Thread: New Console Smell

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Console Smell

So the Switch is about to come out. Not planning on getting it for a year or so, but do you guys tend to buy them on launch day? Reserve and all that Gamestop bullshit? I think I've only ever done this twice. GBA I heard about a few weeks before and managed to walk into a Kmart and got a white one. For the Gamecube the store was doing something weird. They had a limited amount and drew names out to decide who got to buy them. My name wasn't chosen. Went hope depressed. Then got a phone call and said I was picked. What? Either I messed up or someone backed out. But I got it!

Ever since they went away from carts I've kinda been weary, thinking the first batch might have kinks in it. So I'm comfortable waiting it out. That and there's usually not a lot to choose from at launch. So what about you stupid idiots... do you buy them on launch or not?

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Console Smell

Definitely waiting a year or two before I get the Switch.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last console I got on release day was the original DS, because there was actually a pretty good launch lineup.

I've not bothered since then. I left the Wii for a while and the 3DS, Wii U and PS4 all had rubbish launches.

I'm in no rush at all for the Switch. I'm not paying 300 just to play a Zelda game I can already play on the Wii U.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I got the PS2 pretty soon after its release, but I'm not sure if it was on the exact release day. My parents bought it Ditto for some of the older Nintendo handhelds.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I got the PS2, PS3, and 360 at launch. Maybe the N64 as well but I can't remember.

I want a Switch that I'm certain of but with all the price gouging Nintendo is doing on the systems accessories I won't be getting one any time soon. Besides they need to show me the software before I fall into the Nintendo trap of purchasing their systems and watching them collect dust on a shelf.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got N64 and PS1 on launch, and that's it as far as launch systems go. Had Battle Arena Toshinden, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer, Wipeout as far as early PS1 games go......N64 had War Gods, Super Mario 64, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Pilotwings 64.

Looking back, Super Mario 64 was the only game I liked out of N64 though Pilotwings had it's moments. Never got Turok as a little kid and War Gods was absolute cheese and hilarity that my brother and I fucked around with the game and just laughed at the animations.

Battle Arena Toshinden was good and had it's cheesy moments as well....never got Jumping Flash, Wipeout was hard for me and Ridge Racer wasn't too bad.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS1 reminds me that it came out on my birthday. At least in 'Merica. I don't think I got it on launch, but I remember getting it pretty early as I recall it having those weird DVD-like boxes instead of the jewel cases it had later on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to say the Switch is becoming more alluring as we approach it's launch.

Anyways, I rarely buy a system on launch. The only exception was the Wii and that was more or less on my brother's insistence and ability to manipulate my old man into getting anything he wanted. So we had a Wii with Zelda, Wii Play, Rayman Rabbids, Red Steel and Metal Slugs Anthology.

The only other console I bought around launch was the Nintendo DS. I was so excited about that system, I found any excuse to talk about it. In fact, when I had the opportunity to make a tech presentation, I based it on the DS and even made a magazine about the DS as well. (A B Grade magazine FWIW, I was a horrible editor) So in the end, I didn't even wait for it's launch in Australia, I imported from Japan with a copy of Mario 64 DS. Anytime I play any of those mini-games, I'm instantly transported to 2004 with Songs About Jane, Hot Fuss and Hollaback Girl and all the tracks from then echoing in my mind. I was hardcore into the DS and bought around 20 games in it's first year alone, including imports from other countries so I could have them early or at all. I still remember the games I missed out on like Kirby's Canvas Curse, Sonic Rush and Electroplankton as games I wanted.

As far as the best launches go, the N64 in March of 1997 has to be right up there. As a six-year-old I wasn't aware of delays or anything of the sort, all I knew was that there was a new system launching with games like Mario 64, Pilotwings, Turok Dinosaur Hunter (such a bad-ass game at that age), Crusin' USA (an arcade racing game in your own home?! what's a Sega Saturn?), Wave Race, FIFA etc. It was brand new tech and the possibilities seemed endless. My cousin who was like a best friend to me had one and I just remember every school holidays was just an extended session of N64 goodness. It seemed like every trip, he'd have a new game to show off and he was far more skilled despite being 5 around that time, so watching him blow through Lylat Wars or Mario Kart was so impressive. In fact, I'd still be impressed if I saw a younger relative pull something similar off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever since the Super Nintendo I have always got the Nintendo systems on launch. Just a tradition for that I don't do with other systems. The Switch will be no different.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been here thinking about it for a few minutes now, and I don't think I've ever got a console at the launch. Usually my parents would get me a new console for Christmas, so I never got when one they came out. That was usually a year or two after the new systems launched. Pretty sure my PS4 was purchased less than a year after the release. For now that's my closest.

