≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    See my avatar----my cat's named after him----SAAAAFFFFFF'IIIIIIIINNGGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBbbBBbBbBbbBO oOoOoOoooOoOo he will not fall/fail.
    This is honestly one of my favorite things about PW, ECW and wrestling in general.

Definitely gotta take a page out of the Fezz tabernacle next kitten. At the moment, the best we've got is a cat named after an airport.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Fezz were you the dude that would wear the Sabu style turban in the crowd at ECW shows?

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To continue the Fezz search, were you in this picture?

"Big P, every day I praise Raven. He is in my top 10- OF ALL TIME. He may reach 9 soon."

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    And so it has come to this. After 98 wrestlers and nearly a month only the New Triple Threat remains. Who will be the first to fall? Tune in tomorrow some time after 2 p.m. to find out!
    Swerve.

I had RVD at #2 and I'm a little surprised he fell to 3rd.

Like so many other ECW greats, my introduction to RVD came via the Apter Mags. He looked like such a nice young man. Finding out he was Robbie V (another 1993 WCW babyface I liked but had completely forgotten about until the Apter Mags reminded me) just reaffirmed my "nice young man" opinion of RVD. He seemed like a poor fit for ECW. I pictured this nice young man being eaten alive by the hardcore barbarians of ECW.

Reading about the Sabu feud changed my opinion of RVD. He had proven he belonged, though it was still hard for me to imagine Robbie V as a heel. For you see, he was such a nice young man.

My proper introduction to RVD came at Barely Legal. I legit hated him after one match. Oh, he was a good enough wrestler. Certainly much better than wimpy chairshot rat tail boy. Had some nice athletic moves. But, my god, what a jerk! Everything about him screamed "douchebag" and that was even before he cut an awesome post-match heel promo about selling out which is probably the best of his career.

I evolved on the whole Lawler vs. ECW feud. At first, I supported Lawler and laughed at the constant bingo hall cracks like the good little WWF/Lawler fanboy I was. Then I became neutral after seeing Barely Legal. WWF may have still been My Team but ECW was really, really cool too. The inclusion of RVD into that feud swung me to Team ECW because fuck RVD.

Yes, this future RVD fanboy was vehemently anti-RVD in those days. He reminded me a lot of Shawn Michaels, who I also loathed, with his cocky prickery. RVD to WWF or WCW rumors were almost as common as Yokozuna to the Hart Foundation rumors in those days. And Rob played it to the hilt. Looking back, this heel run is really underrated.

I would remain an RVD hater until I saw my first RVD/Sabu match at Wrestlepalooza '98. My friends and I were blown away. I went online to rave about it the next day. Some dude I respected was like "Meh. That was weak sauce compared to their 1996 matches." So my next ECW white box tape buying spree included a few shows with Sabu/RVD matches.

Oh. My. God. Those matches blew my mind in 1998. They pulled off some stuff that has still never been duplicated as far as I know. Contrary to popular belief, there was also psychology in those matches. Hell, at least one of those matches was all about psychology. I did sour on them somewhat over the years but late 90s-early 2000s me would have rated like 6 RVD/Sabu matches among the greatest in company history. For a while there I actually viewed them as the Flair/Steamboat of my generation. And I was not alone! Seeing an RVD/Sabu match live would be my greatest live ECW moment if Sandman didn't appear later on the very same show. That October '99 ECW Arena is obviously the best live show I ever saw. RVD/Sabu + Sandman return=Unbeatable.

I was now an RVD Guy and my RVD fandom would only continue to grow with the formation of the awesome New Triple Threat. But Taz was still my #1 ECW guy by a mile. It wasn't until I started attending ECW Arena shows that I REALLY grew to love RVD and before long he was even pressing my longtime ECW favorite Taz. I've mentioned this a hundred times before but RVD was, by far, THE most over guy on those Arena shows. Like you kind of had to be there to truly appreciate it. Fans would chant "RVD" waiting in line before the show. And one time they chanted "Van Terminator." Yes, they chanted for an RVD move. An hour before the show. Outside waiting in line. THAT, my friends, is over.

RVD just had "it." The moves. The athleticism. The bumps. The charisma. The swagger. He was one of a kind. It's not easy to pull off the cocky face gimmick. I think most of us agree that 95-96 Michaels failed. But RVD pulled it off spectacularly. He was still a braggadocio jerk who was rude to his own partner Sabu, and he never stopped being a jerk, but we loved him anyway because he was that damn good.

RVD would soon make Jerry Lynn in much the same way Sabu made him 3 years earlier in another series of critically acclaimed matches. Other memorable RVD matches include a classic TV Title win over Bigelow, a fun actionfest w/ Sabu vs. Hayabusa & Hakushi, and a few surprisingly good encounters with Balls Mahoney.

It got to the point where I felt like RVD had long outgrown the TV Title he held for almost two years. To this day RVD never winning the ECW Championship is one of my big ECW pet peeves. He also never gave anybody the rub of beating him for the TV Title due to getting injured before he could drop it. I'll go to my grave thinking he should have lost the TV Title to Lynn at the August '99 Arena show and then went on to beat Taz for the ECW Championship at Anarchy Rulz. I doubt it matters in the long run. RVD getting hurt would have ruined everything and ECW is likely still going out of business. But RVD never being ECW champion still annoys me.

His injury came at the worst possible time and set in motion a bunch of things that caused my interest in the promotion to rapidly decline. Turns out he was only out for 3 1/2 months. It felt more like a year. He came back, remained massively over as evidenced by those "Van Terminator" chants, lost more than he had in the previous few years, and left again due to not getting paid before returning for the very last ECW last pay per view.

He translated to WWF better than any of the other ECW icons, got massively over, and should have won their world championship too. Well, I supposed he did, but it was 4 years too late.

