Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The All Purpose 2017 Free Agency thread!

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The All Purpose 2017 Free Agency thread!

Matt Schaub good.
    Good enough to make the Pro Bowl twice.

The Texans still made the playoffs, eliminated Oakland, all without Watt and a garbage offense. You can't tell me that if they had it together offensively the last few seasons they wouldn't be a scary good team.
    Sure....just not good enough to say Watt would have 3 rings by now. That's a ridiculous speculation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilmore isn't a good corner at all, don't think Buffalo will miss him at all. Gilmore flourished with a stud pass rush under Schwartz, plenty of corners can do that. Big deal. He got exposed this past year where guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick threw at him at will, and he was so bad on some plays he had to reach at Marshall and nearly cost him his season. Great athleticism, awful technique. Maybe New England can coach him up but he isn't one of the best corners in the game to me. Case of Free Agency overbloating a corner, the way people were hyping this signing up this was like nnamdi asomugha.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/buff...ormance-week-2

Damn targeted EIGHT times I know it's one game but shit this was routine it felt like all year long. How much blame does this go on Rex's schemes?
    Last edited by Blindy; 03-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ANYONE can coach proper technique into Gilmore it's Bill Belichick and his staff. Their DB's are as fundamentally sound as it gets.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Matt Schaub good.

Houston was the league's #1 defense last season with Watt on the sidelines. Atlanta was #25 and made the Super Bowl with their good offense.

The Texans still made the playoffs, eliminated Oakland, all without Watt and a garbage offense. You can't tell me that if they had it together offensively the last few seasons they wouldn't be a scary good team.
    There's "scary good" and then there's "three Super Bowl winning" good, which is all-time great teams. Houston's defense has never been that good. DVOA doesn't have them at #1 in any time in Watt's career. Maybe a ring would have happened by now, but three was a wide reach. Watt's only been a pro bowl player four times.

Getting out from under the Osweiler deal is a good move for them and bringing in Tony Romo isn't the worst idea either. They have the right pieces on offense if they can get a good QB and if Romo can stay healthy, he's better than good. It's a gamble, but the Texans either have to gamble on "let's get a great but oft-injured QB and hope he stays healthy or let's get a healthy QB and hope he's better than ok." It's easier to do the first part.
    Last edited by mikec; 03-10-2017 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patriots acquire Brandin Cooks for their 1st and 3rd round picks....they keep Butler.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumb trade by the Saints but the idiots didn't know how to use Cooks. So stupid. You should probably get fired honestly if you can't get Cooks a reception in a game in 2016. You go enjoy Willie Snead and Brandon Coleman Drew and Sean. Michael Thomas may eventually get doubled.

Well the good news is Cooks is a keeper in PW Fantasy but the bad news is well he's a fucking Patriot.

I seriously doubt you'll find a Cooks with the final pick of the 1st round. And they gave a 4th round pick to barely move up in round 3, dumbdadumbdadumb!

Thankfully Brady doesn't have a rocket arm to whip it to Cooks deep. And if you can hit him, Cooks will get taken out but besides that, oh boy. Cooks and Edelman.....and Gronk.
    Last edited by Blindy; 03-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Patriots acquire Brandin Cooks for their 1st and 3rd round picks....they keep Butler.
    Damn the rich get richer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's looking more and more like we're getting #3 of Brady vs Eli in this years Super Bowl.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing looks that much like Eli...

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    It's looking more and more like we're getting #3 of Brady vs Eli in this years Super Bowl.
    Philadelphia's got a good band of receivers for this year. And by rookie standards, Carson Wentz was good last year. So perhaps this could be a race between the two for a wild card berth. But we all know Dallas is gonna have a lockdown on the division lead.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marshall "The God" Newhouse's journey continues, this time he is going to try and get Derek Carr killed over in Oakland. How does this man continue to find jobs? I thought the Jets bringing back that stiff Ijalana was bad, but yeesh.

Jets did sign Kelvin Beachum, I guess that's alright as long as it wasn't a ridiculous overpay. Hoping he can be a serviceable LT, Jets need that in the worst way.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a Packer things , I am so dumbfounded as to what anyone see's in Newhouse. The Packers reluctance not only to keep him on the roster but keep playing him , McAdoo watching him all those years and STILL bringing him to the Giants and now McKenzie in Oakland wants to try the Newhouse disaster out. This guy must be the greatest practicer in the world because if we are going by just what he does on Sunday's he has no business in this league. I would get it more if he was an uber talented 1st round pick that just needs things to click but the guy was a 5th round pick , what the hell does anyone SEE in him. I wish I had a direct line to scouts because this might be the first question I ask.

Other than that , I'm not too stoked about the Bennett signing. I don't think he's that good of a player , and I don't think he comes in and makes a difference for this team. I would of rather had Hyde back , I would rather spend up to keep Lang , and I most certainly would of rather tried and drafted Howard. Cook was perfectly fine for us last season and I can't imagine he was asking for more money than Martellus "pay for the ring" Bennett. At the end of the day an above average tight end isn't going to change the tides in Green Bay , use that money on defensive players for fucks sake Ted Thompson.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the Packers kept Nick Perry away from the Jets, while Perry after years of injuries had a strong contract season, he's young and talented enough to be a good front 7 player. Really would have liked him on the Jets but alas.

