feuding with New Jack was also a fun little ppv to ppv thing.

JT Smith- Best member of the FBI. Was a quality sports entertainer who wasn't afraid to die or look silly. Also had some cool moves like the Harlem Hangover and he was the first guy Gabe ever saw do a Northern Lights Suplex. My #48.

Dan Kroffat- Agree with Kilgore that Furnas should be ranked above Kroffat based on the RVD match.

Hayabusa- Another one match wonder. Too bad he didn't stick around longer as a semi-regular a la Tanaka. Would have been hugely over if he had.

Simon Diamond- Apparently I like him more than most of the others posting here. Maybe because of all the Apter Mag hype? He was a perfectly fine midcard sports entertainment heel...the IRS or Mountie of 2000 ECW. Random Fun Fact: Corino leading a new Horsemen of CW Anderson & Simon BLANCHARD was my big ECW fanfic idea in 2000.

Balls & Axl- Popular midcard babyface team rated about right.

Super Calo- Had no memory of him competing in ECW. Had to look it up just to be sure.

Mikey & Tajiri- Get a lot of praise but I was mostly off ECW by the time they came around. Haven't seen much.

The Sheik- Another hardcore legend brought in to give early ECW some street cred.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#75-#61

1 Vote-19 Points
    Tommy Rich

2 Votes-19 Points
    Pitbull #2

1 Vote-20 Points
    Tony Mamaluke

2 Votes-20 Points
    Ian Rotten

1 Vote-21 Points
    Bruise Brothers

2 Votes-23 Points
    Danny Doring & Roadkill

1 Vote-24 Points
    Bourne Again

1 Vote-25 Points
    Chilly Willy

3 Votes-25 Points
    Juventud Guerrera

5 Votes-26 Points
    Hack Myers

(tie)
    2 Votes-27 Points
    Danny Doring
    Roadkill

3 Votes-30 Points
    Ron Simmons

5 Votes-30 Points
    "Ironman" Tommy Cairo

1 Vote-31 Points
    Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat
    Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think of ECW guys as individual cults of personality. Tagteams got split up,due to my preference. I just thought, Give me 50 names-------I forget two MAJOR guys. Mustafa-I liked his "evil" laugh.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason & Tommy Rich are two more ECW acts who had go away heat with me.

Pitbull #2 was on my ballot. Think I had him at #47. I loved his feud with Douglas over the TV Title. May have even been the most popular guy in ECW for a minute there. Had some sneaky good matches too with the likes of Jericho & Shane while the famous 4 Way for the TV Title is a Top 5 ECW match for me. Douglas/PB2 > Flair/RW Hawk.

Tony Mamaluke- Was mostly done with ECW by the time he came around but his version of the FBI generated a lot of praise back in the day as Mamaluke himself gained notoriety for his bumping.

Ian Rotten- I think both Rotten's were crap but Ian's (mostly forgotten) blood feud with Axl sold a ton of tapes back in the day and helped put ECW on the map. It was even PWI's 1995 Feud of the Year over stuff like Raven/Dreamer & Guerrero/Malenko!

Bruise Brothers- They looked the part and that one time they rammed Tommy Dreamer's nuts into the turnbuckle post was a quality heel move but I've never been a fan.

Doring & Roadkill- Never cared for 'em. Everything about Roadkill was dumb. Awful gimmick. And Doring was pretty bland. But they're fairly popular here on PW and weren't terrible in the ring. It's also pretty cool that they finished #69 as a tag team (surely Doring would approve) and tied as singles competitors.

Bourne Again- Potentially great gimmick but this character didn't last anywhere near long enough to be considered for my list.

Chilly Willy- The worst. Low level indy garbage taking up space in what was once the most innovative promotion in America. I mean, come on. The dude's name is Chilly Willy. Chilly. Fucking. Willy. And he hails from your hometown. Jim Herd would have rejected the idea of Chilly Willy for being too stupid. ECW deserved to go out of business. This dude could have been Ric Flair and I wouldn't have cared because he sounds like a rejected Sesame Street character.

