Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Broken Matt Hardy done?

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Broken Matt Hardy done?

I heard the Hardy's did an interview with WWE where Matt was out of character.

He hasn't done that since starting the Broken gimmick.

And I know that the TNA lawsuit is ongoing and could take years.

So is that it? Are we done with the Broken Matt Hardy character?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is Broken Matt Hardy done?

Kind of hope so. I was cool for a few weeks but for me got old really fast.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still-kinda-Broken Matt Hardy has tweeted.

The sheer NIRVANA of coming home to that DEAFENING ovation at #Wrestlemania seems to have contained my CONDISHTION. If it CAN be contained.
    It would appear as though the owl needs to be vanquished before Matt's #BROKEN Condeeshun can be fully unleashed. WWE is aware. Matt is containing himself.

I shall trust in the Seven Deities, and be patient.

It appears as though Matt (and by proxy, WWE) is saying "We know, guys. We know. Just let us handle this legal bullshit with Anthem. We're trying."
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Still-kinda-Broken Matt Hardy has tweeted.

It would appear as though the owl needs to be vanquished before Matt's #BROKEN Condeeshun can be fully unleashed. WWE is aware. Matt is containing himself.

I shall trust in the Seven Deities, and be patient.

It appears as though Matt (and by proxy, WWE) is saying "We know, guys. We know. Just let us handle this legal bullshit with Anthem. We're trying."
    Doesn't sound good then.

I mean, WWE is bad enough and the Hardys are gonna need everything at their disposal to have any success there. Even one month in entertainment is an eternity.

This lawsuit ain't gonna be over anytime soon. Unless they settle.

So what do fans have to look forward to? The old hardy boys? In a company only barely better than TNA?

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At the moment they are some strange hybrid of Broken Hardyz and Team Extreme. At least Matt is. Jeff has seemingly reverted to normal Jeff for now. Matt is wearing normal ring gear and comes out to the Team Extreme music, but he's kept the hair and his Broken mannerisms. I guess we just have to play the waiting game.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I wouldn't want him doing the character in WWE. It works elsewhere, where he has the freedom to come up with stuff for it. In WWE, their writers would be controlling it, and in turn, it could lose anything that makes it good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't want him doing the character in WWE. It works elsewhere, where he has the freedom to come up with stuff for it. In WWE, their writers would be controlling it, and in turn, it could lose anything that makes it good.
    I don't know ... I think Vince or some other person high up might fuck it up.

There's always danger of that.

But the writers? They never do shit. Either because it's a crazy ass system where the writers have no freedom to do anything on their own, or because they just dont' do the work.

(These are the writers who "didn't have anything lined up" for AJ Styles.)

I'm not saying it'll work in WWE. Just that it has a better shot that old school Hardys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it'll go over as well as when Zack Ryder's show was taken over by WWE.com.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's give it more then one Raw before we assume it's dead. He's very clearly doing the mannerisms and there are multiple WWE youtube videos of Matt and Jeff using the good old words like obsolete, delete and wonderful etc.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be totally honest, I like how Matt is now. It's this hybrid character that seems to be working so far.

You can't ignore the history the Hardy Boyz have in the WWE, but you also can't ignore the last year or two of Matt's career. He's Matt Hardy but with this weird twitch, and the crowd can chant "DELETE!" to their heart's content. It's the best of both worlds.

Maybe sometime down the road the legal thing gets settled, the Hardyz lose the tag titles, then it drives them mad and they become "broken," searching for that one last title reign. Or maybe we just get one last good run out of them and this hybrid team of old and broken continues on. Either way I think I'm happy with it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    I'm sure it'll go over as well as when Zack Ryder's show was taken over by WWE.com.
    Haha. Yes. Welcome ... to the sarcastic side of the force!

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Let's give it more then one Raw before we assume it's dead. He's very clearly doing the mannerisms and there are multiple WWE youtube videos of Matt and Jeff using the good old words like obsolete, delete and wonderful etc.
    I hear they're suing the odd word and voice infliction but not the actual character. Like Matt is just being Matt but saying "Wonderful!" Every now and again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    To be totally honest, I like how Matt is now. It's this hybrid character that seems to be working so far.

You can't ignore the history the Hardy Boyz have in the WWE, but you also can't ignore the last year or two of Matt's career. He's Matt Hardy but with this weird twitch, and the crowd can chant "DELETE!" to their heart's content. It's the best of both worlds.

