Thread: Crazy theory: WWE hates Roman Reigns

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crazy theory: WWE hates Roman Reigns

Talking to RT and BigRed on twitter regarding Wrestlemania, I expressed a theory and now i'm posting it here. I'm sure it sounds out there but let's see what you have to say.

Roman Reigns is supposed to be the top babyface of the promotion (excluding part-timers I suppose) For the briefest of moments, WWE likes to show that they actually know how to book him this way (HHH beatdown at TLC, Shield hot tags and that LMS with Big Show are a few examples)

That's only a few percent of the time though, the rest of the time it's Sufferin Succotash Roman, Story time Roman and all the other shit promo material he's been given.

Now they want him to face Taker at Mania, think about that. Taker at Mania and they think Roman will get even one cheer in that sort of environment. This isn't a match with Wyatt, there's actually a strong chance Roman goes over here in my view, with the yard reference.

The only way it stands even a remote chance of success is if Roman gets vicious in the build up, turns heel (I know it's an internet cliche) and embraces the position that so many fans think he has, that he's Vinces new guy. Promos like he's putting the old dog out to pasture, taking it behind the shed and shooting it etc.

Then on the Raw after Mania, he comes out looking all smug, in an OTT 3 piece suit and tells Brock Lesnar that "You have my property and i'm coming to get it"

WWE seem to constantly put Roman in bad situations and book him the exact opposite as to how you'd book your top face, it almost seems vindictive.

Thoughts?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's so nice knowing i'm no longer alone

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crazy theory: WWE hates Roman Reigns

You have to remember that they book Roman to get over with the kiddies... not the older fans.

Oh, and the Taker match isn't about boos and cheers... it's about building up his credibility.

That being said, don't be surprised if Taker/Reigns ends with respect/respect.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    You have to remember that they book Roman to get over with the kiddies... not the older fans.

Oh, and the Taker match isn't about boos and cheers... it's about building up his credibility.

In my opinion, that will make the fans hate him more. Think Rock coming out and raising Roman's arm.

And kids boo his ass too. I was just at a house show and all 3 merch booths were lined up all night. Guess which shirts were left when they were packing up? Reigns & Miz. Everything else was gone.

I will have more on this when I'm not on my phone. But I'm digging @Oncall's theory. I like it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post

Agree, as per some sites, there is no chance of heel turn or anything, it is going to be the respect/respect, face/face kind of thing.
    Most probably Reigns, Taker and Vince are going to have a steamy threesome post mania.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they do, then they finally have something in common with their fans.

Oh, and tell BigRed I said he sucks and is poopy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Roman's best chance to get cheered is if he reunites with the Shield again or takes off his vest in a room full of women(or gay dude's)

Jokes aside. The forcing of talent to be "at the top" doesn't really work in todays environment. It doesn't help that he is fed terrible material and has no personality to deliver it well. They are not playing on his best asset which is that he is really good in the ring and have great matches. As for the Undertaker match, I also feel like respect/respect is the way they will go. I can understand how Vince and Co. might think that Roman beating the Undertaker then having a handshake moment followed by a Monday Night Raw moment might help out Roman. The endorsement from Undertaker should be enough to finally put Roman over with the majority right? The only problem is he will first get boo'ed out of the building on his entrance, boo'ed for his "comeback sequence", and most definitely boo'ed for pinning Taker. So this will do more bad for Roman in terms of being the top face.

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn him full blown heel.

Some quick fantasy booking:
    Hunter v Rollins at Wrestlemania - Roman interferes siding with Triple H.
    Monday Night Raw, the night after Wrestlemania - Roman, Owens, Joe and Triple H reform the new Authority, Roman cuts a promo similar to Rocky's 'respect' promo in 98.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I don't see any heel turns in Roman's future. The roadmap seems pretty clear to me. Brock is going to be champ after 'Mania and Roman is going over Taker so he can move into a title feud with Lesnar afterwards. Throw in an unimaginable number of references to yards for good measure.