Juventud Guerrera- Had an awesome match with Rey. Possibly two. But wasn't around anywhere near long enough to be under consideration for my ballot.

Hack Myers- #49 on my list. Love me some Shah. He's right up there with JT Smith when it comes to my favorite lower card ECW cult favorite types. Dude is just as ECW as it gets. And I swear he had a good match with Sabu this one time!

Ron Simmons- Haven't seen much from his ECW run (just one pretty good match w/ Douglas, I think) and always forgot he competed in the promotion until I started posting here.

Ironman Tommy Cairo- Not sure I've seen a complete IRONMAN Tommy Cairo match but he was an early ECW star who helped put Sandman on the map. Also had a cool nickname and some Apter Mag hype.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, shit... I should've been paying more attention.

If I understand the posts correctly, Kevin Sullivan and Jerry Lawler only got one vote a piece an that's why they made the list? I think those were my votes then. I don't know how much I'll be commenting in this thread in a worthwhile capacity as rankings are revealed since I don't really consider myself a "real" or "hardcore" (no pun intended) ECW fan... but I hope I did right in getting those two guys on the official list. Their roles seemed to have some significance. Judgin by others' comments so far, I'm glad I tossed them both some love.

Then Jason and Ron Simmons are two others from my list. I think I might've given Ron possibly a little more love than perhaps his ECW run warranted... in part because I can't separate Ron's actual ECW run from PW's awesome Extreme Nation concept and Ron's general badassery. It's interesting to note the gap between Ron @ #41 and Lawler @ #48 on my list... I'm wondering where the guys in between will rank.

This was a fun countdown to put together a list for, and so far I'm loving the reveals and subsequent commentary from everyone involved. Thanks to @Baker for running this. March 2016 was Stone Cold month. Between this and the draft, April 2017 is proving to be the Bake month.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, shit... I should've been paying more attention.

If I understand the posts correctly, Kevin Sullivan and Jerry Lawler only got one vote a piece an that's why they made the list? I think those were my votes then. I don't know how much I'll be commenting in this thread in a worthwhile capacity as rankings are revealed since I don't really consider myself a "real" or "hardcore" (no pun intended) ECW fan... but I hope I did right in getting those two guys on the official list. Their roles seemed to have some significance. Judgin by others' comments so far, I'm glad I tossed them both some love.

Then Jason and Ron Simmons are two others from my list. I think I might've given Ron possibly a little more love than perhaps his ECW run warranted... in part because I can't separate Ron's actual ECW run from PW's awesome Extreme Nation concept and Ron's general badassery. It's interesting to note the gap between Ron @ #41 and Lawler @ #48 on my list... I'm wondering where the guys in between will rank.

This was a fun countdown to put together a list for, and so far I'm loving the reveals and subsequent commentary from everyone involved. Thanks to @Baker for running this. March 2016 was Stone Cold month. Between this and the draft, April 2017 is proving to be the Bake month.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason- Wasn't really a fan, his first run tangling with Scorpio and Deano would be my favorite period I guess. His run as a manager later didn't win me over.

Tommy Rich- My least favorite of the FBI gang, still had too many demons to fully pull of the gimmick.

Pitbull #2- I gave credit to both but #2 had one of the more credible solo runs out the tag team splits. He and Jericho especially had great chemistry plus the Francine turn was one of the early shocking moments from my ECW fandom.

Tony Mamaluke- He and Guido portrayed good underdogs. Maybe I should have voted for this version of the FBI but like Baker I didn't see much of this version with ECW fading from my radar a bit.

Ian Rotten- He was also one of the early poster boys for ECW but he will be forever linked with Axl. Outside of that there really isn't that much that grabs me. He will get his due later in the countdown.

Bruise Brothers- Hated them everywhere they went. They had a unique look and friends in high places, that's about it.

Doring and Roadkill- They almost made my list mostly due to Roadkill being an athletic fat guy. Outside of that they had the future Lita and not much else. Doring did show flashes of being a good heel when he first came out with the vertigo gimmick but fell back into a clichéd gimmick done better by several other guys.

