Thread: Japanese Stable incoming?

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Japanese Stable incoming?

Quote Originally Posted by Kemis. View Post
    How is an idea to group a guys/girls of the same heritage together racist?

You people. Honestly.
    You people, honestly.... you can't even remember the way the WWE has portrayed racial minorities in the past when grouping them together.

Let's look at a few examples.
    Nation of domination. - Farooq as the leader of a black panther style group. Totally not racist....
    Headshrinkers - Completely lacking in depth, portrayed a no longer true stereotype of a minority group. Totally not racist....
    Kaientai - Again it was shown ethnic minorites don't deserve any depth to their character, and the group turned into fodder for comic relief. Indeed. Totally not racist.
    Cryme Time - Remember, black people are just dumb gangster caricatures right. Totally not racist.

When non white wrestlers are paired together they get reduced to the most common stereotype. When not paired with other non white wrestlers perhaps they get a chance to show more than a stereotype.

Sorry, didn't feel like finding more examples. I'm lazy and all that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nazzer View Post
    You people, honestly.... you can't even remember the way the WWE has portrayed racial minorities in the past when grouping them together.

Let's look at a few examples.
    Nation of domination. - Farooq as the leader of a black panther style group. Totally not racist....
    Headshrinkers - Completely lacking in depth, portrayed a no longer true stereotype of a minority group. Totally not racist....
    Kaientai - Again it was shown ethnic minorites don't deserve any depth to their character, and the group turned into fodder for comic relief. Indeed. Totally not racist.
    Cryme Time - Remember, black people are just dumb gangster caricatures right. Totally not racist.

When non white wrestlers are paired together they get reduced to the most common stereotype. When not paired with other non white wrestlers perhaps they get a chance to show more than a stereotype.

Sorry, didn't feel like finding more examples. I'm lazy and all that.
    #safespaces. Wrestling is television. Television needs characters. Character's tell stories. The stories are reflective of life. Life's tough, it's gritty, it's offensive. Move on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nath45 View Post
    #safespaces. Wrestling is television. Television needs characters. Character's tell stories. The stories are reflective of life. Life's tough, it's gritty, it's offensive. Move on.
    I"m not saying the way they portray many ethnic minorities makes me triggered or likely makes other people triggered. I'm saying it's really bad and lazy character development. Shouldn't we want better? Stereotypes do not equal characters, so saying characters equal stories doesn't work as a counter here. If Kenta gets introduced to the main roster as nothing more than 'generic asian guy' that is not a character, that is a stereotype.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I"m not saying the way they portray many ethnic minorities makes me triggered or likely makes other people triggered. I'm saying it's really bad and lazy character development. Shouldn't we want better? Stereotypes do not equal characters, so saying characters equal stories doesn't work as a counter here. If Kenta gets introduced to the main roster as nothing more than 'generic asian guy' that is not a character, that is a stereotype.
    Lots of wrestling fans are okay with pro wrestling being dumb shlocky trash that's just barely out of the 80s and just barely above E-movie levels of trash.

A lot of wrestling fans don't like character development or storytelling that's actually interesting or well thought out. So, yeah. We should want better. I know I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Lots of wrestling fans are okay with pro wrestling being dumb shlocky trash that's just barely out of the 80s and just barely above E-movie levels of trash.

A lot of wrestling fans don't like character development or storytelling that's actually interesting or well thought out. So, yeah. We should want better. I know I do.
    Your use of the word lots seem to be tricky here. If lots are ok with that why are ratings lower than in the past. The political spectrum no longer thinks racism and stereotyping is ok. Perhaps if Wwe rid themselves of the perception they treat minorities like this they would be viewed by 'lots' more people

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your use of the word lots seem to be tricky here. If lots are ok with that why are ratings lower than in the past. The political spectrum no longer thinks racism and stereotyping is ok. Perhaps if Wwe rid themselves of the perception they treat minorities like this they would be viewed by 'lots' more people
    No, that would be the SJWs among us. And if that's the case - let's ban every acclaimed television show of the last 15 years.

As for ratings, that's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened again. Long story, short. Wrestling in the Year 2000 = Super white hot. Wrestling by the Year 2001 = not so much. It's not cool anymore. Simple. And arguably, wrestling was at it's peak when it was the most offensive.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWE likes most of it's wrestlers to be generic with no substance behind them then point outliers like The New Day and say see there's character development! I believe most of their characters can only hit 1 note. That's why I loved Cody's WWE run because he had different gimmicks that made his story worth watching.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cody really proved he was his father's son. Every gimmick he had he made sure worked. American Nightmare now is no different. Guys like him I would have thrown a lot of money at as he can reinvent himself endlessly. Then again, I am not sure Cory is done with WWE. I think in two years he will be brought back at a higher price after becoming a top indy guy.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Thread Information