Thread: 2017 NCAA Wrestling National Championships

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2017 NCAA Wrestling National Championships

NCAA Division I Wrestling National Championships is going down right now. This is a 3 day event with 10 different tournaments(weight classes: 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197, 285) with 32 wrestlers in each tournament. It started yesterday with a 7 hour mat marathon on ESPN, it carries on tonight with the semi finals, and tomorrow night at 8 Eastern on ESPN is all of the championship finals matches. These are really interesting to watch because usually these tournaments produce some great future MMA champions, from former NCAA tournament winners like Mark Coleman and Brock Lesnar to guys who fell short in the tourny(but went on to win UFC gold) like Chris Weidman and Daniel Cormier. I remember watching Ben Askren dominate the 2006 tournament and thinking he would be great at MMA, sure enough he's put together a 16-0 record and has won titles in Bellator and One FC.

The main draw for this year's tourny is heavyweight Kyle Snyder. Snyder won the Division I title last year and went on to win the gold medal in Rio last Summer. This is the first time that a wrestler has returned to the NCAA tournament after winning the gold medal in the Olympics. Snyder won his first 3 matches in the tournament to advance to the semi-finals, which is about to go down here in a few minutes actually, he's set to take on Jacob Kasper from Duke. I caught one of his matches yesterday and dude is a beast, he's smaller than a lot of the guys in the tourny at 220 pounds(limit for his division is 285), really impressive. I believe he's actually injured from his last match so this should be interesting.

^Kyle Snyder

Anybody keeping up with this post about it in this thread. I've been watching I'll post some thoughts here in a bit. One of the best things I've seen was just now where Bo Nickal just threw Sammy Brooks and pinned him in about a minute flat in the 184 pound semis, it was pretty intense.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-17-2017 at 11:07 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2017 NCAA Wrestling National Championships

Snyder dominates in the finals to win back to back Division I titles. His opponent was 264, Snyder weighed in at 226, he hooked a single early and overpowered the dude to lift him up and slam him, what an awesome moment, awesome athlete, still got 1 year of college left then hopefully he gets into MMA, could be a great heavyweight I think.

Overall some pretty good presentation for this event by ESPN, I enjoyed watching it here and there over the past 3 days.

Thread Information