Thread: The Wire

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Wire

Finally just started watching this series on Amazon Prime. It took me a while to get into it, first 7 or 8 episodes are really long and somewhat slow. Damn does it really start to pick up around episode 9 though, that was a great one. I'm really into this show right now. Have you seen The Wire? What do/did you think about it? Are the later seasons better or worse than the first one?

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Wire

Greatest show of all-time! It stays great the whole series with the best season being Season 4.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truly satisfying 5 season series. Worth a rewatch later on once you've finished. A top 3 series of all time!

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet partner, what took you so long?

I love the show and while I struggled initially with all the characters, police bureaucracy and so on, it made the second viewing that much more rewarding.

Have you got any favourite characters, Shin?

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best series ever, I have it below Breaking Bad (my personal #1), Game of Thrones, and the Sopranos (maybe the Shield too), but amazing. Bubbles I feel has one of, if not THE strongest character arcs in television history; Michael's was pretty great as well. I was a bit let down by the mainline in season 5, really felt wasted, but the stuff not involving the police department was great. The Hamsterdam season was just brilliant. And of course, Omar is just one of the slickest motherfucking characters ever. Oh indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only ever seen the first two seasons, and they were fantastic...Ive been meaning to watch 3-5 and will probably get to it this year.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I started watching it a couple of years ago but it just didn't grab me. It confused me in places. Only watched the first three episodes though. I am not judging the show on those episodes. I'm sure it's as amazing as everyone says it is, and I know it takes a while to set the scene and establish the characters in such a complex show (Game of Thrones is another good example). I didn't intend to stop watching it, it just kinda happened. I had no desire to watch the next episode and then I moved on to other things. I do plan to start again at some point, but right now I've got a couple of shows on the go, and that's enough TV/Netflix for me right now.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved how they had different bands sing the intro theme song.

Great show. The holy trinity alongside Breaking Bad and The Shield.

Favourite characters were Carver and Herc. Omar is a close second.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the best show I've ever seen and I don't think anything is close.

As you wrap up the first season be prepared that each season changes its focus so there are seasons that barely deal with the Barksdale crew, McNulty or others.

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit mike! I wanted Shin to go into season two completely lost. I was really biting my tongue on it as well, because one of the most memorable experiences was that sharp transition, only to find myself really getting into season two.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I guess I didn't know it was coming either.

The complexity of the show makes the rewatching better because you know all the characters while the first watch takes forever to remember names and understand what's at stake. Season four is somehow better every time I've seen it.

It's almost Wire rewatch time for me again. I've done the whole show three times I think, wrecks me more each time.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only seen it all the way through once. Been meaning to watch it again but Netflix and other TV shows keep taking up all my free time. Also my wife wants to re-watch The Sopranos again since she's only seen it once. Considering I like The Sopranos more that will probably happen first.

But I'm dying to watch it again, no doubt. It's such a good show. If I had to rank shows out of pure enjoyment, it would be my #3 behind Sopranos and Breaking Bad, but a solid #3. There's a big gap between my #3 and #4 (Game of Thrones).

It's one of those shows that does every character arc perfectly and tells a story so well that it's all you want to think about. I loved that the seasons told different stories because I needed a break after each one, and once you start a season you want to see it all the way through as soon as you possibly can because it just grabs hold of you and doesn't let go.

I'm looking at the character list now and I completely forgot that Carver is played by the same guy that plays Gabriel on The Walking Dead. For like two years I've been going "WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS GUY BEFORE!?"

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm looking at the character list now and I completely forgot that Carver is played by the same guy that plays Gabriel on The Walking Dead. For like two years I've been going "WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS GUY BEFORE!?"
    IMDB is your friend. I've had so many instances like that

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This show was outstanding. No other show will top this IMO

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I've kinda forgotten about this thread. I finished season 1 last week and I'm about 2 episodes deep into season 2. Such a great show, I'm liking season 2 much more than the first season so far. First season was damn good but I'm not completely blown away by it like I was the Sopranos. Speaking of which I see a lot of people comparing this show to Sopranos around the web and elsewhere. I actually started watching this show thinking that the creator of The Wire was one of the writers from The Sopranos, I don't know where I got that idea, I'm guessing I'm thinking of Mad Men(I'll have to check that out sometime). What I like about The Wire so far is the production values, the acting, and the characters, all top tier like a big budget movie. The show was really losing me with the first few episodes but I really got into it there with the last 4 episodes of the first season, things really come together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Have you got any favourite characters, Shin?
    It's hard to pick, I like pretty much all of them, really liked the lesbian officer and also my baby boy Wallace. My least favorite character is Avon's nephew.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I had something similar to this with Wallace, took a liking to him because I felt like I seem him or knew him from somewhere, sure enough I'm chilling with my dad for a little last night while he was watching Creed, it finally hit me like a ton of bricks, the actor that played Wallace is the same guy that plays Apollo Creed's son in Creed. I knew that kid looked so familiar.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love The Wire. To be honest, season 1 to me was so much better the second time around. The same can be said for season 2 which I thought was the weakest season on the first go around but my second time cycling through that series, I really grew to love it. Season 3 was probably my favorite of the bunch. Season 4 was pretty heartbreaking and depressing but was damn good. Season 5...ok I liked season 5 but I took some issues with how certain characters met their conclusion and the Mcnulty/serial killer storyline felt very untrue to what the series was, to me it was a little goofy. However it still had all the fun that you would expect and I really liked the media side story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This never gets old LOL

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest drama series I've ever seen. The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, love them all so much, but The Wire is it. It would at worst be my #3 overall, competing with Arrested Development and The Simpsons (if I can cheat and limit it to like seasons 1-9 or even more specifically 3-8). And yeah, season 1 will be so much better your second time through, whenever that is. There are so many characters that are introduced that I think it can be a bit much for someone starting out. I can't imagine a more ambitious television show has ever been made and it was an amazing achievement how well realised it was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    Greatest drama series I've ever seen. The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Twin Peaks, love them all so much, but The Wire is it. It would at worst be my #3 overall, competing with Arrested Development and The Simpsons (if I can cheat and limit it to like seasons 1-9 or even more specifically 3-8). And yeah, season 1 will be so much better your second time through, whenever that is. There are so many characters that are introduced that I think it can be a bit much for someone starting out. I can't imagine a more ambitious television show has ever been made and it was an amazing achievement how well realised it was.

Agreed that the world of the wire is so big that on first viewing it can be a bit hard to keep up with everybody. This is the rare exception of a tv show that got better on a second of third viewing. I'm getting the itch to make a fourth cycle through this now...but I'm plowing through Homeland right now so that isn't happening until i get up on that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about 3 episodes deep into season 3. Wasn't real real crazy about season 2, it was ok. Not really feeling season 3 so far. I've been taking it slow with this and mostly watching an episode or two on Sunday nights when I'm getting ready to shut it down for the weekend. There is some good continuity with the storylines going back to season 1, also like some of the characters and the production values of the show enough to stick with it. Caught an episode last night and watching another one now. Hopefully things pick up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the second season holds up better on second viewing when you care more about the ancillary characters. First time through, there were just too many new faces and I didn't find the case as compelling since it seemed like once the squad got back together, they took the operation apart pronto so the biggest challenge was just police bureaucracy instead of a sophisticated drug rink. Season 3 is a grower, it starts off relatively slow but the perception I have is that it picks up half-way through and from there the Wire really hits it's stride in the forth season.

Thread Information