Last edited by Baker; 05-10-2017 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Baker I didn't know why in a land of chain smokers, gangsters, "real fighters" and social misfits, they had a Jean Claude Van Damme impersonator thrown into the mix. A few months later after viewing Hardcore Heaven '96 I found out why. RVD and Sabu headlined the first ECW tape I ever watched and RVD's amazing athleticism and risk taking won me over. They stepped it up a notch and entrenched ECW on my must watch list at the Doctor Is In with their stretcher match. He helped complete the ECW presentation, not only did they push the limits with characters, but with RVD they pushed the limits of in ring action. Yes they had skilled technicians and the well known gimmick matches but RVD was their "x-athlete" ace in the hole. His matches with Sabu, Lynn, Bigelow etc. were exercises in sheer one upmanship that had their own brand of storytelling. No one was as consistently over as he was as his laid back aura resonated with the fans. Soon RVD 4:20 signs started popping up everywhere, even on Nitro and Raw. I suppose that should have boosted his ranking on my list but there were just stronger personalities and even more unique in ring presentations who I feel were more synonymous with the ECW environment. RVD will still go down as the people's champion of ECW which is no small feat for a company who had wrestling's most passionate fan base.

2. Terry Funk
    3. Shane Douglas
    4. The Sandman
    6. Raven
    7. Tommy Dreamer
    8. Rob Van Dam
    9. The Gangstas
    10. Cactus Jack
    11. The Dudleys
    12. The Eliminators
    13. The Bad Breed
    14. Dean Malenko
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    16. Public Enemy
    17. Mikey Whipwreck
    18. 2 Cold Scorpio
    19. Rey Mysterio
    20. Mike Awesome
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    23. Bam Bam Bigelow
    24. Jerry Lynn
    25. New Jack
    26. Sabu and RVD
    27. Tajiri
    28. The Pitbulls
    29. Masato Tanaka
    30. Steve Austin
    31. Super Crazy
    32. Stevie Richards
    33. Lance Storm
    34. Chris Candido
    35. The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    37. Spike Dudley
    38. Steve Corino
    39. Justin Credible
    40. Balls Mahoney
    41. 911
    42. Rhino
    43. Al Snow
    44. Tommy Cairo
    45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
    46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
    50. Nova

"Big P, every day I praise Raven. He is in my top 10- OF ALL TIME. He may reach 9 soon."

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is Sabu at 2:24. I did not wear the turban, I was the drunk+high guy wearing a Sex Pistols shirt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxc61rdcCXw
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVD #3- I was there at the Stretcher Match- unbelievable. Sabu and RVD tore each other down-HARD body bumps. I was in awe after downing 8 doubles and watching RVD+Sabu in a "slack-rope" match on ECW tv. They performed every move on broken ropes! RVD was really that good.

Raven #2- He is in my top 10 of ALL-TIME! He graces the hall with Superstar, Funk, Sheik, Ladd..........he took me back to kayfabe days. I saw him 20xs-EVERY time he was stellar. I was there at The Crucifixion, Rage in the Cage, Dropping the Strap to Terry ++++++ I spoke to him several times-a genius- LONG LIVE THE RAVEN!

In cat naming news. I also have a cat named Cactus-very sweet gray girl- I gave her to my parents after their cat died. Both of my cats are very loving-funny they are named after bleeding maniacs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fitting that our countdown comes down to a Taz vs. Sabu Barely Legal rematch in the end.

Will it be the Human Suplex Machine or will the Most Homicidal, Suicidal, Genocidal, Death-Defying Athlete on the Planet prevail?

All will soon be revealed....

Hint: The wrestler who received the most first place votes also had the lowest finish of the two men....

Will finish the countdown either tonight or tomorrow morning.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post

It's fitting that our countdown comes down to a Taz vs. Sabu Barely Legal rematch in the end.

Will it be the Human Suplex Machine or will the Most Homicidal, Suicidal, Genocidal, Death-Defying Athlete on the Planet prevail?

All will soon be revealed....

Hint: The wrestler who received the most first place votes also had the lowest finish of the two men....

Will finish the countdown either tonight or tomorrow morning.
    I was there. It was a BIG let-down. Taz broke Sabu's nose with a cross-face in first 5 minutes-wanted much more-Oh well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised Van Dam finished #3 even though that's where I had him on my list, I figured he would go #1 or possibly #2. You had the series of matches against Sabu in Spring-Summer 96 which produced some epic ECW highlights. What I noticed about that series was how green RVD was in their first match(Hostile City Showdown 96?) and how much he improved by the Stretcher Match. Truth be told I was honestly a little underwhelmed by those matches, I remember reading about them back in the day and I built up this tall tale-like greatness in my head that the real thing could never live up to, finally watching the matches in 2012-2013 I was a little let down. I still thought they were really good matches, honestly I should probably go back and watch some of those matches again sometime to see what I think about them now. From there we got Sabu and Van Dam teaming together, the matches against the Eliminators, the great match against Furnas and Lafon in October that year is one of the best ECW matches. Then he went to the WWF turncoat angle coming out of Barely Legal showing up on Raw, this was when I first saw him back in the day. The piledriver he took from Tommy at November to Remember 97 has got to be the greatest piledriver of all time.

I started to fall in love with Van Dam the minute I saw his promo where he broke out the "Van Dam Lift", around that same time he had a great match against Bam Bam Bigelow. Plus I always thought that RVD was really Jean Claude Van Damme's little brother, I was a straight up mark, I kinda even thought pro wrestling was real still. I still mark out for all of RVD's moves being based on JCVD movies, the splits stuff, the Van Daminator kick, love it. JCVD was like a god in my household growing up. Seeing JCVD's weed smoking little brother coming out to Pantera really put ECW over for me, it was hard for me to get into WWF and WCW after that, ECW was the real shit.
    He was a freak of nature in the ring at the time, doing shit that nobody else was doing, like a phenomenal next level athlete type stuff. He was great as the fighting TV Champ defending that title against everybody on the roster, pulling good matches out of guys like Mikey Whipreck, Balls, and Spike Dudley. The RVD vs Jerry Lynn matches were the next level. I still just can't put any ECW matches over those, they are the best ECW matches of all time in my opinion. Van Dam was my favorite wrestler in all of wrestling in the year 2000, especially after he cut that one promo on TNN talking about how he turned down offers from everybody to stick with ECW. The Pantera theme song and the weed references made him my #1 guy, he also just had a really cool personality that clicked with me. One of the most hyped PPV's for me was Heatwave 2000 just because Van Dam was going to break out a new move, I wanted to see that show so fucking bad to see what he was going to do. One of the first things I looked up when I got internet in my house in 2009 was the "Van Terminator"! It took me 9 years to find out what that move was.

