Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ECW Greatest Wrestler Countdown Results

Furnas and Lafon- In reality, outside of their famous match with Kobashi and Kikuchi, an early match with Tiger Mask II and Kobashi and their runs ins with RVD I haven't seen much of their work. They were being phased out of the WWF when I started watching again so I missed most of that run too. They were awesome in Japan with Kroffat being exceptional at working the crowd while Furnas would just kill people with suplexes. They couldn't really excel being in the same stable as RVD and were held back a bit during their second run. There matches against RVD and Sabu is the go to material, still though not quite good enough to make my list.

C.W. Anderson- One of my personal cult favorites even though he didn't make my list since his peak was when I was losing interest in ECW. Loved the throwback approach and the nods to AA. I think it was a solid attempt by Paul E to continue to the lineage started by guys like Malenko and Benoit that showed ECW was also about meat and potatoes wrestling.

Jazz- I also don't really remember much about her ECW run. I guess somebody did.

Don Muraco- I also had to pay respect to the Rock putting him all the way up in the 22 slot. Rekindling the feud with Snuka was the first big happening in ECW and laid the foundation for what was to come.

The Other Dudleys- Dances and Dudley were useless, Bubba Ray and Devon we'll get to later, but Bubba should get mention for his crowning achievement at Heat Wave 1998, man I wish heels could cut on this current crowd like that. Yes there was a Snot Dudley but pictures and video are hard to come by from what I can see. I just remember seeing him ranked on the PWI 500 and wondering when the Dudley madness would end.

Nova and Blue Meanie was what I should have put on my ballot instead of just Nova in the 50 spot. Loved the bWo stuff, I most certainly feel shameful @Baker; You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!). I also liked Nova's innovator character as it still provides great satire of the indy scene.

22. Don Muraco
    44. Tommy Cairo
    45. The Chair Swingin' Freaks
    46. Chris Candido and Lance Storm
    47. Hack Myers
    49. The FBI (Tracy Smothers and Little Guido)
    50. Nova
    Last edited by The Icon; 04-17-2017 at 12:37 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CW Anderson was one of my final cuts, I believe he was even on my original list that I sent Baker. Wasn't real crazy about him back in the day but grew to like him watching the old tapes. Good guy that the fans didn't like at first but he eventually won them over a little bit through hard work, one of those guys that broke his back for ECW in it's dying days for literally nothing.

Jazz was from my list. Without her my list was a total sausage fest, she is the only female that made my cut. I wasn't real crazy about her back in the day but when watching through the ECW on TNN tapes recently I noticed that she was something interesting for ECW, strong woman that was dangerous and was being booked well, turning some of the stereotypical ECW women's wrestling psychology upside down, instead of cat fighting and getting her ass exposed taking piledrivers she was the one giving the piledrivers and taking dudes out as the female fighting force of ECW.

I always liked Nova and never really cared for Blue Meanie, surprised to see Meanie higher up than Nova. Nova's moves were cool to me, he was good in tag teams carrying far less talented guys like Meanie and Chris Chetti to solid tag matches.

All the non-Dudleys getting votes. They were funny in small doses but for the most part that whole storyline went on for way too long. That one backdrop cutter that Bubba hit on D-Von in one of those matches was pretty epic though.

32. Doring & Roadkill
    36. Pit Bull 2
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    43. Eddie Gilbert- was he already listed? Can't find him but I seen Baker and Icon and Kilgore mention him
    47. Jazz
    50. Hack Myers

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I forgot to comment on Eddie Gilbert. He was a consideration for my non-wrestler list for his booking. I mostly think of him planting the seeds in Philly for Tri-State with his feud with Cactus in ring wise.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    You can give thanks to who else but the Beatles for you and your friends enjoyment of the Blue Meanie name. I also first took notice of him in PWI and had to wonder if his gimmick truly was hating all music as portrayed in Yellow Submarine (book that HTM/Meanie feud Baker!).
    Yeah, my mom, ever the Beatles fan, soon smartened us up. Finding out it wasn't an ECW original thing kind of killed that Meanie magic tbh.

Thanks for the HTM/Meanie suggestion! Meanie would be a perfect fit for NGW.....

