Thread: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buffy The Vampire Slayer

So today marks twenty years since the first episode of Buffy originally aired on TV, which honestly, just thinking about it makes me feel old. Anyway's, I don't know about you guys but I love this show (though not as much as Angel, which is my all-time favorite show), and I figured today was as good a day as any to discuss the series.

Whose your favorite character? What about favorite relationships? How about your favorite episodes, or hell favorite season?

Favorite character, for me, would probably be Angel/Angelus, though admittedly that would include him on his own show, but Passion may very well be the best Angel/Angelus centric episode, just a great episode. As for favorite couple, that goes to Willow and Tara, though I also enjoyed Willow and Oz together (so basically Willow and anyone ), I did also like Xander and Cordelia for what it was as well.

In regards to favorite episodes, there is the before mentioned Passion episode, but I also really enjoyed these episodes as well... Band Candy, Hush, Once More With Feeling, Potential, The Body, and The Wish, all great episodes, in my opinion.

Banner Credit: Surrender

Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015
    Currently Watching: Blue Exorcist S2, Dragon Ball Super, Tiger Mask W
    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner, 2014 & 2015 Winner)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

I loved Buffy, this was the best vampire series ever and the show that made Vampires cool, not sure but was Willow one of the first lesbian characters in a teen tv series. I actually missed the final ever episode due to my wife was giving birth to my first son, so to remember that occasion my son has the middle name of Xander. However I also used the name Willow as one of middle names to one of my daughters as well, some how I doubt I could ever use the name Buffy and get away with it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angel was my favorite character but mostly for his post BTVS stuff. I thought his show became better than Buffy quite easily. Spike is a close 2nd. Both to me were really the glue that held the show together.

Things I Liked:
    Angelus/Angel saga. This was the first real kind of must see storyline and really made you give a shit about Angel. He became more than just some spikey haired hunk, he now had this evil edge and it was very enjoyable. Boreanez seemed to come into his own when he got to work with the dark side of the Angel character.

Faith's storyline:
    I loved her in season 3. Just this bad ass slayer who was very much the anti buffy. Everything about their feud just worked perfectly and I also loved the cross over eps where Faith came after Angel only for him to end up being the final step in her redemption. I liked that she was brought back into the fold for the final battle at Sunnydale but at times it felt like she was just there and didn't really have as much direction.

Glory: I loved Glory as the big bad. She was probably my favorites of the Big Bads (other than Angelus and Faith).

Anything Spike related worked wonders. The beginnings of his crush on Buffy was such a great storyline and I loved how it all played out.

Willows gay storyline and brief stint into the dark side for revenge. I thought it was great to finally give Willow some edge.

Xander and Anya. All their scenes together worked so well to lighten the mood. On that note though, it's a bummer to see what has become of Nicholas Brendan. He's fell on some hard times financially, legally, and with booze and who knows what else. Hopefully he can pull his life back together but it's sad to see how far he's fallen.

Things I didn't like...

The first season. God this was bad. I remembered not being into this show until the angelus storyline and I know why. This show got off on a rocky start and looking back on it now it's comically bad. The fight sequences to the acting, it was just all across the boards bad.

Dawn. God dawn was just so obnoxious. I hated her. I like Michelle Trachtenberg, but in this role...no.

Buffy herself was kind of a straight up bitch a lot of the time.

This I think hurt the show more than anything else and it's becoming less common now but to many god damn episodes. Every season a solid 22 eps or some shit. To say they threw in some clunkers to pad the season out would be an understatement. However it was the style of the 90's and still prominent today to do that shit so it isn't Joss Whedon's fault for having to pad it out to so many eps.

Riley Finn. I don't know if the plan was to always have him be wrote off the show so fast or if an audible was called once they realized his character sucked. As viewers though like from the jump we were pre disposed to hate this guy. They tried to make him more likeable by saving Oz and going against the Initiative but I just remember feeling watching it on first viewing that this guy had to go. On the other side though I think it was intentional. This was buffy's flirt with normalcy in a relationship and when she got it she found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Buffy likes the bad boy, not the nice guy. So from a storyline stand point it makes sense they would do this storyline and designed everything by choice and didn't have to make adjustments to get rid of Riley because he was so terrible.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post, @vendrell.

I'm a pretty big fan of Faith myself, like you, I really enjoyed her story arc throughout both Buffy and Angel, she's definitely one of the more interesting characters from either show.

The death of Tara, and Willows descent to the dark side that followed made for some entertaining stuff as well, even if I could have gone without seeing Warren flayed to death.

As for season one, I admit that it's one of the weaker seasons of Buffy, but it was also the show's first season and a mid-season replacement at that and was trying to find its identity. With that said there are a few episodes from that season that I like... Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, The Pack, Angel, and Out of Mind, Out of Sight, were all good episodes I thought.

Banner Credit: Surrender

Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015
    Currently Watching: Blue Exorcist S2, Dragon Ball Super, Tiger Mask W
    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner, 2014 & 2015 Winner)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who didn't like Xander? He was good with Anya, but the rest of the time I just found him annoying. All his forced levity seemed just that - forced.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hated Xander. He was not even good with Anya, Anya was good, he was just there.

Buffy season one was not that good, but Buffy was a huge risk at the time. Closer to the movie than the rest of the TV show. It worked though to introduce the characters and a bit of the story.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xander and Willow could both be a little on the annoying side at times when they were both trying to be the mood lighteners. It could be a bit overwhelming and it did come off forced but when they dialed it back a bit those moments of levity really shined through and felt natural. Xander had some moments that really made me crack up. Actually to me it was Willow who whose awkward quirky shit could really get on my nerves. Willow's saving grace in storyline was Tara. Also Amber Benson...so god damn good in the movie The Killing Jar with Michael Madsen. It combines two of my favorite things...murderers and greasy spoon diners in the middle of nowhere.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I can't remember one thing about Buffy the Vampire series. It just feels so long ago. I was more an Angel guy but Buffy was a series I enjoyed during the time. Damn, didn't realize it was that old. It's time for the series to move out and get a job!

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

Thread Information