One of the most surprising things to me about internet wrestling boards is how loathed RVD is by the smart marks these days. At first I didn't understand how anybody could dislike RVD, then I started watching some of the shit they did with him in WWE, his whole character and personality was so much cooler in ECW, maybe it was just a time and place thing. I notice most fans posting about wrestling on the internet these days got started in the John Cena days, where ECW and RVD to them was like Yokozuna was to me and Bret.

3. RVD
    4. The Sandman
    5. Tommy Dreamer
    6. Shane Douglas
    7. Terry Funk
    8. New Jack
    9. Raven
    10. Cactus Jack
    11. Eliminators
    12. Sabu & RVD
    13. Public Enemy
    14. Yoshihiro Tajiri
    15. Dudley Boys
    16. Stevie Richards
    17. Jerry Lynn
    18. Super Crazy
    19. Lance Storm
    20. 2 Cold Scorpio
    21. Mike Awesome
    22. Eddie Guerrero
    23. Masato Tanaka
    24. Dean Malenko
    25. Rey Mysterio
    26. Steve Corino
    27. Balls Mahoney
    28. Bam Bam Bigelow
    29. Chris Jericho
    30. Pit Bulls
    31. Justin Credible
    32. Doring & Roadkill
    33. Al Snow
    34. Spike Dudley
    35. Mikey Whipreck
    36. Pit Bull 2
    37. Chris Candido
    38. Axl Rotten
    39. 911
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    42. Guido
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    44. Rhino
    45. The Gangstas
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    48. Steve Austin
    49. Brian Pillman
    50. Hack Myers
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-10-2017 at 11:03 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great posts @Baker and @The Icon on RVD, love that Pantera highlight video of him that Bake Bake posted. I like the idea Baker had of dropping the TV title to Lynn in August 99 and then winning the strap at Anarchy Rulz 99, that would have been great. Anarchy Rulz 99 for all the love I throw at it(one of my favorite wrestling shows ever) I still feel like it was a missed opportunity, it was their first PPV after getting on TNN, like me it was probably a lot of people's first time buying/watching a live ECW PPV, first ECW PPV available in Canada, biggest live crowd in ECW history, it was a great time to strike with RVD winning the strap, probably the best time. From there you could have probably did the Mike Awesome feud sooner.

But considering the circumstances I really don't fault Heyman for not pulling the trigger at that time, RVD always was the guy that I figured it was only a matter of time before WWF or WCW stole from ECW. ECW was kind of like a school in that the popular wrestlers reached a point where it was time for them to graduate, Dudleys were ready when they left, Taz was ready, RVD was probably ready after Hardcore Heaven 99, those matches had a lot of buzz, maybe Heyman thought RVD would take the first major offer that came his way and wouldn't be too eager to do the job for somebody on his way out. Also I like the idea of RVD chasing after Mike Awesome to win the title after a proper build up, something that was screwed with the injury and Mike Awesome leaving.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11 Votes-522 Points (Two First Place Votes)
    Taz

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11 Votes-529 Points (Six First Place Votes)
    Sabu

http://www.wwe.com/article/how-sabu-...veryone-forgot

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my all time favorite ECW wrestler Taz at #3.

I was not impressed when I first read about a short wrestler called Taz in the Apter Mags. Yeah, this ECW is real extreme with a wrestler named after a literal cartoon character *insert eyeroll emoji here*. The Apter Mags also praised him around this time for renouncing his Tasmaniac gimmick which seemed incredibly weird and stupid to me at the time. What kind of crap is this? It would be like The Undertaker randomly announcing he wasn't a real Undertaker but just a dude named Mark from Texas. I obviously had no idea where wrestling was heading. And a suplex master? Again, what kind of crap is this? Big deal. There are only like five suplexes anyway.

But Taz grew on me in Apter Mag form. Pretty soon I forgot to be bothered by the fact he was named after a fucking Looney Tunes character. The Apter Mags did a good job of hyping him with gems like "Taz makes up for his lack of size by attacking opponents from odd angles" which is just a spectacular piece of kayfabe. And those pics of the suplexes certainly helped as well. My favorite was what I called the "English Suplex" (T-Bone Tazplex. Also used by Scott Steiner in Apter Mag pic form). The first Tiger Suplex I can remember "seeing" also came courtesy of a Taz Apter Mag pic.

Sabu vs. Taz was hyped so hard that even I, a guy who had never seen a single proper ECW match, was looking forward to it as much as any Wrestlemania main event. I finally saw Taz for the first time when ECW invaded Monday Night Raw but honestly don't remember what I thought about him at the time.

So finally Barely Legal is here. Now I thought the whole time that Sabu would beat Taz. Sabu was THE guy in ECW according to the Apter Mags. Wrestling logic dictated the face (of the company) would surely go over the heel who had been calling him out for 17 months. Never in a million years did I think Taz would actually win. But that designated loser won me over instantly with an awesome promo + highlight package chronicling all the guys he had choked out (many of them plying their trade in the Big Two at the time). Taz clicked with me instantly. Right away I thought he was the baddest man on the planet. And I loved the Taz/Fonzie dynamic. Finally the match was here. And it was honestly kind of disappointing at the time (though it has grown on me since). After all that hype I expected the most mind-blowing, jaw-dropping, nuttiest, extreme war there had ever been or ever would be. It turned out to be more-or-less any old regular match. Maybe slightly above average. But far from an all time classic. And then, shock of shocks, Taz won. Huh? That wasn't supposed to happen. There were some post-match shenanigans leading to a double turn and I was more confused than anything. But I already loved Taz. He was my ECW Guy.

