10 Votes-207 Points
    Justin Credible

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Al Snow- After seeing bits and pieces of his run as a New Rocker Al Snow was a bit of a revelation when I was catching up on what I missed from 1994/95 in ECW. His match against Benoit from Double Tables made me view him in a different light from the goof ball I saw in WWF. I was lukewarm on his return in 1997 as his Head/J.O.B squad storyline was good comedy but he just wasn't getting it done in the ring stinking it up with Shane Douglas most notably at Living Dangerously. Still though he got to number 43 on my list even though his stays in ECW were inconsistent.

Chris Candido- Number 34 on my list, Candido was a good foot soldier for ECW dating back to his days in the Suicide Blonds stable in 1993. I was more familiar with his "no gimmicks required" period when he was feuding then teaming with Lance Storm. He also seemed like a guy that the ECW faithful would rag on but his in ring skill made up for his pretty boy look and WWF stink, plus he had Sunny.

Rey Mysterio- I had already broke my cherry with Rey seeing his WCW debut before I got to his ECW work. It was more of the same though as he was blowing the minds of the fans at The Arena. He added another dimension to the ECW product providing innovative in ring work which made ECW the must watch independent. This got him to number 19 on my list.

The Gangstas- They deserve a much higher ranking but it is hard to recover from one half of your team acting like a surgeon in the ring at times and being mostly despised as an individual. The Gangstas were another vital element in making ECW stand out to me with Natural Born Killas playing during their matches and immediately cutting to the chase with the weapons to go with the nature of their promos. They along with Raven were the most "of the times" acts in wrestling in 1995/96 and I think they related to a lot of the audience which added to ECW's popularity Their feud with the Eliminators is still one of the most enjoyable feuds in ECW history and is mayhem personfied. They were a must for my top 10 reaching number 9.

Justin Credible- For many probably the worst ECW champion in history. He did make things work with Lance Storm however and wasn't annoying for his whole relatively lengthy tenure so he got to number 39 on my list. Plus I still use his name as a bad pun to this day.

9. The Gangstas
    13. The Bad Breed
    19. Rey Mysterio
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    26. Sabu and RVD
    30. Steve Austin
    34. Chris Candido
    35. The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    39. Justin Credible
    41. 911
    43. Al Snow
    44. Tommy Cairo
    45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
    46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
    50. Nova

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Big gap between #34 & 35 while 31-34 are tightly bunched.

Al Snow- #30 on my list. Head Al Snow is one of those Brian Christopher/Disco Inferno/Hurricane deals where even I have some retroactive shame over enjoying them. At One Night Stand Joey Styles famously said something like "if ever there was a gimmick that didn't didn't deserve to draw a dime and ended up making a boatload of money it's the Blue World Order." I disagree. Al Snow w/ Head was far dumber than the awesome BWO. I mean it was just the dumbest thing, and Al Snow wasn't funny in the role, but, to my everlasting shame, I was right there leading the cheers. In fact, he was my favorite ECW wrestler for a few months. See, Snow became one of my guys as Leif Cassidy in 1996 WWF where he was actually funny, and did a bunch of cool moves, but bottom of the barrel when it came to push. He was basically a jobber with music. So to see one of My Guys break out in such a massive way was like a personal victory. I didn't care that the gimmick was stupid as can be. I didn't care that Snow had dropped most of the cool moves for character-based comedy brawling. I was just tickled pink over one of My Guys coming out of nowhere to make it big. He was the most popular guy in the entire company for a few months there. Snow challenging Douglas for the ECW Title surpasses even Taz/Douglas when it comes to the ECW matches I was mostly looking forward to seeing in real time. I, like everybody in the building, was gutted when Snow lost. He left the company a few days later and I soon grew tired of him. Credit to Heyman for the visual brilliance created by handing out all those mannequin heads to the rabid ECW faithful. Snow also had a stellar ECW match w/ Benoit in his early pre-Head, even pre-Leif, days. And wearing that goofy New Rockers gear in ECW took some balls.

Chris Candido- #24 on my list which is probably too high. Think I was actually the high voter for him which is weird considering I was never a fan. It took until his 2005 TNA run to finally shake off the stench of Skip as far as I was concerned. But Candido was a solid midcard hand that stuck around for a pretty long time and he was a decent enough Tully Blanchard to Shane's Ric Flair.

Rey Mysterio Jr.- #43 on my list. Only wrestled 9 matches for the company but most of them were innovative & spectacular. The original Psicosis matches ended up being hugely influential and deserve much of the credit for introducing Lucha-style wrestling to America. Those along with the Juvy match I've seen in full were still great when I finally got around to watching them in 1998, by which time I had become at least slightly desensitized to crazy high flying cruiserweight wrestling. I can only imagine how mind-blowing they would have been had I watched them when they originally happened. That was like wrestling from another planet compared to standard 95-early 96 mainstream US wrestling fare. Plus Rey's one off team w/ 911 is one of the better odd couple pairings I've seen. It's a shame we never got the teased Taz/Rey match. That would have been amazing.

The Gangstas- #27 on my list. I'm much more of a New Jack singles fan, and not much of a Gangstas fan to be honest, but they were hugely over during their entire run. They made an immediate impact by feuding with ECW's top team Public Enemy. Their bloody matches got a lot of Apter Mag attention and even some non-wrestling notice due to Weezer. The 1996 ECW tag division was pretty much Eliminators vs. Gangstas in brawls all year long w/ random teams occasionally mixed in for 3 & 4 ways. Think they were my #4 ranked ECW team which seems about right.

Justin Credible- #18 on my list. It's no secret that I'm not a Credible fan but he was a big part of the promotion for pretty much his entire run and the top heel in the company for a while. His push was ridiculous. Won a feud over Triple Crown winner Mikey. Beat, and kayfabe injured, smark darling Great Sasuke. Won a feud over then-similarly tiered guy Jerry Lynn. Got the insta-heat by interrupting the 10 bell salute for Dreamer's grandfather and feuding with the popular Tom Tom on & off for years. Was credited with running Sandman out of the company and got the rub of being the new Singapore Cane guy. Turned Douglas face (which actually had me kinda sorta rooting for Douglas!). Beat Sabu at Anarchy Rulz when wrestling logic dictated that would be Sabu's big comeback win. Ended Tommy Dreamer's feel good title win in a matter of minutes. That's just an insane push. Only held the ECW Title for a little over 5 months. It felt more like 5 years. Throw in the fact that he was Aldo f'n Montoya glomming off more popular wrestlers (Raven's attire, Sandman's cane, DX taunts & moves, Undertaker's finisher, Austin's shaved head & goatee, etc.) and he was pretty much the worst. BUT a heavily pushed/important "worst."

*Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-22-2017 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    *Probably won't be dropping another 5 tonight. Gonna be busy and this will give people a chance to catch up.
    Sometimes plans change.

11 Votes-219 Points
    Steve Corino

11 Votes-221 Points
    Super Crazy

10 Votes-229 Points
    Spike Dudley

10 Votes-238 Points
    Lance Storm

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Al Snow: I was not an Al Snow/Leif Cassidy fan. Compared to WCW's "workrate" guys, Leif as a WWF "workrate" guy seemed laughable. I had not yet seen his first ECW run (or his matches against Sabu pre-ECW even), so I thought Leif sucked. I was surprised when I found myself thinking Al was the best part of ECW's show a month or two later. This was inexplicable. As far as I was concerned, it would be like Mosh or Thrasher all of a sudden fucking ruled. I like Baker's breaking down the Head Era as the stupidest thing ever because it really was. Last year I uploaded an Al Snow/Prodigy video from 1997 on Youtube and simply wrote in the discussion, "You had to be there", because watching it with 2016 eyes, it did not make sense why it ruled so hard. But it did. Had Vinny Mac not requested Al Snow back, Snow would have been the ECW Champion and everybody would have been happy. That's fucking insane.

Chris Candido: I ranked Candido in the 40's. I'm not a fan at all. He was in ECW, on and off, forever, and what was his signature moment? He was always just there, wrestling solid matches, but not good enough where I thought of him as a workrate guy. Not charismatic or good enough on the stick where I gave a shit about any feud he was ever in. If you were rating everything Candido did 1-5, maybe he'd be 3's across the board. I'll take a guy that has a 5 in one area and 1's everywhere else over that. I need one thing to cling to, to care. Tammy was the only thing close to that for me.

Rey Mysterio Jr.: A Sabu tier astronaut as far I was concerned. 1995/1996 is the most impressive high flyer I've ever seen, and as far as the US went, ECW showcased him first. Even if it was one match, I'd rate him high for the holy shit nature of what that match would have been. Besides the Psicosis/Juvy matches, he had the fun odd couple pairing with 911, which automatically makes you a bonafide ECW guy, and not just merely somebody who made a stop there before bigger and better things

The Gangstas: I'll reserve judgement for who comes up in the next few batches, but I have to say, this is feeling a little too low at the moment. SMW deserves some credit, but The Gangstas in ECW brought an unpredictability in wrestling that was Monday Night Wars before Monday Night Wars. Showing up unexpectedly, kicking some asses, getting arrested, doing it all over again the next week. I love New Jack as a solo act, but it never got better than The Gangstas for me. New Jack talking shit, with Mustfa, looking like an escaped mental patient next to him, as they'd go to the ring and have the most hardcore tag matches I had ever seen up to that point. These were the hardest motherfuckers ECW ever saw and were the perfect replacements for The Public Enemy, who seemed even more like cosplayers once they started sharing the ring with the real deal.

Justin Credible: I seem to be a rarity with Justin Credible where I never had a strong opinion of him. I liked him at times, never enough to call myself a fan, but I never hated him in the bad sort of way most seemed to. He was mostly reserved to mid card pre-Impact Players, which seemed about right. Beating Tommy and Sandman was rub, sure, but Tommy and Sandman seemed to lose to everybody. It wasn't like Justin was pinning Taz, or something. I thought he was solid in the way that others seemed to think Candido was solid, as a reliable midcard guy, but in Credible's case, in feuds I actually cared a little about. I loved The Impact Players. I got no real problems with Justin Credible. Of course, he should have never been the ECW Champion, but that was a thin roster, at the time, and I've yet to see a really good alternative. Just okay ones, who's only real strength was that they weren't Justin Credible.

Steve Corino: Sometimes in wrestling you peg things right. A lot of the times you peg things wrong. I got Steve Corino right. I bought Steve Corino ECW stock early, man and he even surpassed my expectations. Just pre-Corino, I remember being in high school, daydreaming about anything during class, including being a pro wrestler from time to time, and I was basically Steve Corino. A baby faced shit talker that inexplicably starts backing up his big talk. Like an inversion of the rootable underdog. The guy that shouldn't win, yet he does, and then you hate them even more for doing so. Corino showing up in ECW, looking 16-years-old and 160 pounds, was basically my ECW avatar. I got a kick out of him as a manager, but once he started wrestling and he got even more brutal on his promos, this was my dude. From the bloodbath against Tajiri, to the bloodbath against Rhodes, to the bloodbath against everybody else en route to an ECW Championship, this was an inexplicable rise that I think, was Paul E.'s last masterpiece. With the closing of ECW and WCW within months of each other, and WWF having no real interest, Corino deserved so much better because 2001/2002 should have been the greatest years of Corino's wrestling life.

Super Crazy: Rey and Psicosis did Extreme Lucha Libre, but Super Crazy was the first Extreme Luchador. He was made for ECW, and the fact that he got over more than Tajiri at first is proof of this. Tajiri needed a little time to figure stuff out. Super Crazy, you could have just dropped off at the ECW Arena, without him ever seeing the product, and he'd immediately win the night regardless. Super Crazy has my favorite moonsault of all time. It was so effortless, and the first third of the rotation happened quicker than anybody before or since. It's very distinct to me. Do some Sin City silhouettes of moonsaults, and I'd pick Super Crazy out ten times out of ten. Like Corino, I would have loved to see Super Crazy in WCW in 2001, had there been more of a WCW in 2001.

Spike Dudley: I had to remind myself tonight that Spike had a pretty successful WWF/E run. What a credit to the Dudley Boyz gimmick and the years of bumping Spike did in ECW to get there. I don't know if the Spike gimmick gets enough credit. The drug abused fetus of Spike becoming the runt of the family and this insane kind of chihuahua ready to scrap with anything in front of him. At first, it seemed like all Spike could do was bump, jump from high things, and do the Acid Drop, and those were three awesome things, so that was more than enough. The first Extreme Crowd Surfing at As Good As It Gets is one of my favorite moments in ECW history. Just thinking about how much things are set up in wrestling, and then you take a moment like that, where they just had to have faith that the fans would catch him, and of course they did.

