Thread: Career Exchange

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Career Exchange

I've noticed that anytime a WWE "superstar" is released, many of the fans are upset because supposedly the company dropped the ball on them. However, I'm not sure if some fans realize that the top of the WWE pecking order is sort of like capitalism. There is an economic shift when someone is moved up from the mid cards into the main events; someone has to move down. So I've come up with a game of sorts. Jack Swagger was just released and some are saying he should have been a much bigger star. Lets say Swagger is tearing it up on RAW or Smackdown as a current world champ or multi-time former champ. Whose career do you sacrifice in order for Swagger to achieve greatness? Same goes for other somewhat recent releases/resignations. Who would you sacrifice for a Wrestlemania main eventing Cody Rhodes or Wade Barrett?

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Career Exchange

I don't care for this thread, but I'd love to hear you explain what you call " sort of like capitalism " in regards to the WWE.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont understand the thread, lol

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it and thought the premise is pretty straightforward. The jist is there's not enough room at the top for everyone. So if we'd chosen to go all-in with Swagger, Barrett, Miz, etc. then who would we bump (either now or at a past point in time) to make room at the top? For example, we go all-in on Swagger... so Sheamus loses his sustained main event push/run in the early 2010s.

I think this could be actually a fun thought exercise.

A tricky thing is you'll have to contend with some constants that probably will never be bumped from the top AND are still active (i.e., Cena, Orton) so they eat up time and space in the main programs and spotlight.

EDIT: here's one... Give Miz Punk's spot for the epic year-long title run. I honestly think it could've been HTM-level epicness x1000.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends. I don't think it always means someone gets "demoted" but rather "side-tracked". I think Cena is in that position now. He's not "demoted" but rather side-tracked while Bray takes his spot at the top.

Same thing with JBL in my eyes. He was the Champion, though far from the "biggest" sell on the card. Owens seems to be in that area too. He's being given his time, so guys like Reigns and Lesnar are side tracked for the time being.

I'm not of the mindset that every wrestler released had the ball dropped on them. I look back and feel there were times where they seemed to have "tried". However things may not have clicked the way he and the creative wanted? The crowd eventually didn't warm up to him. He had some decent points like being a world champion and "We The People" which got him the loudest works with the crowd he'd ever had at times.

JBL is a perfect example of a wrestler who was never a great in-ring technician or the most entertaining wrestler. He wasn't some compelling figure and personality that you just had to see. However when he was given a chance to shine solo, he really showed himself on the mic. Had the right entrance and swagger when entering the ring as JBL. The limo entrance just tied it all together with his mic work. The fact that he enjoyed being a heel and was good at it turned him into a guy fans wanted to see get beaten. They at least cared to see him beaten. It's like Triple H once said to young talent, whether they cheer you or boo you, you just want the live audience to care. Because if it's silent when you go out there, that's the problem. More often than not, it wasn't completely silent when JBL entered to boos. So I believe the WWE found something there with a solid heel champion to keep depth on that roster.

Ultimately I think when Swagger was given his big chance and other chances, the crowd just didn't get invested in him as "the man to beat", a great heel or a babyface. It doesn't mean he did anything horribly wrong or didn't try. Some guys just don't connect all the right dots that the crowd and WWE need at the time they're given to shine. Everyone can't be champion.

The one guys that always sticks with me as someone the WWE dropped the "big title" ball on was Owen Hart. Great in ring performer. Great heel attitude. Crowd hated him. He should have been champion in a great back and forth series with Bret Hart to at least help prove he was just about Hart's equal. Then he dies as a result of a stupid gimmick when he could have been one of the better champions even if not as great as Bret.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm not sure whats so confusing about this thread.
    Simplistically, if there is only room at the top for say, 12 full time main eventers, in order to add one you have to delete one. So if you inserted Jack into that elite 12, who do you pull out of that class? Easy.

