View Poll Results: Who would win the game?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chiefs

2 25.00%
  • Dolphins

6 75.00%

Thread: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - AFL Region - (4)Chiefs vs (5)Dolphins

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NFL's All Time Greatest Team - AFL Region - (4)Chiefs vs (5)Dolphins

Kansas City Chiefs

QB- Len Dawson
    RB-Jamal Charles
    FB-Tony Richardson
    WR-Dwayne Bowe
    WR-Chris Buford
    TE-Tony Gonzalez

OT-John Alt
    OG-Will Shields
    C-Tim Grunhard
    OG-Ed Budde
    OT-Dave Hill

DE-Buck Buchanan
    NT-Curley Culp
    DE-Neil Smith

OLB-Derrick Thomas
    ILB-Wille Lanier
    ILB-Derrick Johnson
    OLB-Bobby Bell

CB-Albert Lewis
    FS-Deron Cherry
    SS-Eric Berry
    CB-Dale Carter

K-Jan Sternud
    P-Jerrel Wilson
    KR-Dante Hall

Coach- Hank Stram

vs

Miami Dolphins

QB - Dan Marino
    RB - Mercury Morris
    FB -Larry Csonka
    WR - Mark Clayton
    WR - Mark Duper
    TE - Jim Mandich

OT - Richmond Webb
    OG - Larry Little
    OC - Dwight Stephenson
    OG - Bob Kuchenburg
    OT - Jake Long

DE - Jason Taylor
    DT - Bob Baumhower
    DT - Manny Fernandez
    DE - Cameron Wake

LB - Nick Buoniconti
    MLB - Zach Thomas
    OLB - AJ Duhe

CB - Sam Madison
    CB - Patrick Surtain
    FS - Jake Scott
    SS - Dick Anderson

K- Garo Yepremian
    P - Reggie Roby
    Returner - OJ McDuffie

Coach - Don Shula

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - AFL Region - (4)Chiefs vs (5)Dolphins

Once again this comes down to match ups for me and Kansas City wins just about every match up I can see here. There defense has no weaknesses and on offense they have two of the most unstoppable players in Jamal Charles and Tony Gonzalez. And their defense is EXACTLY the kind of defense built to stop this Dolphins team. As good as Csonka and the O line is I don't see them getting much running room between Buchanan, Culp, Johnson, Bell, and Lanier, and Marino is going to be facing CRAZY heat from Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith, not to mention Bobby Bell on the other side. And with the possible exception of Pittsburgh the Chiefs secondary may be the best all-around secondary in the tourney, leaving precious little room for the Marks brothers.

So even with the weak WR corps I see Kansas City taking this game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - AFL Region - (4)Chiefs vs (5)Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Once again this comes down to match ups for me and Kansas City wins just about every match up I can see here. There defense has no weaknesses and on offense they have two of the most unstoppable players in Jamal Charles and Tony Gonzalez. And their defense is EXACTLY the kind of defense built to stop this Dolphins team. As good as Csonka and the O line is I don't see them getting much running room between Buchanan, Culp, Johnson, Bell, and Lanier, and Marino is going to be facing CRAZY heat from Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith, not to mention Bobby Bell on the other side. And with the possible exception of Pittsburgh the Chiefs secondary may be the best all-around secondary in the tourney, leaving precious little room for the Marks brothers.

So even with the weak WR corps I see Kansas City taking this game.
    I think we might disagree again , although I want to look at it a little more as I think this is a pretty close matchup. I agree it would have to come down to Charles and Tony G because the Dolphins corners would flat take the receivers of Kansas City out of the game and not require much help. That's a huge problem for Kansas City as this allows the Dolphins to probably double Tony G on every single play.

Offensively the Dolphins would have some trouble , and I think the Chiefs defense is one of the best collective units in this tournament but Marino has arguably the quickest release in this thing and it's not as if his line would struggle. He would have to audible every single time Thomas was lined up against Long though. I'm not sure though because I think the Chiefs offense can be contained as well , if the Chiefs had any receiver that would demand some extra attention on some snaps and free up Gonzalez I would take them in a heartbeat.

This game could go into overtime for me. I need to take some time to go back and forth.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Jamaal, but Priest Holmes has an argument as being better. I understand maybe the name value doesn't work as well and he played fewer years but Priest did more in his shorter amount of time. The receiving out of the backfield would help this Chiefs team especially.