Bourne Again- An interesting concept but just didn't have the staying power to make my list.

Chilly Willy- For me he's the most forgotten personality of modern ECW, he must have been really bad.

Juventud Guerrera- Loved his match with Mysterio at the Big Ass Extreme Bash but he didn't stay for very long and wasn't the first to bring Extreme Lucha to the company.

Hack Myers- He made it to 47 on my list. He did a lot of the dirty work for the company in the early days working with Benoit, Taz, Sabu, Malenko etc. and getting them established while still maintaining an appealing image and character to the ECW faithful. A list would not be complete without the Shah.

Ron Simmons- His proto APA character worked well in ECW but again didn't have a long stay. If only the Extreme Nation came to fruition in reality....

Tommy Cairo- Simply for introducing one of the most iconic images and implements into ECW with the kendo stick he makes it to number 44 on my list. He also helped transform Sandman's more modern character in one of ECW's early "edgy" angles ripping off the Singapore caning news story. He was a huge overlooked piece to the ECW puzzle, great to see he got 5 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    "Big P, every day I praise Raven. He is in my top 10- OF ALL TIME. He may reach 9 soon."

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy Rich #32- I enjoyed him BECAUSE he was washed-up-still looked great covered in blood. I had mags from 80's with PRETTY Tommy on the cover-glad I got to see him in the flesh

Pitbull#2- I had switched a name he got lost-He was dumb +strong-bled well

Ian Rotten#39- Trash 'rassler-very sick Tapai Glass matches with Ian-rolling in glass-very Philly

Roadkill #38-Chickens promos-so stupid=genius

Doring- a 4th rate Brett Hart wannabe-Lackluster and loud-very Philly

Tommy Cairo #44- loved his name-very exotic-Kendo stick matches with Sandman were VERY violent

vCash
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to see this up and running - going to be awesome @Baker.

Also already enjoying the write ups so far.

I don't know how much I will have to add until we get to the top 50 or closer to the top 50 , but I will say Hayabusa was on my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#60-#51

4 Votes-32 Points
    CW Anderson

2 Votes-33 Points
    Jazz

3 Votes-37 Points
    Don Muraco

1 Vote-38 Points
    Dances With Dudley

6 Votes-38 Points
    Nova

1 Vote-39 Points
    Dudley Dudley

3 Votes-43 Points
    Eddie Gilbert

2 Votes-45 Points
    D-Von Dudley

2 Votes-47 Points
    Bubba Ray Dudley

5 Votes-49 Points
    Blue Meanie
    Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something about Tommy Rich that I find to be absolutely hilarious, I don't really know why, just the little things he does when he's heckling the fans cracks me up. I only seen him wrestle a match or two so I put him on my non wrestler top 10. I fucking love the guy.

Pitbull 2 was a great bad ass in his prime in ECW. The match against Jericho is probably my favorite Jericho match in ECW. After watching through the build up to and immediate aftermath of Barely Legal a few years ago I kind a felt like they neutered him through the Shane Douglas feud. Shane just got the upper hand on him too many times and buried him in promos, Pitbull 2's comeuppances that he would get just didn't feel big enough for all the shit that Shane put him and his partner through. One of the great underrated forgotten spots in ECW history has got to be Brian Lee chokeslamming him off the top of the ring truck through like 2 tables in either late 96 or early 97, just a ridiculous spot that for some reason was never really shown in highlight reels or anything. I wish I knew how to make gifs, someday I may try to figure out how to do it.

Tony Mamaluke I'll always remember for that one sick bump he took on one of the ECW on TNN episodes sometime in 2000 where he tried to hit like a corkscrew plancha and hit the guard rail dead on. It was amazing that he wasn't killed or paralyzed. It was one of the last things I remembered about ECW before I stopped watching that year. Years later I was in a band in Houston and eventually found out that one of my friends in that band was into ECW back in the day, he was the only person I ever met that knew what ECW was, he was likewise shocked that I knew what it was, we talked about it for a little while, remember this, remember that. Some of the stuff we talked about was Sandman's comeback in 99, Tajiri & Whipreck & Minister being awesome, and the time that one guy flew off the top rope and hit the guard rail. Holy shit that was sick!