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    43. Eddie Gilbert- was he already listed? Can't find him but I seen Baker and Icon and Kilgore mention him
    I forgot to list him in the #51-#60 post. He's listed in a separate post.

Going to put Gilbert where he belongs and edit the point totals now. Not gonna lie...Doring (& Roadkill) getting bumped from the #69 spot hurts.

May post #46-#50 after that if I'm not too tired.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Votes-52 Points
    Psicosis

5 Votes-53 Points
    Kid Kash

5 Votes-54 Points
    Brian Lee

2 Votes-61 Points
    Perry Saturn

6 Votes-72 Points
    Jimmy Snuka

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It ain't easy to find decent ECW pics nowadays.

Brian Lee at #46 was the only one from this batch to make my list (Kash & Psicosis would have made a Top 55). He was a perfectly acceptable big goon for Raven and then Douglas. Famously threw Tommy Dreamer from high places. The Barely Legal swerve with Rude & Douglas was really cool. "Prime Time" is an all time great nickname. Also gets some bonus points for completely changing his look to fit in with ECW. Looks like a totally different dude than the 3rd rate Hogan wannabe he portrayed in early SMW.

Kid Kash- A late cut. My cousin & I were early Kash fans due to being amused by the goofy "man of many names" gimmick he had during his cup of coffee with the company in '96. Pretty sure we were the only ones in the building cheering when he made his 1999 comeback at The Arena against Uganda (remember him?). His lack of character meant I couldn't get too behind him but he was still one of the better guys in latter day ECW. That little "Master of the Frankensteiner" thing he had going on was pretty cool. Also recently watched a really good match he had with EZ Money on one of the last ECW pay per views. Fwiw TNA Kash is the best Kash.

Psicosis- Another late cut. Brought his worldwide feud with Rey Mysterio to ECW which went a long way towards popularizing Lucha/Cruiserweight wrestling here in the states. Also saw him have a really good match at The Arena with Tajiri during his brief 2000 return.

Perry Saturn- I'll save my paean to the Eliminators for later. While we all know Saturn was the best Eliminator, and aspiring to be a cross between Sabu & Taz is a stellar way to approach wrestling, I would actually rate Kronus higher on this list simply due to Kronus having more ECW longevity. Anybody ever see any of the Sabu/Saturn ECW matches? This clique called The Extremists who used to travel up to PA for ECW shows and call my local wrestling radio show with reports couldn't stop raving about one of them back in the day.

Jimmy Snuka- Another legend brought into early ECW to give them some street cred. Don't know much about his ECW run other than Dreamer (allegedly) being the first man to kick out of the Superfly Splash which was a really big deal in ECW lore.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-18-2017 at 03:34 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perry Saturn- I'll save my paean to the Eliminators for later. While we all know Saturn was the best Eliminator, and aspiring to be a cross between Sabu & Taz is a stellar way to approach wrestling, I would actually rate Kronus higher on this list simply due to Kronus having more ECW longevity. Anybody ever see any of the Sabu/Saturn ECW matches? This clique called The Extremists who used to travel up to PA for ECW shows and call my local wrestling radio show with reports couldn't stop raving about one of them back in the day.

fuck i always show up to late for these. i would've given a vote to el puerto ricano for being insane and mabye gary wolfe for his singles push in the eastern days and his i quit match with shane. Sabu and Saturn tore it up at a show i went to in Mass. crazy shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psicosis- He was number 48 on my list and maybe should have been higher since he played an equal part in popularizing Lucha in ECW. His matches with Rey added even more variety to the melting pot and only made ECW that much more unique. I also have to give credit for some of the sick bumps he took. Launching himself 3 rows deep for a somersault plancha in the 2/3 falls match with Rey is an unforgettable moment.

Kid Kash- I viewed him as Benoit light which is still a pretty good label to have. Solid technician with good intensity but I can only have 50 names so he fell by the wayside. I also enjoyed his mini-feud with Super Crazy in late 1999.

Brian Lee- I give him credit for being able to portray a variety of characters through his career. He found himself in ECW though being able to just let loose with the hardcore gimmicks. Tossing Tommy Dreamer off the scaffold and choke slamming him through multiple tables certainly rate as signature moments. He really wasn't around for very long so I decided not to put him on my list.

