Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VG&T's Greatest Controllers Countdown

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VG&T's Greatest Controllers Countdown

It's that time again when we pay tribute to all things video games and if you ask me it's about damn time we pay tribute to the instrument you hold in your hands. Of course I'm talking about the controllers! So whether it's a game-pad, a joy-stick, a gaming wheel, a light-gun, an entire arcade cabinet or your very own keyboard submit us a list of your Top 5 or 25 controllers and help us create a definitive list.

Voting Closes at 11:59pm Pacific Time on April 2nd so make sure you submit your votes by then.

In the mean time, by all means tell us about the craziest controls you've played with both good and bad.

And finally thank you @Ness for the suggestion. Remember if you have an idea for a VG&T countdown you can always contact me and Emperor and we'll be more than happy to take your ideas on board.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VG&T's Greatest Controllers Countdown

This is a unique one. Should get kinda interesting.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is obvious.

Someone has beaten every Souls game with them.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst, hands down (if we're talking about normal game controllers) is the Wii U game pad.

People gave the Xbox shit for having a big controller, but the Gamepad is huge, awkward to play a lot of games with, and quite heavy. The Switch fixed a lot of the issues (except the right thumbstick being in an awkward spot because Amiibo's.)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One things for sure, N64 is the worst controller of all time

After that, I've never really had any problem with any others

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nintendo 64 controller design was clunky even on release, but the innovation of the joy-stick prevents it from being the worst controller of all-time. I'll go into more detail when we inevitably do the count-down but there were aspects of that controller which really paved the way for the industry moving forward that's easy to forget in hindsight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the N64 controller. Spent a lot of time using it and never had an issue. In fact until seeing complaints online I never noticed how weird it looks. Those shiny colors help.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting idea for a countdown, I'll get a list in for sure.

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was amused by how quickly people went off on the Nintendo 64 controller both when it was released and in this thread. "How dare they accept that some games are better with the stick and others are easier to control with a cross pad! You dare to give me a choice in how to hold a controller at a time when many games have customization controls?! This is more than I can handle! I shall hold your controller this way and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNLY this way."

If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experiences with 64 controllers is that they were just poorly made, the analog stick always breaks or gets fucked up somehow to where it sticks or doesn't work properly in games or just flat out goes impotent altogether. It is just a wonky design though, I really don't like the small little yellow buttons. I do love the handle in the middle with the trigger and the shoulder buttons. I like playing Doom 64 with that controller.

The big original Xbox controller was a fucking joke, the way they redesigned it though with the smaller version was pretty tight and feels so good in your hands, I really dig it.

Dreamcast controller was pretty sweet with the little window in the middle for the VMU, but man that D-pad was one of the worst ever and the cord coming out of the bottom of the controller instead of the top, it's like WTF!?

I'd say the worst would be the 3DO and Jaguar controllers, the 3DO only had 5 buttons when most of the good games for the system required 6(Super Street Fighter, the best game on the console) and that fucking Jaguar controller:

For me it doesn't get any better than NES and SNES controllers, with Genesis up there as well. The NES controller is perfect, 2 buttons, start, select, and a d-pad, it's all that video games really need to be.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-12-2017 at 10:01 AM.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the analogue sticks on N64 were terrible. Just objectively badly made. There's nothing subjective about that particular aspect of it. Shit controller.

How could I forget the X Box pad!! Just absolutely awful. It was like holding a house brick in your hands

And I can get on board with Mega Drive controllers. They were simple and beautiful. Especially the red button one

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to give a shout to the Saturn 3D controller. The button layout is great. The buttons, d-pad, and analog stick all have a very good feel to them, and the triggers are sweet too:

The other Saturn controllers are very good too, the original Saturn controller gets a lot of hate but I really like the way it feels for certain games:

The redesign was better though, basically just an update of the Genesis six button with shoulder buttons added, one of the best D-pads you will find on a video game controller:

^The best controller ever made for 2D arcade fighting games.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PS4 controller is just excellent. It feels so comfortable to use...going back to the PS3/2 controller after using it for a while is such a big downgrade.