And would remain so until he left for WWF. The more ECW I watched, the more I liked Taz. For you see, Taz is the greatest badass character in wrestling history. The suplexes. The anger. The interviews. Just the way he conducted himself. I totally bought into this 4'2'' dude with a wrecked neck as the baddest man on the planet. Taz had no fear. He'd call out anybody on the planet. Then he'd take 'em to Suplex City and choke 'em out in under five minutes.

Another thing I realized going through these old tapes, and it caused me to like Taz even more than I already did, is Taz was totally justified in the Sabu feud. Sabu DID leave. Sabu DID get all the hype. Sabu DID duck Taz for 17 months. What about him? What about Taz? So I was all "Fuck Sabu. I'm Team Taz."

If I have one criticism of ECW Taz, it's that his offense was too cool, and he was just too dominant. The only way I could ever buy Taz losing is if a nearly 400 pound former Wrestlemania main eventer literally put him through the ring or two hardcore warriors embroiled in a legendary feud of their own united to defeat "The Human Suplex Machine." And, much like The Eliminators, I'd get bored if Taz was in a competitive match. I just wanted to see him squash dudes forever with his awesome offense. Taz going 50/50, or even 80/20, with somebody for longer than five minutes had me tuning out. It just wasn't believable.

Taz vs. the hated Shane Douglas was the best built match of ECW's pay per view era. The right guy won (though it took entirely too long) and Taz's inevitable ECW title reign was....not that great. He had no believable opponents or real heated blood feuds. The highlight of his championship reign was calling out those wimpy Big Two champs who wouldn't last 5 minutes with Taz. I'm glad I got to see him a few times live at The Arena. The first ECW shirt I ever bought was a(n awful) Taz tee and one of my very first ECW white box tapes was a disappointing Best of Taz compilation featuring multiple versions of the exact same squash match from different towns.

Word eventually got out that Taz was leaving for WWF and I was pumped about this. Taz had conquered ECW. There was nothing left for him to do there. It was time to move on. Plus I would now be able to see Taz kick ass twice a week, every week. I wouldn't have thought twice if Taz choked out Austin & Shamrock in under two minutes, though it might take three to put away Undertaker & Kane. I may have been more hyped for Taz's WWF debut than for any debut ever. It started out so well. He squashed hot rookie prospect Kurt Angle to a big pop in his debut match at Royal Rumble 2000. Surely this was the start of a 15 month unbeaten streak which would culminate at Wrestlemania 17 when WWF Champion Taz took on 2001 Royal Rumble winner, the returning Stone Cold Steve Austin, in the biggest match ever. Yes, even bigger than Hogan/Andre at Wrestlemania III. This is legitimately what I thought would happen. I was an idiot.

In reality, Tazzzz's WWF career was done in a month. I lost all hope when I saw him job to a Benoit suplex live in Baltimore in about 2 minutes. Now that I think about it, that's probably why it took me another full year to get behind stupid Chris Benoit

Anyway, yeah, ECW Taz was pretty much the greatest. Any Taz promo or squash is worth watching, especially stuff from November To Remember 95 to Wrestlepalooza 97. Speaking of Wrestlepalooza '97, Taz was awesome there. Love Fonzie's reaction (and that pop!) to Taz finally coming out to confront Team WWF. Fonzie is like all "Dude, leave. The fun is over for now. Taz will kill you. Get out. Just... get out." to Lawler. The GOAT segment ends with Taz squashing Douglas to win the TV Title. Both ppv Taz/Bam Bam matches are fun. Anarchy Rulz '99 is my favorite Tanaka/Awesome match because the inclusion of Taz makes it feel bigger than all the others. Tasmaniac & Sabu vs. Benoit & Malenko was a fun action fest. But it's in squashes where Taz excels most of all.

*I'll cover Sabu later. Then post my list. Then it's on to the next countdown.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first heard of Taz they were hyping his shoot fight with UFC's "Polar Bear" Paul Varelans. I thought at first ECW had a shoot fight division so that was another reason for me getting interested in the company. Yeah the end product sucked at Hardcore Heaven but Taz was still able to captivate me. I had never seen a wrestler this dominate and this real before. I thought everything he did was legit and he had carte blanche over the entire roster to use his suplexes and Judo techniques to the fullest extent as he piled up squash wins. He was ahead of his time with his hybrid MMA style and could have appealed to the wider demographic of sports fans if used properly in the WWF but we found out how that went. His dominate ECW run will always be one of the best booked stretches for a single character in history.

I maybe lazy, or just patting myself on the back Barry Horowitz style, but I can't really top my write-up about Sabu from the favorite wrestlers countdown a few years back. A fitting number 1