Bennett's got a big mouth, wonder if he will like Rodgers considering Bennett in all of his chances chewed out Cutler and consistently threw him under the bus. Granted Rodgers dumps have more competition in them than Cutler but still.....Jared Cook must have been asking for the moon but after shit QBs in TEN and STL/LA, why ruin something so good in GB? Now he'll maybe match onto another team that's unproven at QB and revert back to the ordinary at best TE he's been for years.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Well the Packers kept Nick Perry away from the Jets, while Perry after years of injuries had a strong contract season, he's young and talented enough to be a good front 7 player. Really would have liked him on the Jets but alas.
    He was a good player and I'm happy to have him back and it was pretty much the same deal that Shields got - so he came at a bit of a discount. He worries be a bit because of his injury history but there is little to no question that if we are basing things off of last year - he was the 2nd best player on that entire defense - only behind Mike Daniels. Clay wasn't good enough to even carry his jock through most of the season. I'd still rather we trade Clay and fleece some team for like a second round pick and save some money - but alas the Packers won't do that to their precious and extremely fragile barbie doll on steroids.

The Jets aren't allowed to have pass rushers though , so I'm happy he didn't go their because something in the water in New York certainly would of killed his career.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh come the fuck on Giants.....

First you steal Kareem McKenzie from us, than snatch Snacks Harrison, now you grab Brandon Marshall and now may look into acquiring Geno Smith as a successor to Eli Manning. Come the fuck on. What's next? Nick Folk will be your kicker? Mangold will be a guard for the Giants alongside Pugh and Richburg?

So frustrating. I would 110% take Geno over RG3, Kaepernick, trading for McCarron or Simian.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    There's "scary good" and then there's "three Super Bowl winning" good, which is all-time great teams. Houston's defense has never been that good. DVOA doesn't have them at #1 in any time in Watt's career. Maybe a ring would have happened by now, but three was a wide reach. Watt's only been a pro bowl player four times.

Getting out from under the Osweiler deal is a good move for them and bringing in Tony Romo isn't the worst idea either. They have the right pieces on offense if they can get a good QB and if Romo can stay healthy, he's better than good. It's a gamble, but the Texans either have to gamble on "let's get a great but oft-injured QB and hope he stays healthy or let's get a healthy QB and hope he's better than ok." It's easier to do the first part.
    I agree with almost everything you said , but "only" four times is a bit of a backhanded compliment consider the only two seasons he didn't make the pro bowl are his rookie year and this past season when he only played three games due to injury. Also those four pro bowl seasons don't do him justice , he was the best defensive player in the league for at least three of those years. The Texans as a whole though were never great on defense until this season and even downright bad a couple of those years - then they worked on building around Watt with some great success and their offense took four steps back. Im not sure Houston even wins one Super Bowl with a different QB over the years , but they are certainly a tougher out in the playoffs with a much higher chance.

Going after Romo is the only move for this franchise at this point , worst case scenario is that he gets hurt and you have Savage or a drafted rookie to take over - a position you'd already be in anyways if you don't pursue Romo. I think if he can stay on the field Houston has a great shot at a top two seed coming out of the South.

The Jaguars should pursue Romo too.

Aside from that , I'm not sure I love the price New England paid for Cooks. I love him as a player but that's a lot to give up for someone in the final year of their rookie deal. Are they going to be able to even resign him next season? He or Butler almost certainly have to be gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh come the fuck on Giants.....

First you steal Kareem McKenzie from us, than snatch Snacks Harrison, now you grab Brandon Marshall and now may look into acquiring Geno Smith as a successor to Eli Manning. Come the fuck on. What's next? Nick Folk will be your kicker? Mangold will be a guard for the Giants alongside Pugh and Richburg?

So frustrating.
    Successor? Get the fuck out of town Blindy. :lol

vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also want to say that I'm loving all the trades and trade speculation this season - adds even more excitement to the NFL offseason. Honestly that's one thing for me that NBA always had over the NFL but if this continues they just continue to dominate the sports talk for 11 months out of the year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Also want to say that I'm loving all the trades and trade speculation this season - adds even more excitement to the NFL offseason. Honestly that's one thing for me that NBA always had over the NFL but if this continues they just continue to dominate the sports talk for 11 months out of the year.
    The NFL dominates sports headlines for when the schedule leaks or comes out despite everyone knowing who they play(Just a matter of when and if it's on national TV or not). I think that says it all. What other sport commands such attention for when a schedule is officially released and to have people legit try and dissect wins and losses and matchups based off of that

Due to no salary cap, baseball is still king though for trades, especially since its farm system is bar none THE best in all of sports and people love their prospects. You think draft picks are a hot commodity in basketball and football? GMs get legit hard ons over cost controlled 6-7 year prospects.