I love the GameCube controller and I've got a lot of love for the Wii U gamepad too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny, I actually find the Gamecube controller the most awkward out of all the controllers I've used. The button layout and having three trigger buttons as opposed to four just really bugs me. I don't see why 'A' needs to be huge, 'B' tiny, and the other two in an unnatural position above and beside the 'A' button.

vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm definitely gonna try and get a list put together for this countdown. I already know what my number one will be, but it'll be interesting to see what other controllers will make my list.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does a handheld console count as a controller? And what is that monstrosity at the bottom right of the picture in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Slug View Post
    I was amused by how quickly people went off on the Nintendo 64 controller both when it was released and in this thread. "How dare they accept that some games are better with the stick and others are easier to control with a cross pad! You dare to give me a choice in how to hold a controller at a time when many games have customization controls?! This is more than I can handle! I shall hold your controller this way and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNLY this way."
    You're saying that the N64 controller was the first to have both a joystick and a d-pad? Wasn't the Dualshock released at around the same time?

Coincidentally, I had a new controller experience just yesterday. Played Streets of Rage with a friend on his Genesis. I like the compactness of older controllers and that is no exception, but all the buttons didn't always register input. Sometimes I had to press them quite firmly which got annoying after a while. Don't know if that's just age or whether all the controllers were like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IT'S A MASTERPIECE, NOT A MONSTROSITY.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The revised Xbone controller feels perfect in almost every way. Pretty much every latest Xbox controller becomes the new best controller. Designing controllers is probably the only thing Microsoft is good at.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah got to give it to the modern systems, PS2-PS3-PS4 were all really good controllers that got better, hell even the original PS controller with or without the analog sticks was pretty sweet. Only gripe about the PS controllers is the d-pad, not a big fan. Same for all of the Xbox controllers 360 to the new ones, all really good. I've never played a Wii U, not a big fan of the Wii remotes.

Gamecube controller is another weird one. Not a good d-pad that is awkwardly placed, weird button layout, the weird little yellow analog stick, with that said though it feels good in your hands and is very well built/tough. I played through Madden 2006 a while back and grew to like the controller.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    You're saying that the N64 controller was the first to have both a joystick and a d-pad? Wasn't the Dualshock released at around the same time?
    I don't think so. I don't think the Dual Shock or the Saturn 3D controllers came out until after the 64, original Saturn/PS controllers didn't have analog stick, they released those as an answer to the 64 controllers I think.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    IT'S A MASTERPIECE, NOT A MONSTROSITY.
    Looks pretty monstrous to me. Two extra jut-out bits at the bottom. A bizarre button layout on the right. Even more frightening than the N64!

I still don't know what it is

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in as someone who never got the N64 controller hate, never had any issues with the analog stick or the pad, nothing ever broke on mine.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't even know where you got the idea that I said that. I never said or implied that it was the first to do anything. I said that was one of the things people didn't like, which I found odd. However, according to Wikipedia (which is good enough for me), the Nintendo 64 and its controller hit the market over a year before the DualShock and roughly 10 months before Sony's Dual Analog controller.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the N64 controller predates the Saturn 3D Controller by only a few days.

The Saturn 3D Controller was a simultaneous release with Nights Into Dreams, which was released in early July '96. The Nintendo 64 was launched in Japan on June 22 '96. However, in Western Markets, Sega actually got the jump on their competitors and released the 3D Controller before the launch of the Nintendo 64. In fact, it had a 5 month head-start over Nintendo in PAL territories, negating the influence of Nintendo despite being heavily influenced by the reveal of the 64 console.

With all these conflicting opinions, this is going to be a great countdown.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does a handheld console count as a controller?
    What's the verdict, @Big Pete?

Thread Information