Perry Saturn- The straw that stirred the drink for the Eliminators, I was an instant fan of his hybrid offense. I was hoping eventually he would break out into singles but WCW scooped him up before that could happen. He would have been a great opponent for Taz, RVD and Sabu.

Jimmy Snuka- I couldn't really separate him from Muraco so he gets the 21 spot on my list. It was a coup for ECW to bring in one of the most popular wrestlers in the Northeast and rehash his most famous feud. It also is a testament to Snuka's popularity that a decade past his prime you could still build a credible promotion around him.
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    44. Tommy Cairo
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    50. Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto View Post
    fuck i always show up to late for these. i would've given a vote to el puerto ricano for being insane and mabye gary wolfe for his singles push in the eastern days and his i quit match with shane. Sabu and Saturn tore it up at a show i went to in Mass. crazy shit.
    Damn. I was trying to think of your username when I gave a shout out to Fezz. "Who was the guy with the Sandman avatar?" Sorry, should have asked the rest of the ECW crowd here I guess.
    Last edited by The Icon; 04-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, really surprised Blue Meanie is above JT Smith, The Shaw, Louie Louie and Pitbull #2. he was good cane fodder for the Sandman and fun to watch get beat up. the ECW fan in me has to respect someone who was willing to take those shots, and b.W.o. was fun. but other than that he was go away heat with me and Nova improved alot when he was separated from him. Blue Boy gimmick sucked to.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck yeah though Psicosis. that 2/3 falls match was on one of the earliest shows i ever saw from ECW and was the most invested i was in a wrestling match EVER up to that point. Kid Kash was looking to be the next R.V.D. at one point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Lee #25- I "marked" when Brian almost ripped off Terry's ear with a trashcan-blood was coming out of Terry's ear-he was DAZED and CONFUSED.....then he got angry and when Brian "taunted" him with the mic....."Terry, quit Old MAN......"NO, YOU SUMBITCH---then Terry beat his butt. I was there for Scaffold Match with Dreamer-he ate those tables---VERY SCARY

Perry #17- Loved his "stiff" style. He seemed to enjoy hurting people-he usually "paired" off with New Jack during tag battles. weapons filled Cage vs Ganstas was Rude+Crude.
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Votes-81 Points
    RVD & Sabu

5 Votes-89 Points
    Impact Players

5 Votes-92 Points
    Brian Pillman

6 Votes-98 Points
    Axl Rotten

5 Votes-100 Points
    Bad Breed

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVD & Sabu- Had them at #34 and expected them to finish higher than they did. They teamed pretty regularly for over three years, held the tag titles longer than they probably should have, and had some memorable matches with the Eliminators, Furnas & LaFon, and Hayabusa & Hakushi. Plus they're 2 of my top 3 all time favorite ECW guys.

Impact Players- Not unlike the New Age Outlaws in that the sum was greater than the parts. Storm was a decent hand but certainly not someone I ever cared about one way or another aside from making fun of his stupid rat tail and wimpy chairshots, while Credible drifted between 'guy I'd pay to see lose' to 'guy I wanted off my tv.' But Storm's slightly above average in ring ability coupled with Credible's slightly above average heeling was *just* enough to get me to care in a 'pay money to see them get their asses kicked' kind of way. Plus I accepted them as genuine stars once they started teaming. So they were basically the Rated RKO of 1999 ECW. #29 on my list.

Brian Pillman- Considered him more for the Supplemental List as I tried staying away from few match wonders, though a handful did sneak onto the bottom of my ballot.

Bad Breed- Two of my least favorite ECW competitors. Don't know much about their team other than they were briefly(?) Terry Funk's "Few Good Men" and they lost a "Losing Team Must Break Up" match. I like to think this placement is as much for their feud as it was for their team. Their bloody feud garnered a lot of Apter Mag coverage as I'm sure it reminded the Apter Mag folks of their magazine's heyday when bloody images of The Sheik & Abdullah frequently graced the covers. All that magazine coverage generated a buzz which sold tapes and helped put ECW on the map. If you only knew about ECW via the Apter Mags as I did you'd think the Rottens feud was the biggest thing the company had going when in reality it was nowhere close.