Lance Storm: Once he lost the rat tail, he instantly got significantly better. I think Lance is a bit overrated as a "workrate" guy, but he was better than Candido, and despite his "boring" gimmick, I always found something compelling about him. I thought he wrestled with more charisma than he'll ever get credit for and his springboard in 1997/1998 was my favorite I had ever seen up to that point. It was just a pretty springboard. Lance Storm vs. Jerry Lynn at Anarchy Rulz is probably a Top 10 match in ECW history. The Impact Players ruled. The teacher and the student, crossing paths years later, and wrecking the shit out of ECW 1994ers, I think it was the best period in both of their careers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabu and Van Dam were like the most awesome thing in wrestling to me in late 1998. Just loved the moves that they would do so much.

I forgot about Impact Players. Should have definitely made my list.

Pillman made it low on my list. I kinda wish I would have put him on my non-wrestler list instead. Pillman's personality was just one of a kind and it fit perfectly with ECW. Pillman was too good for pro wrestling. The guy should have been doing Wesley Snipes and Steven Seagal movies, playing a villain in episodes of X-Files and Walker Texas Ranger.

Axl made my list, some of those matches against Ian were really great for the style they were going for, hardcore wrestling is a sick and twisted art, like bringing a horror movie to life in front of a live audience, creating images that were made to sell magazines. You want to talk about a fucking feud, Axl vs Ian Rotten in ECW, that's a fucking feud.

Austin made the bottom of my list. ECW 1995 is some of my all time favorite wrestling. Company running on food stamps in a bingo hall was putting on a way better product than Vince Mcmahon or Ted Turner, basically laying the groundwork for the Attitude Era and setting templates that WWE would continue to use to this day. Big part of what makes ECW '95 some of my favorite shit of all time was the little 5-6 week long stint that Stone Cold did there in the Fall. All of his appearances were solid gold, to me some of his best work overall because of how unhinged and uncensored he was, he was a ruthless Texas redneck on the mic from his first promo in his rarely seen debut in New York when he confronted Sandman and Mikey. Then his ECW Arena debut promo telling Woman that she looked like a $5 piece of ass and if he had $5 and a clothespin to put over his nose he'd probably give her a try. Then you had the epic promos that Kilgore linked, solid gold, I even liked his matches with Sandman and Mikey. Austin finding his groove in ECW is one of my favorite things about ECW lore. That combined with all the other stuff happening in 95 ECW makes that some of my favorite pro wrestling television of any run any promotion ever had.

Guido is another from my list, been involved in some great matches with Tajiri and Super Crazy, I was always interested in how he worked in UWFI and trained for a brief period of time under Billy Robinson. Would have liked to have seen Guido incorporate some of the shoot style stuff into his style instead of always being the goofy overbumping style heel comedy act, I think shoot style was just never something he was that good at though so he just always stuck to what got him to the dance. He wrestled on every single ECW pay per view except for Hardcore Heaven 97, and he wrestled in ECW in it's first batch of shows in 1992 as Damien Stone. He just had such great chemistry with Crazy and Tajiri, he sold Tajiri's kicks and the tree of woe probably better than anybody else. He was fast and athletic enough to keep up with those guys in 3 way matches, the one they had at Anarchy Rulz 99 is one of my favorite ECW matches. Also I like the Guido/Tracey Smothers/Tommy Rich FBI they had going in 97-98.

Benoit I never really seen much of his ECW run other than his involvement in the 3 way feud they had going with Benoit/Malenko vs Public Enemy vs Sabu/Taz, which was the main storyline going in ECW from late 94 up to the Three Way Dance show in April 95 where Sabu no-showed the big blow off match and was publicly fired by Heyman in a promo in the ring.

I love 911. The skits they were doing with Paul Heyman coming out with him to break up shitty matches were great. Some of the stuff they did with Heyman and Brock in WWE was copied from Heyman and 911 in ECW, motherfuckers STILL copying ECW to this day. The build up to his chokeslam on Fonzie in 95 was some of the best shit, the actual chokeslam itself was like one of the most epic ECW moments ever.

I loved the way Heyman booked the 4 way feud over the TV title in 96 with Jericho vs Scorpio vs Douglas vs Pitbull 2, Jericho vs Pitbull 2 is a pretty underrated ECW match, the 4 way at Heatwave 96 was awesome as was his match against Mikey at A Matter of Respect.

I was a huge Al Snow fan back in the day. I still think his ECW promos were pretty funny. Its crazy how over he got in ECW, was probably going to be the ECW World Champ throughout 1998, he was one of those acts that could have crossed over and brought in new fans for ECW in late 98 early 99. Absolutely loved those Prodigy videos that they used to make, @Kilgore uploaded a few of them:

I had some friends back in the day/98 that were older and way cooler than me, gnarly ass weed smoking Pantera guys that thought pro wrestling was gay. They liked Prodigy so I showed them one of my ECW tapes with the Snow music video and they thought it was awesome. I'd be embarrassed to show them all the WWF and WCW tapes I had but ECW was cool, I almost got them into it.

Candido I like. If there is one thing I regret about my list I'd probably list Candido and Lance Storm tag team instead of Candido as a singles guy. Kilgore is right about Candido never really having any signature moments. I always thought he was a solid wrestler though, his best match for me would probably be the mixed partner tag match where Candido/Storm and Sabu/RVD switched partners and went against each other in 98, I can't remember who exactly teamed with who, I believe it might have been Sabu/Candido vs Storm/RVD or the other way around but it was an excellent match. Probably one of the best in ECW history, certainly one of the best tag matches in ECW history. I liked Candido's personality, he was funny on promos and he took Tazplexes better than just about anybody. He was good with the goofy heel overselling when he was on.

Absolutely love Mysterio in ECW. He had the series of matches with Psicosis in 95, a pair of great matches with Juvy in 96, the pairing with 911 against Eliminators but also had a really decent match against Mikey Whipreck for the ECW World Title in 95 and the tag match with Konnan against Psicosis and La Parka. The Rey vs Juvy/Psicosis matches to me are some of the best ECW matches you are going to find.

I think I put the Gangstas way too low on my list. I always found Mustafa to be pretty worthless though, he didn't really add anything to what New Jack did. They were in some really bad matches there towards the end of 96 and the three way feud with Eliminators and Dudleys in 97 was some god awful matches too. But the way they debuted in ECW in 95 was excellent, and the whole feud with Public Enemy was great to me with the whole West Coast vs East Coast thing that tied into what was going on in hip hop music in 95.

Just like Yokozuna Justin Credible is a guy I hated so much back in the day but my opinion has changed a lot looking back now with a different perspective. Credible had some great matches in ECW, against The Great Sasuke at House Party 98(another match they had in late 97 was good) against Jerry Lynn at A Matter of Respect 98, and against Sabu at Anarchy Rulz 99. Also the Impact Players were awesome. I regret not finding a spot on my list for the Impact Players.