I really don't understand Chilly Willy's run in ECW. I remember on a podcast or something Heyman saying that if ECW never died Chilly would have been a big star. Was he maybe like ECW's attempt to have like a Rikishi style guy on the roster. He looked like a WCW Saturday Night jobber, was booked fairly strong getting rubs from Sandman and Balls, and would do goofy dances after his matches. Maybe Chilly Willy was ECW evolving and trying to be a more mainstream type of wrestling product, they changed the logo in 2000, some of the style of characters were changing into more mainstream type stuff, guys looking like Kid Rock and Emenim and stuff, the type of music they started using changed, and you started seeing guys like Chilly Willy come along. I didn't like the direction ECW was headed in the Summer of 2000. Looking back now I can understand why they were trying to head in that direction, and looking at the numbers I think it was kind actually starting to pay off for them as they were doing solid PPV buys and drawing their biggest crowds in 2000 in city's they had never been to.

Doring and Roadkill made my list. Super underrated tag team, some of the best workers in ECW there in the final years. I always liked Roadkill for the Undertaker stuff he would do in his matches, they had some funny promos, Doring had a lot of potential as a heel.

Ron Simmons Extreme Nation in the fucking house, somebody gotta book that shit in fan fic.

32. Doring & Roadkill
    36. Pit Bull 2
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    50. Hack Myers

Edit: Didn't see that Hack Myers was in that last batch. He was my #50, he was just an ECW guy, the fact that he got over as much as he did was just one of those quirky little deals that gave ECW it's charm.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnas & Lafon had a highly praised match with RVD & Sabu and later held the tag titles for a day while on loan from WWF. Don't remember much about their ECW run aside from that, though they were Baker Guys for a minute there in late 1996 WWF after wowing me at Survivor Series.

CW Anderson- Could never get into. Would probably like him more nowadays. This dull 80s throwback feuding with Dreamer in dying day ECW just had me pining for the glory days when Dreamer feuded with cool people like Raven....or even less cool people like "Prime Time" Brian Lee & Louie Spicolli.....or, god help me, even Justin f'n Credible. Yeah, I had more interest in seeing JUSTIN CREDIBLE than CW Anderson.

Jazz- So I may not have cared about CW but I cared even less about Jazz. I probably overuse the term "bathroom break wrestler" but Jazz appearances led to literal trips to the bathroom (and/or refrigerator). And maybe sometimes I'd discuss the latest Raw or predict the upcoming PPV with my cohorts instead of paying attention to Jazz matches. Didn't she feud with Jason forever?

Don Muraco- Yeah, I know next to nothing about his ECW career. Guessing he feuded with Snuka? Wasn't Tito Santana in early ECW? Maybe that feud was resurrected? Idk.

Dances With Dudley & Dudley Dudley- The early Dudleys were crap and I'm pretty sure they only existed because weirdo Raven found the concept amusing. Didn't the Original Sign Guy or some other ECW regular once bring a sign saying "Kill All Dudleys?" If they didn't, they definitely should have. My cousin, best friend Rick, and I thought the name Dances With Dudley was hilarious. Like we would just randomly blurt out DANCES WITH DUDLEY and laugh and laugh and laugh. And it became even funnier to Rick & I when my cousin shortened DWD's name to simply "Dances With." I'm pretty sure he got a small push in our ECW action figure league (we had an action figure league for practically every promotion at one time or another) just because we were amused by his name. As for Dudley Dudley, I doubt I could pick this jabroni out of a police lineup.....filled with nothing but Dudleys. He lacked even the amusing name of Dances With. Doubt he would make my ECW Top 300 but I suppose it's cool that he at least finished higher than Snot Dudley (There was a Snot Dudley, right?)