Axl Rotten- #37 on my list. He lacked the appeal of his contemporaries by being scummy without the dirtbag charm of a Hack Myers, the sneaky ability of a Balls Mahoney, or the charisma + willingness to jump from high places of a New Jack. But longevity does count for something, and he bled away on the undercard for most of ECW's existence while always remaining fairly popular.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-19-2017 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I originally had Eddie Gilbert much higher on my list, the first list I sent Baker was missing 2 guys, not only did I make room for those guys on my new list but I carefully went through and really put some more thought into the rankings and ended up shuffling things around quite a bit. The reason why I originally had Eddie Gilbert so high was just for how important he was in ECW being set on it's path, while Snuka and Moracco were the OG's, Eddie set ECW on the path like a paper boat on a stream of fucking blood and sleaze. His feud with Cactus in Tri States was like a precursor to ECW. Its a shame they didn't get to lock horns in ECW at least once. Just imagine if Eddie stuck around for just a little while longer and been in the middle of the whole Cactus/Sandman/Funk/Douglas feud in 95. He was hokey older school wrestling, the kind that ECW was moving away from, but I kinda think ECW would have only benefited from keeping him around through 94-95 at least. I had to drop him down on my new list because he really only had a short time in ECW, a few months in 93, but in that span he brought in Heyman, Shane Douglas, and headlined the company with the feud with Funk producing some of the best matches in ECW that year(not saying much).

Psicosis and Juvy were two guys I didn't think about listing because they only wrestled a few times. Those matches are some of my favorite ECW matches but just not enough of them for them to get in over some other guys. I wish so hard that those guys would have stayed in ECW longer, I even pushed the hell out of both of them in my ECW 2002 fan fiction to the point where they were headlining shows.

Kid Kash was from my list, even though I hated the Kid Rock style thing he had going on he was one of the best guys in ECW there at the end. I liked him.

Surprised to see Brian Lee so high but he did have some really good brawls with Funk and Dreamer. Definitely one of those guys that Heyman got the most out of with good booking, hiding his weaknesses and emphasizing his strengths, using him just enough and at just the right times in just the right ways to where he fit in well after a few months.

Never thought about ranking Saturn as a singles guy. I decided I wasn't going to double dip, I wanted to try to either list them as singles or go with their tag team, I made a few exceptions though. I'd agree that Kronus should probably be higher but I can understand why people would rank it the other way, Saturn was clearly the star of the Eliminators. I remember seeing Saturn vs Sabu advertised for house shows when I watched through the old tapes a while back, never did see them ever wrestle. Saturn and New Jack always had good chemistry when brawling in those matches, they made good rivals.

I watched some of Snuka's earliest work in ECW from 92 and it wasn't good. He was the OG though, I give him credit for that even though I can't look at the guy the same anymore after reading about how he got away with murdering some girl.

32. Doring & Roadkill
    36. Pit Bull 2
    40. Nova
    41. The Unholy Alliance Mikey Whipreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
    43. Eddie Gilbert
    46. Kid Kash
    47. Jazz
    50. Hack Myers

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Lee: Perfect Paul E. booking as the evil 911, basically. Hired gun who chokeslammed the shit out of fan favorites, and Tommy Dreamer from every elevated surface in the ECW Arena. I'm going to be extra nice to Brian Lee and give him a lot of credit for moving some video tapes, as Extreme Warfare Volume 2 was probably one of the best selling tapes ever, judging by the amount of times it was advertised.

Kid Kash: One of the standouts of latter day ECW. Loved the big air springboard somersault plancha onto the floor.

Psicosis: Just like Malenko-Guerrero will be rightfully rewarded at higher rankings, Psicosis was one half of the lucha answer after WCW signed Malenko-Guerrero. I imagine WCW would have signed Psicosis and Rey eventually, but would it have been as quickly without Extreme Lucha Libra?

Perry Saturn: I echo the curiosity of what a Saturn singles run would have looked like in ECW. That's one of my bigger curiosities actually. The Eliminators were one of the great Tag Teams in ECW, and Saturn seemed to direct the entirety of the success, being the standout in the team, while also literally directing Kronus while he did his thing. Even though Kronus stuck around longer, it wasn't good, so I think Saturn is rightfully ahead of him.