EDIT: Oh the AFC East is playing the NFC South? Ok.
    Last edited by Blindy; 03-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UT - My only four Pro Bowl seasons thing was mostly a comment on the idea that he should've had three Super Bowl rings, when he's really only played five seasons.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marshall "The God" Newhouse's journey continues, this time he is going to try and get Derek Carr killed over in Oakland. How does this man continue to find jobs?

Best news of free agency for the Giants by far. This is even better than signing Brandon Marshall for peanuts.

Now the only question left is what to do with Flowers, who was AWFUL at left tackle. I say move him to right tackle and see how he does. If he sucks there as well, cut his ass.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bennett's got a big mouth, wonder if he will like Rodgers considering Bennett in all of his chances chewed out Cutler and consistently threw him under the bus. Granted Rodgers dumps have more competition in them than Cutler but still.....Jared Cook must have been asking for the moon but after shit QBs in TEN and STL/LA, why ruin something so good in GB? Now he'll maybe match onto another team that's unproven at QB and revert back to the ordinary at best TE he's been for years.
    Rodgers sitting on the can is a a better QB than Jay Cutler is actually taking the field. So I doubt Bennett will give him too much flak.

Cook was perfectly fine for us last season and I can't imagine he was asking for more money than Martellus "pay for the ring" Bennett.
    21 million over 3 years, which was pretty much the same offer the Pats gave him. I guess Bennett thought he was worth more than that and found out different. He also might have figured he would get to catch the ball more in the Packer offense.

Cook asked for 18 million over 3 years.
    Last edited by The Real LT; 03-11-2017 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao @ Geno Smith being a successor to anything. That dudes career ended when he got his jaw broke. He's a bum, Blindy and will always be. The Jets royally fucked themselves when they drafted him. They should've always stood by Mark Sanchez. 2013s draft fucked the Jets up big time. They had 2 picks in the first round. 9th and 13th. They picked Dee Millner first and Sheldon Richardson next. Then to put the cherry on top, they took Geno in the second round. That draft is so frustrating.

Yes, Richardson was a great pick BUT if character meant shit, the Jets shouldn't have been a bunch of pussies and drafted Leveon Bell. Yeah, every team fucked that one up. So fine. But still, Deandre Hopkins was another pick that was made AFTER the Jets had 2 first round picks. The Jets had THREE picks before Bell was picked. But fine, who knew right? But look at the DBs the Jets picked Millner over. The fucking Honey Badger for one. Yes, character and injuries and blah blah blah. But man, the Jets had everything in those first 2 rounds and fucking blew it. Shit, they even blew it in the 3rd round. That draft crippled this organization because they missed so damn bad. A team who has never had a reliable TE also passed on Eiffert and Kelce. I'm pretty sure I remember Blindy loving Eiffert, but man. What a terrible draft that was for them.

Geno Smith is garbage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...cid=spartandhp

So not only was Brock a complete scrub last season, he showed he has a piss poor attitude. Even fucking GENO SMITH handled his situation with more class and dignity.

Any wonder why no teams are showing interest?

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geno Smith is the best QB the Jets have had since Pennington. There I said it.

I liked Eifert for the 13th pick but like with Gronk and Graham, these TEs take so many hits by lunging safeties that their bodies simply do not hold up.

Brian Winters was the team's 3rd round pick that draft, after being absolute horseass the first 3 seasons, a light came on and Winters at least for run opening actually played well. He got himself a nice contract extension. He was supposedly rated as one of the best guards this past year, how I don't fucking know. But it is what it is.

CK, I am a little nervous about the Jets being alongside the Pats for the services of Donta Hightower. How is his work ethic? Hate to get another Revis case where after a ring, he tallies off and doesn't give a damn much anymore. He's very injury plagued which is a bad sign but I hope he is an adequate pass coverage LB given David Harris cannot do it anymore there. I know I liked him out of the draft.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geno Smith is the best QB the Jets have had since Pennington. There I said it.

I liked Eifert for the 13th pick but like with Gronk and Graham, these TEs take so many hits by lunging safeties that their bodies simply do not hold up.

Brian Winters was the team's 3rd round pick that draft, after being absolute horseass the first 3 seasons, a light came on and Winters at least for run opening actually played well. He got himself a nice contract extension. He was supposedly rated as one of the best guards this past year, how I don't fucking know. But it is what it is.

CK, I am a little nervous about the Jets being alongside the Pats for the services of Donta Hightower. How is his work ethic? Hate to get another Revis case where after a ring, he tallies off and doesn't give a damn much anymore. He's very injury plagued which is a bad sign but I hope he is an adequate pass coverage LB given David Harris cannot do it anymore there. I know I liked him out of the draft.
    He's no Jerod Mayo, but they thought high enough of him to get rid of Collins. He's won 2 rings and he got better after his first one, but I have no idea how he'll do after two. The fact he hasn't signed with anyone yet, shows he's not getting the money he thought he was going to get. The Patriots still have enough cap room to sign him...depends if he wants the extra couple of bucks from the Jets.

Thread Information