Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE Women's Tournament Coming Summer 2017 (Spoiler-Free Thread)

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WWE Women's Tournament Coming Summer 2017 (Spoiler-Free Thread)

They've just announced that it's coming to the Network this summer at their business summit. All three women's champions there. Very cool.

Confirmed by Triple H: 32 women from 17 countries.

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/848207928792412162

http://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-annou...k?sf67357848=1

For the first time in WWE history, 32 of the top female competitors from around the world will participate in a tournament this summer on WWE Network.

The long-rumored tournament was confirmed today as part of “WWE Reimagined,” a presentation held at a business partner summit in Orlando, Fla., during WrestleMania Week.

Competitors from 17 countries are expected to participate in the tournament, underscoring the breadth and international diversity of women’s wrestling.

Raw Women’s Champion Bayley, SmackDown Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss and undefeated NXT Women’s Champion Asuka – all of whom are slated for title defenses this weekend – were on hand to break the big news with Paul "Triple H" Levesque, Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events & Creative, and Stephanie McMahon, Chief Brand Officer. The tournament marks a new milestone for WWE’s ongoing Women’s Evolution.

"Building on our Women's division, it gives us great pleasure to share in announcing what's next for WWE," said Bayley. "For the first time ever, this summer, WWE will feature a Women's Tournament."

“I speak on behalf of all of us, not just the champions standing before you today, but the entire Women's division. It's truly an honor to be part of another significant movement in WWE history,” Bliss said.

After speaking to the audience in Japanese, Asuka said in English, "I am proud to be part of the Women's Evolution, representing Japan and WWE."

The tournament comes on the heels of other successful WWE Network tournaments, such as last year’s Cruiserweight Classic, which focused on competitors 205 pounds and lighter, and January’s United Kingdom Championship Tournament, which spotlighted the U.K.’s toughest grapplers.
    Last edited by Stefan; 04-01-2017 at 12:26 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WWE Women's Tournament Coming Summer 2017

Super excited. So curious who gets brought in for this.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't be surprised if they bring back some old faces to be part of the tournament, like they did with the crusierweight with Tajiri & Brian Kendrick

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Lita competes for sure.

This is awesome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine there are some diamonds in the rough from countries like Mexico, India, Korea, Russia that would be great adds.

I imagine Aksana might be brought back just for this if they want a Lithuania rep. She left on good terms with the company. Now whether the purists want to see her is another story.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Aksana back. This could be the perfect way to bring Ivelisse back aswell. That girl has SmackDown written all over her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer's on the banner, so surely she'll go far right?

<_< I know.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    I imagine there are some diamonds in the rough from countries like Mexico, India, Korea, Russia that would be great adds.

I imagine Aksana might be brought back just for this if they want a Lithuania rep. She left on good terms with the company. Now whether the purists want to see her is another story.

Why would anyone want Aksana in a tourney supposedly showcasing the best female talent in the world, when she was horrible when she was wrestling and hasn't shown any interest in wrestling since leaving ? Even Lita seems like an odd fit to be honest, she hasn't wrestled consistently (or at all idk) in over a decade , and was never a top tier wrestler in the first place .

It's weird , whenever WWE has tourney like this for male talents people want them to use the best tip tier talent available . Now that it's time for one for female talents people are arguing for random past divas, and people who haven't wrestled in forever

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well 19 different countries and unless they have Lana represent Russia despite Perry really being from Florida, you're going to get gals like Aksana to represent these smaller countries.

I think Sara Del Rey will be in this tourney and might go into at least the semifinals with her "Veteran trainer who has seen countless girls achieve their WWE dreams because of her sacrifice" heel gimmick. I think she deserves a slot here and to look really good given what she has done for the WWE the past few years.

SDR vs the future female champ as a finals showdown would be great.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well 19 different countries and unless they have Lana represent Russia despite Perry really being from Florida, you're going to get gals like Aksana to represent these smaller countries.