Jimmy Snuka: Along with Muraco, kept ECW afloat, and was the first legend to give Tommy Dreamer the rub he so desperately needed. Also didn't murder anybody while in ECW.

RVD & Sabu: I have no inside information on the countdown finish, but I'm going to assume these two are #1 and #2 in some order, so we might have a tag team of the two best ECW wrestlers of all time. That's fucking awesome. It'd be like if Austin and Rock were also a consistent tag team from 1998-2001. Yet, I didn't vote for them. I think it's because they often played the reluctant tag team, so it always felt more like a superteam to me, than an honest to goodness tag team. This is probably stupid, but even a tag team name goes a long way. Sabu & RVD, two dudes tagging. Rolling Thunder, that would be a goddamned tag team. Either way, I got no problems seeing these two ranked multiple times. They're so fuckng awesome, and were involved in some very good tag matches together.

Impact Players: I ranked the Impact Players ahead of Lance and Justin as singles wrestlers. I think it was, by far, the best period of both their ECW runs.

Brian Fucking Pillman: Shocker, I did not vote for BFP. I see his being considered a wrestler a bit of a loophole, since he was borrowed from WCW once in 1994 as a fill in for Steve Austin. The run people love was 1996, and he didn't wrestle. He just used babies as human shields and threatened use the ECW ring as a urinal, which honestly, was probably cooler than any match he could have had. I'm not going to protest the ranking, though.

Bad Breed: I basically used Bad Breed as a cheat to get Ian and Axl both on my list using one slot. The tag team was useful in ECW, as Balls & Axl were essentially the same thing years later, but it's the 1995 feud against each other that really stands out. Bad Breed Explode!

Axl Rotten: ECW needed guys like Axl. Part of being the alternative is hiring people that WWF/WCW would have had no interest in, and letting them do their thing. Axl's was hitting people with chairs and bleeding like a stuffed pig, so his thing was pretty fucking awesome by mid-90's standards. When you think of WWF/WCW in 1995/1996, the Nasty Boys were the closest thing to Axl Rotten, and that's like the mall version of Axl. For what that was, Axl was the real deal.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kid Kash made my list - there is no way he couldn't as I was a huge mark of him in the later days of ECW. I still hold a soft spot in my wrestling heart for Kash.

Pillman made my list as well despite the obvious short stay in the company. Pillman is one of my all time favorites and the few things he did do in the company were better than so much of the other stuff I can remember so he was a must have on my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fell into this late. But I am hoping to see Jerry Lynn make the cut.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axl #16- Drank many a brew with him, charisma out the ass-a journeyman who bled like a main-eventer RIP.

Pillman #37- Like Rude -enflamed by not 'rassling-why bleed when you're a STAR!
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabu and RVD- I had them at 26, they were the odd couple of ECW but were so good in ring wise/ECW icons I had to put them on my list. You could also say they were ECW's "Megapowers."

The Impact Players- They come in at 34 on my list. I agree that this was the best we saw of Justin Credible but out of respect to Lance Storm's longevity I put him a few places higher. They were good fodder for RVD/Sabu and RVD and Jerry Lynn.

Brian Pillman- Also didn't make my list but he did have consideration as a non-wrestler for his infamous Cyberslam 1996 appearance. Still wish we could have seen more of the "Loose Cannon" in ECW, the possibilities were endless.

Axl Rotten/The Bad Breed- I still have no shame placing them at 13 on my list. It was basically a way to pay tribute to their feud which as Baker said was all over the magazines. Seeing barbed wire baseball bats and taped fists with glass in a wrestling ring was alien to me and it put over the real danger element of ECW. Axl was the workhorse though and his place on the list is well deserved, RIP.

