Thread: Computer Age

vCash
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Computer Age

In the year 2017, almost everyone has some sort of access to a computer and the internet. You may own one or use one at a local library. In the past, having a computer in your own home was a rarity. Today people have much more powerful computers in their pockets than the standards of yesteryear. These days, computers are much more commonplace, but getting one of your very own is still kind of special.

When did you get your first computer? Give us all the details!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Computer Age

My dad works in IT so we always had computers at home, but the first one that was "mine" was the school laptop I got in grade five. From memory it was a disgustingly heavy, ugly Toshiba. We used to play multiplayer Age of Empires and GTA 2 over the local network.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2005 I got my 1st PC,a Dell. I had no idea to use a computer it took me many years to learn how to type anywhere close to decent,let alone find a way to formulate my voice. I'm nowhere near perfect but I've gotten a much better handle on things then at the start.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas Day, 1997. Our family got an Acer Aspire computer. With a whopping 16 megabytes of RAM, and a huge 3.2 Gigabyte hard drive. Cost us $3500 for the whole shebang.

My first personal one was Christmas 2007, when I got an eMachine laptop.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C64 baby. Still have it. Even have a modem and the internet phone book for it.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically our first computer was an Amiga 500, which my dad got around 1990... but that was basically used as a console and never had internet access. Our first proper PC was a Compaq Presario in 1999 - in retrospect it really sucked, but at the time I was thrilled. We didn't get internet on it until 2000, and at that point it was just shitty 56k dialup. I don't miss it.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In the early 2000s we had a family computer. I was already an internet addict, but dialup internet was a scarce resource back then so my time was limited. Everyone had to write down their time using the internet so we didn't overstep the monthly quota too soon. Hard times

The first computer I got for myself was a laptop for university. I got it from a company that custom makes computers. It was reasonably powerful for its time (2007) and over the years I buggered the thing with excess gaming. After three years it overheated frequently, even when not gaming, and by the fourth year it was frazzled. By that point I had already got a desktop to replace it which I am still using to this day. It's been going pretty strong. The CPU busted about a year ago (after over 5 years) so I got it replaced along with a much needed graphics card upgrade. Besides that, no problems. I also got a new laptop a few years back. Lenovo S205. Not powerful at all but very light and compact. That's all I needed at the time. I barely use it anymore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought a used Apple IIc around 1996. It just played games on big floppy disks and made terrible banners, but the games were fun. We got an Acer that could connect to dialup internet around 1999 and I got my first personal computer in 2001 as a graduation gift.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember having an Apple IIc but don't remember anything more than playing Oregon Trail on it.

Then the family got a Mac Performa 550 with 33 MHz of FURY~!, a few home-built PC's after that (the first ones we had that could really go online) where it was ostensibly a family computer but no one but me was really using it so I don't know if that counts.

The first computer I can call mine-mine is a laptop I bought in '06; I still have it and occasionally use it to travel with when I want a computer handy but wouldn't lose much sleep if it got broken.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a used computer from a friend back around 2001 for $250. He gave me a personal guarantee that it would work until we finished school or he would fix/replace it. The day I took my last final exam I went home poured a drink and started watching TV. The computer was on but I hadn't touched it in hours. Suddenly it fired up on its own and started printing out this funky grid. Then there was a few sparks and some smoke that shot out of the back of it. It was fried. My friends "warranty" lasted exactly as long as he promised. I showed him the grid that was printed and we agreed it must have been some cyber suicide note!
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i got my first PC around 2000... Back then people were going crazy that changing date to "2000" will kill all computers. I remember I did not have Windows back than and some guy just taught me how to use BIOS and how to play games. I don't even remember what I've played back than but I remember that it was such an amazing experience...

Later I was crying a lot because I wanted a PC that will run Pink Panther...

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a home computer since the TI-99 was introduced so I've grown up with one in the hpuse my entire life. Commodore 128, then the IBM, so on. We were always staying close to the times with PC Technology. I still have the TI-99, and the Commodore in storage. I'll drag them out every once and a while whereas my Atari is always in the living room for nostalgia.
    I remember during the days of dial up, there would be phone line wires running all over the house from various computers to phone jacks. It was like running a gauntlet getting around the house if everyone was using their computers. Started learning to code right around the AOL days. Since then I've always done something involving computers whether as side jobs like looking over code, doing background checks for people, or helping friends out by adminning their sites or beta testing games for them. The trick is staying agead of the curve now. There are so many branches and they move so fast its tough to keep up of you aren't doing it full time.
    -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
    -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
    -KCCO
    ---θ---
    Currently playing:
    PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
    Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
    IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
    Feel free to add me.

Thread Information