Myself, I don't quite see Jack as a main event guy anymore. Sure, WWE has a lot to do with that and how he was handled. But Jackie boy also has to own a lot of it. He screwed himself out of a top slot. He isn't great on the Mic to begin with and add to that his personal problems at the time, you have a guy who is a great wrestler but not a whole lot else. I think he needs an entire rebuild to get him even into an upper tier mid card guy. I like Swagger. I always have. But I sure wouldn't sacrifice AJ, Bray, Braun, Owens, Orton, Joe, Cena or even Ambrose, Rollins, or Roman for him. And with the talent they have I'd give a middle title to Cesaro, Rusev, Miz, Dean, Jericho, Big E, or Sami before Swagger. I'd gladly trade Swagger for Baron Corbin or Dolph though. And Dolph is a maybe because he, while past his most useful days, is still charismatic and puts on a decent match. He is just forever spinning his wheels in the WWE.
    SO if Corbin is now in that Main Event class, I would swap him for Swagger but still would elevate a whole host of other guys up into Corbins actual slot and put Swagger onto the bottom of that mid tier list. So Cesaro or Rusev or Big E get elevated into that ME status and then Jack takes THEIR spot in the bottom of the mid card.
    I just really don't like Corbin so I really don't care except to get rid of him.
    -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
    -FOREVER A WARRIOR
    -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
    -KCCO
    ---θ---
    Currently playing:
    PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
    Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
    IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
    Feel free to add me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantT316 View Post
    It depends. I don't think it always means someone gets "demoted" but rather "side-tracked". I think Cena is in that position now. He's not "demoted" but rather side-tracked while Bray takes his spot at the top.

Same thing with JBL in my eyes. He was the Champion, though far from the "biggest" sell on the card. Owens seems to be in that area too. He's being given his time, so guys like Reigns and Lesnar are side tracked for the time being.

I'm not of the mindset that every wrestler released had the ball dropped on them. I look back and feel there were times where they seemed to have "tried". However things may not have clicked the way he and the creative wanted? The crowd eventually didn't warm up to him. He had some decent points like being a world champion and "We The People" which got him the loudest works with the crowd he'd ever had at times.

JBL is a perfect example of a wrestler who was never a great in-ring technician or the most entertaining wrestler. He wasn't some compelling figure and personality that you just had to see. However when he was given a chance to shine solo, he really showed himself on the mic. Had the right entrance and swagger when entering the ring as JBL. The limo entrance just tied it all together with his mic work. The fact that he enjoyed being a heel and was good at it turned him into a guy fans wanted to see get beaten. They at least cared to see him beaten. It's like Triple H once said to young talent, whether they cheer you or boo you, you just want the live audience to care. Because if it's silent when you go out there, that's the problem. More often than not, it wasn't completely silent when JBL entered to boos. So I believe the WWE found something there with a solid heel champion to keep depth on that roster.

Ultimately I think when Swagger was given his big chance and other chances, the crowd just didn't get invested in him as "the man to beat", a great heel or a babyface. It doesn't mean he did anything horribly wrong or didn't try. Some guys just don't connect all the right dots that the crowd and WWE need at the time they're given to shine. Everyone can't be champion.

The one guys that always sticks with me as someone the WWE dropped the "big title" ball on was Owen Hart. Great in ring performer. Great heel attitude. Crowd hated him. He should have been champion in a great back and forth series with Bret Hart to at least help prove he was just about Hart's equal. Then he dies as a result of a stupid gimmick when he could have been one of the better champions even if not as great as Bret.

The getting "side tracked" is a valid point. The Undertakers career has been 95% side tracked by supernatural enemies like Kane and his Wrestlemania streak as opposed to chasing titles. Feel free to side track a career, however, getting side tracked doesn't always work. Sometimes the fans just forget about a side tracked guy.
    By the way, don't take my capitalism remark as anything other than an analogy. I am not supporting or criticizing capitalism.

I think if the WWE would have pushed John Morrison into Alberto Del Rio's spot, Johny would be in consideration for headlining the last three Wrestlemanias. Sure, supposedly the guy is a bit of a diva(according to dirt sheets/take it for what its worth) but there has been worse attitudes at the top.
    Last edited by bischoffs brain; 03-03-2017 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    EDIT: here's one... Give Miz Punk's spot for the epic year-long title run. I honestly think it could've been HTM-level epicness x1000.
    Really, Punk should have held the title from MITB 2011 right though to WrestleMania 29 (631 days / 1 year, 8 months, 22 days), without the Del Rio title win and the Triple H/Kevin Nash bullshit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    Really, Punk should have held the title from MITB 2011 right though to WrestleMania 29 (631 days / 1 year, 8 months, 22 days), without the Del Rio title win and the Triple H/Kevin Nash bullshit.
    Absolutely. Let Punk keep it and either go over or never even go up against the Rock. Punk had the longest title run in the modern era which is fantastic. However, when the record title run ends to a guy who only wrestled 2 matches in the prior 8-9 years or so, that is not fantastic. So take out the Rock's winning at the Rumble that year and let Punk main event Wrestlemania like he should have. The Rock/Cena match didn't need the title belt just like the upcoming Goldberg/Lesnar would be better off without the belt also. Also, the hardcore fans wouldn't crap on it so much if it was just treated as a "exhibition match" without a title.

