Thread: WWE should start allowing cruiserweight guys to have matches with the regular roster

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WWE should start allowing cruiserweight guys to have matches with the regular roster

We all know that the WWE loves doing rematch after rematch, giving away some matches that should be saved for PPV on Raw, and having the same matches week in and week out, but with this roster they have, there is no reason to be doing any of that. Every once in a while, I think WWE should allow cruiserweights to compete in matches against members of the regular roster, which would allow matches such as Aries vs Jericho, Aries vs Rollins, Aries vs Styles, Aries vs Zayn, Aries vs Cesaro, Aries vs Joe, Aries vs Bálor, etc. to happen and you could put literally any cruiserweight in those kinds of matches. Not all the time but maybe once or twice a month. That way, TV matches get freshened up a bit and interest gets retained/gained back in the Cruiserweight division.

Right now, every Cruiserweight match feels like it's dragging, and you have guys like Reigns and Owens facing each other almost every single week, and the Cruiserweight division has too many restrictions, which is why it appears to be failing.

If you have Aries, Swann, Tozawa, etc. face regular roster members every now and then, you have fresher matchups, more interest in the Cruiserweight division, and happier fans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WWE should start allowing cruiserweight guys to have matches with the regular ros

In trying to establish a "brand" per se in the cruiserweight division you should hardly deviate from the plan. I feel like the plan is to take a page out of what WCW had back in the day and try to strike lighting in a bottle again. Its not happening in my opinion because the division as a whole isn't getting the proper push. I also want to add that the talent in Jericho, Guerrero, Mysterio, Psychosis, Malenko etc vastly over shadows todays talent imo. The guys today can have great matches but personalities and stories are lacking. I do think that "having great matches" is a little played out because stories and characters sell in WWE, having the matches is secondary. Its possible that WWE is playing the cruiserweight division backwards. Also the narrative of these "smaller" guys competing against "heavyweight" needs to played upon wisely. Otherwise you have cruiserweights losing matches against guys "they don't belong in the ring with." Or - winning matches against potential main event talents. Whats the point of their cruiserweight division at that point? With all that said I don't think starting the cruiserweight division was a good idea because the true talent in that roster can actually bang with the other roster. These are the type of guys who should be going after the US title. After some of them succeed in the US title chase, then its on the the IC title. After that is attained then the possibility of them facing main event talent is acceptable. Its all about the push really.

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WWE should start allowing cruiserweight guys to have matches with the regular ros

I'm not a fan of the current cruiserweight division, because I feel we don't need it.

Size isn't the barrier it was 20 years ago ( much of the main roster barely weighs in at 220lbs, thus why they reduced it to 205 ) and have always felt, whether it was the early 2000's cruiserweight division or the current one, it usually stigmatizes the talent with a few rare exceptions.

Here in Australia, at half time during the Football, they let the kids come out to play a quick game - that's what the cruiserweight division feels like on Raw - they change the ropes, the lighting, the mat, everything and then the kids come out to play. And most people don't care.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, it feels like the "Cruiserweight Division" is a separate brand. Personally, I like watching 205 Live and I think there are a lot of great matches, but I think it's completely unnecessary. To me, it seems as if you are a cruiserweight, you are only going to be fighting other cruiserweights. This is basically what the concept has been. They change the damn ring ropes and everything when ever it's a "cruiserweight division" match. I don't like this. I wish they would stop acknowledging it like it's a separate roster. It's fine to have the cruiserweights face each other fairly consistently, and I think it's honestly expected. However, don't limit the cruiserweights to ONLY fighting each other. I say they should stop treating it like a separate brand altogether, let the cruiserweights face each other like we expect them too, but ALSO, let them face other members of the roster as well. As it seems now, it's like we will ONLY see cruiserweights facing OTHER cruiserweights and nothing else. I think this will get stale after awhile.

Thread Information