Thread: The Resist Movement

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Resist Movement

Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia announced yesterday he's going to support Neil Gorsuch. It's not an unreasonable position for him. Trump dominated West Virginia, Manchin is up for reeeection in 2018 and has been a Democrat in a state that's been hell for Democrats for several cycles now.

But that's a problem for today's left. There's a new organization, "We Will Primary You" that now plans to fund a more liberal opponent in the Democratic Primary against Manchin and has promised to against any candidate that supports Gorsuch. https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...rsuch-n2295463

So where do you stand with the resist everything crowd? Should they oppose any attempts of bipartisan working on infrastructure or tax reform just because Trump is president? How will this ever end?

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Resist Movement

So my thoughts - I'm pretty opposed to the Trump agenda on health care, on environmental policy, on tax cuts for the wealthy, for cutting social programs to fund that tax cut and billions more in military spending, and just his "America First, fuck the rest of the world" mentality.

But I also feel like the resist everything movement is childish and immature, and the primary every moderate Democrat who works with the opposition strategy is a plan that will keep Republicans in charge of the parties for another decade.

I also think it reaks of hypocrisy. Anyone who ever complained about McConnell doing this and now supports Dems doing the same shit seems silly. I get that it worked and whatever, but that's because we gave no other alternative.

There are honest to God fights worth having right now. But when infrastructure reform comes up no Democrat should refuse the chance to work on it just because of who else works on it.

I don't know if I'm articulating well, I've written this in between feeding a child, getting a movie turned on, and doing dishes. But I'm honestly disturbed by my party taking up the mantle that just a year ago they were disgusted by. I thought we were the grown ups, turns out we are just pouters too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Resist Movement

Resist movements are what essentially created this problem. It was always assumed that a congress would compromise. Compromise is the foundation of all democratic systems. Resist movements are more of an autocratic device, which is where the US has been heading more and more over the last 50 years, towards an autocratic government. The less congress is able to get done, the weaker it gets, until eventually, the executive branch becomes the main branch of power in the US.

That said, I do support backing the filibuster and forcing the nuclear option to be used. It will be fun to watch the GOP destroy a lot of their power in the Senate.
    Last edited by Engel; 04-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Thread Information