Been super busy so I'm running behind with this thing. I'll catch up on the next batch a little later.

12. Sabu & RVD
    25. Rey Mysterio
    29. Chris Jericho
    31. Justin Credible
    32. Doring & Roadkill
    33. Al Snow
    36. Pit Bull 2
    37. Chris Candido
    38. Axl Rotten
    39. 911
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    42. Guido
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    45. The Gangstas
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    48. Steve Austin
    49. Brian Pillman
    50. Hack Myers
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, again, I feel like I won't have much to contribute... certainly nothing beyond what's already being said by others, so there might not be much to my occasional posts in here other than revealing my votes/personal rankings. Regarding my votes, in order to squeeze as many guys onto my list as possible, I tried to avoid double-dipping as much as possible (i.e., refrain from listing tag teams and then each member as a singles guy too)... which made things really tricky with certain folks, but oh well. Then, regarding my personal rankings, I wish I'd defined a more concrete criteria for myself at the outset. My criteria was pretty fluid, and looking back at my list now, it's clear that I would arbitrarily weight different things differently at different times. Again, oh well. Honestly, looking at my list, I think that I threw around brownie points to guys who would go onto much greater notoriety AFTER their ECW runs on the principle that their greater successes and higher profiles benefited the legacy of ECW retrogressively by reminding people decades later of ECW's wildness and greatness. If that makes sense. Anyway... I'm surprised no one else dug little James Maritato as much as me!

Quote Originally Posted by PI
    1. [...]
    2. [...]
    3. [...]
    4. [...]
    5. [...]
    6. [...]
    7. [...]
    8. [...]
    9. [...]
    10. [...]
    11. [...]
    12. [...]
    13. [...]
    14. The Gangstas (#32)
    15. [...]
    16. The Bad Breed (#41)
    17. [...]
    18. [...]
    19. [...]
    20. [...]
    21. The Impact Players (#44)
    22. [...]
    23. [...]
    24. [...]
    25. Eddie Gilbert (#54)
    26. [...]
    27. Al Snow (#35)
    28. 911 (#37)
    29. [...]
    30. [...]
    31. Chris Benoit (#38)
    32. Steve Austin (#40)
    33. Chris Candido (#34)
    34. [...]
    35. Brian Pillman (#43)
    36. Rey Mysterio (#33)
    37. Spike Dudley (#28)
    38. Chris Jericho (#36)
    39. [...]
    40. Justin Credible (#31)
    41. Ron Simmons (#63)
    42. Jimmy Snuka (#46)
    43. Lance Storm (#27)
    44. Steve Corino (#30)
    45. Little Guido (#39)
    46. Psicosis (#50)
    47. Super Crazy (#29)
    48. Jerry Lawler (#97)
    49. Jason Knight (#76)
    50. Kevin Sullivan (#101)
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give you guys something to write about while I'm away for the day and now you'll learn the reason I stopped after 4 instead of my usual 5 yesterday. This battle was one of my favorite things to watch when adding up the votes. They were neck & neck the entire time often trading the lead and I don't think there was ever a time when they were more than 5 points apart. These two will be forever linked in ECW lore as much as any tag team. It is fitting that they were separated by only 1 point in the end. Without further ado....

11 Votes-252 Points
    Dean Malenko

11 Votes-253 Points
    Eddy Guerrero

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Corino's run in ECW is comparable to Stevie Richards. Started out at the bottom as a comedy act almost, worked and bled his way to the top. Probably would have been a great guy for WCW in 2001-2002 had they not gone out of business. Was great on the mic.

Super Crazy was one of my favorite guys in ECW in 99-2000. Also was always a big Spike fan, awesome to see that he got a great run in the WWF in those years after I quit watching wrestling.

Lance Storm was one of my guys because he was from the same place as Bret, Calgary... Alberta Canada. Watching through 1998 a few years ago he was a great young talent that was pushed very well that year. I really loved him and Dawn Marie together, that was a great duo.

I had Eddie just a spot or two higher than Dean even though he had a much shorter run. Love the character that Dean played in ECW, the silent shooter that never spoke, scientific mat wrestler being pushed like a dangerous master of his craft, that's the kind of pro wrestling I like the most. With Eddie his run in ECW was magic, from his debut winning the TV title against Scorpio(excellent title victory moment). The Malenko Guerrero series is one of my favorite things in all of wrestling. I first seen them wrestle each other in WCW in 95 and instantly fell in love with both guys. Then I found out that their rivalry started in ECW, it was one of the things that attracted me to ECW in the first place. Could watch those guys wrestle each other all day. I have a 6 hour long VHS tape from RF Video that has all of their ECW matches on it, it's a great tape.

12. Sabu & RVD
    18. Super Crazy
    19. Lance Storm
    22. Eddie Guerrero
    24. Dean Malenko
    25. Rey Mysterio
    26. Steve Corino
    29. Chris Jericho
    31. Justin Credible
    32. Doring & Roadkill
    33. Al Snow
    34. Spike Dudley
    36. Pit Bull 2
    37. Chris Candido
    38. Axl Rotten
    39. 911
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    42. Guido
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    45. The Gangstas
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    48. Steve Austin
    49. Brian Pillman
    50. Hack Myers

@Baker doing a great job running this, I'm enjoying it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there isn't much here that i can say that hasn't been said. Shinobi hit the nail on the head with Steve Corino being the next Stevie Richards. he would have been great for One Night Stand, but has had a good career elsewhere.

really liked the gangstas team more than new jack as a singles guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8egRoeZpms there were some good fights he still had after mustapha left, and i liked him and spike dudley as a team. (them vs dudleys vs balls/axl at living dangerously, epic balcony dive) but his character lost that edge that he had when they were a team. he'd come up and bloody people up with pipes and hang them with a noose, and it was great, but then he started using goofy shit like toy airplanes and lawnmowers and shit. paul heyman on stone colds podcast gave alot of props to new jack for selling a feud and cutting great promos. whether the gangtas were fighting public enemy, eliminators or each other, you'd really believe someone was gonna die from those promos. the eliminators feud especially was a highlight on those pulp fiction segments. perry saturn sold that shit great to, and there's nothing i can say that wasn't already said about on American Hardcore Theatre.

Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko were an awesome ruthless heel tag team in that amazing 3 way feud. attacking rocco rock in a wheelchair and going afters sabu's neck. watches through some wcw a while back and they made for a great team there to. like Kilgore said about tag team names, if they could have came up with one, they could have gone down as one of the great tag teams.