I was one of those guys anticipating Sabu's appearance on the list and again am pleasantly surprised where he ended up. Like what Kilgore mentioned with RVD's high spots, Sabu's "propensity to botch" was apart of what made him so captivating to watch. All of his moves were done at odd angles with odd timing with seemingly wrong technique but he molded this style into an art form unto itself. His Arabian Facebusters and Air Sabu spots were disjointed poetry in motion and looked like they just killed his opponents in the process. My introduction to Sabu was actually his ill fated WCW run and his work with the masked "Mr. JL" Jerry Lynn. These two were highlights on those early Nitro shows. He went up several levels in my early ECW viewing days with his series of matches with another relatively new guy on my radar Rob Van Dam. Whether as opponents or as a tag team these two had great chemistry who threw the conventional wrestling rule book out the window and for lack of a better term blazed their own trail. He was also involved in one of the more anticipated builds of all time with Taz. I guess Taz was a little more than pissed that Sabu sold out and went to New Japan a few years back and wanted to bust some Arabian face. Sabu's face was eventually busted with a lethal Taz clothesline and they delivered a solid match while the rest of us were expecting Armageddon to take place at Barely Legal. Maybe Sabu wanted to make up for it in his crazy Born To Be Wired match with Terry Funk? It's still one of the craziest sights I've ever seen in a wrestling ring with a 53 year old Funker completely immersed in barbed wire and apparently close to buying it with it being so close to his Jugular. Oh yeah and Sabu tore up his bicep and used hockey tape to keep going, what a trooper. I wasn't thrilled when he was going to be used in WWECW, he would be watered down in my mind and I didn't watch the show to begin with. He was even misused on the ECW revival shows in 05 and 06 facing Rhyno (huh?) and a past it Rey Mysterio who he had no history with. Outside of the already well established Terry Funk, Sabu is my favorite and in my mind greatest ECW star of all time. He was the embodiment of the promotion with thrilling and cutting edge offense and his willingness to sacrifice his body for the betterment of his opponent and to entertain the crowds. Sabu, pro wrestling's mad scientist, there will never be another.

1. Sabu
    2. Terry Funk
    3. Shane Douglas
    4. The Sandman
    5. Taz
    6. Raven
    7. Tommy Dreamer
    8. Rob Van Dam
    9. The Gangstas
    10. Cactus Jack
    11. The Dudleys
    12. The Eliminators
    13. The Bad Breed
    14. Dean Malenko
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    16. Public Enemy
    17. Mikey Whipwreck
    18. 2 Cold Scorpio
    19. Rey Mysterio
    20. Mike Awesome
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    23. Bam Bam Bigelow
    24. Jerry Lynn
    25. New Jack
    26. Sabu and RVD
    27. Tajiri
    28. The Pitbulls
    29. Masato Tanaka
    30. Steve Austin
    31. Super Crazy
    32. Stevie Richards
    33. Lance Storm
    34. Chris Candido
    35. The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    37. Spike Dudley
    38. Steve Corino
    39. Justin Credible
    40. Balls Mahoney
    41. 911
    42. Rhino
    43. Al Snow
    44. Tommy Cairo
    45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
    46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
    50. Nova

My own supplemental top 10 favorite ECW wrestlers:

1. Sabu
    2. Taz
    3. RVD
    4. The Eliminators
    5. Terry Funk
    6. Mike Awesome
    7. The Sandman
    8. Raven
    9. Tommy Dreamer
    10. Eddie Guerrero

Excellent job with the countdown as always @Baker
    Last edited by The Icon; 05-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PWI 1997 Wrestling Annual
    Watching Sabu wrestle is like hanging around a highway's icy curve waiting for traffic to zoom by...You know that sooner or later, someone's gonna spin out of control and crash into the divider...Or through a table...That Sabu continues to wrestle the way he does with a damaged neck is...Well, words fail us...Almost..."Insane" comes to mine (sic)...So do "reckless" and "incredible"...Then again, Sabu's not the type of competitor to let a little thing like a few broken bones get in the way of his fun...
    I had Sabu at #1 and never really doubted that he would win the whole thing even if Taz did have a small lead through the first 5 or so voters.

My introduction to Sabu & ECW came via the Apter Mags in late '95. Sabu was, by far, the bigger of the two entities. ECW came across more like Sabu's playground than it's own thing. The Apter Mag hype for Sabu was insane and something like the Sabu phenomenon could never exist today. Clips would be all over the internet within a day and they'd be analyzed to death within a week. But the world moved slower in those days. Sabu was the wrestling equivalent of some amazing underground band the mysterious friend of a friend might have told you about. Only said friend of a friend didn't actually have a tape you could listen to because he only knew about this amazing underground band due to some mysterious friend of a friend of his own.

So here is this guy who never appeared in the Big Two yet is getting Top 10 rankings in the prestigious PWI 500 and receiving more magazine coverage than the reigning WWF & WCW Champions. Sabu was like a one man industry for the Apter Mags. Entire pages consisted of nothing more than ads for "Best Of" Sabu tapes with names like "Sabu Across America" "Smashing Tables" and "Moonsault Mayhem." Sabu matches were always described in loving detail in the "Arena Report" section and they seemed to consist exclusively of only the wildest, craziest moves in existence. Sabu was like this elusive half-mythical, semi-legendary creature existing only in blood-stained photographs. Yeah, the same could be said to an extent for the stars of Japan like Misawa & Hashimoto, or the last heroes of Tennessee rasslin' like Brian Christopher & Tracy Smothers, but Sabu had far more hype, and Sabu was much closer to home. Why his Philadelphia stomping ground was only a 90 minute drive up Interstate 95! I could theoretically see Sabu live. I'm never going to see Kobashi or Tony Anthony live. Sabu's short-lived WCW run only added to the myth. Blink and you might miss a glimpse at wrestling's elusive Bigfoot equivalent. Well, I blinked and missed it.

But of course there was a backlash to the hype. Sabu was a hotly debated topic between my friends and I long before we ever saw him wrestle.

Person 1 (usually me ): If Sabu is so great how come he isn't in WWF or WCW?
    Person 2: Because he's too extreme for the Big Two! They can't control him! (We may have been mostly smartened up but kayfabe was still alive and well when it came to Sabu. This was not a work. We legitimately believe he was an uncontrollable lunatic. Learning he walked out on ECW (the house that Sabu built!) had a lot to do with this.)
    or
    Person 1 (usually me again): If Sabu is so great how come he isn't in WWF or WCW?
    Person 2: Because he wrestles in Japan, you dummy! (We respected Japan with AJPW & NJPW being a sort of alternative universe Big Two. Some wrestlers chose to reside in this alternate universe. Sabu's short-lived IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and FMW death match history added to the Sabu Myth because it made us think he was also a major Japanese star in addition to being the God of US independent wrestling)

And so it went for over a year. The Apter Mags never stopped hyping Sabu. Pics of the scarred up bloody freak dominated their pages and match descriptions made his bouts against the likes of Richards, Scorpio, Hakushi & RVD seem like the greatest things in wrestling history. I finally saw Sabu when he showed up on Raw and promptly fell off the Raw sign (lol).

