Thread: John Cena is inducting Kurt Angle into the HOF

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default John Cena is inducting Kurt Angle into the HOF

John Cena to induct Kurt Angle into the WWE Hall of Fame

John Cena will have the honor of inducting Kurt Angle – his very first opponent in WWE – into the WWE Hall of Fame during the 2017 Induction Ceremony on Friday, March 31, airing live on WWE Network.

Cena was a long way from becoming a 16-time World Champion on June 27, 2002 when he accepted the Olympic Gold Medalist’s open challenge, believing he had the “ruthless aggression” to defeat Angle before striking him. Though he did not earn the victory, Cena established himself as a force to be reckoned with in WWE.

Angle and Cena would remain rivals throughout the latter’s rise to Superstardom, even battling over the WWE Championship in 2005. Now, Cena will present Angle to the WWE Universe for the first time in more than a decade – and officially as a WWE Hall of Famer.

What will Cena have to say when he inducts one of his greatest rivals into sports-entertainment history? Find out during the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Friday, March 31 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT, live on the award-winning WWE Network!
    I'm trying very hard to be objective about this and I'll try my best to avoid posting my personal opinion about this. But one of the "greatest" wrestlers and performers in WWE history, the WWE's top star of the past 10 years ..the legendary John Cena has been assigned to induct Kurt Angle into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

Early on in Kurt Angle's WWE career, him and Cena feuded quite a bit and they had a couple of matches (I don't remember how many exactly).

On the bright side, I'm very excited that Angle is being inducted in general and I really hope he's given ample time to talk about some stories of his career. I really hope Vince doesn't forbid him from talking about TNA, but who we are kidding?

Personally, I was hoping it would either be Steve Austin or The Rock. But whatever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: John Cena is inducting Kurt Angle into the HOF

I did not see this coming. I thought it would have been Austin, Rock, HBK or Brock.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume it would be Cena or Brock and since Brock is kinda antisocial. Cena makes sense.
    Last edited by X-zero; 03-16-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cena's first match in the WWE was with Kurt Angle. So this doesn't surprise me.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This feels surprising, but then again, there isn't an obvious person to induct Kurt. I'm sure he has many friends but he's not known for being especially close with a particular wrestler. If I had to put a name into a hat, it would have been Steve Austin, but Cena is fine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before Edge, Kurt Angle was Cena's biggest rival. He was Cena's biggest roadblock for every time he ever tried to make it up that hill. from 02-04 Cena (i don't think) never got a legit feud ending win over the guy. Then in 05 it changed in Cena's favor. They always had great chemistry. And Angle was probably a guy that helped mold Cena into a main eventer with all of their bouts and time spent together backstage because of it. Cena would probably consider him in a way his teacher for becoming the main eventer he is today, or whatever he'll spin his intro speech.

The other options would have been The Rock, Lesnar (you can see why they wouldn't do that for kayfabe reasons in not wanting him to get cheered over Goldberg), Stone Cold, Triple H (same reason as Lesnar for why they wouldn't choose him), or one of the McMahons.
    Candice Larae, Bea Priestley, Nixon Newell, and Tessa Blanchard tribute
    Finn Balor is the future of the WWE
    Siera, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta - Forever
    Cena fan for LIFE
    Did you know, without lifts, Ambrose is taller than Reigns by an inch?

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cena is a sound choice. They certainly had plenty of history together working on and off from Cena's debut up until Angle's departure in 06. Cena is great in this position and I expect him to do a good job.

The thing with Angle is that he worked with so many different acts he could have been inducted by a host of people. Whether it was Stephanie, Jericho, Edge, Christian, Triple H, The Rock, Foley, The Undertaker, Austin, Shane, Brock, Booker, AJ etc. they all would have made sense. However I expect that Cena ticked all the boxes for the WWE and I'm sure that Angle is non-plussed by the whole situation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's a great selection! The stuff with Angle WAS THE HINT that WWE saw something special with Cena. It included the matches of course BUT ALSO Taker's stamp of approval afterwards. Given that Cena is WWE's Golden Boy of the last decade, it makes sense for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bizil View Post
    For me, it's a great selection! The stuff with Angle WAS THE HINT that WWE saw something special with Cena. It included the matches of course BUT ALSO Taker's stamp of approval afterwards. Given that Cena is WWE's Golden Boy of the last decade, it makes sense for me.
    Actually, if Jericho is to be believed, Vince didn't see much of anything in Cena until he adopted the white rapper gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cena is a fine choice. I was hoping it would be Austin, but I totally see why they chose John.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Angle himself has stated he wants Austin to induct him..

This sucks...

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    I'm trying very hard to be objective about this and I'll try my best to avoid posting my personal opinion about this. But one of the "greatest" wrestlers and performers in WWE history, the WWE's top star of the past 10 years ..the legendary John Cena has been assigned to induct Kurt Angle into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

Early on in Kurt Angle's WWE career, him and Cena feuded quite a bit and they had a couple of matches (I don't remember how many exactly).