Maybe sometime down the road the legal thing gets settled, the Hardyz lose the tag titles, then it drives them mad and they become "broken," searching for that one last title reign. Or maybe we just get one last good run out of them and this hybrid team of old and broken continues on. Either way I think I'm happy with it.
    I don't think there's a distinction between WWE Hardys and Broken Hardys. I think they're the same characters ... just doing the broken gimmick is cooler.

Also, I'm really big on storylines making sense and doing it mid way through their WWE run would be odd. You'd have to explain why they went back to their original selves and that'd be hard.

I know, I know, wrestling doesn't have to make sense ... but I wish it did more often.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I think is while no doubt the Bucks learned a lot from the Hardyz, they learned a lot from the Bucks as well. I think Matt is keeping the Broken gimmick for his fans "in the know." So expect it on Twitter. For WWE, he will do what they want. I assume we will see some of Broken Matt brough to Matt Hardy, but I assume the crazier shit like the Seven Deities and the extended cast are gone. Obviously Nero is gone, which I am bummed about, but get. People LOVE Jeff, so mine as well let them have Jeff, since his time is nearly over.

That sad, I expect Matt to work a new gimmick for WWE that is essentially, Broken Matt 2.0. Fuck they may just redo the whole damn story and just to fuck with TNA refer to him as Fixed Matt Hardy when he returns broken. Which I am actually really down for, as I love WWE remaking classic angles as they tend to nail them when other feds laid out exactly how to do them, e.g. Summer of Punk 2.0.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    What I think is while no doubt the Bucks learned a lot from the Hardyz, they learned a lot from the Bucks as well. I think Matt is keeping the Broken gimmick for his fans "in the know." So expect it on Twitter. For WWE, he will do what they want. I assume we will see some of Broken Matt brough to Matt Hardy, but I assume the crazier shit like the Seven Deities and the extended cast are gone.
    I'd be disapointed if I was watching the WWE. Here's why.

It's great that twitter and the internet serve as this great space for the talent to do extra stuff to get themselves over. But at the end of the day? You are selling a product. And a huge portion of the audiance is only gonna watch the TV show.

It would be like watching the Walking Dead but all the great stuff only happened on the show's official twitter. I'm all for the internet and such but at some point you gotta put up a good product on the actual show.

Obviously Nero is gone, which I am bummed about, but get. People LOVE Jeff, so mine as well let them have Jeff, since his time is nearly over.
    Two things. I dont' know how long his contract is or how much longer he'll wrestle but as a fan that's the last thing you wanna hear, I'd suspect, that somebody's time is nearly over. I look at guys like Jericho who can do huge things still but will never be taken seriously or used well because they're older and should only be "Putting over talent" or getting a swan song.

And also, brother Nero is Jeff hardy and vice versa. The fact that Matt was calling him that and Jeff was doing that, it made Jeff Hardy better. Nobody loses for out for the Nero character being there. But people do miss out for it not being there.

That sad, I expect Matt to work a new gimmick for WWE that is essentially, Broken Matt 2.0. Fuck they may just redo the whole damn story and just to fuck with TNA refer to him as Fixed Matt Hardy when he returns broken. Which I am actually really down for, as I love WWE remaking classic angles as they tend to nail them when other feds laid out exactly how to do them, e.g. Summer of Punk 2.0.
    I admit this would work. But my respect for writing, again, I wish they would explain everything and make it make sense.

But I can admit it would still be cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    Also, I'm really big on storylines making sense and doing it mid way through their WWE run would be odd. You'd have to explain why they went back to their original selves and that'd be hard.
    Actually, WWE does not. Matt seems happier than he used to be, and his hair is weirder, but Team Extreme is back and as good as ever. In WWE land TNA never happened. So Matt may have been a little loopy at times, but everything is good.

Also if WWE wants to mention Broken Matt, they can refer to a time in the past where Matt was not himself. So when they redo the Broken Angle, which they will no doubt do since it is not only free money, but they can refine the angle to make a Hardyz Boys breakup and Matt breaking even better. The original angle was ok, but I think it would have been far, far better, if Matt was not broken by Jeff doing a high spot, but as a result of Jeff going for the big move instead of looking out for his partner. If I think this, no doubt Matt is considering it. But anyway, they can break Matt and either refer to Broken Matt then, or just mention after he is revealed that this is not the first time something like this has happened to him. As to why he returned to normal, those who watch multiple feds know about character changes, and those who do not, well, they have no idea who Broken Matt is or why he seems odd at times.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, WWE does not. Matt seems happier than he used to be, and his hair is weirder, but Team Extreme is back and as good as ever. In WWE land TNA never happened. So Matt may have been a little loopy at times, but everything is good.

