Thread: The dumbest name I've ever heard

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The dumbest name I've ever heard

A few months ago the New Orleans Zephyrs, a minor league baseball team announced a new name for the team: The New Orleans Babycakes. The season has now started and what was presumed by so many to be a joke has proven to be real. Granted, I'm not the kind of person to buy team merchandise, but would anybody want a jersey with this on it?

Among the rejected names are New Orleans Night Owls, New Orleans Revelers, and Metairie Marauders (a nod to the unincorporated area in which they actually play games). I dare say Metairie Methheads would've been a better name, because one would at least run from that.

I am reminded of Major League, a movie in which the owner of a team tried to drive down attendance in order to justify moving them out of Cleveland.

What is the dumbest name for a sports team you've ever heard?
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The dumbest name I've ever heard

I think there was a minor league team ( can't remember if it was hockey or baseball) named the Macon Whoopee. They were located in Macon, GA, and I think it was supposed to be named after a bird, but the double entendre is pretty heavy.

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why but I love the Baby Cakes. Has a real New Orleans unique feel to it. Also, the Babes is a pretty cool baseball nickname.

I played basketball for a team called the St. Simon Copains. Copains is French for friends... We got roasted in pre-game warm-ups every single time. Imagine the Braves, Hawks and Warriors taking on the Friends...

Luckily we had a pair of monster centres and destroyed the league. Won the city championship two years in a row.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess some team names that I just don't understand:

Tennessee Volunteers
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Virginia Tech Hokies

Whats a Hokie?

Banner Credit: Spike

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    I guess some team names that I just don't understand:

Tennessee Volunteers
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Virginia Tech Hokies
    I can explain these two. They are the flagship universities in their respective states. Ohio is known as The Buckeye State because apparently that's the only place that people are willing to plant a certain tree. Tennessee is called the Volunteers for a similar reason- they volunteered heavily in a war 200 years ago and haven't let anybody forget it since. Hokies refers to the mascot, Hokeybird, which was named after an old college cheer.

That being said, the names are kind of out there.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when the NFL announced a new expansion team in Houston, before they settled on the Texans as their name there were some of the worst most god awful names being thrown around, the Houston Apollos, Houston Roustabouts are the only two I can remember right now. They ended up having a citywide vote to pick the name if I remember correctly, it's hard to believe that the Apollos and Roustabouts ever made it to the ballot though. Eek.

I remember I went to a junior high school in Texarkana, a city right on the Texas and Arkansas border, it was technically in Arkansas so all of the schools had to have some Razorback themed mascot, this school was the North Heights Piggies, it was like man get me the fuck out of this state.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-14-2017 at 07:03 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MK Dons, crappy franchised name for a crappy franchised club in The Beautiful Game.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies and gentlemen....I see your valiant efforts. But I hereby shut down this thread...with the walk-off home run of all team names....

Though who doesn't love some Liberal Beejay action?

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

The Voices, they scream Mr. Canoe's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Canada for several decades we Had 2 teams in The CFL(Canadian Football League) called the Roughriders. The league usually is only a 9 team league with a few years with more or less teams so 2 teams with the exact same name was odd . The 2 teams were from Saskatchewan and Ottawa. Ottawa folded in the mid-90's for a little while, came back for a few years as the Ottawa Renegades, folded again and now came back just a few season ago as the REDBLACKS...yup. I swear the new owner asked his 5 year old to name the team

Thread Information