Had they not let Morrison get away from the company, Morrison could have been built up enough to be Punk's opponent that year at Mania.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffs brain View Post
    Had they not let Morrison get away from the company, Morrison could have been built up enough to be Punk's opponent that year at Mania.
    Or they could have built Punk/Bryan into a proper heel/face cross-brand feud (instead of whatever that thing was that we got in mid-2012, which had very good matches admittedly), with Bryan triumphing and winning both belts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or they could have built Punk/Bryan into a proper heel/face cross-brand feud (instead of whatever that thing was that we got in mid-2012, which had very good matches admittedly), with Bryan triumphing and winning both belts.
    Well, they did the best thing for Daniel Bryan's career completely by accident when Sheamus beat him in 13 seconds. That's how the WWE is most of the time. They try so hard to write epic storylines and they usually don't live up to the billing. The short match for the lesser title had kind of been a thing at Wrestlemania. First, Chavo Guerrero lost the ECW belt in like 15 seconds to Kane because they figured the fans could only care about so many titles and nobody cared about the WWE/ECW title by that point. The fans did not vocally crap all over that outcome. In fact, that was the first(maybe second)nail in the coffin of Chavo's WWE career. Was this their original intention when Daniel Bryan lost his lesser title in 13 seconds? Did they believe that all the Daniel Bryan love would go away and now they could concentrate on getting guys that fit the WWE mold over? I'm not much into conspiracy thinking, but I don't believe that creative had good intentions when they booked that match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffs brain View Post
    Well, they did the best thing for Daniel Bryan's career completely by accident when Sheamus beat him in 13 seconds. That's how the WWE is most of the time. They try so hard to write epic storylines and they usually don't live up to the billing. The short match for the lesser title had kind of been a thing at Wrestlemania. First, Chavo Guerrero lost the ECW belt in like 15 seconds to Kane because they figured the fans could only care about so many titles and nobody cared about the WWE/ECW title by that point. The fans did not vocally crap all over that outcome. In fact, that was the first(maybe second)nail in the coffin of Chavo's WWE career. Was this their original intention when Daniel Bryan lost his lesser title in 13 seconds? Did they believe that all the Daniel Bryan love would go away and now they could concentrate on getting guys that fit the WWE mold over? I'm not much into conspiracy thinking, but I don't believe that creative had good intentions when they booked that match.
    Honestly, I've never understood "push them to a World title, in order to bury them" logic. Sure, they might design things for guys to fit into a certain spot and by extension only get over to a certain point, but if WWE really didn't want him (or anyone else), or didn't want him in a top spot, they simply would never have signed him or given him any sort of push or airtime at all. There's no obligation for WWE to sign a guy or give them any airtime or a title at all, regardless of their popularity or repute outside of WWE.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I've never understood "push them to a World title, in order to bury them" logic. Sure, they might design things for guys to fit into a certain spot and by extension only get over to a certain point, but if WWE really didn't want him (or anyone else), or didn't want him in a top spot, they simply would never have signed him or given him any sort of push or airtime at all. There's no obligation for WWE to sign a guy or give them any airtime or a title at all, regardless of their popularity or repute outside of WWE.
    I don't think they think past Wrestlemania some years. Its like there is so much pressure to come up with material for an epic Wrestlemania, that the consequences of the show aren't thought about until the Monday Afternoon before Raw. I don't think McMahon saw a top guy in Daniel Bryan, but he didn't dislike him to the point of not giving him a job and a run with what was definitely the "lesser" title at that point in the company. McMahon probably just saw him as another guy, but the fans saw different and were pissed at the 13 second match. Sometimes they listen to the fans and this time they created a star by accident.

Thread Information