Thread: Are Cena & Roman new type of heels?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are Cena & Roman new type of heels?

Are we witnessing a new type of heels recently, that are defined by more "grounded" and realistic matters than before?

In this day and age, everything is out in the open, all behind the scene issues, statements, politics, push, brawls... everything is out there for people to read about. Given that people no longer boo the heel and cheer the face based on their actions in the ring as before, but more on how they are treated backstage (Roman's push, Daniel Bryan's lack of...) could it be possible that Cena and Roman fall under this new type of heels where they "act" as they are faces in the ring but in fact are booked as heels in the eyes of the fans by being over pushed and have them beat opponents they shouldn't be beating? They actually get the heat of heels in the ring and their opponents (Miz...) get cheered no matter what they say or do.

The reason I say this is because Cena's promos recently have changed in tone. Before, as a face, he would be booked as the superman who is here to save others. Recently, since he lost to Kevin Owens and his on/off appearances and "the new era" started, his promos are more about: "I am here to stay, I still got it, you have to go through me..." promos, which are more heel-ish than they are face honestly.

I feel that this type of interaction with the fans work today because everyone is so well informed that the fans reactions are more based on the backstage stories than they are on in-ring ones.

Thoughts?
    ...we're all mad here...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are Cena & Roman new type of heels?

I don't think so.

If you remember back in the late 90's WCW, the nWo (heels) were cheered while a lot of the faces were booed. The business evolves. As long as they are getting reactions, that's what counts. With Cena especially, I think it's got to the point where it's fun to do the back and forth chants. It's like when Kurt Angle was face and people still chanted "you suck".

Fast forward to today and you have to add a couple more things to that factor. Jericho's current comedy heel act has endeared him to the fans (his previous heel run was genius and he was genuiney hated). Then you have people like Owen and Styles who are indy darlings and so will have a large portion of the crowd cheer them while others catch on and follow. It's not abad thing, it's just the evolution of the business.

You still have a few pure babyfaces (Sammy Zayne, Daniel Bryan) and a few pure heels (The Miz, Charlotte, Alexa Bliss). With Miz I'm not sure whether it's x-pac heat or he really is that good, but Charlotte is definitely one of the best heels in the company.

gycax

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this type of heel doesn't work with everyone, that's why it's not implemented as the new way. However, it could work with superstars who get a lot of heat from fans for being over-pushed, so they can capitalize on that. The Miz is not a pure heel at all and doesn't fit with Charlotte and Alexa. He gets cheered a lot, especially when he says something controversial exposing someone (Bryan & Cena).

Yes, you do have the traditional heels that are Kevin Owens, Charlotte but I think Cena and Roman fit in a category that no one else fits into, and I feel they are running with this new type of heat that they get from fans, as I don't recall anyone getting booed while booked as a face, because fans felt he was pushed without deserving it.
    ...we're all mad here...

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cena's promos aren't heel-ish in the slightest.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more the new style of baby face than the new style of the heel. Cena and Roman are still up against the cheat to win and take every shortcut classic heel. I haven't got a heel vibe at all from Cena. I briefly got a heel vibe from Roman back when he was feuding with AJ but that was barely a blip on the radar, the only other time was maybe going a little above and beyond with the beatdown of team Kevin and Chris with Seth Rollins but they did deserve it so... anyways I just don't see it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Hmm... not completely sure I agree actually. Historically, you are right, and to a degree it always comes back to the same very babyface straplines and catchphrases and points, but I'd have to say he wouldn't have been getting guys like AJ and Owens over as much as he has if he hadn't at least veered slightly into heelish territory in the process, and there is some, albeit limited, evidence of him going this way - running guys down and being an arrogant bastard (and not in a Rock or Austin funny or deliberately derogatory way... but in order to press a button with a certain segment of the audience).

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2274aedde4d3922adf7a0409230ed5b3.jpg

How some forgot about 1997 Steve Austin.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They classify as controversial more then anything else & controversy definitely works. Wouldn't call them face or heel. Think it works cause there's a good amount of back & forth for both. Getting the crowd involved with each other is strong for them & makes them both more compelling

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Hmm... not completely sure I agree actually. Historically, you are right, and to a degree it always comes back to the same very babyface straplines and catchphrases and points, but I'd have to say he wouldn't have been getting guys like AJ and Owens over as much as he has if he hadn't at least veered slightly into heelish territory in the process, and there is some, albeit limited, evidence of him going this way - running guys down and being an arrogant bastard (and not in a Rock or Austin funny or deliberately derogatory way... but in order to press a button with a certain segment of the audience).
    That still isn't heel.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That still isn't heel.
    https://youtu.be/dJFXJDqqm4Y?t=2m45s

Never said it was completely 'heel', just said it definitely contained elements of what a heel does - for instance, arrogantly writes off all competition as 'BS', and displays a disconnected sense of entitlement which the audience doesn't appreciate, before exiting before anyone has time to respond.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    https://youtu.be/dJFXJDqqm4Y?t=2m45s

Never said it was completely 'heel', just said it definitely contained elements of what a heel does - for instance, arrogantly writes off all competition as 'BS', and displays a disconnected sense of entitlement which the audience doesn't appreciate, before exiting before anyone has time to respond.
    That still isn't heel.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would have to characterise him in that promo as the disrespectful antagonist... so I disagree. Maybe not a heel in terms of cheating, blindside attacking, etc, but in a historic sense certainly the antagonist and the one disrespecting the competition.

Friend of Jericho. Saffron Warrior's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Cena in his contact signing with AJ say something like these people who boo me can't be me even on their best day. That is not a statement a full blown babyface would make.

Thread Information