Thread: Has your opinion of past WrestleManias changed over the years?

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Has your opinion of past WrestleManias changed over the years?

The first WrestleMania I ever saw, was WrestleMania IX. I was eight years old, and I was about eight months into being a wrestling fan. And the site of seeing it being held outdoors, in a coliseum, with everyone in togas, made it look really special in my eyes. I watched all the matches, and then saw the surprise at the end of Hulk Hogan winning the WWF title over Yokozuna in an impromptu match. Being a kid at the time, I thought it was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

One year later, WrestleMania X at Madison Square Garden. I saw better matches (especially Bret vs. Owen), better characters, and a much better wrestling show. Way better than IX.

That Christmas, my parents got me WrestleMania III on video from a local video store. THIS was a spectacle. And what a show. I had that tape in my VCR for years and years. That pushed IX even lower down the ladder.

Then before you know it, by the time I was 17, I owned the WrestleMania Legacy VCR box set, and owned the first two WrestleMania DVDs. And now, thanks to WWE Network, I have seen every single WrestleMania to date, right up to last year in Dallas.

And after seeing them all again, my original opinion of WrestleMania IX has changed dramatically. While it was a great sight, it was not a great show. Especially when you find out about the stories about the politics of the business. Out of the 32, I'd place it in 26th place. Still better than 1, 2, 5, 11, 15, and 27.

What was your opinions of the WrestleMania you've seen? What were they then, and what are they now?

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Has your opinion of past WrestleManias changed over the years?

Yeah, mostly at the time in the excitement of the moment i overestimated the quality. This is doubly so when i was a kid. So like VI was shit despite i was psyched, because i couldn't look past Warrior-Hogan, and evidently neither could the company. It's routinely bombed overall with the other matches just a placeholder for the main event.

12 was similarly lousy overall, hence the 1hr match, which itself was extremely well done, but like anything so drawn out in the smart phone era, hard to watch now

Probably 10 is the one that's grown on me over the years, as Hogan's absence was hard to take and i hadn't yet decided he held back everyone who was far more talented. Then like you say, i've learned about Hogan's gag worthy influences like at 9 (which i still think overall was decent, because it was only the very end of the show), it's just as well he wasn't throwing his weight around yet again at 10 with another lousy one on one match with Yoko

20 was flat out terrible and my opinion of that has never changed. From the suit and tie crowd and the cops on the 'playing field', to the Lesnar-Goldberg reeled in match, to the Rock being noticeably out of shape even in a tag match

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in the past, WM's were about the main event rather than "stacking the card" with great content. I think today they do truly try to have multi-main event calibre matches and multiple quality matches. Sometimes a WM just need 2-4 great matches to be considered a success. So I feel they've improved on that by attempting to have 3-4 main event quality matches. As opposed to ONE Clash of the Titan's type of Hogan/Warrior match to rid the entire event on.

WM10 is one I enjoyed. It didn't hurt that it began with a bang and ended will a feel good at the time. Then in between you had a show stealer with HBK/Ramon, the interest of having two world title matches (Luger/Yoko and then the winner vs Bret). It spaced out some decent elements.

WM11 was horrible and tried to depend on celeb power to make it feel like an event. WM12 I think began the concept of a couple of BIG matches, but ultimately the event fell flat outside of a surprisingly well paced iron man match. WM13 overall was flat with one show stealer, however I think WM13 showed that more of the card needs the intensity of a Bret/Austin feud. WM14 I think accomplished that by having a couple more interesting matches outside of the main event. Taker/Kan was obviously hot at this time. I think WM 14-16 they were trying to find their way to making it feel like a larger than life event rather than just WWF RAW+. WM17 I think is where it hit its stride as feeling like THE EVENT you had to watch. They put more into the set design and focused on the overall presentation of the event and caring about packing large arenas. Now ever WM after that wasn't great, but for the most part they began feeling like the biggest event of the year rather than an enhanced PPV.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger WrestleMania 15 was the greatest show of all time, we recorded it and watched the tape all the time. Now (although I still find it entertaining), it isn't is probably in the bottom 10 WrestleMania's of all time. It is a WrestleMania for its time, you watch that WrestleMania and it completely sums up that particular period in wrestling, it is very much a great and longer episode of Raw with a great main event.

I wouldn't say my opinion has changed on many others, the ones I don't rate too much now I didn't rate too highly at the time either and the ones I rate highly now I loved at the time. I look back on WrestleMania 22 and probably think it is better now than at the time, great show which I feel is very underrated.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only one in recent memory that changed after I watched the show was Wrestlemania 31. I left my friend's viewing party on a high because of how the show ended but after sleeping on it I realized I was either bored or pissed off with the rest of the show.