Spike Dudley and Super Crazy. Spike Dudley was a phenomenon/miracle. words can't describe watching him go from jobber to main eventer with Mike Awesome. i'll defend the last year of ecw forever, but it took a major blow when spike was injured and super crazy left for the spring/summer. those two really could have been big time players.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody should have made a Heavy Metal Parking Lot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDnuhbDFeY&t=786s) style documentary about the ECW parking lot. Some shows I've seen I noticed whenever a brawl would go outside that there would be a mob of guys hanging out outside the ECW Arena while the show was going on, I'm guessing a lot of folks would get turned away at the door because they were sold out to max capacity, instead of going home these folks would just hang out outside the front door all night? Love the shots of the fans lined up waiting to get into the Arena they show in the Barbed Wire City documentary, so damn ghetto.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Trinity- Eddie #18-Malenko #19- Benoit #20- I could throw these names around to defend ECW-NOT CRAPPY 'RASSLING-we have chain wrestlers. Benoit gets props for breaking Sabu's neck-I saw it EVERY week in the intro=brutal.

Guido #49- He was in great shape. Always got heat .

Jericho#32- Arena loved The Lion. I saw him several times-STIFF worker

Rey #26- What more to say? Great talent.

Al #30- I loved HEAD. It was so stupid. Drunk +stoned it was WAY better-you had to be in South Philly-smelling hotdogs+pretzels+toilets over-flowing to grasp this gimmick

Spike #27- Saw Bam Bam launch him. TOUGHEST guy in the building. Took every beating with a smile on his face.

Super #23- Saw him many times. Very precise +STIFF

Corino#34- bled buckets for a "dying" ECW-good on mic -loved his "old school " rap
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Corino- Unlike Kilgore it took awhile for Steve Corino to grow on me. Corino starting out with the anti-hardcore gimmick that was done so well by Cactus was a tough sell. It took another legend in Dusty Rhodes to get him over with me. He then had solid matches with Jerry Lynn and actually became a credible ECW champion. I even got a kick out of his Bret Hart cosplay schtick.

Super Crazy- He was another guy you just didn't see anywhere else. He was a more graceful version of Sabu especially with all of his moonsault variations. He had great matches with Tajiri and Kid Kash but unfortunately got lost in the shuffle once wrestling became a monopoly.

Spike Dudley- The Dudley's mascot who eventually had the Paul E staple "Mikey Whipwreck role" placed onto him. He was very good at making Bam Bam seem superhuman with the crowd toss while going through any table that was near by. His execution of the Acid Drop was always a tightrope act and he was great at making it seem like a real struggle of actually executing the move or getting launched into the ringsiders.

Lance Storm- Like Jericho I gravitated towards his lineage instantly and he didn't disappoint in the ring. He just was a dependable midcard guy who worked well with everyone from RVD to Jerry Lynn to Tommy Dreamer. I actually find him to be a bit underrated now.

Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero- It was tough to separate them on the list but I won't do it here. I gave the nod to Dean for longevity but both were game changers. Like Kilgore said with Lance Storm, Malenko had a charisma with the way he worked. He put that little extra emphasis on his high impact moves and submissions which got me into the match more. He and Scorpio had an underrated series of matches before Dean would even work with Eddie that are more than worth checking out. ECW fans really got Eddie Guerrero instantly which in a vacuum is no shock but compared to what he got initially in WCW is another real credit to the knowledgeable ECW faithful. Once Eddie and Dean started working together and people saw the fluidity and chemistry they worked with the perception of the smaller guys was changed. For the most part before Eddie and Dean, independents were either known for their bloodlust or use of washed up WWF guys. Perhaps Eric Bischoff's smartest move was recognizing how fans were gravitating towards this new breed of wrestler and instantly made them the bedrock of the cruiserweight division in WCW. Hardcore fans workrate obsession only grew from there and indy wrestling was never the same.
    9. The Gangstas
    13. The Bad Breed
    14. Dean Malenko
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    19. Rey Mysterio
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    26. Sabu and RVD
    30. Steve Austin
    31. Super Crazy
    33. Lance Storm
    34. Chris Candido
    35. The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    37. Spike Dudley
    38. Steve Corino
    39. Justin Credible
    41. 911
    43. Al Snow
    44. Tommy Cairo
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    50. Nova

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sad I missed this. I might make my own list and post when the countdown is over. I've barely been active the past few weeks, been really busy.

I don't really have any comments on the list, it's been pretty solid so far. I think RVD & Sabu as a team are lower than they should be, but I know as singles competitors they'll be much higher up, so it is what it is.

Glad Jericho got some love, glad Austin got some love (his ECW run was pure gold), I love that Malenko and Guerrero are back-to-back on here...great stuff. This is a fine read.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't put Austin on-he stole Sandman's gimmick=BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Somebody should have made a Heavy Metal Parking Lot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDnuhbDFeY&t=786s) style documentary about the ECW parking lot. Some shows I've seen I noticed whenever a brawl would go outside that there would be a mob of guys hanging out outside the ECW Arena while the show was going on, I'm guessing a lot of folks would get turned away at the door because they were sold out to max capacity, instead of going home these folks would just hang out outside the front door all night? Love the shots of the fans lined up waiting to get into the Arena they show in the Barbed Wire City documentary, so damn ghetto.
    I wish I had the foresight to document my ECW pre-show experience. And "experience" is definitely the right word

I always got to The Arena at least an hour before show time. Lines were LONG and slow moving. I never heard of anybody getting turned away. They crammed us in their like sardines and absolutely broke safety code violations. Oddly enough I never saw any fights. You'd think a packed building filled to like 150% capacity that had to be 100 degrees+ in summer coupled with all the drugs & drinking would have been a recipe for disaster. But nope. Can't remember a single crowd fight breaking out during the 8 shows I went to.

I rarely had a seat. Usually stood for the entire show. Only once did I get a ringside seat. It was the November 99 show I went to with some dude from the Strictly ECW forum (that genius bought tickets in advance). Once or twice I went alone. Went with my cousin the other 5 or 6 times.

*Sorry for slowing this down. Been really busy the past few days. Plus I don't want to continue until I've had my say on the latest batch. That's the beauty of running these things. I've enjoyed reading all the comments by you folks.

Super Crazy- Was cool in my book. Not really one of My Guys, per se, but I certainly never groaned when seeing the Extreme Luchadore. His feud with Tajiri was the last in a long line of memorable ECW workrate feuds. I can't say he had my favorite moonsault in a world where Scorpio & Kurt Angle exist but Crazy's moonsault is definitely up there. I was especially partial to his 3 moonsault combo. The ECW faithful counting uno, dos, tres when Crazy did the old "10 punches in the corner" babyface spot was one of those little 'only in ECW' things that gave the promotion its charm. Also had my favorite CW Anderson match at a March 2000 show I attended at The Arena. Think he was #31 on my list.

