Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Naomi Really 'Deserve' To Be Champion?

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Did Naomi Really 'Deserve' To Be Champion?

Let me preface this by saying I haven't seen enough of Naomi to form an opinion either way, but her win seems to have generated a swell of mixed emotions.

I'm interested to know, what makes Naomi a deserving champion?

What are some of the matches that stick out, or promos?

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Did Naomi Really 'Deserve' To Be Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I haven't seen enough of Naomi to form an opinion either way, but her win seems to have generated a swell of mixed emotions.

I'm interested to know, what makes Naomi a deserving champion?

What are some of the matches that stick out, or promos?
    I honestly can't think of a single one. She's pretty mediocre on the mic. Her match with Alexa was the best I've seen from her yet.. I guess they just felt like giving the title to a face again? I honestly don't see her holding onto it for much longer unless she steps up her game big time
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was probably just a respect reign. I can't think of too many memorable matches/segments, but on the same token has she ever really been given anything to work with? She has never been the focus throughout her career, so was she ever in a position to have a standout performance? The commentators constantly touted her as the best athlete the division has to offer. Didn't really do any favors when they said the same to Billy Gunn and Shelton Benjamin. Once she finally turned heel... well that was at the exact same time Nikki did and there was no way she was getting any traction that way.

It was also a case of them probably not having a choice the way they booked it. We all know how WWE loves to humiliate people in their hometowns. And the fact that Alexa totally ignored her in the build-up to the match would make her look like shit. But then again that's how they booked HTM and Kurt Angle as champions... frequent non-title jobs and then screwy ways to retain when it counted.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She absolutely deserves it.

She's been with them a long time now and gives her all. Some of the greatest woman in the industry may not have had the best mic skills (Lita, Gail Kim, Asuka, Chyna to name a few) but she is solid in the ring and was/is a breath of fresh air in terms of move-set and being a bit adventurous in the ring with her style of wrestling.

When we've had woman like Kelly Kelly as the champion I can't understand some people having a big issue with Naomi getting a reign and i'm glad she's finally got a chance with the belt, you can tell it means a lot to her and she's been overlooked several times in the past but stayed patient and ambitious.

Good on her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When woman's wrestling was at an all time low in the WWE and treated as a joke her and AJ Lee showed women's wrestling could be as good as the guys. Those two easily had the best match in nXt season 3. And how were they rewarded to be eliminated 3rd and 2nd in the competition for someone who was still learning wrestling. They gave the wrestling contract to the one who was the worst at it. AJ Lee who came in 3rd place eventually got her due but what about Naomi. She gets called back 3rd to shake her booty with someone holding her down and dancing for someone holding her back. Nether of those two careers went anywhere after they left the WWE either. She even had one of her first Wrestlemania took from her because the show was running long. I know a lot of people are upset she beat Alexa Bliss but she hasn't even been on the main roster a year. And giving some a title too early can be just as bad as giving it to them too late. So yes Naomi definitely deserves this for all she has been through in the WWE.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she deserves to at least carry the title down the aisle for her WrestleMania match. But I don't think she'll win there.

If I book the women for Mania, I'd make it a Fatal Four Way between Naomi, Alexa, Mickie, and Becky.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She deserves it as much as anyone else in WWE. It's just a babyface chant and nothing more.

I just find two things really puzzling and haven't really been clearly answered. Why do suddenly people have such an issue with the "You Deserve It" chants since Naomi won the SD Women's Title? Also, why are people set on the idea that Alexa Bliss is somehow light-years ahead of her?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    I just find two things really puzzling and haven't really been clearly answered. Why do suddenly people have such an issue with the "You Deserve It" chants since Naomi won the SD Women's Title? Also, why are people set on the idea that Alexa Bliss is somehow light-years ahead of her?
    We know why.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this right, she deserves it for being a company girl?

By that logic, doesn't Heath Slater 'deserve' to be WWE Champion?

Thanks for the match recommendation @X-zero.

So far I've got...

Naomi vs AJ Lee - NXT 11/23/10

A six minute match from over six years ago that prove her credentials. Surely there has to be something else?
    @Djm It wasn't sudden and I don't think Naomi was the target, rather it was Bray Wyatt who was supposed to be the biggest heel on the roster and yet he's getting babyface reactions. Naomi is copping it by proxy but I think there has always been a groundswell of people who didn't like her. Since she's relevant, it's as good a time as any to really explore her body of work to see where she fits in the grand scheme of things.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, I don't think Naomi really deserved it. Not that she couldn't deserve it. But she sorta showed up again out of the blue, got a title shot, and won.

Plus Naomi's addition ruined what I thought could have been a pretty good Mickie/Becky/Alexa story, so.....

The only person who has gotten the chant that deserved it was Bryan.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heath Slater would deserve an IC title reign for sure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I've got...