Also if WWE wants to mention Broken Matt, they can refer to a time in the past where Matt was not himself. So when they redo the Broken Angle, which they will no doubt do since it is not only free money, but they can refine the angle to make a Hardyz Boys breakup and Matt breaking even better. The original angle was ok, but I think it would have been far, far better, if Matt was not broken by Jeff doing a high spot, but as a result of Jeff going for the big move instead of looking out for his partner. If I think this, no doubt Matt is considering it. But anyway, they can break Matt and either refer to Broken Matt then, or just mention after he is revealed that this is not the first time something like this has happened to him. As to why he returned to normal, those who watch multiple feds know about character changes, and those who do not, well, they have no idea who Broken Matt is or why he seems odd at times.
    You'd still have to explain why they reverted. I mean, you odn't have to to do anything, it's like, "How do you kill a vampire, right?"

Anyway you want, Vampires don't exist.

But I suspect that in fiction you get rewarded when people can follow it without having explain on behalf of the company.

I look at it like this. If I'm watching with a non-wrestling fan, and they're not calling out all the ridiculous stuff that doesnt' make sense ...

I call that a win. Because that potential fan has less of an obstacle to becoming a regular fan , and it elevates the product and medium itself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would they have to explain TNA though? Matt will not be Broken Matt in WWE. He can revise the gimmick, so why not make it better. As for WWE, they never explained why wrestlers have different names in WWE as opposed to outside of it. They never mentioned Ohno wrestled as Chris Hero during his time away from WWE and no one really cares. We just expect WWE will rebrand characters now. Also Vince really cannot use anything from TNA, so the details of the Broken storyline they cannot use as part of their Matt Hardy character stories. Matt may own the character, but Anthem owns the history.

Also Nero was different from Jeff. He was tougher, harder edged, with a different look. As for Jeff's time being up, he said during his interviews he wanted to return to WWE, have one last run then retire to Undertaker during a Hell in the Cell match at Wrestlemania. I am not putting him down, but if Jeff wants to retire, I will not oppose it given really, with his style, I am shocked he can still walk, let alone wrestle the way he does. I do believe both Hardyz are part time, as both said that was a key part they wanted to return.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would they have to explain TNA though? Matt will not be Broken Matt in WWE. He can revise the gimmick, so why not make it better. As for WWE, they never explained why wrestlers have different names in WWE as opposed to outside of it. They never mentioned Ohno wrestled as Chris Hero during his time away from WWE and no one really cares. We just expect WWE will rebrand characters now. Also Vince really cannot use anything from TNA, so the details of the Broken storyline they cannot use as part of their Matt Hardy character stories. Matt may own the character, but Anthem owns the history.

Also Nero was different from Jeff. He was tougher, harder edged, with a different look. As for Jeff's time being up, he said during his interviews he wanted to return to WWE, have one last run then retire to Undertaker during a Hell in the Cell match at Wrestlemania. I am not putting him down, but if Jeff wants to retire, I will not oppose it given really, with his style, I am shocked he can still walk, let alone wrestle the way he does. I do believe both Hardyz are part time, as both said that was a key part they wanted to return.
    Nah, I don't think Nero was different. I mean, he's different in the way that anyone's different after a few years. But not an altogether different character. Although it doesn't matter much. Matt's the important one when it comes to character.

Now I agree with you on two things. They probably dont' have the rights to the Impact history and also WWE doesn't usually talk about the past.

But I think everyone knows that the reason WWE went after these guys was the broken stuff. And while they don't have to go into the history, they do have to make the story make sense. They don't have to violate copyright to do that. You just mention something vaguely.

But yeah, maybe WWE hasnt' gone out of their way to promote the "broken" Hardy's but the fans chant for it, it's the reason the fans are happy to see the Hardys there.

I'm just saying, nothing exists in a bubble and yes, if I were a WWE writer or producer, I'd feel obligated to explain it all to the extent I can.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's to explain? That Matt Hardy was ' Broken Matt ' in an indy fed?