Nova & Blue Meanie- #44 &#45 on my list and I'm genuinely gutted they didn't crack the Top 50. Shameful. Do better, PW. They were BWO fer cryin' out loud! Their tag team was underrated and fun. They even had some cool double team moves! Nova's workrate babyface team with Chetti was perfectly acceptable. Like they were no better or worse than Doring & Roadkill. Plus I totally bought into his inNOVAtor (hur hur) of offense shtick. Meanie was a cult favorite who actually made it to WWF! Think about that for a second. This fat comedy oaf making it to WWF is perhaps the ultimate sign of ECW's influence. He likely never even works a dark match or gets syndicated show jobber duty without ECW's growing popularity. Plus he had one of the greatest fat guy moonsaults~! A real thing of beauty it was. And, yeah, Dances With Dudley was a funny name to Rick, Jack & I, but it had nothing on the Blue Meanie. NOTHING! Like I legit laughed so hard I cried the first time I read about a wrestler called the Blue Meanie in an Apter Mag. He naturally got a huge push in the action figure league. So immediate was his action figure league push that this fat tub of lard was little Bobby Heenan's figure (due to Heenan wearing a blue jacket). I had no idea Meanie was a 300+ pounder. I didn't care. His name is the Blue Meanie! That's hilarious. PUSH HIM!

Bubba Ray & D-Von Dudley- Will obviously finish higher as a team but I'll focus on their single careers in this post. Bubba has been my Dudley of choice since November To Remember 1996 (solo 3D for the win. That one man 3D blew my mind even two years later when I first saw it) but his early stuttering babyface shtick was Wrestlecrap. D-Von was my Dudley of choice in their early days. He got huge heat for a low card rookie heel, delivered some sick chairshots, and played the bully jerk character well.

Ranking the Dudleys

Bubba Ray
    D-Von
    Spike (never really been a fan but longevity & sick bumps have to count for something)
    Big Dick
    Sign Guy
    Dances With
    Dudley Bradford
    Dudley Moore
    Dudley from Harry Potter

Dudley Dudley, Chubby Dudley & Snot Dudley (assuming Snot Dudley is real, which he may or may not be)

*Top 50 begins tomorrow.....hopefully. Will slow down to about 5 a day and add pics.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Trinity- Eddie #18-Malenko #19- Benoit #20- I could throw these names around to defend ECW-NOT CRAPPY 'RASSLING-we have chain wrestlers. Benoit gets props for breaking Sabu's neck-I saw it EVERY week in the intro=brutal.

Guido #49- He was in great shape. Always got heat .

Jericho#32- Arena loved The Lion. I saw him several times-STIFF worker

Rey #26- What more to say? Great talent.

Al #30- I loved HEAD. It was so stupid. Drunk +stoned it was WAY better-you had to be in South Philly-smelling hotdogs+pretzels+toilets over-flowing to grasp this gimmick

Spike #27- Saw Bam Bam launch him. TOUGHEST guy in the building. Took every beating with a smile on his face.

Super #23- Saw him many times. Very precise +STIFF

Corino#34- bled buckets for a "dying" ECW-good on mic -loved his "old school " rap

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D'oh! I forgot Eddie Gilbert. He should be #54 with 3 Votes- 43 Points. Will edit everything tomorrow.

Eddie Gilbert- #43 on my list and my sole representative of early ECW. I'm a little surprised he didn't crack the Top 50. Truth be told I haven't seen much of Gilbert's ECW run but I know he rules due to seeing him in a bunch of other places. Gilbert was THE guy in early ECW and he introduced a gentleman you may have heard of by the name of Paul Heyman to the company. Early ECW fans, already being smarky smartasses, called the fledgling promotion Eddie's Championship Wrestling. Plus Gilbert once paraded around the streets of Philadelphia wearing a King outfit like he was George Costanza in that one episode of Seinfeld and if that isn't Top 50 worthy I don't know what is.

Badd Company- Forgot to mention them earlier. Not familiar with their ECW work but they were a good heel team elsewhere with some sweet double team moves and Tanaka was a hell of a bumper.

Thread Information