Thread: Long Matches

vCash
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Long Matches

Quote Originally Posted by patrick94 View Post
    But how do their brains connect that abomination (which I, and I'm guessing a lot of people saw coming from a mile away) to what could possibly be a classic in Owens vs Jericho?
    If Jericho could have a classic (or even above average) match with AJ Styles, no way is he going to have one with Owens.

Jericho has been a complete dud in the ring during this whole current run.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought Jericho was below average anyway even during his prime for someone of his ilk. He doesn't have the body control to make his moves as athletic or believable as others. A two or three step slower Jericho forced AJ to really adjust his timing which made for some disjointed matches. He makes up for it though in the storytelling/psychology aspect. A match with Owens given the storyline should be a 10 minute brawl and that's it.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    I've always thought Jericho was below average anyway even during his prime for someone of his ilk. He doesn't have the body control to make his moves as athletic or believable as others. A two or three step slower Jericho forced AJ to really adjust his timing which made for some disjointed matches. He makes up for it though in the storytelling/psychology aspect. A match with Owens given the storyline should be a 10 minute brawl and that's it.
    Jericho has always been a clunky plodfoot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    46 year old wrestler taking on an independent darling/brawler in a long-ish match.

Take away the silly gimmick name and the similarities are startling.
    The Big Man gets it as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    I fucking HATE long matches. Even if they're supposed to be long based on gimmick. I just don't have the time, patience, or attention span for it. Not now, not then, not ever.
    Now, I don't hate long matches. Far from it. If I was making a greatest match ever list, all of the top 5 could be 30+ minutes and 3 of them could be 40+. I also think the Iron Man is the best Rock/HHH match, despite having serious reservations about them being able to pull it off at the time. I don't have time for matches that are long for the sake of being long though.

Okada/Omega is an interesting example. They didn't need to go 45+ and the match overall suffered for it. Now, I can get the argument of going long to allow the crowd a breather after Tana/Naito but there are two issues with that. (1) There are plenty of examples of crowds staying hot for multiple matches in a row; and (2) they could still have made the work in that opening 15-20 more engaging and meaningful. It felt like just filling time because we are going 45 and we clearly don't need it due to how we are working this opening, but we are going 45 because this is the main of the Dome Show and it has to be epic and 45+ means epic.

I remain convinced that Bret/Shawn could've been an all-time if it was 20-25 minutes. Although I completely get why they chose that stip, since they were trying to push their stars as younger, fitter, better wrestlers and trying to portray WCW as an old folk's home.

I think people often just use 30 as some round figure without realising how long it is and how most wrestlers aren't used to going that long. Has Jericho ever gone 30 in a singles match?

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    I think people often just use 30 as some round figure without realising how long it is and how most wrestlers aren't used to going that long. Has Jericho ever gone 30 in a singles match?
    Closest I can recall is him going 27 minutes against HBK in an unsanctioned match at Unforgiven 2008, 25 minutes against CM Punk in a street fight at Extreme Rules 2012, and 26 minutes against Ambrose in the aforementioned asylum match.

Interesting to note that all of these matches are street fight type personal grudge matches. Can't see the KO match getting that much time though being at WM. Maybe their rematch with a stip added goes longer.

All credit goes to surrender!

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SM? View Post
    If Jericho could have a classic (or even above average) match with AJ Styles, no way is he going to have one with Owens.

Jericho has been a complete dud in the ring during this whole current run.
    I think Owens could carry the match. 30 minutes is a bit long, but I'd like to see them go 20 minutes. If it turns out to be disappointing then it wouldn't take up that much time of the card, and if it turns out to actually be a really good match then no one goes home disappointed because they didn't get enough time. Either way, Owens deserves at least 20 minutes at Mania.
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    Now, I don't hate long matches. Far from it.
    I'll admit that "hate" was perhaps a strong word. I think saying "I dread" or "find it difficult" to watch a long match would've been more appropriate. Like everything in life, context is key. As some have rightly pointed out, match length isn't the sole measure of whether a match will be enjoyable or not. But considering the context within which I'll most often watch a match anymore (i.e., with my wife, whose patience and tolerance are pushed to their limits with 20-minute matches), knowing going in that a particular match is going to require a hefty time investment from me... It's a steep hill to climb and a similar reason to why I watch so few movies, especially anymore.

In retrospect, I find long matches generally more tolerable and even enjoyable when I've committed myself to sitting down and watching a whole show or PPV. That's a much longer/broader commitment, so a long match within that timeframe doesn't standout as much as an issue to me. However, I've had the experience many times with long matches, maybe usually after the umpteenth false finish, of feeling burned out and pulled out of the match by thinking/feeling/realizing that "boy, this match is going long and it just keeps going..."

I'm glad you mentioned the note about your Top 3 matches all likely being longer than 30 minutes. Whether we uses our 100 Matches Before We Bite It list, or just list our own Top 10 favorite matches, I'd be definitely curious to see what the average match length turns out to be.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cobain. View Post
    Its like WWE said screw this year. Lets wait until next year.
    For what?

Thread Information