Release: March 3rd 2017
    Platform: Switch and Wii U

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Only a few days out from Zelda and all we need to know is that the critics predictably love it.

That isn't news, the critics generally love the series with Skyward Sword being rated as one of the greatest games of all-time. While I enjoyed Skyward Sword, a lot of those ratings were inflated and there was no way the game could live up to the hype.

Will Breath of the Wild be any different?

Will it be a system seller for the Switch?

Usually I'm not one to make bold predictions, but in this case, I'm going into Friday with the expectation that I'm coming home with an instant classic and a new all-time favourite. It's very rare for me to have great expectations, especially in gaming and the last time I felt this strongly about a game would have been Persona 4 way back in 2009. For it to succeed, it needs to have a ton of environments, a subtle but rich lore, great puzzles, great adventure elements and the best combat in Zelda history. Without seeing too much footage, I'm going to follow my gut and say it will tick those boxes and then some.

Enough to sell me on the Switch? Nah, unless something comes out in the next 24 hours that warns me off the Wii U version, I'll treat Breath of the Wild as a hurrah to one of the most conflicted systems I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Should be great, and I look forward to talking through this game with all you guys and girls.

vCash
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting it for the Switch. I hope it is as great as it seems it will be. I don't think it will be any better than the Wii U version other than better graphics.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks great. I am planning on buying a Wii U for the boys for Xmas, so I'll get this game sometime next year for myself

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazon CA still hasn't shipped my Wii U copy or my strategy guide.. I'm getting nervous.

But yeah. I'm beyond stoked. Zelda has needed to go back to its open world, exploration based roots with a 3D setting for a long time now, and this is going to be the game to bring the 30+ year old franchise to the next level.

If I love the game, which I'm assuming I will, I'll buy it again when I get the Switch later on. I'll be fine playing a Wii U copy for the time, even if it will be graphically inferior.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debating on whether to get this for the WiiU now or wait until there's at least 3-5 games to play for the Switch. When they did the dual-release for Twilight Princess I got it for the Gamecube, but for whatever reason I'm not dying to play this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been hearing that the Wii U version of BotW has some very noticeable framerate issues. Only problem is that I'm not sure if this is based on the final retail version or the leaked version you can play on a modded system. Also, there is supposed to be a day 1 patch that may or may not iron out some of these issues.

By the way, if you didn't preorder a Switch... I have a feeling you'll have to wait months before you get a chance to play Zelda on said system. I mean, a shortage of a new Nintendo console is a given.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were plenty of Switch's available when I went in, but I had to resist the new console smell and give the Wii U a fond farewell.

Bought Breath of the Wild along with a 32GB USB so I could put some Virtual Console titles on External Storage. After fumbling around with all the data (the Wii U made the USB my default save, so I had to wait awhile so I could have all my data on the system itself).

What I enjoy about the game is that it throws you into the thick of the action extremely quickly. You wake up in some cave, make your way out into the wilderness and straight away you're informed to take on four mini-dungeons. These serve as tutorials, introducing the player to some of the new skills they can rely on. There's some neat concepts here, a gravity gun-like ability that allows you to manipulate loose objects either as a weapon or platform, bombs that function like remote mines and the ability to suspend objects for a set time. As I said cool ideas, but it remains to be seen whether they'll be used in cool ways, outside of obvious examples, I've found little reason to use these relics 3 hours into the game.

The tutorial takes as long as you want. I reckon if you knew what you were doing, it could be done well inside 30 minutes, but curious gamers could take up to 3-4 hours. Personally I took around 2 and that was because I experimented with the order of dungeons. I got stuck trying to get to the one I wanted to go to and just sucked it up by going with the closer mini-dungeons. In the end, the game was really cool about informing me what I had to do. I stumbled across a cabin which contained a clue and then while I was exploring, I came across some wild boars that I needed to hunt in order to obtain the necessary equipment.

It's moments like these that have made this Zelda really refreshing.

But then the game ups the ante. Once you complete the dungeons, you're filled in on the story and given access to the rest of the land which is just crawling with tons of things to do. I just stole a moblin's horse and made tracks to Kakariko Village to meet up with Impa. Then I arrived at another town later where I was informed about all these other villages like a Goron and a Gerudo Village, I honestly can't wait to see these for myself.

The game is living up to the hype. Only drawbacks so far is the frame-rate which can be very clunky at times. Normally this wouldn't bug me, but after playing Nioh it's pretty jarring.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some boss fights have brutal frame drops that make controlling Link difficult. I think they did the best job they could with the hardware they had to work with.

I will love playing this on CEMU when it's ready.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the frame rate issues only on the Wii U version?

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are massive frame rate issues on Switch when you play at 900p, I've seen most people agree that the handheld mode is a much better way to play the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only seen a few bad framerate issues on the Wii U and the worst was when you first get introduced to the full open world after coming out of the cave. Otherwise it hasnt been terrible. You can tell when the framerate goes wonky but it doesn't stay that way for very long.

I love it so far. When they say you can go anywhere, you can go anywhere.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting massive drops in any areas that have a high number of NPCs. Probably because they all have their own path-finding. It hovers around 15 fps just walking around some villages. High wind is also a frame rate killer. It rattles the foliage and the Wii U CPU can't handle it at all. Sometimes the depth of field effect from targeting enemies causes frame drops in combat, and those frame drops aren't as severe as the others, but they are unpredictable, and they have messed up my aim with projectiles several times.