Why would the WWE need to explain or feel obligated to explain it. The internet has filled in all the blanks. While ' The Hardy Boyz ' are much more valuable to the WWE, than an unsustainable gimmick.

If they do have to indulge the geeks who care about the broken stuff - " Matt and Jeff left, and went on an expedition of gold - capturing titles around the globe. They are citizens of the world. Jeff was the crazy one, now he's the boring one. Now Matt is the crazy one. The end. "

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nath45 View Post
    What's to explain? That Matt Hardy was ' Broken Matt ' in an indy fed?

Why would the WWE need to explain or feel obligated to explain it. The internet has filled in all the blanks. While ' The Hardy Boyz ' are much more valuable to the WWE, than an unsustainable gimmick.

If they do have to indulge the geeks who care about the broken stuff - " Matt and Jeff left, and went on an expedition of gold - capturing titles around the globe. They are citizens of the world. Jeff was the crazy one, now he's the boring one. Now Matt is the crazy one. The end. "
    You seem to carry a bit of hostility towards fans that enjoyed things outside of mainstream WWE, for some reason. It was a career renaissance for Matt, who has spent his entire career in his brother's shadow.

What's wrong with Matt having something that he can hang his own hat on besides being the other half of Team Xtreme?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to carry a bit of hostility towards fans that enjoyed things outside of mainstream WWE, for some reason. It was a career renaissance for Matt, who has spent his entire career in his brother's shadow.

What's wrong with Matt having something that he can hang his own hat on besides being the other half of Team Xtreme?
    Exactly, the broken thing was a big deal. Somebody on here even called it "Main Stream" appeal.

I don't know about that but it could have been. Lord knows I have sat with people who don't watch wrestling regularly and they were like, "OH, shit, this is actually fun."

I'm not saying WWE CAN do the broken gimmick right now. But I am saying, it's a huge loss that they can't.

Friend of Jericho. Saffron Warrior's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, It broke my heart to see Matt talk normally on Raw Talk.

The Broken gimmick was a once in a blue moon character which Matt pulled of to perfection. I think he will always have traces of the character with him such as the laugh and the delete chants but I really hope this issue gets resolved so we can see the full blown broken Matt soon. Fuck Anthem, those petty assholes for ruining all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    I don't think there's a distinction between WWE Hardys and Broken Hardys. I think they're the same characters ... just doing the broken gimmick is cooler.

I know, I know, wrestling doesn't have to make sense ... but I wish it did more often.
    Well that is simple, In a TLC Match Matt takes a solid bump to this head and BOOM! He regains consciousness of his broken brilliance, somewhat like the angle they did in TNA when he looses his memory.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron Warrior View Post
    Man, It broke my heart to see Matt talk normally on Raw Talk.

The Broken gimmick was a once in a blue moon character which Matt pulled of to perfection. I think he will always have traces of the character with him such as the laugh and the delete chants but I really hope this issue gets resolved so we can see the full blown broken Matt soon. Fuck Anthem, those petty assholes for ruining all the fun.

Well that is simple, In a TLC Match Matt takes a solid bump to this head and BOOM! He regains consciousness of his broken brilliance, somewhat like the angle they did in TNA when he looses his memory.
    Agreed. And yeah, that would work.

But I'd still wanna explain why they went back to normal in the wwe.

Anyway, here's a problem TNA has ... there's so many good alternatives to "tv wrestling."

I mean, hoodslam has this thing called "hoodslamery" where for 2 bucks you get all their shows for a month.

With competition like that from countless companies ... this is the last thing TNA needs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does the WWE need to explain anything to the fans? It would be like Marvel buying Batman then feeling the need to explain why Batman is Batman by telling the world, to make sure you read the DC stuff first.

TNA produced Styles, Roode, Young, Aries, and reestablished The Dudleyz as any but the third wheel in a Hardys/E&C spotfest. But the WWE doesn't acknowledge or need to explain the origin stories behind these wrestlers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt WWE's enthusiasm to use the Broken Universe is anywhere near as high as the Hardyz or their fans. I expect the next six months at the very least to be a Hardy Boyz nostalgia run - where they go from there depends on how Vince views them and whether he thinks the Broken gimmick is worth pursuing legally. My gut instinct says he won't have much interest it.

Thread Information