As I mentioned in the Taz post, the Taz/Sabu MATCH OF THE CENTURY was underwhelming and I gravitated away from Sabu and toward Taz before the match even started. Meh. This Sabu wasn't all that. Total magazine creation. He's probably Bill Apter's nephew or something. What a fraud.

The next few Sabu ppv appearances vs. Sandman were even more underwhelming. I really wasn't a Sabu guy. At all. Yeah, I was an idiot back then.

But that finally changed when I started getting the classic ECW tapes. Now I understood. Seeing Sabu get carted to the ring Hannibal Lecter-style and fly around like a maniac in front of a few hundred mutants on the early ECW shows was a revelation. And keep in mind this was 1994. Nobody was doing anything like what Sabu was doing in 1994 US wrestling. He was the best part of those early ECW shows.

And his 1996 run was even better. He was booked almost like 2000s Undertaker in that he was the babyface "conscience" of ECW taking on a bunch of young guys who had to earn his respect while his big feud with Taz was put on the back burner and given all time great slow burn treatment. Sabu had quality bouts with pretty much every young guy in the company during this stretch- Stevie, Scorpio, Mikey, Louie, even Hack Myers. Those guys came out of those matches looking like a million bucks despite losing. And of course there is the all time classic ECW feud vs. RVD during this period. Real time Sabu finally won me over around this same time due to his Wrestlepalooza '98 match with RVD. I was now a Sabu Guy and he would remain my 3rd favorite ECW wrestler forevermore.

Sabu, bolstered by the Apter Mags (and Meltzer?), was the undisputed face of the company in ECW's early years, and I imagine he sold more tapes than every other ECW star combined up until the Rotten feud became a thing. I think Sabu leaving the promotion on bad terms in early '95 hurt him in the long run. Of course he came back, and his 1996 "measuring stick" run ruled, but he was never again THE top guy the way he was in ECW's early days. The Barely Legal loss to Taz was a 'passing the torch' type moment and RVD would later surpass his partner as THE magazine/internet darling as well.

But Sabu still did plenty of quality stuff in ECW's latter days. His team with RVD was coolest on the planet even if they might not have been a 'real' team. The New Triple Threat was too cool to last long since they're unbeatable in kayfabe. Sabu had Sandman's best match and the Sabu vs. Funk barbed wire match is my choice for the greatest match in ECW history. I can also die a happy camper since I got to see a Sabu/RVD match (the Flair/Steamboat of my generation!) live.

History hasn't been kind to Sabu as evidenced by that WWE.com article I linked to in the earlier Sabu post. But I loved his 2005 TNA run and enjoyed few things more than Sabu chucking chairs into the faces of WWE approved pretty boys in 2006. Sabu is a Hall of Famer imo and truly deserving of the top spot in ECW history.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-11-2017 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been fun. Thanks to everybody who contributed. Here is my list.

1. Sabu (1)
    2. RVD (3)
    3. Taz (2)
    4. Raven (4)
    5. Sandman (7-tie)
    6. Tommy Dreamer (7-tie)
    7. Shane Douglas (5)
    8. Terry Funk [6]
    9. Dudley Boyz (10)
    10. Cactus Jack (9)

11. Public Enemy (19)
    12. Stevie Richards (11)
    13. New Jack (12)
    14. Jerry Lynn (13)
    15. Eliminators (18)
    16. 2 Cold Scorpio (14)
    17. Mikey Whipwreck (15)
    18. Justin Credible (30)
    19. Lance Storm (27)
    20. Bam Bam Bigelow (17)

21. Rhino (24)
    22. Steve Corino (30)
    23. Tajiri (21)
    24. Chris Candido (34)
    25. Mike Awesome (16)
    26. Spike Dudley (28)
    27. Gangstas (32)
    28. Balls Mahoney (23)
    29. Impact Players (44)
    30. Al Snow (35)

31. Dean Malenko (26)
    32. Super Crazy (29)
    33. Pitbulls (22)
    34. RVD & Sabu (45)
    35. Masato Tanaka (20)
    36. Eddy Guerrero (25)
    37. Axl Rotten (42)
    38. Little Guido (39)
    39. 911 (37)
    40. Chris Benoit (38)

41. Chris Jericho (36)
    42. Eddie Gilbert (54)
    43. Rey Mysterio Jr. (33)
    44. Nova (56)
    45. Blue Meanie (51)
    46. Brian Lee (48)
    47. Pitbull #2 (74)
    48. JT Smith (88-tie)
    49. Hack Myers (66)
    50. Steve Austin (40)

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome job with the countdown Baker. Sabu is a fitting, worthy #1.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My list I'll get back to thoughts on Sabu+Taz- Kerouac to read right now.
    . #####!!!!!111111111=Sabu 2. Raven 3. RVD 4. Terry Funk 5.Cactus 6. Shane 7. New Jack
    8. Tazz 9. Dreamer 10. Sandman 11. Tanaka 12. Mike Awesome 13. Too Cold. 14. Mikey 15. Balls 16. AXL 17. Perry 18. Eddie Guerrero 19. Malenko 20. Benoit 21. Stevie 22. Tajiri 23. Super Crazy 24. Bam Bam 25. Brian Lee 26. Rey Mysterio 27. Spike 28. Pitbull #1 29. Rhino 30. Al Snow 31. Jericho 32. Tommy Rich 33. Mustafa 34. Corino 35. Kronos 36. Rude 37. Pillman 38. Roadkill 39. Ian Rotten 40. Terry Gordy 41. Danny Doring 42. Rocco Rock 43. Louie Spicoldi 44. Tommy Cairo 45. Tracy Smothers 46. JT Smith. 47 Francine 48.Johnny Grunge 49.Guido 50. Pitbull2

Screw Big Dick+911 Francine's tits win over

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes- Stevie would be in top 10- Paul E would be #1 Cult Leader- Jerry Lynn would crack top 20----Dudleys? They did bleed for me-they would get mention somewhere------------------------Sinister Minister would get #51 for blowing his hand up with pyro! That is ECDUB!

