Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do YOU rank Bret Hart?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Where do YOU rank Bret Hart?

When u think about, Bret was ACTUALLY Vince's first world champ that didn't an over the top personality. I realize Backlund was still champ when Vince first took over from his pops. But Backlund was his pops' choice and not his. He was just biding his time until Hogan came aboard. But Hogan, Andre for a cup of coffee, Dibiase for a cup of coffee, Savage, Warrior, Taker, and Flair were all over the top type of personas or gimmicks. So for Vince to go in that direction, Bret had to have ENOUGH emotional investment to justify it back then.

Between Bret's great in ring ability, his steady climb to the top, and that cool pink and black look that Vince could somewhat market, Bret had enough going for him to earn the WWF World Title. And from there, Bret was a multiple time WWF World Champ. So I give Bret MAJOR PROPS for thriving while being an EXCEPTION to what Vince normally looks for in a long term WWF World Champ. Even smaller great in ring workers like HBK and Savage had over the top or very flamboyant personalities.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    When u think about, Bret was ACTUALLY Vince's first world champ that didn't an over the top personality. I realize Backlund was still champ when Vince first took over from his pops. But Backlund was his pops' choice and not his. He was just biding his time until Hogan came aboard. But Hogan, Andre for a cup of coffee, Dibiase for a cup of coffee, Savage, Warrior, Taker, and Flair were all over the top type of personas or gimmicks. So for Vince to go in that direction, Bret had to have ENOUGH emotional investment to justify it back then.

Between Bret's great in ring ability, his steady climb to the top, and that cool pink and black look that Vince could somewhat market, Bret had enough going for him to earn the WWF World Title. And from there, Bret was a multiple time WWF World Champ. So I give Bret MAJOR PROPS for thriving while being an EXCEPTION to what Vince normally looks for in a long term WWF World Champ. Even smaller great in ring workers like HBK and Savage had over the top or very flamboyant personalities.
    And even Backlund had more of an over the top personality than Hart when he returned. But Hart's Hitman persona worked for him. It all fit from the gear to his finisher.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was rewatching La Haine the other night, and was amused by the main character's wall. France, 1995, Hitman was North America's biggest international wrestler in the world.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw a video of Bret's idea he pitched for the what would have been main event of mania 13 between he and HBK and I got to say...I can kind of see now why shawn lost his smile. lol.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spladle141 View Post
    I would put hogan, savage and then him right below taker. He is great and all but his 195lb frame and constantly getting beat up in bars and by Marty Jeanety takes away his credibility. I am a huge fan of Punk too but he don't belong on a top 20 list.
    Fair enough. I was just curous.

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffs brain View Post
    I'm sure tons of people would take some issue with a top ten list that doesn't have Hogan in it. However, its your right. I personally can't stand Hogan, but I can't with good conscience keep him out the top ten. Sure, if I were to hold all his backstage backstabbing and politics against his ranking he would fall out the top 500. However, I don't think those things should be considered.
    It just depends on what you are basing your "top 10" off of. My personal top 10 wouldn't have Hogan in it. I was watching a WWE Beyond The Ring Special a few days ago of the "Top 50 Greatest Superstars" or something to that nature. It was a WWE superstars list, so you didn't have people like Sting, DDP or Goldberg on it. Guess where Hogan was? Number 23. I was surprised to see it, but it just depends on what you are basing the top 10 off of. According to this special, which was released in 2011, the top 10 was...

10. Roddy Piper
    9. Rey Mysterio
    8. Andre The Giant
    7. Ricky Steamboat
    6. Harley Race
    5. The Rock
    4. Bret Hart
    3. Steve Austin
    2. The Undertaker
    1. Shawn Michaels

Obviously this isn't the "end-all, be-all" list, but I just thought I'd share.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RIH View Post
    Fair enough. I was just curous.

It just depends on what you are basing your "top 10" off of. My personal top 10 wouldn't have Hogan in it. I was watching a WWE Beyond The Ring Special a few days ago of the "Top 50 Greatest Superstars" or something to that nature. It was a WWE superstars list, so you didn't have people like Sting, DDP or Goldberg on it. Guess where Hogan was? Number 23. I was surprised to see it, but it just depends on what you are basing the top 10 off of. According to this special, which was released in 2011, the top 10 was...

10. Roddy Piper
    9. Rey Mysterio
    8. Andre The Giant
    7. Ricky Steamboat
    6. Harley Race
    5. The Rock
    4. Bret Hart
    3. Steve Austin
    2. The Undertaker
    1. Shawn Michaels

Obviously this isn't the "end-all, be-all" list, but I just thought I'd share.

To be fair, Hogan was with TNA at the time. TNA was trying to compete with the WWE at the time so I'm sure that had something to do with his being placed at number 23. I guarantee if they do that list around the time he left TNA and made his appearance at Mania 30, he would be in the top 5.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffs brain View Post
    To be fair, Hogan was with TNA at the time. TNA was trying to compete with the WWE at the time so I'm sure that had something to do with his being placed at number 23. I guarantee if they do that list around the time he left TNA and made his appearance at Mania 30, he would be in the top 5.
    You could be 100% correct, and this is one of the reasons I mentioned the fact that it was from 2011.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't exactly on topic but Bret damn near brought a tear to my eye today. I just watched that sit down interview with Bret and Shawn Michaels conducted by JR several years ago. Damn that was an awesome interview. Bret first talking about the screw job and getting a little choked up about it was rough, and the tears did flow a little for me when he talked about Vince being the first one to call him in the hospital after his stroke. That recounting of their feud was so fascinating. I would have loved if Vince had been there as well with HBK and Bret.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already rated Bret Hart pretty high, but it's even higher now after seeing this:

Thread Information