At this point, I don't think any amount of booing in the world can stop their plans for Reigns. They seem determined to drive the poor guy into the ground. It's going to take something dramatic to change their minds. The only thing I can think of is if maybe people started chanting "Die Roman die!" (which is what forced them to turn The Rock in his first face run) instead of the whole Let's go Roman/Roman Sucks thing then they might finally have to acknowledge that any reaction is NOT necessarily a good reaction.

Ivan Koloff Girl southrnbygrace's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wondered at all the reports of him being Vince's pet project. Roman is consistently put in situations where he will garner the worst possible reactions. It makes absolutely ZERO sense if he's a favorite of Vince's.

Banner by edgehead73
    Icon by buffygirl52789

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by southrnbygrace View Post
    I've always wondered at all the reports of him being Vince's pet project. Roman is consistently put in situations where he will garner the worst possible reactions. It makes absolutely ZERO sense if he's a favorite of Vince's.
    Vince's way of forcing him on us until we give the reaction he wants...

Makes sense to me....Vince is a selfish moron

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Samurai Jack and Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst thing to happen to Roman Reigns was that SummerSlam panel in 2013.

Roman was going to be pushed regardless, but he made the mistake of showing some personality and Vince was convinced he had his next Rock.

Roman was never going to be THAT guy. The Rock is a megastar, you can't just manufacture another one, especially when a guy like Roman has other strengths like being a believable bad-ass.

I've said it before but they needed to switch gears and think of him more like Batista. A guy with plenty of charisma but was at his best when he played to his type.

The WWE's inability to market Reigns needs to go down in folklore as one of their biggest busts. It's 1993 all over again, except the WWF has enough supplemental viewing to distract the hardcore fans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    The worst thing to happen to Roman Reigns was that SummerSlam panel in 2013.

Roman was going to be pushed regardless, but he made the mistake of showing some personality and Vince was convinced he had his next Rock.

Roman was never going to be THAT guy. The Rock is a megastar, you can't just manufacture another one, especially when a guy like Roman has other strengths like being a believable bad-ass.

I've said it before but they needed to switch gears and think of him more like Batista. A guy with plenty of charisma but was at his best when he played to his type.

The WWE's inability to market Reigns needs to go down in folklore as one of their biggest busts. It's 1993 all over again, except the WWF has enough supplemental viewing to distract the hardcore fans.
    It's crazy tho b/c reportedly he's one of the top merchandise sellers for WWE. But you can't force feed folks stuff and Vince has a history of pushing things no matter how much the opposite response is received.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relative to the rest of the company, which the WWE can manipulate.

I wonder how much his merch sales compare to other guys in the past 10 or so years.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the merch sale argument at the WWE level. It's such a ridiculous way of judging someone when they're already as big as they're ever going to get.

Merch sales matter when you're the dude trying to make a name in ROH or whatever, or even if you're just starting to get yourself over a la Zack Ryder. But saying "Roman's merch sales are huge," means nothing at this point because he's one of the WWE's top guys. Shit sells itself at that point.

And like Pete said, that number can be vastly skewed by the company. They can influence sales if they want to and we've seen them do it in the past.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I hate the merch sale argument at the WWE level. It's such a ridiculous way of judging someone when they're already as big as they're ever going to get.

Merch sales matter when you're the dude trying to make a name in ROH or whatever, or even if you're just starting to get yourself over a la Zack Ryder. But saying "Roman's merch sales are huge," means nothing at this point because he's one of the WWE's top guys. Shit sells itself at that point.

