Thread: RIP Chuck Berry

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RIP Chuck Berry

One of the founding fathers of rock & roll, is gone at 90 years old.

A member of the charter class of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Chuck Berry's influence is truly felt by everyone in the business, both past and present. Whether it's his showmanship, complete with his trademarked Duck Walk. Or his great library of hits, from "Maybelline" and "Johnny B. Goode," to "School Days" and "Roll Over Beethoven."

Or by defying the status quo, and help break a barrier in music for African Americans. His career has influenced other great African American rockers over the years, like Bo Diddley, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Living Colour, Lenny Kravitz, and Gary Clark, Jr.

The great John Lennon said it best. "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry."

What are your memories of Chuck Berry?
    Last edited by CM Punk'd; 03-19-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RIP Chuck Berry

to be honest i thought he was already dead

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We played the Hootenanny in CA many years ago, when most of you were in diapers (I wish I were kidding). We were hanging out in the parking lot near the buses talking with Jim Phantom, which was cool enough. My singer was leaning against a big Cadillac totally oblivious that he was actually doing this. After some time the driver gets out of the car asks him to stop leaning on the car, they had to leave. He apologized and stopped immediately. The backseat window goes down and Chuck Berry sticks his head out and says, "Thank you for moving your ass off my car." He smiled and they drove away.

Chuck Berry has influenced everything you've ever listened to in rock music, not just black artists. If you don't think so, you don't know shit. His skill, style, lyrics, showmanship and natural ability were on a level that few have ever reached. He has one of the saddest stories in music. He was discriminated, blackballed and basically had his career ended by those people that didn't agree with how he lived his life. He still played, because he loved his money, but his heart wasn't in it like it was early on. As great as he was, he could've been so much more...which is amazing when you think about what he was able to do. His career was basically a decade...that's when he was inspired and having fun. His only #1 hit was the fucking novelty song, My Ding-a Ling....such a tragedy.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith Richards told my favorite Chuck Berry story. Chuck left the backstage area to get paid, and Keith who was back there enjoying the show, was now alone with Chuck's guitar. Keith decided he was going to pick the guitar up, sneak in a couple chords, just so he could feel what it was like to play his hero's guitar. Chuck walked back into the room, saw Keith Richards touching his guitar, and immediately punched Keith in the face.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard in documentaries that he was a bit of dick. That seems to stick out to me. He was a bit obnoxious overall in his later life and demanding.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    I've heard in documentaries that he was a bit of dick. That seems to stick out to me. He was a bit obnoxious overall in his later life and demanding.
    A bit? He was one of the worst people in the music business. He never made the money he thought he deserved, never got the respect he wanted, his career was basically over due to his indiscretions, racism and various other things after about a decade. So, I get why he'd turnout that way, but it doesn't change his contribution to rock music.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R.I.P. to one of the founding fathers of Rock'n'Roll

Thread Information