Spike Dudley- Icon comparing him to Whipwreck is spot on. Spike is also another guy who occasionally got the 911 treatment. Usually at the expense of an ex-Big Two fatty. Interesting that such a tiny dude would be squashing mammoths but that's Heyman & ECW for you. They did things differently. Bigelow throwing him into the crowd was cool and Spike took some hellacious bumps in the never-ending feud with his Dudley brothers. Fwiw every promotion has that one guy I always forget about. Spike was that guy in ECW. I didn't have much of an opinion on him one way or another at the time. He was just a middle of the midcard guy with a pretty stupid gimmick. Spike, a scrawny 150 pounder who wasn't even a spectacular flyer, making WWF and lasting four years is an even bigger sign of ECW's influence than Meanie getting two cups of coffee in the big time. Had him somewhere around #28 on my list.

Lance Storm- First impressions are important. Lance made a bad one at Barely Legal. I don't think I ever completely got over the stupid rat tail and THAT chairshot. I had him pegged as a wimp and if that opinion ever changed at all it was only to precede the wimp with a boring. And I don't think the ECW fans ever truly embraced him either. He was never loved as a face or truly loathed as a heel. There was just something missing with Storm imo. His many matches with RVD never approached the levels of RVD/Sabu or RVD/Lynn....or even RVD/Balls. Storm was athletic, smooth and competent but, much like Candido, I felt he was lacking something even as a workrate guy. The Impact Players did work for me though. I also really liked his Anarchy Rulz match with Jerry Lynn. And he stuck around as a midcard/upper midcard guy for over 3 years. That was good enough for #19 or 20 on my list.

Dean Malenko & Eddie Guerrero- You can't have one without the other when writing about ECW. I could make a strong argument for their matches being the most important/influential of the past 25 years. They pretty much single(double?)handedly brought the "This Is Awesome" workrate/indie style I have come to loathe to America. Standoffs. Rollup exchanges. People cheering for wrestling instead of characters. All this loathsome stuff can be traced directly back to Eddie & Dean. But while I hate what it's turned into I cannot hate on the originators. These two were astronauts doing what none before them save perhaps Pillman & Liger had ever done on American soil. I didn't get around to watching those matches until 98-00, and while I enjoyed them, I had become familiar enough with the style that they didn't really wow me. But it doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to imagine the minds of people watching in the spring & summer of '95 being blown. These two were astronauts boldly going where few, if any, had gone before. Dean was around #30 on my list while Eddie was around #35. Dean stuck around longer and had already done some really good stuff in a tag team w/ Benoit before Eddie joined the company.

*I'll finally leave the pseudo-negativity behind when I gush about my man Steve Corino tomorrow. Then I'll post the next four names. Hopefully tomorrow as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot about Super Crazy but yeah that sounds like quite the experience @ShinobiMusashi and @Baker.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Crazy could be in the top 20 and I wouldn't even bat an eye. Dude was my jam back in the day.

Hell I still do the chant once in a while, especially when my kids are fighting. They were wrestling the other night and my son fell off the couch and I started going "SU-PER CRA-ZY!!" and clapping. Neither of them know what it means (they just think I'm calling them super crazy) and they love it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Corino- #22 on my list. Would have been a shoo in for my Top 10 if this was a Favorites countdown. Possibly as high as #4.

I was actually a fan, or at least a follower, of Corino long before he made his way to the Land of Extreme. See, the very first "Introducing" feature I ever read in an Apter Mag profiled this young 1-2-3 Kid-looking dude named Steve Corino. Not knowing many wrestlers back in late 95-early 96, and needing to fill spots in my action figure league, I used Corino as Marty Jannetty's partner in the Rockers. He wrestled like the 1-2-3 Kid and had the personality of Leif Cassidy (Al "Avatar" Snow was already an established action figure league star. His feud with Jimmy Jack Funk is the greatest non-Lawler feud in USWA action figure league history. Their grasslands matches were legendary). The New Rockers were longtime members of Lawler's Royal Kingdom babyface stable and the second greatest tag team in league history behind only the Allied Powers of Ace Stevens & Jager Van Dork.

Anyway, around August '96 I learned Corino was a regular for my local indie promotion MEWF. This furthered his Baker Guy status despite still having never seen him actually wrestle. He was also rumored to be joining Fake Razor & Fake Diesel as Fake 1-2-3 Kid around this time but that sadly never materialized. I was probably the only wrestling fan in the world upset by this unfortunate turn of events He did appear in a segment as a fan who got beat up by the returning (from jail) Crush. Corino would also pop up as a jobber on Shotgun a few times in the years that followed. These appearances always got a pop out of my friends and I.

So I was already on board by the time he made his way to ECW in late 98-early 99. He had some built in good will that would have had me rooting for him for a few months even if he sucked. But he most certainly did not suck. He legit won me over pretty early in his run. Think it was my 1st or 2nd ECW Arena show where he cut a great promo and got tons of heat. I gave myself the ol' Barry Horowitz back pat for having backed a winner all these years.

I hadn't seen much of Cactus Jack's anti-Hardcore run so even that aspect of his gimmick was mostly new to me. The King of Old School shtick was also right up my alley. He was more of a wimpy wrestler/manager back then and he did a fine job carrying on the legacy of similar undersized shit-talkers like Roddy Piper & Eddie Gilbert. The best was that time he dissed Taz by saying "Catch me if you can. Keep the title if I let you." The Arena collectively gasped like "Oh shit. Corino is a dead man."

Dead man he may soon be, but he also had balls of steel. Dude besmirched Taz! TAZ! Yeah, that might be suicidal, but it also takes huge grapefruits. And he did similar stuff with Dreamer, Balls, and even Limp Bizkit! He may have been kayfabe dumb, or perhaps suicidal, but I could respect this scrawny wimp calling out the biggest baddest dudes in the promotion even if he did get his ass kicked a few minutes later. (Fwiw I was a huge fan of 07-08 Santino for the same reasons)

The Dusty feud was his transition from "wrestler" to Wrestler. It was a slow burn thing but he was soon having great matches with Tajiri & Lynn (the Lynn PPV match may be my choice for most underrated ECW match ever. You should all watch it) while leaving blood stained canvases all across America.

