Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undertaker vs John Cena - Vince Isn't Interestesd

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Undertaker vs John Cena - Vince Isn't Interestesd

This seems like the match of the decade to most WWE fans and viewers, young and old.

Vince hasn't pulled the trigger yet, and he probably doesn't care at all about this "dream match". It would have happened aleady, if he had any interest in the match at all.

It just seems like one of those matches that could generate record numbers of revenue and profit for the WWE.

Why hasn't Vince pulled the trigger on this? Is he out of touch with his own audience? Does the audience even want to see this match?
    Last edited by mx518; 03-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Undertaker vs John Cena - Vince Isn't Interestesd

I just think that while this could still happen at wm 34. vince preoccupied with getting reigns over and being the face of the company, he knows cena is on the way out and is more concerned with the future at this point

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also didn't seem to want to do Undertaker vs. Sting which everyone wanted as well. If Undertaker has a limit of amount of time left in the ring might as well use it to make someone newer look good since Undertaker and Cena's legacys are already amazing enough.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

The Doctor

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undertaker/Sting should've happened straight away, if not then Sting should've won at mania against HHH. If Sting wasn't injured in his Rollins match then who knows? Maybe we woulda gotten Taker/Sting at a mania
    When fans boo Reigns, the Rock will save him
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if....

Cena screws Taker and Reigns goes over.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Vince asked Cena this year. But Cena said no just so he could share his moment with Nikki.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John Cena is old news. While he's revisiting one of the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time against The Miz, John Cena version 2.0 is taking centre stage against The Undertaker.

When the streak ended Cena vs Taker lost a huge amount of appeal. Nevertheless, it still would have been better than Bray vs Taker and probably better than Reigns vs Taker. At this point in time, though, Reigns benefits more from it than Cena would.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real dream match was Taker vs Sting, and he didn't give a shit about that. It's no longer about great matchups but rather, promotion. And Sting, Taker, and Cena were already "over"

Reigns however is designed to be the next Cena (until he demands a raise, at which point according to Rhino they'll just replace him), love him or hate him, he gets some reaction and he'll get even more after he retires a legend. How does it benefit Vince for a part timer Cena, who long ago reached that point, to do the deed instead? MAYBE he could use this matchup to carry a lesser PPV or Raw, if Taker has anything left. That's a big reason the lesser PPVs often have better matches

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriofan View Post
    Undertaker/Sting should've happened straight away, if not then Sting should've won at mania against HHH. If Sting wasn't injured in his Rollins match then who knows? Maybe we woulda gotten Taker/Sting at a mania
    But that's not how they think any more. Why waste two extremely over guys on a single match when you can spread them out, or ideally put over someone younger? And if you're a Mcmahon/HHH and can take away a regular's big payday by inserting yourself in the match, even better!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    He also didn't seem to want to do Undertaker vs. Sting which everyone wanted as well. If Undertaker has a limit of amount of time left in the ring might as well use it to make someone newer look good since Undertaker and Cena's legacys are already amazing enough.
    Which is a big reason i'll be moving on from wrestling, or at least WWE. As a fan, i don't give a crap about putting new guys who may or may not stick around over. I care about the matches and in this case, giving Taker a more fitting retirement opponent

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steellord123 View Post
    The real dream match was Taker vs Sting, and he didn't give a shit about that. It's no longer about great matchups but rather, promotion. And Sting, Taker, and Cena were already "over"

Reigns however is designed to be the next Cena (until he demands a raise, at which point according to Rhino they'll just replace him), love him or hate him, he gets some reaction and he'll get even more after he retires a legend. How does it benefit Vince for a part timer Cena, who long ago reached that point, to do the deed instead? MAYBE he could use this matchup to carry a lesser PPV or Raw, if Taker has anything left. That's a big reason the lesser PPVs often have better matches
    I'm actually a big fan of Roman and I am looking forward to Reigns vs Taker at Mania. And honestly, I really am rooting for Roman and I hope Roman kicks Takers ass.

But as far as money, promotion, buyrates, mainstream appeal - Undertaker is about the most mainstream legend that is still active on the roster. John Cena is easily one of the most mainstream wrestlers of all time. Everyone, both casual and hardcore fans know who both of these guys are.

It's arguable that Undertaker is more well known than Steve Austin even is. Most people that haven't ever even watched wrestling more than a handful of times, know who Undertaker is.