13. The Bad Breed
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    26. Sabu and RVD
    34.The Impact Players
    44. Tommy Cairo
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    50. Nova

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabu and Van Dam felt like a real tag team instead of two singles guys to me because of their amazing double team moves. lots of great matches. in terms of ECW only, they'd probably be my #2 favorite tag team after Eliminators. loved the promos with stoned rvd. Bad Breed's matches with the Pitbulls were actually really fun. I've heard complaints about Ian not respecting the business and blatantly blading in front of people, but Axl was a lot better in the ring than people credit him for.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 Votes-111 Points
    Steve Austin

8 Votes-126 Points
    Little Guido

7 Votes-133 Points
    Chris Benoit

9 Votes-135 Points

10 Votes-154 Points
    Chris Jericho

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Austin: This countdown just got itself an Extreme Superstar. Austin was one of my final cuts, as there was too many long timers I had to show the respect too, but Austin's brief run was so much fun. He was apparently offered a title win from Paul E., but Austin declined knowing he wouldn't be there long. Even it was briefly, Austin being on the "ECW Champion" list forever, would be fun to look at. Austin cut some great promos, including what I think is the GOAT. The two matches were fun too.

Little Guido: A perfect midcard or lower guy for ECW. The arrival of Super Crazy/Tajiri was the best thing that happened to him, as he found himself in some very good matches.

Chris Benoit: I think this is a rare fair rating for Benoit, like he's not getting docked here because of turning into a murderous psycho. He had a short run, that was pretty good, but not nearly as memorable as his workrate contemporaries.

911: 911 one ahead of Benoit is so fucking ECW. I love it. What's the territory archetype for 911? Was anybody used like that before? 911 as the ECW fan's representative, destroying people who sucked, or were just assholes and deserved it. WWF/WCW certainly weren't doing it in 1994. Maybe Paul E.'s masterpiece of chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Chris Jericho: Jericho deserves this. This wasn't just a cameo by somebody who would have more success elsewhere. He was kind of an unknown, no real name recognition on the East Coast, and he won the ECW crowd over almost instantly, which is kind of a miracle, considering his look. Jericho probably could have got some old fashioned Philly "pretty boy" hate, but he was legit over during his brief spell, and his Four Way match at Heatwave '96 is one of the greatest ECW matches ever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried posting first in these because I figured @Kilgore would beat me to most of my points if I didn't. I was not wrong.

"SUPERSTAR" Steve Austin- My #50 was reserved for The Extreme Superstar from the get go. Not sure he gets there without being arguably the biggest star of all time but screw it. It's my list and I'll vote how I want to. He was only with the company for a few months, and only wrestled two matches, neither of which I was wild about, but he absolutely killed it as a sports entertainer/promo guy. I can say with extreme confidence that Austin would have been my favorite wrestler in late '95 ECW had I been watching in real time and I'd have been even more excited about The Ringmaster than I already was. Kilgore beat me to the "Austin as world champion" story but now I want to book a theoretical 6-12 month Austin ECW run. A returning Douglas as the conquering hero seems like the obvious choice to dethrone the Extreme Superstar. Of course then we likely lose out on Raven's awesome run. So maybe some things are better left unchanged?

Little Guido- I realized last night that I was coming across as rather negative on a lot of these competitors. Well, buckle up because grumpy Baker is here again. Was never a Guido fan. The FBI gimmick was played out the second my paisan JT Smith left. Hard to believe they kept that stupid hyper local gimmick (South Philly had a large Italian community) going for over four more years. I never found Guido all that amusing and couldn't take him seriously when he tried portraying a more a serious character. Best thing he ever did was make the sign of the cross in the midst of an Undertaker Last Ride which, admittedly, would be the best thing most wrestlers ever did. Still, he had longevity and carved out a nice niche for himself on the undercard. #38 on my list.

Chris Benoit- #40 on my list. While his run wasn't as memorable as that of his contemporaries, Benoit did make an impact on the company. Hell, he seemed like their Next Big Thing after Double Tables. First he beat Snow in a technical match I've always viewed as a precursor to the more famous Malenko/Guerrero series. Then he top rope powerbombed Rocco Rock onto Sabu who was on a table. That had to be the damnedest thing most wrestling fans had ever seen in February 1995. Then Benoit, Mr. Chatty, cut a legit 15 minute promo in a dark room to end the tape. As with Austin, I once saw a Heyman shoot (pre-murders, I'm sure) where Paul E. said he planned on making Benoit champ but there were either Visa problems or NJPW schedule problems. Heyman is obviously a bullshit artist extraordinaire but it's easy to believe his claims after watching Double Tables (aka: The Chris Benoit Show). Oh, and the Malenko/Benoit team is easily the most notable act to get no votes. Forgot to mention them in that earlier post. They were a late cut for me. Really liked the match/feud they had with Sabu & Tasmaniac.