First Taz & the Dudleys left. Then Sabu left & RVD got hurt. Sandman & Raven never recaptured their mid-90s magic beyond the night of their glorious returns. RVD came back from injury for a few minutes only to join so many others in leaving. With all these dudes leaving Corino was now my #1 ECW guy. To be fair, he probably would have been even if those guys didn't leave. He was that good. Gold on the mic. Magnificent heel. Took a beating & bled like few others. I was convinced Corino was THE next great heel.

And the ECW faithful started to appreciate him too. He started getting cheers and soon turned face. I don't think it would have lasted long even in a perfect world. Corino just wasn't cut out to be a babyface for long. But he was super popular at the time. ECW had two big shows in August 2000 on back to back nights in NYC. They were among the most hyped shows of the entire year. In an ECW rarity, a match was even announced ahead of time! Hell, even the pay per views generally only had a handful of matches announced beforehand. It would be the red hot Corino vs. ice cold champion Justin Credible for the title (the only other non-PPV ECW matches I can remember being announced in advance during this era are RVD vs. Lynn at The Arena in August '99 and Taz/Dreamer at The Arena in April 2000). Strictly ECW was abuzz. Our dreams were about to come true. Our latest hero, a man who won us mutants over the old fashioned way with hard work and blood, was surely going to dethrone the guy who represented everything we had come to loathe about our once-great promotion.

And then Credible won I'm not sure I realized it until right now but that was pretty much the death knell for my ECW fandom. Fuck this company.

He eventually won the title and turned heel. I don't remember what came first. It was cool enough and all to read about My Guy winning the big one but ECW failed to strike while the iron was hot and they went out of business a few months later.

My prediction of Corino being THE next great heel never came to fruition. The changing wrestling landscape hurt him more than most. Maybe more than anybody. It turns out his great 99-00 ECW run was not the start of a legendary career but the peak of a "what could have been" career. He spent most of the 2000s coming and going from ROH, whose more modern indie style didn't play to his strengths (though the Homicide feud was great), running shitty vanity indie feds (I attended a few of these lousy shows in PA), and getting regular work in like the 5th most popular promotion in Japan, Zero One. I kept hoping he'd turn up in TNA with a big push. It never happened. And WWE passed on him a number of time for stupid WWE reasons.

Now I hear he's finally under WWE contract as a NXT trainer of sorts. Good for him. But it's a shame he didn't get that WWE contract 15 years earlier.

Let's all take a moment to celebrate the last great ECW creation.

Last edited by Baker; 04-25-2017 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11 Votes-256 Points
    Rhino

11 Votes-262 Points
    Balls Mahoney

10 Votes-280 Points
    Pitbulls

10 Votes-298 Points
    Tajiri

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhino- Wasn't a fan. Viewed him as basically Justin Credible Jr. in terms of overpushed 2000 ECW heels. It was just too much, too soon with Rhino. It's like one week he's jobbing on tv in pointless throwaway matches and the next week he's suddenly this invincible monster heel beating everybody and winning titles. I feel like we missed about 3 months of build/growth there. Probably because the roster was starting to thin out. Or maybe I just disliked him because he beat Christopher Daniels at one of the Arena shows I went to Oddly enough, I did grow to like him not long into his WWE run. His slow burn push there was much more palatable and Jim Ross comparing him to Nick Bockwinkle, and it actually making sense, is one of those cool weird things I've always remembered. I've also come around a good deal on his ECW run. He wasn't bad, just overpushed. Had the 2nd best Spear/Goar ever and helped make the Piledriver dangerous again. #21 on my list.

Balls Mahoney- Initially wrote him off as another talentless Rotten-type but he eventually won me over with the hardest chairshots in wrestling, sneaky athleticism, and more cool moves than you'd think a guy who looked like that would be capable of. Singing along with the ECW faithful to his theme was another one of those fun 'only in ECW' things. Really liked his matches with RVD. You wouldn't think those two would have much chemistry, but they did. Balls went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to shedding blood and even went through a few flaming tables. Seems a bit high at #23 though. I had him at #28.

Pitbulls- Fun 80s style big dumb brute muscle team with updated mid 90s offense who got really over as babyfaces. The Superbomb was a cool finisher. Pitbulls vs. Raven & Richards is my 2nd favorite ECW match and their feud with Douglas is a Top 10 ECW feud. For the longest time I never understood why they were phased out at a rapid pace soon after Pitbull #1's return from injury. I recently learned it was because they were involved in a steroid controversy. While I am a fan, #22 seems high. I had them at #33.

Tajiri- Had the last great ECW workrate feud with Super Crazy. Started out a bit bland, though I did think he was a very polite young man. Could have carved out a solid niche for himself as strictly a workrate guy but became more than that by radically transforming into a charismatic Great Muta-lite character and becoming the 2nd best thing about latter day ECW. Popularized the stiff kick in US wrestling and brought back the dreaded mist attack. Was involved in the bulk of ECW's best matches during the company's final two years. His match with Psicosis at The Arena is up there with a Sabu/RVD bout as the best ECW match I saw live. #23 on my list.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I get to the next batch, I wanted to give one more moment of praise to Steve Corino, after Baker's sermon. His Living Dangerously 2000 promo was one of my favorites that he did back in the day. Corino wasn't good at promos because he was particularly good with words, he just had this audacious bluntness that cracked me up. Living Dangerously was one of the better examples. Unfortunately, it wasn't on YouTube, so I put it on YouTube. Let's see how long it lasts before a copyright claim.

Spoiler

---
    Rhino: I echo Baker almost entirely, all the way to preferring the WWF/E run more. Corino introduction of Rhyno, felt like a joke. This 1980's style dude with a stupid name, I thought he was going to be a comedy act, and then all of a sudden, he was being booked like Taz. This was when I started losing faith of Paul E. as a booker, as there was a wealth of unsigned "Indy" guys that felt like no-brainers for ECW, and Paul E. was pulling the Rhyno's of the world out of obscurity instead. Rhyno did grow on me some. Not that much, though. I think he's generally rated too high as an ECW act, with his better WWF run giving him more clout, and I suppose his kayfabe resume during the dying days.

Balls Mahoney: Did you know Bret Hart was a Balls Mahoney fan? Well, he was a Xanta fan. I have no idea if he ever saw "Balls". Either way, a fun little tidbit for a guy who you would never assume was getting repped by The Hitman. If Balls couldn't work a lick, "Balls Mahoney from Nutley, New Jersey" with AC/DC's Big Balls is enough to get you a high ranking, but Balls could work enough, and was the perfect final ECW mascot in the tradition of 911 and Hack Myers, but in a lot of ways, better than both.