On the bright side, I'm very excited that Angle is being inducted in general and I really hope he's given ample time to talk about some stories of his career. I really hope Vince doesn't forbid him from talking about TNA, but who we are kidding?

Personally, I was hoping it would either be Steve Austin or The Rock. But whatever.

The way that press release is written is disgusting. It's all about Cena. Angle comes off as secondary. It's as if Angle is an accessory to the great, mighty, legendary John Cena. Oh, and no way was there some great rivalry between Angle and Cena. WWE trying to over-inflate Cena's career.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Actually, if Jericho is to be believed, Vince didn't see much of anything in Cena until he adopted the white rapper gimmick.
    I heard that too. From a viewer's perspective, it seemed like they were trying to give him some major rub with his interaction with Angle and Taker when he debuted. But no doubt the white rapper gimmick is what MADE HIM in Vince's eyes the future #1 guy in the company. Even when Cena first debuted, I didn't see him as the future of the company. Once Thuganomics started hitting its stride, I could see he was headed for the top. He had the look Vince loved, was over huge with the fans, and was great on the stick. And had the IT factor to justify being the eventual golden child.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BestInThe205 View Post
    Cena is a fine choice. I was hoping it would be Austin, but I totally see why they chose John.
    So they can keep shoving him down people's throats. He's a terrible choice. It should have been Austin. Hell, Edge had more of a feud with Angle than Cena did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great choice.

Angle wanted either Austin, Lesnar, or Cena. Austin was the first choice but Cena is a great second choice and he will honor Angle the way Angle deserves to be honored.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austin would've been the best choice for my own enjoyment, but I can see why they went for Cena. Many of the younger fans that started watching in the last few years might not know much about Angle and therefore not care too much. Linking Angle to Cena gives an easy hook for those young fans. They could be more likely to want to see more of this guy, subscribe to the Network, buy a potential DVD release and buy his merch.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    The way that press release is written is disgusting. It's all about Cena. Angle comes off as secondary. It's as if Angle is an accessory to the great, mighty, legendary John Cena. Oh, and no way was there some great rivalry between Angle and Cena. WWE trying to over-inflate Cena's career.
    Well, this is the announcement that Cena is inducting him. We have already had the announcement that Angle is being inducted. If both were happening at the same time, then I would agree with your point that it was putting Angle as secondary.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. And something else that is kind of interesting is that they've never done this type of promotion for someone in Cena's role before either. Look at everyone that kind of headlined the Hall of Fame each year; Steve Austin for Jim Ross and Bret Hart, Vince Mcmahon for Steve Austin, Christian and Edge; Austin, Mcmahon, Christian, etc ..and everyone else basically. The WWE never dedicated an entire ad to any of those guys. They simply said that "wrestler X or wrestler Y will be inducting him/her this year" as apart of the ongoing announcements online when they progressed closer to the Hall of Fame event date.

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Cena's first match in the WWE was with Kurt Angle. So this doesn't surprise me.
    That's a bit of a silly reason. If anything, that should be reason for Kurt to induct Cena into the HOF, and not the other way around
    Fuck The Revival!

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patrick94 View Post
    That's a bit of a silly reason. If anything, that should be reason for Kurt to induct Cena into the HOF, and not the other way around
    But then Vince McMahon will of course do that honor.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they can keep shoving him down people's throats. He's a terrible choice. It should have been Austin. Hell, Edge had more of a feud with Angle than Cena did.
    Cena debuted against Angle in a classic moment.

Cena feuded with Angle for a while in 2004.

Cena's face turn was because Kurt Angle picked him to help him stop Team Lesnar.

Kurt and Cena had a lentghy feud in 2005 during Cena's first WWE Title run.

But no, let's shit on Cena. How dare they not ask Austin even though they probably did and he could have turned it down due to being busy that weekend.

Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another crazy reason for a run of the Cena hate train. It's not like Kurt is being inducted by someone he hates or has absolutely zero history with.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    But Angle himself has stated he wants Austin to induct him..

This sucks...
    It's just an introduction. Angle is getting in the HOF that's all that should matter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angle himself said he wants either of the Stone Cold, Lesner or Cena induct him, so I dont know why some of you girls are crying.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad choice! Cena was a main rival of Angle early on plus he was reportedly of the man's choices by his own words. Didn't even look at the press release though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, people wanting Lesnar or Austin are missing key things about each person.

Lesnar is massively antisocial, and not the best public speaker when given a live mic to begin with. Look at his UFC promos.

Austin doesn't like coming to WWE unless it's for an interview with someone or they have a decent segment for him. With that in mind, he probably had other business that weekend and chose to pass on the induction.

Also, there's several other solid candidates that could have done the honors. AJ, Samoa Joe, Booker T and Sting. The issue there, is they'd be inducting him based on their history in a company WWE refuses to talk about.

Cena is a good choice, this is hardly a reason to run an episode of "Cena Ruins Everything", not that half of you need an excuse to whine about him.

Thread Information