And like Pete said, that number can be vastly skewed by the company. They can influence sales if they want to and we've seen them do it in the past.
    Also the top guys always have far more merch than lower level guys. That's why Ryder was such an interesting case study: his 1-2 items were generating close to the dollars of the suite of Cena assets.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the topic at hand, obviously we'll never know what Vince & co are really thinking when it comes to Reigns, but I think Oncall and southern are on to something with their comments. I definitely wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Pete used the right word: bust. I think that plays a lot into what we're seeing with Roman Reigns today. The fans wanted a certain Roman after The Shield broke up and anyone that was anyone knew it was the right move for the WWE to make. But they went another direction and nobody can figure out why

Rollins and Ambrose were always going to be fine. They had the indie support they would never lose and were experienced enough and talented enough to carry on in any fashion and succeed. Roman needed help, he got it, he was SO OVER with The Shield...then poof.

We had a steely-eyed, strong-silent-type killer in Roman Reigns. We had a guy that when you heard his theme and he stepped into the crowd, you knew someone was about to die. You believed that no matter what, if Roman Reigns showed up, the fans were going to love it and whoever he had his eyes on was going to shit their pants.

Then they just seemed to go "you know what? Nah...let's do nursery rhymes instead."

WHAT?

Reigns embodies all the frustrations the fans have with the WWE and because of what they did to him he always will.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Roman now eschewing the Shield gimmick has hurt him as well. Same look, same music ... no refresh at all since he debuted five years ago.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jericho View Post
    I think Roman now eschewing the Shield gimmick has hurt him as well. Same look, same music ... no refresh at all since he debuted five years ago.
    But he wore shoes with white soles at Fastlane!

Quick aside: how stupid is it that they change the colours of his shoes and back chevrons to try and give him...I don't know what. Flair? Personality?

I agree wholeheartedly. Rollins and Ambrose evolved from The Shield. Reigns didn't. They could have got away with it if they just left him as-is, but they quite literally left him with the same look and music, but completely changed his personality and nothing fit or made sense.

Then they changed it back. Then changed it to a third thing. Then changed it back again. And on and on and on.

They had the perfect Roman Reigns in their hands right after The Shield broke up and they threw it away.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want Roman to ever change. Much like X-Pac still sporting neon green and doing crotch chops.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    I don't want Roman to ever change. Much like X-Pac still sporting neon green and doing crotch chops.
    But X-Pac evolved half-a-dozen times to get to X-Pac.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, I was just saying that Roman continuing to use the SHIELD stuff after the breakup reminded me of X-Pac still sporting the DX stuff after the 99 breakup.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Roman and the bean stalk promo still gives me nightmares. I mean I know that only went on for like 3 minutes but it felt like a solid ten minutes just for this one story. Now it isn't on Roman that he was given shit and told to make lemonade with it, he was only working with what he was given but that was the night I knew in my heart that things weren't going to go well for Roman. Then you stick him in a feud with Big Show who was literally the worst option they could have chosen to try and get Roman over. They needed a solid in ring performer who could bring out the best in Roman and bump around for him with a high impact pace. Big Show just wasn't the right guy for that. So his first big push right out of the gate just started horribly, the fans shit on it and it just became a thing to do. Roman just never really got out of the box with the exception of winning the belt back on Raw from Sheamus. This was the night it all felt possible for Roman again...then the next week it was the same old Roman that everybody hated.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing how he was booked tonight you might just be onto something.

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWE isn't trying to get Roman cheered cause they don't care. That's not a priority. Priority is a reaction. He most definitely got a big one tonight & will get a big one @ Mania. That's definitive that he's succeeding. "Face" or "Heel" is really not what they care about, it's stars & he's most definitely one of their biggest. They aren't mistaken about who he is or anything to indirectly make him fail

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness_Bolt View Post
    WWE isn't trying to get Roman cheered cause they don't care. That's not a priority. Priority is a reaction. He most definitely got a big one tonight & will get a big one @ Mania. That's definitive that he's succeeding. "Face" or "Heel" is really not what they care about, it's stars & he's most definitely one of their biggest. They aren't mistaken about who he is or anything to indirectly make him fail
    I don't disagree they want a "reaction," but the WWE does have clear heels. The reaction argument/direction has just become an excuse to the fact the WWE is terrible at booking/developing new baby faces.

Thread Information