View Poll Results: Who would win the game?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Packers

1 12.50%
  • 49ers

7 87.50%

Thread: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - Dynasty Region - (4) Packers vs (5) 49ers

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NFL's All Time Greatest Team - Dynasty Region - (4) Packers vs (5) 49ers

Green Bay Packers

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Paul Hornung
    FB - Jim Taylor
    WR - Don Hutson
    WR - Sterling Sharpe
    TE - Paul Coffman

OT - Forrest Gregg
    OG - Jerry Kramer
    C - Frank Winters
    OG - Gale Gillingham
    OT - Chad Clifton

DE - Willie Davis
    DT - Gilbert Brown
    DT - Henry Jordan
    DE - Aaron Kampman

OLB - Bill Forrester
    MLB - Ray Nitscke
    OLB - Dave Robinson

CB - Herb Adderly
    CB - Bob Jeter
    FS - Willie Wood
    SS - Leroy Butler
    K - Mason Crosby
    P - Max McGee
    KR/PR - Desmond Howard

Coach: Vince Lombardi

vs

San Francisco 49ers
    QB - Joe Montana
    RB - Roger Craig
    FB - Tom Rathman
    WR - Jerry Rice
    WR - Terrell Owens
    TE - Brent Jones

OT - Bob St. Claire
    OG - Guy McIntire
    OC - Jesse Sapolu
    OG - Mike Iupati
    OT - Joe Staley

DE - Dana Stubblefield
    DT - Bryant Young
    DT - Leo Nomellini
    DE - Charles Haley

OLB - Dave Wilcox
    MLB - Patrick Willis
    OLB - Keena Turner

CB - Eric Wright
    CB - Ronnie Lott
    FS - Merton Hanks
    SS - Tim McDonald

K - Ray Werschling
    P - Tommy Davis
    Returner - John Taylor

Coach - Bill Walsh

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - Dynasty Region - (4) Packers vs (5) 49ers

I'm pretty sure it won't be a surprise where my vote is going in this one , but it's crazy how similar these teams are. Both teams are obviously strong as they are two of the greatest franchises in NFL history but both really benefitted from a few free agent acquisitions over the years that made some huge difference. You put Reggie White and Charles Woodson on this Packers team and they might be the odds on favorite to win it all.

You give the 49ers someone like Deion Sanders and they are in much better shape.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL's All Time Greatest Team - Dynasty Region - (4) Packers vs (5) 49ers

I think this one goes exactly like Super Bowl XXIII. A very close game with Montana driving down the field for a game winning TD.

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    I think this one goes exactly like Super Bowl XXIII. A very close game with Montana driving down the field for a game winning TD.
    Really? I figured you'd go for the Packers here seeing as how you're a fan of the trenches and I think the Packers might win that battle on both sides of the ball. I don't love the 49ers front seven on the defensive side of the ball and I'm not completely in love with their offensive line either. I think the Packers could give Rodgers plenty of time to attack down the field and I wouldn't be shocked it Taylor had some success running behind Gregg and Kramer.

Joe would obviously get his as well , but I'd put Adderly on Owens and try as much as possibly to help Jeter on Rice with either Butler or Wood. Aside from maybe the backfield I don't think there is a single area on these teams where the 49ers have a distinct advantage. Perhaps the receivers too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Niners front 4 is easily than better than Green Bay's. Bryant Young was a beast and Stubblefield was a really good D lineman for the Niners. Can't hold his flop with the Redskins against him here. And I would easily take Hailey over Kampman. Also while I LOVE the left side of the Packer line I'm not terribly enthused about the right side with Gillingham and Clifton. Not to mention Craig will find the pretty good running room behind St. Claire, McIntyre and especially Sapolu. Tom Nalen proved that Gilbert Brown could be dominated in the second half of games once he got tired, and I believe Sapolu could do the same.

I do think the Packer are stronger overall at linebacker though with Nitschke and Robinson. The secondary is roughly even.

vCash
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Niners front 4 is easily than better than Green Bay's. Bryant Young was a beast and Stubblefield was a really good D lineman for the Niners. Can't hold his flop with the Redskins against him here. And I would easily take Hailey over Kampman. Also while I LOVE the left side of the Packer line I'm not terribly enthused about the right side with Gillingham and Clifton. Not to mention Craig will find the pretty good running room behind St. Claire, McIntyre and especially Sapolu. Tom Nalen proved that Gilbert Brown could be dominated in the second half of games once he got tired, and I believe Sapolu could do the same.

I do think the Packer are stronger overall at linebacker though with Nitschke and Robinson. The secondary is roughly even.
    What don't you like about Gillingham? He was a 1st round pick , 6x All Pro , 5x Pro Bowler and a key member of 4 Packers championship teams. That's a better resume than Sapolu , McIntyre and damn near combined.

Stubblefield was solid , even had flashes of brilliance but I wasn't a fan of other end options so he he had to slide out of his natural position and that could effect him. To me , Kampman in his position is a far better EDGE pass rusher.

And yes Brown is a weakness up the middle , I won't deny that. I should of plugged someone else in there but it's too late now. He would certainly eat up blocks though and allow Nitscke and the bunch to put in some work.

A touch of Destiny AgentRodimal's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first six names on the Niners list are Hall of Famers (or should be), along with something like 3/4 of the team. The Packer are good, but most of their guys I've never heard of, which means they are old school. Hard noised yes, exhausted after two quarters of the West Coast Offence and having to chase down Rice, Taylor, and Owens, not to mention Jones, Rathman, and Craig. Then finally getting on offence and getting pounded by mister macktruck himself: Ronnie Lott. Niners win.

Why is Brent Jones the TE instead of Dwight Clark?

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentRodimal View Post

Why is Brent Jones the TE instead of Dwight Clark?
    Because Dwight Clark was a wide receiver.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Dwight Clark was a wide receiver.
    Yeah. Charlie Young and Russ Francis were the tight ends during Clark's tenure.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

A touch of Destiny AgentRodimal's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Yeah. Charlie Young and Russ Francis were the tight ends during Clark's tenure.
    Huh, could have swore Clark was a TE during the last few years of his career. oh well, that 's the memory for you.

Thread Information