I think this is a good game otherwise, and really captures the fun of exploring. It reminds me of the fun I had exploring the world in Wind Waker, which is the only other 3D Zelda game I've enjoyed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finished this, but the game really loses its appeal after a few days. The lack of unique enemies is a big negative. The last 2/3rds of the game I ran from as many fights as I could because the combat isn't particularly fun, and there's no reward for winning a fight because the loot drops are so worthless. The side quests aren't rewarding either. If you've played other 3D Zeldas, you'll be familiar with unrewarding quests, except now they're even worse because you won't get heart pieces as a reward for any of them. The shrine puzzles are a lot of fun, but so many shrines are empty or contain the same boring fight inside of them.

I explored the game going tower to tower and had fun doing it that way, but I've noticed the world outside of those pathways is mostly empty. This is another problem I have with 3D Zelda games, they seem to stretch the world out just for the sake of making it bigger when it is more fun in a smaller and denser form.

The survival mechanics are fun at first but they started to ruin my enjoyment of the game. I'd rather not have to constantly swap clothes. It's not a challenge to put on a coat when I'm in the cold. It's just tedious to spend time in the menu changing clothes so often. Why does everything need its own set of armor? You get so many pieces of armor that it becomes hell to navigate your menu just to find the proper piece to switch to. The weapon durability is a trash game mechanic as well. It's just another reason to run from every fight. Even if you get a good weapon drop, it's going to break after two fights, so why bother?

I guess there just isn't as much variety in the game as it seems at the start. And it slowly starts to feel like past Zelda games, which is a huge negative for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breath of the Wild is the game that LoZ fans have been asking for ever since the Space World 2000 presentation that showcased a CG fight scene between Gannon & Link. In a lot of ways, it feels like the real follow up from Ocarina of Time, where they've been able to take the 3D environment and make it into an adventure for players.

Let's begin with what they got right...

The tutorial.

One of the biggest complaints about Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword is how slow the opening is. You've got to sit down and watch all these characters talk with the only distraction being chores and more chores. There's nothing like sitting down for a gaming session and the escapism it provides only to be met with a bunch of busy work. Breath of the Wild removes all these unplesantries, placing you in this area that serves as a sample for the rest of the game with a lot of indirect messages. For instance, you learn quite quickly that it's better to complete shrines that are closest to you and explore near by regions than to rush into freezing environments. It was well paced and was a great introduction to what laid ahead.

Climbing
    Arguably the most important aspect of the game, Nintendo did a great job of making climbing an enjoyable component. Not only does it challenge your ability to make good judgements, but it rewards you either by giving you Korok Seeds which you can exchange for more inventory space, a valuable feature in this game, but also a great view of the surrounding environments. Quite often whenever I'd arrive in foreign areas, I'd seek out the highest ground, make my way there, pull out the Sheikah Slate and place a bunch of stamps to areas of interest. The game provides you with the freedom to make your own choices and each area contains some sort of reward. Furthermore, transport always feels thrilling as you can either choose to glide down, or surf on your shield. Both methods feel enjoyable and turn what could have been a cumbersome problem into an enjoyable one that adds to the theme of adventure.

Cooking
    Not only is it an enjoyable distraction, it's essential to the experience as you'll need it to survive harsh environments or give you an edge in battle.

Costumes
    Not only for cosmetic purposes, but because most costume provides a benefit over another and they're customisable.

Horses
    One of the best aspects of my playthrough was wondering around Hyrule, being surrounded by Moblins on horseback, only to shoot one of them down, steal their horse, and go on a thrilling escape to Kakariko. The fact some horses are better than others and you can register them at stables turns what was often an under-utilised aspect into a very convenient mode of transportation.

Shrine Puzzles
    The game has some fantastic physics based puzzles and while most of them are simple enough, the real reward is going after the treasure chest in all 120 Shrines.

And many more. While the game has some room for improvement, it's important to stress the positives the game has and the amount of depth that goes into each interaction. Whether it's you against a bunch of moblins and having to figure out how to exploit the environment or learning more about each village and solving a bunch of problems, the game is just loaded with content that has yet to bore me. In fact, I find it hard to believe any other game will top my experience with the Gerudo section of the game.

Having to figure that out with only the information the game provided was one of the most satisfying experiences I had with gaming and the whole saga from infiltrating the Yiga Clan base to gaining control of the Divine Beast was certainly one of the biggest highlights the game had to offer.

It's an excellent game, and it's tough to imagine anything else beating it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came off of Horizon: Zero Dawn and jumped right into Breath of the Wild. Immensely enjoyable so far. I am super enjoying just how vast the world is. I'm not overly far into the game as of yet, and the fact that everything can be explored at leisure means that I'm not likely to advance the plot at any great pace.

Part of me wants to get through the game in a decent amount of time though, as I still have Nier: Automata in the queue, but I'm not in any rush.

As for the issue of frame rate issues, I've noticed it sporadically, mostly just in area where there's a lot of tall grass, but even then, it's not every time. I'm on the Switch though, so can't speak to the Wii U issues. I can see it being worked on though. Nintendo's going to want to ensure that this game is as polished as can be.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

Spoiler

Thread Information