911- #39 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the beauty of 911 finishing above Benoit (and Steve Austin!). He only did one thing but he did it awesomely. Getting 911 massively over as the one move mascot of ECW may be Heyman's greatest booking accomplishment. 911 finally chokeslamming Fonzie during all the chaos in the epic Raven & Richards vs. Pitbulls match is an iconic ECW moment. Rey & 911 was such a great one off odd couple tag team. Kilgore asks an interesting question about the "911 of the territories." I got nothing. Think the concept of 911 is a Heyman original. Paul E. would later use Taz, Sandman & New Jack occasionally in the 911 role while Boogeyman in 2005 OVW was pretty much a straight 911 clone.

Chris Jericho- #41 on my list. Kilgore beat me to the punch on pretty boy Jericho (surprisingly) winning over the tough Philly crowd. I think his whole "Last Survivor of the Hart Dungeon" shtick helped with that. More Heyman brilliance. Jericho was the latest in a long line of workrate guys in for 6 months before moving on to bigger things. Pinned Cactus Jack in Jack's 2nd to last night with the company. Paid his dues by getting dropped on his head by Taz a few times (one of which was replayed a ton over the years) during their short feud. Got over. Won the TV title. Had a good match with Pitbull #2 and was part of the classic TV Title 4 Way a short time later. I liked his "Lionheart" nickname and tights. Still, there was something a little too 80s babyface about ECW Jericho for me to really get behind him. He wasn't quite there yet as a complete sports entertainer either. But he certainly did make his mark on the company during his relatively brief stint.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-19-2017 at 11:09 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for Austin much in the same vein as I voted for Pillman - despite short runs with the company they produced some of my favorite ECW skits/promos/moments in the companies history and that holds weight with me. I don't remember where I ranked him - it was probably too high but I based it on moments I loved from ECW (as my #1 will later prove) and Austin was great.

Jericho made my list as well , if only four that four way match. Not so hidden gem right there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Austin- I had him at number 30 as he was able to put both his career and character into focus in his short stay which was vital to what was to come next. His in ring appearances were fun to watch but his promo work made people take notice.

Little Guido- Played the underdog well but I submit this as my favorite Guido moment from Ultimate Jeopardy '97(apologies for the dubbed music).

Chris Benoit- Once again I don't feel comfortable putting him on any sort of greatest list but his ECW run was solid. Breaking Sabu's neck was his first claim to fame before moving onto being a member of the original Triple Threat. I still have fond memories of binge watching his ECW career on tape in late 96-early'97 with the Double Tables show and his singles and tag matches against Taz. Obviously the way his career turned out is still a too dark of a cloud to acknowledge.

911- Our resident choke slam artist gets the number 41 slot. 911 had to be original since "breaking the fourth wall" and have a wrestler do the fan's biding with the lame gimmicks was pretty avant guard. I can't imagine any booker having a 911 on their show disposing of the perceived subpar talent they recruited. Plus most bookers would want to keep the heat on the annoying heels and not have them destroyed at random. Another crazy mad scientist idea pulled off to perfection by Paul E.

Chris Jericho- He was a complete new discovery from the Hart clan when I first saw him on ECW tapes merely weeks before he jumped to WCW. I immediately latched onto the "last survivor" gimmick and he was a good worker so he was easy to like. Another factor I think is that he had extensive international experience which is always a plus to the ECW crowd after watching Malenko, Guerrero and Benoit. He had a very strong run in the TV title picture which got him to number 36 on my list. It still might hold up as the best in ring work of his career.

13. The Bad Breed
    21. Jimmy Snuka
    22. Don Muraco
    26. Sabu and RVD
    30. Steve Austin
    34.The Impact Players
    36. Chris Jericho
    41. 911
    44. Tommy Cairo
    47. Hack Myers
    48. Psicosis
    50. Nova
    Last edited by The Icon; 04-20-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Thread Information