As for the Switch, I felt a lot of hype for it initially. The idea of Nintendo fixing their mistakes with the Wii U and creating new IPS was tempting. Although the presentation wasn't the best for, I nearly ordered it when the pre-orders went up. As someone who isn't the biggest Legend of Zelda fan, I can't justify making the purchase right now. Once the library is bigger, I'll get it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would honestly pick up the system day 1 if I only had to buy the system and Zelda. But I cant just buy a new system for only myself. My wife and kids would wanna play plus my friends and I always feel obligated to get everything I need for a system right off the bat. I would need another Joy Con controller which is $80. I would definitely need at least one Pro controller which is $70. Plus the Joy Con grip $15, a cade for the tablet $30, and gotta have a charger for the controllers $30... After all that I'd be looking at around $600. It just feels like too much at the moment. They should have packed in a game with the system to make it more enticing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the PSVR on release day (or very close to, at least) but that's technically an accessory. My dad might have picked up the Master System at launch, possibly... but that would be about it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SM? View Post
    Ever since the Super Nintendo I have always got the Nintendo systems on launch. Just a tradition for that I don't do with other systems. The Switch will be no different.
    Did you get it? And did you lick the cartridge? I assume the sticker label.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Did you get it? And did you lick the cartridge? I assume the sticker label.
    I got it, but no I didn't lick it. I wouldn't have anyways, but after hearing how bad it taste made me even more sure not to.
    surrender

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite being on vacation, I tracked down a Nintendo Switch and bought it.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never bought a console at launch. My parents got me an NES for Christmas when I was 5, so that was like 3 or 4 years after it came out in North America. I got a Sega Genesis from my uncle, I was gifted a Nintendo 64 about a year and a half after it came out, I bought a PS2 myself about a year after it came out, decided to try out the Xbox 360 Elite and found one of those a few months after they came out (they were sold out everywhere for a little while), and I bought a PS4 about a year after it came out.

I also have a Wii but it was my wife's before we met. I don't know when she got it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, because this is something I've never done for any console or system.

How come?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Just out of curiosity, because this is something I've never done for any console or system.

How come?
    Have you ever done it for anything else?

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jericho View Post
    Have you ever done it for anything else?
    Not that I can immediately remember. I've always thought practicing curation, patience and having a little bit of skepticism in the face of marketing hype is healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that I can immediately remember. I've always thought practicing curation, patience and having a little bit of skepticism in the face of marketing hype is healthy.
    Fair enough. I'm oddly enough reading a book on this type of behavior for work right now and how products enter the market through different types of buyers.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, because this is something I've never done for any console or system.How come?
    For one, I am a big Nintendo mark. Also, kind of an OCD type thing where I feel I have to do it because I have done it with every other Nintendo system for my whole life. I honestly wish I didn't do it nearly every time I do.
    surrender

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's seems the sweet spot for most consoles are after that 2 year mark. Launch games are hitting that 20 dollar mark and there are more options in sales in the digital store front. Finally getting a PS4 for me was all the more exciting knowing I had a decent backlog of games I need to get to. Additionally with having Playstation Plus, you can go to the PS Store in your browser and snatch up the PS4 games there. So I had many things to sort through from the start.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For one, I am a big Nintendo mark. Also, kind of an OCD type thing where I feel I have to do it because I have done it with every other Nintendo system for my whole life. I honestly wish I didn't do it nearly every time I do.
    I think Nintendo has a pretty good reputation for quality hardware. Other than blowing into the NES carts I can't recall hearing about any issues like RROD. So if you're gonna get the system anyway, I see nothing wrong with always getting it at launch. I look forward to the next gen where life gets a hold of you and you somehow can't get it at launch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's the case anymore. DS Lites had hinges that wore themselves out from normal use. Wiis had faulty optical drives that couldn't read dual-layer games like SSBB. Nintendo offered up free repairs for both systems because they were manufacturing defects. The original model of 3DS will get imprinted with the plastic bezel on the bottom touch screen, causing vertical scratch marks near the edges of the top screen. They're currently offering free repairs for the faulty Switch controllers because of another defect.

The hard plastic dock + cheap plastic screen combo of the Switch that causes scratches from normal use has still yet to be addressed.

Thread Information