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's a fitting 1/2. Taz and Sabu were the main attractions to ECW for me, there were a bunch of other wrestlers I found to be really cool but it was these two wrestlers that gave ECW it's identity, what Cro Cop and Wanderlie were to Pride Taz and Sabu were to ECW for me. Sabu was a pro wrestler that I was obsessed with when I was a kid, my favorite pro wrestler in the entire business in 1999, which is saying something considering all the greats that were kicking it that year. There was just something about Sabu and what he did that really got me off. He's a worthy #1 when you take a look at his ECW career, going back to 1994 where he was probably at his most revolutionary, doing moves and shit that he would later forget about and drop from his repertoir. He had some good matches against Cactus in 94, his run in 95-96 where he was like the defender of the faith babyface of ECW. The series with Van Dam, great matches against Mikey and Scorpio that year, the tag team match with Van Dam against Furnas and Lafon, cream of the ECW crop of matches. Then we had the bar-b-q with Funk, the Stairway to Hell against Sandman. I wish Heyman would have booked Sabu stronger in his last 3 years instead of mostly using him to put other people over, trying to push him as a WWF guy in 97 was pretty whack looking back at it now, it all came down to Sabu just not being a Heyman guy, it's too bad.

Taz was my #1. I was a straight up mark for Taz back in the day, I thought he was 100% legit. Watching through the old tapes over the last 5 years there is a lot of stuff that either hasn't aged well or wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but one thing is for certain; I think the Taz stuff in ECW has aged like a fine wine. From his heel turn at November to Remember 95 until he dropped THE STRAP at Anarchy Rulz 99, not only one of my favorite pro wrestlers of all time but one of my favorite fictional characters in any type of media. He cut such great promos and just played one of my all time favorite characters, masterfully booked by Heyman, character was a decade ahead of it's time, a better shooter style wrestling character than anything that's come after him, including Brock and Goldberg. Taz is up there with Taker and Bret as one of my absolute favorite pro wrestlers of all time. When WWE called him up just to bury him I quit watching pro wrestling for a long time.

1. Taz
    2. Sabu

3. RVD
    4. The Sandman
    5. Tommy Dreamer
    6. Shane Douglas
    7. Terry Funk
    8. New Jack
    9. Raven
    10. Cactus Jack
    11. Eliminators
    12. Sabu & RVD
    13. Public Enemy
    14. Yoshihiro Tajiri
    15. Dudley Boys
    16. Stevie Richards
    17. Jerry Lynn
    18. Super Crazy
    19. Lance Storm
    20. 2 Cold Scorpio
    21. Mike Awesome
    22. Eddie Guerrero
    23. Masato Tanaka
    24. Dean Malenko
    25. Rey Mysterio
    26. Steve Corino
    27. Balls Mahoney
    28. Bam Bam Bigelow
    29. Chris Jericho
    30. Pit Bulls
    31. Justin Credible
    32. Doring & Roadkill
    33. Al Snow
    34. Spike Dudley
    35. Mikey Whipreck
    36. Pit Bull 2
    37. Chris Candido
    38. Axl Rotten
    39. 911
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    42. Guido
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    44. Rhino
    45. The Gangstas
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    48. Steve Austin
    49. Brian Pillman
    50. Hack Myers

@Baker you are truly the man for doing this, I can only imagine everybody sending in top 50 lists made this quite a bit of work and you hammered it out in a timely fashion. Nicely done my friend, this has been the best thing on the internet for the past month. We've pounded it out and talked about ECW A LOT over the past 5 years, we've been here talking about ECW almost as long as it actually existed 20 years ago, there's really not a hell of a whole lot left to talk about. I really enjoyed this countdown though, stirred it all back up and got me excited about ECW once again. The shit will just never die.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVD: It took me a while to warm up to RVD. As a general rule, I hate "Karate Guys" in wrestling. I can't think of anything lamer than Karate. So at first, Van Dam struck me as (not as good) Sabu + Karate, and it was like, fuck you. Nobody ever watched Sabu and thought, "If only he did Karate!" Mr. Monday Night Era RVD is when I finally got it (although the 1996 Sabu feud has the best matches they ever had against each other). The slumming it in ECW character existed before RVD (best done by a certain Extreme Superstar previously), but RVD was a genuine ECW guy with this gimmick, so it was brilliant. RVD was better than everybody in Monday Night Wrestling, but he was stuck in a Bingo Hall and not quite pissed off about it because RVD didn't get pissed off, so mildly perturbed? At some point, when the workrate caught up to the swagger, and it became, RVD is better than everybody in Monday Night Wrestling, but he chooses to be here instead, you have (quite possibly) the most over wrestling in ECW history, which made a habit out of getting pretty much everybody over. Television Champion RVD was more over than I could ever describe, and Baker has come closest to describing it. He was like a folk hero. Most of the ECW legends are ECW legends because that was the only place they could have succeeded. That's what made the whole damn thing so endearing. Where else are Sandman, New Jack, Tommy Dreamer, The Public Enemy going to be legends? RVD as the guy who could sell out whenever he wants, but didn't, made him a special kind of over. This was clearly a choice. He flirted with it, but he never did, 'til the bitter end, wrestling the last real televised ECW match ever.

