Thread: WCW Worldwide 2000: The Forgotten Show

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WCW Worldwide 2000: The Forgotten Show

I decided to look at WCW Worldwide circa 2000, which throughout the year has some interesting matches. This is part one of the series. It's oddly fun to watch forgotten matches, and they're actually...entertaining.. for the most part. I hope you guys/gals find the series to be entertaining.

There will be several parts and will be contained to one thread here. Thanks! Feedback and suggestions are welcomed!

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...show-part-one/

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WCW Worldwide 2000: The Forgotten Show

Something about those WCW c shows appeals to me and I don't really know why, always had a thing for WCW Saturday Night. I have the full 1998 set of Nitros, Thunders, Saturday Nights, and PPV's, I'll pop in a random episode of Saturday Night in every once in a while. Also used to dig Worldwide around 98, I'd like to pick up that set on DVD just to complete the collection. I didn't know that show was still running in 2000. It used to come on Saturday night at like midnight here where I live, I think it was just 30 minutes, you'd get like 1 or 2 matches with a bunch of recaps of Thunder and Nitro. It's cool that you are posting these, I'll check them out.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen of it, Worldwide in 2000 was a pretty good show. Both Scott Hudson and Mike Tenay do a good job recapping the past weeks Nitro and Thunder, and both had fun with it. While he was kind of misused in TNA, Tenay was a pretty knowledgeable guy about wrestling, and could be great on commentary.

Hudson was also pretty underrated in his abilities to call matches. He gave a pretty good presence on GWF's commentary as well. I remember hearing a shoot interview from him about having a tryout with WWE, and that Vince wanted to hire him, but Hudson had to turn down the offer, as it would have required him moving from Atlanta to Stamford, and taking a pay cut from his job he had (a job he was working regularly while still working for WCW).

Like Nobi, I always enjoyed the C shows from WCW, sometimes more than Nitro or Thunder of that week. They would show talent from the Power Plant and some indie guys as well, which was fun. It especially worked in WCW, where they would emphasize the sport aspects of wrestling, so it was a show that wasn't going to focus on storylines all the time, but rather show it of like a sport, which was refreshing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    From what I've seen of it, Worldwide in 2000 was a pretty good show. Both Scott Hudson and Mike Tenay do a good job recapping the past weeks Nitro and Thunder, and both had fun with it. While he was kind of misused in TNA, Tenay was a pretty knowledgeable guy about wrestling, and could be great on commentary.

Hudson was also pretty underrated in his abilities to call matches. He gave a pretty good presence on GWF's commentary as well. I remember hearing a shoot interview from him about having a tryout with WWE, and that Vince wanted to hire him, but Hudson had to turn down the offer, as it would have required him moving from Atlanta to Stamford, and taking a pay cut from his job he had (a job he was working regularly while still working for WCW).

Like Nobi, I always enjoyed the C shows from WCW, sometimes more than Nitro or Thunder of that week. They would show talent from the Power Plant and some indie guys as well, which was fun. It especially worked in WCW, where they would emphasize the sport aspects of wrestling, so it was a show that wasn't going to focus on storylines all the time, but rather show it of like a sport, which was refreshing.
    That's a main reason that I'm checking these out. I enjoy seeing the Power Plant guys and random indy guys, too. The action is actually far better than what was aired on Nitro and/or Thunder. It's just wrestling. It's a well produced show, too.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the show where Robbie Rage would wrestle? I used to fucking love me some Robbie Rage. He was the inspiration for lots of my early CAWs in WM2000.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

You're talking to god! CarlitoCool9111's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy Hart booked WCW Saturday Night and did a good job overall.
    Austin Aries> CM Punk

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    Is this the show where Robbie Rage would wrestle? I used to fucking love me some Robbie Rage. He was the inspiration for lots of my early CAWs in WM2000.
    Robbie Rage does compete. He's not on my list of matches, but what the hell, I can add him on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God I hated Norman Smiley in WCW.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    The whole run or just the hardcore run? I personally enjoyed the screaming gimmick. For its stupidity.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    The whole run or just the hardcore run? I personally enjoyed the screaming gimmick. For its stupidity.
    The whole run. One of those channel changers for me. I was surprised to find out recently that he's actually regarded as an ace technical shoot style wrestler, I'll always remember him for pretending to fuck his opponents up the ass during his matches. He'd probably be crazy over today in WWE.