I think Sara Del Rey will be in this tourney and might go into at least the semifinals with her "Veteran trainer who has seen countless girls achieve their WWE dreams because of her sacrifice" heel gimmick. I think she deserves a slot here and to look really good given what she has done for the WWE the past few years.

SDR vs the future female champ as a finals showdown would be great.

Or they could find indy talents from there Blindy. Or use american talents with Eastern European heritage , not that hard. Both options are way better than using Aksana who sucks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Angela Fong still in Lucha Underground as Black Lotus? If given the chance, I'd love to see her back as Savannah and represent Hong Kong.

Other than that, I see at least one reliable old hand coming back for this match: the likely ones being Victoria, Ivory, or Jazz. We'll probably have the two new Japanese signees as representing Japan. But this is just wide open. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ivelisse, Kimber Lee, Cheerleader Melissa, or even Velvet Sky there. Madison Eagles for Australia? Nicole Matthews for Canada?

Cool moment with the three women's champions being there, though. Much better than just having Steph and Triple H. Or even the 4 Horsewomen. At least they show the girls who are currently at the top of their respective rosters. As for the graphic, it's nice to see Alicia in the front row. Cool to also see Peyton and Billie along with Asuka and Ember as the NXT representatives. Emma's not there, though. Could Emma worm her way into the tournament as Australia's representative? *GASP*
    ★ DO IT WITH FLAIR! ★

-surrender-

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WWE has quietly signed up some big names for the tournament, including indie stars Heidi Lovelace, Evie, Kimber Lee, and Kairi Hojo. Japanese star Io Shirai (considered by many to be the best female wrestler in the world) also recently had a tryout with the WWE and could be another wrestler for the tournament.

The WWE Women's Tournament could also explain why the NXT women's division has felt thin in recent months. After Carmella, Alexa Bliss, Bayley, and Nia Jax were all called up to the main roster in summer 2016, the women's division has shrunk to just five wrestlers. It's possible the WWE is holding some of their talent back for the women's tournament, which would also explain why Asuka is rumored to stay in NXT for at least a few more months.

Other than finding out who exactly will be participating in the competition, the biggest question is what the wrestlers will be competing for. Both the Cruiserweight Classic and the UK Tournament ended with the winner earning a new championship belt, but there's already three women's titles in the WWE. Will the winner get a title shot against one of the existing champions? Or will they be competing for a vacant title, perhaps caused by Asuka getting her call up to the main roster?
    http://comicbook.com/wwe/2017/04/01/...t-summer-2017/

"It's the sad thing about entertainment, it's not always about who is the best."
    - Jake "The Snake" Roberts

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see this has been confirmed, I'm really looking forward to this tournament.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super
    Skull Man, The Reflection

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Angela Fong is pregnant.

It'd be cool to see some returning divas mixed in with the new signees. Jackie and Melina are the first names that come to mind. My dream returning participant would be Gail Kim though. She's openly tweeting about WWE superstars and events now.

I'm sure Jinny and Toni Storm will be used just as their male counterparts were used for the U.K. Tournament.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gail Kim is still rehabbing her back...

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope we see Sweet Sayara. Be a bit upset if Mercedes Martinez is not used at all. Ditto for LuFisto. Ivelisse I assume is out due to Lucha Underground.

Not sure how I feel about Death Ray in this. I think she transcended wrestling at this point. Very few girls I would even see as real competition for her at this point. Asuka for sure, Hojo and Shirai as well, but for most girls I would expect her to just to run them over. Including nearly everyone on the main roster, which is the problem. Using Death Ray kind of de-legitimizes the main roster and the champs since she is so good. It becomes, they only are champs because Death Ray is not on the roster.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a theory mentioned in comment sections and other forums that think Asuka will get drafted to raw, or smackdown, and be forced to drop the nxt women's title and that this tournament will be for said title.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surrender View Post
    I think Angela Fong is pregnant.