It has everything needed to set monstrous financial and statistic records.

Maybe they'll book Cena and Taker for Summerslam or something. I'd be down with that main event.

The Doctor

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steellord123 View Post
    But that's not how they think any more. Why waste two extremely over guys on a single match when you can spread them out, or ideally put over someone younger? And if you're a Mcmahon/HHH and can take away a regular's big payday by inserting yourself in the match, even better!
    Wish Sting had won that match, terrible idea having Sting lose in his debut WWE match
    When fans boo Reigns, the Rock will save him
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would want to see Undertaker vs Cena when we can have Cena and his gf vs Miz and his wife?

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cena vs. 'Taker would shatter the record in spamming finisher kickouts. They'd start by planning six, and maybe go up to eight.

r.i.p. dogs playing poker

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriofan View Post
    Wish Sting had won that match, terrible idea having Sting lose in his debut WWE match
    It's really amazing how long he stayed on top with the fans at many turns in his career. Hogan did everything possible to bury him, having Sting sit at ringside during one Starrcade and then carrying the match and the nonsense ending in '98 despite the "crow" character was so over. Then even after HHH pissed on him in his 50s, and after being off mainstream wrestling so long, he still managed to main event a title match

At the time Sting signed with WWE, i even came across random vids on youtube of kids who weren't even born when Sting was last in a huge promotion saying they couldn't wait for Taker-Sting. Don't think i'll forgive HHH (and to a lesser extrent Reigns) for depriving us all of that

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Cena vs. 'Taker would shatter the record in spamming finisher kickouts. They'd start by planning six, and maybe go up to eight.
    yeah and in the process render both finishers impotent. Not that it seems Taker will be needing it much longer...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    I'm actually a big fan of Roman and I am looking forward to Reigns vs Taker at Mania. And honestly, I really am rooting for Roman and I hope Roman kicks Takers ass.

But as far as money, promotion, buyrates, mainstream appeal - Undertaker is about the most mainstream legend that is still active on the roster. John Cena is easily one of the most mainstream wrestlers of all time. Everyone, both casual and hardcore fans know who both of these guys are.

It's arguable that Undertaker is more well known than Steve Austin even is. Most people that haven't ever even watched wrestling more than a handful of times, know who Undertaker is.

It has everything needed to set monstrous financial and statistic records.

Maybe they'll book Cena and Taker for Summerslam or something. I'd be down with that main event.
    It could be a decent match. My main reservation is does Reigns really deserve to retire this legend? Yeah, i know, in wrestling a lot of them just fade away or go out injured, but Taker has consistently made it a point to return for Mania for a decade, and i just think a veteran should do the deed and more veterans should've been his opponent the past 10 years. Of course, if it's not his last match then whatever

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot take.

WWE is too afraid to book the match, and Vince is craven over deciding which one he would've put over.

There really wouldn't have been a bigger match with bigger implications and more confusion as to who would win between John Cena or the Undertaker, title vs. streak.

And WWE didn't do it. Make excuses. "Undertaker is an attraction. John Cena's made. Give it to a guy who needs the rub. Both guys can be used in other matches to fill out a card."

Lame sauce. If Wrestlemania is about having the biggest show and generating the most revenue with the biggest names, the only reason this match didn't happen is because Vince McMahon was afraid to book it.

He didn't want to have John Cena go over the Undertaker to a chorus of boos when Cena was still the unquestioned #1 babyface in the company, because it'd be a referendum on his own booking decisions. He wasn't ready to ask Undertaker to give up the streak yet, knowing full well Taker probably wouldn't have any problem doing business, because Taker's no fool, and a marquis match like that would've been absurd amounts of money. And despite what some crazy irrational Cena haters might believe, John Cena isn't this ultra-conniving politician, and probably wouldn't have had any problem putting Undertaker over.

It all comes down to Vince McMahon either not having anyone with enough spine to tell him to book the match, or Vince himself being too gunshy to do it.

Weak sauce on WWE's part for never making this match a Wrestlemania main event. Utterly pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Djm just reading my mind over here. Really nothing to add to that. It's the only answer, it has to be.

Wrestlemania 29 should have been John Cena vs The Undertaker, title vs streak. Instead we got Once/Twice in a Lifetime and it sucked ass.

Wrestlemania 30. I like the ending we got, but if the WWE wanted title vs streak they could have obviously done it.

