Thread: Papa Shango

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Papa Shango

So, I'm thinking of a new article to be written and Papa Shango jumped into my head. I personally have always enjoyed the character, but it appears that at the time, the character was panned by most fans and critics. However, nowadays the character has a mild cult following of appreciation.

The feud with Warrior was hilariously awful, I thought. Still, there was a lot they could have done with the character in the New Generation days.

What do you guys think?

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Papa Shango

Major missed opportunity as far as a feud with Undertaker. And would've loved to see the proper conclusion of his feud with Warrior.

vCash
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was a huge fan. There was a few month stretch there where I was more into Shango than anything else in wrestling. He was unique. I ate up all the 'curses' Setting that jobber's boots on fire.....'cursing' the Warrior and even Mean Gene.....memorable stuff.

I was surprised when I got online in the late 90s and found out that people somehow didn't like Papa Shango (or even 1995 WWF!). Like what is wrong with these weirdoes? These bizarre opinions literally blew my mind. Pretty sure I realized right then and there that I was never going to be the typical internet wrestling fan

Anyway, the lack of a proper Shango/Undertaker feud was a huge missed opportunity. That may have been my first ever dream feud. I recently stumbled upon the awesome idea that WWF should have paired Shango w/ Kamala as a proto-Dungeon of Doom feuding with Taker. Have Shango 'control' Kamala and have Kamala just kill dudes like how he did back in 86-87. Would have been waaaay better than stupid Harvey Whippleman and the inevitable feud with Kamala breaking free of Shango would have been fun sports entertainment, even if the matches would have sucked. Yeah, even young 1992 me realized Shango was no great shakes in the ring. I've never liked the shoulderbreaker as a finisher. Nor could I buy him as the '330 pounder' he was announced as.

He still ruled though and I wish we'd have gotten a Papa Shango comeback at some point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vaguely remember the Kamala storyline idea, and it would have been badass, honestly. The lack of Warrior/Shango conclusion on TV was a bummer. Though, I think they were supposed to fight at the SNME in November... I think.

The theme music and his overall look appealed to me, too. I dug the shoulder breaker finisher. He usually hit it nice on the jobbers, I thought.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True story, I had to leave a WWF event in 1992 when I was eight because the smoking skull stick thing that Shango had triggered my asthma that was really bad when I was a kid.

I think the Undertaker/Shango feud could have been gold and was defitnely a missed opportunity. I'm curious is there was any discussion of it happening. I also see a Shango/Doink feud happening in one way or another.

Banner Credit: Spike

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    True story, I had to leave a WWF event in 1992 when I was eight because the smoking skull stick thing that Shango had triggered my asthma that was really bad when I was a kid.

I think the Undertaker/Shango feud could have been gold and was defitnely a missed opportunity. I'm curious is there was any discussion of it happening. I also see a Shango/Doink feud happening in one way or another.
    Considering Charles Wright is good buddies with Undertaker, I wouldn't have been surprised if Undertaker pitched or at least pushed the idea. Their friendship is probably why they ended up working together in 1995, with Charles having Undertaker's dream MMA gimmick no less.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Was a huge fan. There was a few month stretch there where I was more into Shango than anything else in wrestling. He was unique. I ate up all the 'curses' Setting that jobber's boots on fire.....'cursing' the Warrior and even Mean Gene.....memorable stuff.

I was surprised when I got online in the late 90s and found out that people somehow didn't like Papa Shango (or even 1995 WWF!). Like what is wrong with these weirdoes? These bizarre opinions literally blew my mind. Pretty sure I realized right then and there that I was never going to be the typical internet wrestling fan

Anyway, the lack of a proper Shango/Undertaker feud was a huge missed opportunity. That may have been my first ever dream feud. I recently stumbled upon the awesome idea that WWF should have paired Shango w/ Kamala as a proto-Dungeon of Doom feuding with Taker. Have Shango 'control' Kamala and have Kamala just kill dudes like how he did back in 86-87. Would have been waaaay better than stupid Harvey Whippleman and the inevitable feud with Kamala breaking free of Shango would have been fun sports entertainment, even if the matches would have sucked. Yeah, even young 1992 me realized Shango was no great shakes in the ring. I've never liked the shoulderbreaker as a finisher. Nor could I buy him as the '330 pounder' he was announced as.

He still ruled though and I wish we'd have gotten a Papa Shango comeback at some point.
    That could've worked.

Quote Originally Posted by PI
    Considering Charles Wright is good buddies with Undertaker, I wouldn't have been surprised if Undertaker pitched or at least pushed the idea. Their friendship is probably why they ended up working together in 1995, with Charles having Undertaker's dream MMA gimmick no less.
    Didn't know they were friends.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    I thought that whole storyline of Kama melting down the urn and turning it into an epic rope chain was pretty cool.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    I thought that whole storyline of Kama melting down the urn and turning it into an epic rope chain was pretty cool.
    I see no reason to believe that the urn smelting wouldn't have been even cooler had it been Papa Shango's doing it instead. Just sayin'...

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That guy who watched and reviewed all the Bezerker matches needs to totally review all of Shangos matches.

Many hated him. But I was a fan. Had I been older I might have saw past the super cool look and Magickery and saw a joke and nonsensical promos. I'm feeling a small Shango binge might be coming on soon. I have to watch it through jaded eyes and see if the "magic" is still there.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember being pretty scared of Shango. He was a pretty creepy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about Papa Shango was that kayfabe wasn't completely dead yet for all the wrestling companies. However, that character was a kayfabe killer if there ever was one. Not too get too off subject, but it was the WWF that decided to kill kayfabe for the whole business. They were the first to declare publicly that it was all just entertainment to avoid paying some taxes and then they killed it even more with the MR. T's etc etc.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone think the Shango gimmick would have worked better in a Southern territory, or even WCW (they probably would have WrestleCrapped the shit out of it, given some of the other craziness they did in the early '90s)? Just watching a few clips of his work, it seems like audiences don't really "get" what he's meant to be, and don't really know what to make of it, and thus don't really give much of a reaction at all. I feel like it would have made a bit more sense to audiences that had a more localised connection or familiarity with that all that Haitian/Louisiana voodoo business. I know a lot of it was pretty silly, but I feel like it went over a lot of people's heads too, which caused it to fall flat.

Thread Information