Banned

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's because a lot of the technical stuff was what he did pre-Big Wiggle in WCW and pre-WCW in general.

www.houghtonrats.org.uk MonsooN's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed WCW Worldwide. At one point from the summer to 1999 to early 2000, it was the only wrestling broadcast available on terrestrial TV in the UK.

As Leper Messiah has already commented, Scott hudson was a very able commentator and I thought he had a good rapport with both Larry Zbyszko and Armando Quintero. Hidson was the play by play guy and Zbyszko and Quintero were the heel commentators. In fact, I'm sure Quintero made himself the official commentator of the nWo 2000 when they had their short run.

The quality of the matches was generally good - especially the cruiser weights such as Psicosis, Juventud Gurrera, Shane Helms, Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio. The up and comers and the big stars. For me, it was essential viewing every week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MonsooN View Post
    I enjoyed WCW Worldwide. At one point from the summer to 1999 to early 2000, it was the only wrestling broadcast available on terrestrial TV in the UK.

As Leper Messiah has already commented, Scott hudson was a very able commentator and I thought he had a good rapport with both Larry Zbyszko and Armando Quintero. Hidson was the play by play guy and Zbyszko and Quintero were the heel commentators. In fact, I'm sure Quintero made himself the official commentator of the nWo 2000 when they had their short run.

The quality of the matches was generally good - especially the cruiser weights such as Psicosis, Juventud Gurrera, Shane Helms, Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio. The up and comers and the big stars. For me, it was essential viewing every week.
    I'm finding a better appreciation for guys like La Parka in WCW. They are given time and deliver solid matches. Worldwide was probably their best show in 2000.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part three has been updated! Features Chris Candido, Curt Hennig, Madusa and Sonny Siaki.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...ow-part-three/
    Last edited by WrestlingRecap; 03-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I liked Norman. Something cheesy about the big wiggle taunt that fit a tiny little shooter. The hardcore stuff was bad, but most of what Russo did was bad.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part four has been updated. This features a match between Christopher Daniels and Chris Candido that should have gotten Daniels a contract.

Also, Juventud Guerrera, Shane Douglas, Chris Harris, Crowbar and Mike Sanders appear.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...how-part-four/

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool series. I had no idea so many future TNA guys like Harris, Storm, Siaki & even Cassidy O'Reilly were Worldwide regulars.

Poor Christopher Daniels. Rumored to be signed by one of the Big 3 pretty much every week. Killed it on TV against Taka and apparently Candido. Yet could never land that big contract. Sad.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/04/...how-part-five/

Matches involving Crowbar, Alan Funk, Mike Sanders, Mark Jindrak, Sean O'Haire and Three Count!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/04/...show-part-six/

The sixth installment of the series features Billy Kidman, Elix Skipper, Buff Bagwell, Disco Inferno, Rey Mysterio Jr. and The Great Muta.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Cool series. I had no idea so many future TNA guys like Harris, Storm, Siaki & even Cassidy O'Reilly were Worldwide regulars.

Poor Christopher Daniels. Rumored to be signed by one of the Big 3 pretty much every week. Killed it on TV against Taka and apparently Candido. Yet could never land that big contract. Sad.
    Wack indeed! Isn't he still in the indies?

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, I think Daniels was already too old, too small and generally didn't have a great look pre-ROH/TNA.

You're talking to god! CarlitoCool9111's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nath45 View Post
    Sadly, I think Daniels was already too old, too small and generally didn't have a great look pre-ROH/TNA.
    Looking like a turtle without it's shell didn't help Daniels, I imagine.
    Austin Aries> CM Punk

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlitoCool9111
    Looking like a turtle without it's shell didn't help Daniels, I imagine.
    A turtle without its shell...

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WCW Worldwide 2000: The Forgotten Show Part Seven

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/05/...ow-part-seven/

Featuring Elix Skipper, Rey Jr., Chris Harris, and Big Vito!

Thread Information