Release: February 7th 2017
    Platforms: PS4

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nioh

I know I should have had this thread up much sooner, but before I knew it, the game was out and I was balls deep in yokai.

So from what I'm aware @Blindy @RagnarokMike you guys both finished this recently. Now that you've taken a few days from the game, what were your final thoughts? Also what style of player were you? Were you a tank, were you agile, did you unleash your inner ninja or something else entirely? Favourite weapons and armour sets?

And of course has anyone else had a chance to play it?

So diving into my experience with the game, I first got a chance to play the game around Christmas with the Final Beta. I only got to play the one session and given the amount of times I died, it felt more like Groundhog Day than a game about guardian spirits and samurai. I still enjoyed what I played, but I didn't even make it up to the final boss, that's how lousy I was at the game.

Never the less I dived in and after really struggling early dying at least a dozen times to the opening couple of bosses' I eventually got the hang of it and made decent progress through out the rest of the game. The big game changer was the Sloth Talisman. The ability to slow down and telegraph enemy movement made each fight a breeze and gave me enough time to cast all the necessary buffs to take down any boss that came my way.

Personally, I think the Sloth Talisman was OP and made a lot of boss fighters easier than regular battles. I'm not sure if Team Ninja can refine the item to find a balance, but I did find I was relying on it heavily towards the end as I wanted to finish the main campaign ASAP.

There's other negatives I can raise as well, but I think focusing on them would be wrong because Nioh is a really enjoyable game and I really had a good time with it. Whether it was the ability to slice my enemies into pieces after I defeated them, trying to determine the right weapon sets and guardian sets for the mission ahead and just the amount of customization. Despite investing 50 hours of game-time in three weeks time, I feel like I barely scratched the surface and there is still so much to learn about the game.

I could write a thesis on why everybody should give this game a chance, for the time being I just wanted to talk about the yokai. Namely, the yokai that gave me the hardest time, which would have to be the Wheelmonk. Everytime I'd come across one, I'd underestimate it, would usually take a hit as I'd try and wittle down it's health only to realise it'd taken 50% of my HP. I always struggled with elemental damage and even at the end, I still had to use an elixer everytime I'd come across one. The other is Raven Tengu who just has a ton of tough patterns to dodge and would always pack a punch. Unless I used a Sloth on it, I'd barely escape with a slither of health.

Finally, I enjoyed killing the Biwa Boku Boku's the most. The music would always unnerve me and it's ability to summon enemies was such a nuisance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early candidate for GOTY for me, game does everything so well. I agree with you in the premise that the sloth talisman was rather OP altogether and I too relied upon it at times. Supposedly it's getting nerfed in a future patch so take that for what it is worth. Some aspects this game does better than Dark Souls, particularly the combat.

I found myself rotating towards the axe and I have no shame in saying I used the high stance axe like a crutch and was rather a one trick pony altogether with it.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was gonna pick a one trick pony, it'd be high stance spear, because it gives you a good distance slam (decent damage), followed up by the multi-jab, really effective when you can land it. I absolutely hated the owl enemies until I got a fire spear, as that move tears right through them and hits them enough times to light them on fire.

But even just the slam, some of the trickier fights, I'd run away, and as they ran at me, I'd hit them with that while I was still out of reach, then I'd run away and do it again. In the fight with Munishige and the other samurai, it's how I took out Munishige before worrying about the other guy.

I still used all of the weapons a great deal, but I'd often go spear and katana or double katana for boss fights.

And I too ended up relying on the sloth talisman, just because I'd end up getting annoyed with how long it was taking to wear down some later enemy's life with how much they were blocking and dodging...I tried not to, but once my patience runs out, I quit giving a fuck. But even with the sloth talisman, the fight with the Demon King and that ice chick was a right bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Thread Information