Pitbulls: The Superbomb. That's it, really. What was cooler in 1994/1995? A couple of Philly boys destroying people and powerbombing people off the second rope, of course they'd be a big deal in ECW. Pitbulls vs. Shane Douglas had more heat than anything could possibly have today. Hyperbolic, yes, but wrestling was different in 1996, man.

Tajiri: I was a Super Crazy guy. I found Yoshohiro Tajiri, white meat babyface, in Power Ranger gear, to be a fine dance partner for my new guy, Super Crazy. I saw them wrestle at a house show (first row!) early on in their ECW runs, and experiencing the kicks from that close was life changing. Strikes are so ordinary now, it's hard to take you back to the time where simply doing stiff kicks on American soil was kind of revolutionary. With that being said, I was still a Super Crazy guy. And then Yoshohiro Tajiri became simply Tajiri, this Great Muta like character, with the greatest facial expressions in wrestling history. It was a little like Bob Backlund becoming Mr. Backlund, where it was mystifying how somebody who seemed so genuinely generic had this insane character somewhere inside them come out of fucking nowhere. I then became a Tajiri guy. Super Crazy, all of a sudden, seemed like the white meat babyface. The suddenly defined face-heel dynamic that came with Tajiri's turn breathed a great new life into the Super Crazy feud too, where it wasn't just about a wrestling exhibition anymore, but two dudes that seemed like they hated each other. Tajiri mocking Super Crazy's "groggy from his knees, rocking back-and-forth" thing, before spring back up and double kicking Crazy in the face, always awesome. As we often bitch about the Justin Credible title run, and there's very few alternative candidates, I always fall back on Tajiri. It wouldn't have been perfect, but it certainly would have been better.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tajiri! I first discovered after he dropped the Yoshihiro, so it was a little bit of a surprise to learn later on through throwback research that he wasn't always that awesome. I can definitely see how his pre-Muta deal could come across as white meat bland. But, his Muta version, man... He's up there with Brock at the top of PI's irrational loved-'em-at-first-sight-and-will-love-'em-forever-no-matter-what list of favorite wrestlers.

Re: Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore
    I think he's generally rated too high as an ECW act, with his better WWF run giving him more clout, and I suppose his kayfabe resume during the dying days.
    Guilty as charged. His relatively short run of glory in the WWF in 2001 before injuring his neck, with Heyman doing a godly sell job on color commentary, plus his kayfabe credentials all whitewashed over his lesser look, overpush, and dumber (IMO) spelling from his actual ECW run.

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhino- I was expecting the worst with Rhino, like outskirts of the top 10 type ranking, due to his WWE exposure and the "an all time great ECW champion" narrative. I first saw him as a jobber in WCW so seeing him pushed so fast as the next Taz was an eye roller. I echo others comments as he truly made his hay in WWE. If circumstances were different with a longer build and ECW staying in business he could have been a upper tier guy.

Balls Mahoney- Upon first seeing him in the magazines he had that Hacksaw Jim Duggan vibe about him. I suppose he kind of was with the chair being a sub for the 2x4. His run in with the Dudleys that led to the flaming table incident is an all time great ECW moment. Another "heart and soul" ECW lifer that got his just due on this list.

The Pitbulls- Not much more can be said, the superbomb was awesome and the feud with Shane Douglas solidified Shane into one of the best heat magnets in wrestling. Both could have been viable singles stars as well, Pitbull 2 had a lot of momentum and Pitbull 1 had the sympathy card going into 1997 but yeah, steroids.

Tajiri- I really appreciated how he brought the strong style element to ECW. Had it been four or five years earlier it really would have made ECW the total package promotion and I believe Tajiri would have been even more revered than he is now. Tajiri vs. Eddie, Tajiri vs. Benoit, if only....

9. The Gangstas
    13. The Bad Breed
    14. Dean Malenko
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    19. Rey Mysterio
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    26. Sabu and RVD
    27. Tajiri
    28. The Pitbulls
    30. Steve Austin
    31. Super Crazy
    33. Lance Storm
    34. Chris Candido
    35. The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    37. Spike Dudley
    38. Steve Corino
    39. Justin Credible
    40. Balls Mahoney
    41. 911
    42. Rhino
    43. Al Snow
    44. Tommy Cairo
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    50. Nova

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhino-loved the feud with the sandman. wish the tv title would have stayed centered around guys like tajiri and super crazy, as rhino/sandman wasn't about titles and didn't fit the tv title legacy, but it was a brutal feud. i remember a really good match he had with sabu. i can get why guys didn't like him, as his squashes were nowhere near as good as Taz's or Mike Awesome and i feel like a lot of good matches he could have had with Tajiri and Kid Kash were sacrificed for under 5 minute semi-squashes, but his fights with RVD and Spike were awesome. Also got a lot of heat. one of my favorites from TNN era. a match with steve corino once he turned face would have been perfect to blow off their alliance earlier.

Balls Mahoney-what not to love. saw one of his matches with Sandman live. can't believe no one died. actually felt like he was the replacement for the Sandman when he left. sing along to theme song, pop big for, would hang out and shoot the shit with fans before and after show, was pretty much another one of the rowdy drunk mutants, but usually loosed and was all the more over for it. took all of RVDs insane moves. loved him and Axl as a team. too complemented each other perfectly. you can tell Heyman didn't see much in Axl, but he dropped the ball with them never holding tag titles. give credit to Stevie, Public Enemy, and Scorpio for doing flaming tables before, but when Balls did them, they looked way better.

Pitbulls-at the time i considered them just as important to early ECW as Public Enemy. still do to an extent. among those early-mid 90's wrestlers who were hurt alot by territory's phasing out. jobbers in WWF. pushed as the Pitbull Express in IWA than no where else to work. Heyman saw that with their size and limitations, and got the most out of them. crazy squashes, bled a shit ton, fought around the arena and outside of it. awesome theme music. #2 singles run was probably better than anything they did as a team, but i still loved them. the last few months were kind of sad to watch with them losing to Taz and getting booed after being a fan for 2 years. i guess Durante especially had legal problems and some personal shit that led to a very unfortunate end. anyone know details about the end for them. i guess they had a tryout match against headbangers but it didn't go so good. when asked about it, Gary Wolfe just said "more cut throats in wrestling than anywhere else." i could see them having decent matches with the New Age Outlaws, but like Public Enemy, they needed blood, weapons and brawls to be epic, but who cares, they were tons of fun. bring a weapon to the show and hand it to one of them to use. also heard they were front runners in the WCW mole and almost signed but nothing became of it.
    Last edited by Fisto; 04-26-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information