I have other nitpicks too, as I somehow have never even heard of Chris Buford (his name being Burfurd didn't help) Otis Taylor was my receiver guess the whole way and beats Burfurd in all the measurables.

But I didn't submit the team. Anyway, I'm leaning Chiefs, but they aren't long for the tourney. I feel fine about my receiver matchup because i think the Dolphin secondary is pretty weak. I know that Bowe can beat Surtain so I'm just hoping Burfurd can duplicate Bowe and Lenny picks on him all game long. I like the o line for KC and I think they'll be breaking big holes open for Jamaal.

I love KC's defense more than the Dolphin offense, and I'm not in love with the Dolphin D.

Marino makes a few great plays like he always did against KC, but Chiefs win.
    Last edited by mikec; 02-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Otis Taylor probably would have been a better choice, I just overlooked him. It was hard finding top quality KC receivers.

I stand by Charles at RB though. More career rushing yards, with the Chiefs, higher yards per carry average, and he was no slouch catching the ball out of the backfield either. I remember quite a few games with Charles carrying the Chiefs offense. Holmes also had better offensive teams around him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah when Dwayne Bowe is the best receiver in franchise history.

Slight bias alert: I believe I've met Otis Taylor before. It was 20 years ago but I believe he was at a low attendance festival doing autographs and I had time to talk to him. I've always had in my head it was Otis, but I could be wrong now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Charles was the right choice as well , I believe with all things being equal that Charles is the far more talented and overall superior back. Injuries as such have played a role in his actual career but we here at All Time Greatest Teams league have the best possible medical staff to ensure none of these guys get injured in the most important tournament of a lifetime. Seriously though Charles is great , one of the most explosive backs in NFL history and someone who can change the game on any given snap.

Personally I would probably even go Okoye over Holmes , but I'm an Okoye mark and he wouldn't help the Chiefs much in the explosive category like Charles could.

Having said all that , I'm going with the Dolphins. I don't think the Chiefs receivers are good enough to consistently beat single coverage and I think that helps the Dolphins overall defense. I think Marino is a great passer of the football () and that his quick release would help him alleviate some of the pressure coming and he could do just enough to get to 20 points and beat the Chiefs , who I don't think can get to 20 with that passing offense.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's literally no argument for Okoye over Priest. Okoye had a great nickname but has been overrated by history. Didn't average 4 ypc, didn't score many TD's, and didn't contribute in the passing game. Larry Johnson is ahead of Okoye in most categories.

Some research after I posted told me that Jamal had been around longer than Priest so I appreciate his being the starter, but in 40 fewer games Priest has a similar number of carries, 1200 fewer yards (average per carry has always been JC's strength, getting fewer carries helps that), 30+ more rushing TD's, 30 fewer receptions, and only 100 fewer receiving yards. So Priest's impact on the Chiefs was higher per game than JC's, which is what my knee jerk reaction was

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argument is the one I already said , I'm an Okoye mark. Priest might have been the better player but I go out of my way to go back and watch Okoye play , I've never once in my life said to myself "damn I really should watch some Priest Holmes footage today".

I understand all the arguments for Priest too , but I would also argue from strictly memory and such that Priest had a MUCH better offensive line than Charles has had for more if not all of his career.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charles yes, I'm not sure I'd say that for Okoye.

Being an Okoye mark is a marketing thing, not a talent thing. And though I don't know why anyone just goes back to watch old running game clips, you should try some Priest Holmes stuff. He was brilliant.

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking about Charlies.

I don't know that I would call it a marketing thing , I was very young when Okoye was really a thing and while I think I vaguely remember him when I was little , it was really rediscovering him as I got older through books and articles and stuff that I went back and watched some of him and his tape and just enjoyed the the hell out of watching him run. I can say that about a number of old players.

And as far as why people go back and watch old running back clips , it's probably because they enjoy the history of football and I think it's great than now in this generation instead of just having the old folks TELL us how great someone was back in their day , we can watch them at our fingertips. I love this history of football , I can real and learn and go down miles of rabbit holes someday learning about some old players - so that's what I do.

Why do people still watch old shitty black and white movies? It's because movies are a passion of theirs just like football is a passion of mine.

As for Priest , I was around watching for his entire career. Great running , won me a fantasy football league even - and while he was some great highlights as well , he just doesn't resonate with me as much as Okoye does. I don't care who was the better player.

Thread Information