-The nWo helping Sting made no sense. My immediate reaction was "NWO VS DX OMG" but rationality kicked in and I just felt confused when it was over.
    -I was holding out hope that after resurrecting The Undertaker, the New Face of Fear Bray Wyatt would get a shocking win and The Undertaker would start a new streak...nope.
    -I honestly can't remember the rest of the show other than the main event.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    The only one in recent memory that changed after I watched the show was Wrestlemania 31. I left my friend's viewing party on a high because of how the show ended but after sleeping on it I realized I was either bored or pissed off with the rest of the show.

-The nWo helping Sting made no sense. My immediate reaction was "NWO VS DX OMG" but rationality kicked in and I just felt confused when it was over.
    -I was holding out hope that after resurrecting The Undertaker, the New Face of Fear Bray Wyatt would get a shocking win and The Undertaker would start a new streak...nope.
    -I honestly can't remember the rest of the show other than the main event.
    I watched 31 yesterday and I think it's the best overall Wrestlemania since probably 24.

The opening ladder match was tons of fun, Luke Harper, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan were highlights. Daniel Bryan winning got a huge pop and yes chant, and was a great way to start the show.

Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins is likely a forgotten but fantastic match with lots of near falls and an amazing finish, curb stomp into RKO.

I skipped Sting vs HHH as I wasn't huge on it when I first watched it, but remembered the nWo and DX reunions being pretty fun for what they were.

I also skipped the women's match, but remembered it as being one of the better women's matches at Wrestlemania at the time. This will change in the future with the debut of three of the Four Horsewomen months later, leading to a stronger women's division.

Rock, Rousey, Triple H and Stephanie McMahon had a great segment at some point around here, and while I'm not a fan of long talking segments on PPV, this was really well done.

Cena/Rusev had a good match with an incredible entrance by Rusev coming to the ring in a tank. This was the high point of Rusev's career, it's all downhill from here with him becoming more and more of a comedy character over the years.

I wasn't too big on Wyatt and Undertaker at the time, but it was really enjoyable on a rewatch. It's nowhere near one of the best Mania matches ever, but I'd encourage anyone who wasn't a fan the first time around to give it a rewatch. At one point, Wyatt throws himself over the ring steps just to attack Undertaker's arm resting over the ring post!

Lesnar/Reigns was match of the night and seems to get better and better the more I watch it. Rollins cashing in at the end was the best way to end the show, and a perfect response to Reigns's negatively received main event push.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WrestleMania 13.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    WrestleMania 13.
    Was it good, then soured? Or the other way around?

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Was it good, then soured? Or the other way around?
    Sory, A little super drunk. It used to be much more sour. Now I kinda love it. Dunno whether to blame revisionist history burnout or SOmething To Wrestle With {Brush Prichard}./... or my Sid love, but I dig WM13 now.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Wrestlemania was WM5, its was also my first wwe ppv that I saw, at the time i watching i knew very little of the background of the match but it had the feel of a special event, but its doesn't compare to what it is today, it more of an occassion, its just not one event or more of a week of wrestlemania, with the event in the area, as well as the Hall of fame , NXT and wrestlemania it makes it the must see weekend of the year

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen them all as they happened, and like the business, there are peaks and valleys. One of my favorites was IV because the Internet was in its infancy back then so the so called 'smarks' could not ruin it for you, and no one (regardless of what they say then or even now) knew who was taking it all.
    "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!": Ancient Klingon Proverb.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    Sory, A little super drunk. It used to be much more sour. Now I kinda love it. Dunno whether to blame revisionist history burnout or SOmething To Wrestle With {Brush Prichard}./... or my Sid love, but I dig WM13 now.
    I've always loved Wrestlemania 13 and was surprised to see it regarded as one of the bottom tier Mania's. Was much better than the four Mania's before it, had such an ECW vibe about it too, and Taker hoisting the strap in the finale after being screwed over and robbed in so many title matches, it's one of my favorite moments ever(see my signature).

My opinion of Mania 9 has changed. I used to hate it, especially the finish where Bret loses the strap and then Hogan comes out to win it back. Watching it now I kinda like the show if only for the atmosphere, Taker vs Giant Gonzalez is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I kinda think the whole Bre-Yoko-Hogan finish is pretty cool now.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

Thread Information