It'd be cool to see some returning divas mixed in with the new signees. Jackie and Melina are the first names that come to mind. My dream returning participant would be Gail Kim though. She's openly tweeting about WWE superstars and events now.
    She probably shouldn't have launched herself out of a WWE Divas battle royale match a couple years back if she at all cared about being in the WWE.

The last two women who won the WWE Womens' Title on their debut have become malcontents, should be a lesson moving forward for the WWE.

I'd like to see a K2 redemption run, I am so ready for some Kelly Kelly. Aren't we all? K2 might be a RAW returnee right off the bat though. I'm ready for the female answer of Roman Reigns on RAW. Sufferin Succotash!
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I forgot about Evie! If she joins in, I'd be supporting her (considering I'm currently living in New Zealand)!

Angela Fong is pregnant? Well, the timing sucks. I don't think Gail coming back will be good for both sides. Gail will probably be used in the same capacity Mickie is now and she probably won't like it. But at least there's a better overall atmosphere for the women know, so we'll see what happens. But I think a more subdued returning name would be better than Gail Kim.
    ★ DO IT WITH FLAIR! ★

-surrender-

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She probably shouldn't have launched herself out of a WWE Divas battle royale match a couple years back if she at all cared about being in the WWE.

The last two women who won the WWE Womens' Title on their debut have become malcontents, should be a lesson moving forward for the WWE.

I'd like to see a K2 redemption run, I am so ready for some Kelly Kelly. Aren't we all? K2 might be a RAW returnee right off the bat though. I'm ready for the female answer of Roman Reigns on RAW. Sufferin Succotash!
    If they can forgive the title belt being tossed in the trash, they can forgive Gail

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from cageside seats:

There had been some whispers earlier this week that WWE might push back their already announced women’s tournament, but a new report from PWInsider provides dates that are within the Summer 2017 timeframe the company previously discussed.

Thursday, July 13 and Friday, July 14 is when the ladies will take over Full Sail - and Insider does say they’ll be filming in the same Winter Park, Florida environs where the Cruiserweight Classic (CWC) was shot.

Talent-wise, there’s no news. The focus on international competitors is mentioned again, as well as word that many of the 32 person field are undergoing their background checks now.

What is new is the planned method of release. Unlike the CWC, NXT and all in-ring shows produced for the Network to date, Insider says the Women’s tournament will be rolled out as Video On Demand (VOD) programming, similar to how Netflix releases shows. WWE Network has done this in the past with series like Holy Foley and Camp WWE, but never for a wrestling-centric product like this tournament.

Plans for the final to be aired live on Tuesday, August 29 remain.
    in one sense, it feels like they're making it less important than the CWC. but in another regard, the first round was mostly skippable and only real purpose was introducing you to the talent. I wouldn't mind if the first round was all at once, second and third round aired seperately, but can still be all at once. and final round live.
    Candice Larae, Bea Priestley, Nixon Newell, and Tessa Blanchard tribute
    Finn Balor is the future of the WWE
    Siera, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta - Forever
    Cena fan for LIFE
    Did you know, without lifts, Ambrose is taller than Reigns by an inch?

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PLEASE bring Kong/Kharma back for this, and maybe back to the main roster on SmackDown for a short while as well. It might even be cool to see her and Nia Jax face off in this tournament, even though I can't stand Nia and Kong is better in every way.

Anyone think there's a chance of Kharma being in this tourney?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant. View Post
    PLEASE bring Kong/Kharma back for this, and maybe back to the main roster on SmackDown for a short while as well. It might even be cool to see her and Nia Jax face off in this tournament, even though I can't stand Nia and Kong is better in every way.

Anyone think there's a chance of Kharma being in this tourney?
    She has a Netflix show coming out that she'd probably want to promote, so no.

Candice LeRae seems to be a favorite to win this whole thing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few reports that Io isn't going to sign and that there is interest in bringing Mia Yim and Marti Belle in for this tournament.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the second ever WWE Women's Tournament, no? I know there was one in the early '90's when the Women's Division was revived w/ Alundra Blayze.

Thread Information