Taz:

Taz

3 Letters
    1 Man
    4 Feet

All time great sign, that I saw on Nitro, of all places. Considering their recent feud seemed to get a lot of groans here, it may have lost some of its luster, but Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, whether they know it or not, are doing Taz, and quite frankly, despite their vastly more successful careers, aren't doing it as well. A Suplex City ain't got shit on a Suplex Machine. I've seen Terminator. Machines destroy cities every single time. Taz was Brock and Heyman in one 4 foot body. He'll suplex the shit out of people, and cut ridiculously good promos before and after doing so. MMA fighting guy gimmicks are touchy in pro wrestling because both fanbases tend to like to keep their sports seperate for some strange reason, but because Taz was doing this so early, he transitioned from Tasmanic to Taz about 18 months after the first UFC, Taz wasn't really an "MMA" guy, he was just the greatest ass kicker in wrestling, like he had advanced to some higher plane of fucking people up. Heel Taz with Fonzie is my favorite Taz era. He just made a better heel, as this dickhead bully, and there's nothing better than a heel who is correct, which he was. Taz was also made for the chase. I suppose most are better suited to chase a title then have it (Ric Flair being an exception), but pissed off Taz, needed something in his sights to be at his most compelling. It's no coincidence that he was involved in the best built feud (Sabu), and the best built ECW Title Match (Shane Douglas), as Taz's chase of those two is everything pro wrestling should be about. He was obsessed. In retrospect, the best thing for his title run would have been an inversion of characters where somebody had become obsessed with him and they could build to that showdown, but personalities wouldn't really allow that. RVD would have been the guy, and him being obsessed wouldn't work, and neither would Taz not immediately fighting whichever dumb fuck wanted a piece of him. The build would have been thirty seconds. This is why his title reign was always destined to be anticlimactic. No matter, Taz was already an ECW legend by then, with 1996 Taz being one of the great wrestling characters of all time.

Sabu: When it comes to ECW, there's Sabu, and then everybody else. I think he's as clear a number one as their can be. My Sabu lovefests are probably tiresome, at this point, but I find it legit baffling how Sabu is a person. In my mind, he's like a mythical creature. I don't know how he invented his singular style. Like forget that you've seen him do it a hundred times, and just think for a second, who the fuck thinks of the triple jump moonsault? In 1993! Did you watch wrestling in 1993? How does that even happen? I'm not even trying to go on some "everybody is a pussy nowadays" rant, but we see how often people get injured in wrestling, in sports in general, and it's not that people are pussies, the human body is just fragile. Unless you're Sabu. Sabu wrestled a style more reckless than Foley, was durable the entire time, and not only didn't have the breaks Foley did, but worked full time until October of last year. Sabu is an alien, whose alien mind created the most innovative style of all time (not even hyperbole), and made him impervious to Earthling flaws like pain or fear. Intentional, or unintentional, this small fry promotion that we just celebrated was made entirely in Sabu's image. Did anybody sell the ECW image better? Every TV opening was like 60% Sabu. Did anybody sell more tapes? What does ECW even look like in 1994 if Sabu doesn't exist? Do PE break tables? Do the Dudley's ever break tables? Or the Hardy's? Does a Spanish Announce table ever get broken? What does wrestling look like without Sabu? I think we're talking about one of the most important wrestlers ever here and certainly the ECW Icon among other ECW icons.

ECW: My favorite wrestling thing ever. Props to ShinobiMusashi, the only reason I ended up here, all the folks at PW who keep ECW alive, and of course, Baker for running this thing. ECW nostalgia gives me the feels.

Finally, I just want to point out the Barely Legal Card, which turned 20, almost exactly a month ago:

The Eliminators vs. The Dudley Boyz
    Rob Van Dam vs. Lance Storm
    The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada and Masato Yakushiji1 vs. bWo Japan (Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy and Dick Togo)
    Shane Douglas (with Francine) vs. Pitbull #2
    Taz (with Bill Alfonso) vs. Sabu
    Terry Funk vs. The Sandman and Stevie Richards
    Terry Funk vs. Raven

That's 9 of our Top 11 on a single card, with Tommy Dreamer being a part of the festivities, making it 10 of 11 (and you get the feeling Foley would have showed up too if he could). Who's the curtain jerkers? It's certainly not the Eliminators and Dudley's. Who's stuck in the midcard? It's certainly not Taz and Sabu. ECW transcended bullshit wrestling ceilings of openers, midcarders, main eventers. When ECW was rolling, every aspect of the show shared the same importance. It was a sum of its parts. Matches one through seven could all have a Top 10 guy in it, and they'll throw in one of the great six man tags in too for a bonus. January 1995 to June 1997, it was the best booked wrestling show of all time.

Last edited by Kilgore; 05-12-2017 at 02:27 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taz ticked me off-never bled-didn't bump too often-he had TEAM TAZ around him-why did the baddest man on the planet need bodyguards? He was OK, his attitude reminded me of my Philly Italian steroid buddies--You aye Messing with ME????????

Sabu was THE MAN. Total disregard for his own safety. I saw him 15 xs-EVERY time he destroyed himself. I saw his ankle bounce off a rail-he limped for 3 minutes then back up onto the ropes. Stairway to Hell with Sandy was really sick. They both were covered in welts+blood. His RVD series was one of the best feuds EVER! I'm going to post my ECW photos some day. I have a whole book of Sabu .

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man what a post by @Kilgore.

Edit: Also, the fact that so many ECW fans post here is what makes PW the coolest wrestling board on the internet. You got a pretty good handful of folks here that have actually gone to ECW shows back in the day, you don't really see that on the 2-3 other wrestling forums I used to post on. I love that, and I'm super jealous of every single one of you fuckers.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Man what a post by @Kilgore.

Edit: Also, the fact that so many ECW fans post here is what makes PW the coolest wrestling board on the internet. You got a pretty good handful of folks here that have actually gone to ECW shows back in the day, you don't really see that on the 2-3 other wrestling forums I used to post on. I love that, and I'm super jealous of every single one of you fuckers.
    You and me both, a part of me hopes they make The Arena some sort of historical site so I can visit it some day.

It says something that people want to make a pilgrimage to a shit hole in South Philly, but it's our shit hole.

Thread Information