A six minute match from over six years ago that prove her credentials. Surely there has to be something else?
    @Djm It wasn't sudden and I don't think Naomi was the target, rather it was Bray Wyatt who was supposed to be the biggest heel on the roster and yet he's getting babyface reactions. Naomi is copping it by proxy but I think there has always been a groundswell of people who didn't like her. Since she's relevant, it's as good a time as any to really explore her body of work to see where she fits in the grand scheme of things.
    Back then 6 minutes was consider a lot. The woman wrestlemania match around said time was like 4 minutes and features 10 women. It isn't like woman have multiple title tiers of title like the men so they have to use that one as a thank you for all your years.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I've got...

Naomi vs. Nikki Bella at Extreme Rules 2015 is a good match - if you can get past the half-dead crowd and enjoy the action. Paige vs. Naomi at MITB 2014 is another good one.

surrender

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she "deserved" it for the sole fact that she went from background dancer to champion. Hell of a rise.

Honestly, only 2 people truly "deserved" it and that was Mic Foley and Daniel Bryan. Chris Benoit would've been on the list, until he went Manson.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surrender View Post
    We know why.
    I wanna make it clear that I'm making no assumptions on this at all, including the obvious. But I'd really like to hear an answer
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    I wanna make it clear that I'm making no assumptions on this at all, including the obvious. But I'd really like to hear an answer
    I just think, ya know, she was off tv for a few months. She came back, got in a two week story, then won.

That's just how I see it.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dazz View Post
    I just think, ya know, she was off tv for a few months. She came back, got in a two week story, then won.

That's just how I see it.
    Great point. This was another thing that I brought up repeatedly. Where was Naomi in the midst of the the feuds that were happening? I saw something about an ankle injury, but maybe not much else.

I repeatedly brought that point up of her not being on TV after her rebrand being so hot.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She didn't deserve to have Bliss fed to her and the belt handed to her. Bliss is more talented and a hell of a lot more entertaining. I can't wait to hear that she dropped it....and hopefully she leaves WWE shortly after, before she truly injures someone.

Becky was deserving of that belt more than any other SD diva

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We know why.
    We definitely do know why.

It started with Bray and not Naomi. It should have started with Finn Balor. By the way both are awful but good for them picking up the gold. Still waiting on those chants directed at someone like James Ellsworth when he wins.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - good athlete. That's it.

She has about as much charisma as a wet pair of socks, can barely cut a promo, and has a look of complete confusion on her face most of the time.

Does she deserve to be champion? God no.

Name a good Naomi match. Name two. Name five, name ten. Nope?

Remember that decent promo she cut.. nope, that never happened.

Remember that one angle, that one time, she stood there as a singles competitor and smashed it out of the park.. nope? That's never happened either.

Taking away from the inane babbling of the Bella Twins, her title win will take center stage on an upcoming episode of Total Divas. That's. About. It.

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. She's about as deserving of a title reign as Alicia Fox or Summer Rae (as in, not at all).

She's been a spare part for years and now we're suddenly supposed to take her seriously? Nah.
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's this very weird mentality around the internet where people seem to think Naomi has terrible mic skills. It just simply isn't true and I have no idea where it stems from. Sure, she may not be as good on the mic as Alexa, Becky or Mickie, but I'd hardly call her bad. Her mic skills have been nothing if not consistent, which is more than we can say for people like Sasha or Bayley.

Furthermore, she totally deserved this win. Fuck, she should have captured the title during her heel run in 2015. Sure, her matches with Alexa may not have been anything special, but I'd hardly lay the sole blame on Naomi. Alexa is still fairly green in the ring, it's not like Becky Lynch has had great matches with her either.

Quote Originally Posted by mistress
    She didn't deserve to have Bliss fed to her and the belt handed to her.
    Oh please, this hasn't damaged Alexa Bliss at all. Kayfabe wise, Alexa only possessed that belt due to dubious means. As a result of her over-inflated ego, she underestimated Naomi. From a character standpoint, she now has much more to play with.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naomi absolutely deserved it!! She's one of the more entertaining ladies in the ring, although a bit sloppy that tends to happen when don't get much in ring time. She may not be gold on the mic but neither was Lita and she's one of the greats. As others said she should've won the title when she turned heel. She also should've won when she broke away from Cameron.

This garbage about feeing Alexa to her is just that. GARBAGE. Going by that merit we can say they fed Becky to Alexa.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When Jack Swagger won the Smackdown world title after being the lowest of the low card, people were up in arms. I personally loved it because I was a Swagger fanboy, but I understood all the criticism. Naomi's sudden push to the title is the same story, though not to the same extent. She was the only female on the Smackdown roster not to be in a meaningful feud or storyline for the past few months, and she is the one picked to dethrone Alexa? It's an odd booking decision to me and it was very out of the blue, much like Swagger's title win. Personally I don't think she deserves it. She's one of the least entertaining/interesting people on the Smackdown roster, though not by a huge distance. I have to credit her for her new gimmick though. She's put everything into it and it's got over, even if I personally think it's kinda lame.

To continue the Swagger comparison, he had a pretty entertaining JBL-style run as champion with some fun promos and segments, and he won at least a few of his haters over. It's very possible that Naomi will do the same.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does she still use the "bum" move?

Thread Information