I'm only saying "title vs streak" because Cena needs something to lose. Career vs streak doesn't really work because Cena retiring just wouldn't be believable.

So let's say 30 goes the way it did with Lesnar ending the streak so he can eventually retire Goldberg and lose to Roman Reigns, and D-Bry still gets his Wrestlemania moment. Jump to 31. What we got was total bullshit.

Bray Wyatt "resurrects" The Undertaker so Undertaker can win a meaningless match. Why? Neither man benefited from it. Bray Wyatt gets to fight The Undertaker. Ooooo, yay for him.

Why not have Sting be the guy to call Undertaker back from the dead? Why not have Cena lure The Undertaker back by saying "there's only one guy I want to fight at Wrestlemania and I'm willing to put my title/career on the line to make it happen."

They could have done it at 32 too! Undertaker fought SHANE MCMAHON and the stipulation literally meant nothing!

Nah, man. Nah. The WWE/Vince was too scared and now it's too late.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other hot take: With the streak done, the match is now irrelevant.

Taker isn't around full-time to set up a feud, which was why most of his last Manias have been I WILL BE THE ONE TO FINALLY BEAT THE DEADMAN. This last one was set up only because he showed up when Strowman called out Reigns and Undertaker showed up like he was R-Truth or something.

The only real appeal was, can Cena beat the streak. Now that it's done let Undertaker retire.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Mark just wants to work with someone less physical in his last match so he don't end up in the hospital like he did with HHH and Lesnar. Roman wrestles those similar style of matches to where romans only physical move is the spear.

Also Romans idol is Bret Hart actually which is why he has a more technical style of wrestling. Wouldn't it make since for Roman to wrestle like his idol? Maybe Taker feels safe with Roman. Cena and Taker wrestled before so Mark knows better than anyone. Am I right?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CENA vs TAKER has more creative legs to stand on now than it ever did in my opinion.

Yes, Cena vs Taker lost a lot of appeal when Taker lost when based on the streak. Since it was the streak and Cena was superman, the hype was around whether they'd let Cena be "the one, the golden child, the franchise" to "rise above" and be "the man" to end the streak. There was a feeling of "because the WWE loves Cena and of course they'd give him THAT achievement"

However things have changed in my opinion. Actually for the better...here's why:

Whether Cena would have ended the streak, we'll never know. However it's still a huge match. Maybe bigger in terms of actual creative content and mic work. Now that Cena is on his high horse as a veteran, 16 time world champ, etc. It doesn't have to be about some streak. NOW IT'S ABOUT A CENA WHO FEELS HE'S ECLIPSED TAKER and TAKER WHO FEELS CENA IS GREAT, BUT NOT THAT GREAT. I think there is a somewhat realistic spin to the match well beyond some streak. One that boils down to both men's place in history. Cena has the titles and box office, but does he have the rep and respect of Taker? When they last had a real feud, Cena was still "a boy" in legacy terms while Taker was already a legend. Now Cena is back as a legend, and somewhat confident in challenging his place in history vs The Undertaker. Can you imagine a cocky Cena saying "I respect you dead man. But let's face it. You're the old man we use up dry. The man meant to mentor the upstarts. The workhorse to do what Vince says. So that I don't have to. I'm the guy that gets the titles. I'm the face. I'm the draw. You played your part. Now it may be time to step back."

Taker vs Sting was always a dream. Unfortunately they killed it with Sting losing to Triple H which takes the mystique out of him. There was an "unknown" factor to both men facing each other. An unknown where both men are known for being able to instill fear and know how to get under other guy's skin. However this being different because they are so much alike.ButI feel it was based on euro and Truple H killed it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    When I first read this, I laugh....then I came back to it a few days later then realize that Kilgore does have a point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gr8t I Is View Post
    When I first read this, I laugh....then I came back to it a few days later then realize that Kilgore does have a point.
    Or they'll end it on the first single AA after 30 minute match with Cena's hand raised, giddy smiling as if he wasn't even in a match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't bother right now looking for thread, but I said WAY back on here WWE had a limited time to really make Cena vs. UT the new Hogan vs Andre. It was from WM26-30.

I get it with HBK's retirement and I also get it with Rock coming in against Cena.

However, they blew it.

It's up there with the great what if matches in history that WWE didn't book.

Cena vs Taker now would not be the same at all.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information