Thread: The big man- smaller man match dynamic

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The big man- smaller man match dynamic

For me, it's gotten stale, a long time ago. Even the Sami Zayn/Braun Strowman feud felt flat to me.

It's possible why I've never gravitated to most of the "giants". Either they do the "big man, smaller man" do-se-do, or it's two big men slowly soft punching each other.

Undertaker and Kane are two bigger guys that I felt could have compelling matches without focusing too much on who was big or little. Big Cass might have potential to do the same, but I am less confident of Braun Strowman's potential.

I know it's a matter of perception, as to what constitutes a "giant". I think Luke Harper is great in the ring, but wouldn't consider him a giant, in spite of his size. But it could also be my own bias, because he doesn't rely on the tired big guy/smaller guy formula to dictate his matches.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The big man- smaller man match dynamic

I've never really gravitated towards the big guys either.

I find that the match itself is often dictated by the gimmick of " who is bigger " - those guys around that 7 foot number - Big Show, Khali, Nash, Andre, Kane - Undertaker is the exception at 6'10"

I find a lot of the matches slow and clumsy. And usually the feud is really just about one big guy, challenging another big guy, because they're both big guys. Then the match itself is usually a test of strength, power and slowly out muscling each other. Nothing draws me in.

I would say, there is a shift, the new ' giants ' aren't as big or as cumbersome as in the past. Big Cass, Luke Gallows and Baron Corbin are billed at approx 275-290 lbs - much lighter, and more athletic than in previous generations.

Luke Harper is a deceptive at 6'5" - Orton is 6'5" mind you.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The problem with most huge wrestlers is that the only logical way to work the match is for the big guy to dominate most of the match because of his sheer size advantage and then lose somehow. See the various John Cena vs Big Show matches for good examples. This isn't necessarily bad in itself, but it is quite limiting, and Big Show on offense isn't the most compelling thing in the world. It's the same in New Japan. Tanahashi or Okada vs Bad Luck Fale is exactly the same kinda match, and it isn't very good. Most of that is on the big man.

Immovable object goliath wrestlers are not the must-see special attraction they once were. Nowadays the workrate is so much faster than even the big guys have to be quite athletic. That's exactly what we're seeing with the likes of Braun Strowman and Baron Corbin. The recent Cena vs Corbin match on Smackdown was structured exactly the same as Cena vs Big Show, but it was a lot better because Corbin on offense is more interesting to watch than Big Show on offense.

I don't think the big man vs big man spectacle will ever lose its appeal as long as it's not done too frequently. Show vs Strowman is the most entertaining match I've seen on Raw in a long time. Strowman's athleticism was a big part of that, but Show did his part as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nath45 View Post
    I've never really gravitated towards the big guys either.

I find that the match itself is often dictated by the gimmick of " who is bigger " - those guys around that 7 foot number - Big Show, Khali, Nash, Andre, Kane - Undertaker is the exception at 6'10"

I find a lot of the matches slow and clumsy. And usually the feud is really just about one big guy, challenging another big guy, because they're both big guys. Then the match itself is usually a test of strength, power and slowly out muscling each other. Nothing draws me in.

I would say, there is a shift, the new ' giants ' aren't as big or as cumbersome as in the past. Big Cass, Luke Gallows and Baron Corbin are billed at approx 275-290 lbs - much lighter, and more athletic than in previous generations.

Luke Harper is a deceptive at 6'5" - Orton is 6'5" mind you.
    The only legit 7 footers in wwe are Show, giant Gonzalez, and khali. Andre was only 6'11

Kane has stated he is 6'9 which puts guys like taker and Sid at 6'8

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spladle141 View Post
    The only legit 7 footers in wwe are Show, giant Gonzalez, and khali. Andre was only 6'11

Kane has stated he is 6'9 which puts guys like taker and Sid at 6'8
    I should have said ' billed at ' 7'0"

What did Nash say? " One inch lifts, and 2 inches to marketing " or something like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nath45 View Post
    I should have said ' billed at ' 7'0"

What did Nash say? " One inch lifts, and 2 inches to marketing " or something like that.
    It's not you just it just burns me up that they still bill Andre at 7'4. If you see in the pic Wilt Chamberlain is a legit 7'2 and he towers over Andre.

IMG_1925.jpg

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But braun is doing things like kip ups.

That impressed me a little....I really like Braun. He seems to work well with his size. Wish he could teach that to Nia Jax

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    But braun is doing things like kip ups.

That impressed me a little....I really like Braun. He seems to work well with his size. Wish he could teach that to Nia Jax
    I agree I like Braun, but I'm still tuning out during his matches.

Nia Jax, well, she's there because she has a cousin with influence.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    The problem with most huge wrestlers is that the only logical way to work the match is for the big guy to dominate most of the match because of his sheer size advantage and then lose somehow. See the various John Cena vs Big Show matches for good examples. This isn't necessarily bad in itself, but it is quite limiting, and Big Show on offense isn't the most compelling thing in the world. It's the same in New Japan. Tanahashi or Okada vs Bad Luck Fale is exactly the same kinda match, and it isn't very good. Most of that is on the big man.

Immovable object goliath wrestlers are not the must-see special attraction they once were. Nowadays the workrate is so much faster than even the big guys have to be quite athletic. That's exactly what we're seeing with the likes of Braun Strowman and Baron Corbin. The recent Cena vs Corbin match on Smackdown was structured exactly the same as Cena vs Big Show, but it was a lot better because Corbin on offense is more interesting to watch than Big Show on offense.

I don't think the big man vs big man spectacle will ever lose its appeal as long as it's not done too frequently. Show vs Strowman is the most entertaining match I've seen on Raw in a long time. Strowman's athleticism was a big part of that, but Show did his part as well.
    I think much of that comes down to the big guys being on TV week in and week out so they're not a novelty anymore. Have a roster populated of dudes who are 6'5, 250 at the most and then all of a sudden there's Big Show and no one will care whether he can barely move anymore.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Thread Information