Thread: Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

For me there's Fresh off the Boat. Funny show but the mom, Jessica, is nuts.

I see this often in anime too. I didn't like Ichigo in Bleach nor did I like Miaka in Fushigi Yuugi

So, any shows you liked or loved but couldn't stand the main star of the show?

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

Off the top of my head I've only got David Brent from The Office, but that was kind of the point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orange is the New Black.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character as much as I do Piper while still liking the show itself. I've disliked main characters before but she's the first I've hated. Closest are Nancy from Weeds (same creator so I don't think it's a coincidence) and Sookie from True Blood.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Orange is the New Black.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character as much as I do Piper while still liking the show itself. I've disliked main characters before but she's the first I've hated. Closest are Nancy from Weeds (same creator so I don't think it's a coincidence) and Sookie from True Blood.
    Agreed. Every time something bad happens to Piper I smile. She fucking sucks.

First one that pops into my mind is House of Cards. I love the show but hate the Underwoods. Fucking elitist sociopaths. And they have zero redeeming qualities. Oh, I'm supposed to like Frank because he says cool shit to the camera? No.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Agreed. Every time something bad happens to Piper I smile. She fucking sucks.

First one that pops into my mind is House of Cards. I love the show but hate the Underwoods. Fucking elitist sociopaths. And they have zero redeeming qualities. Oh, I'm supposed to like Frank because he says cool shit to the camera? No.
    I smile as well. Hell, I cheered when she was branded in the last season.

I'm not sure House of Cards would count in this case; you're not supposed to like them. In the case of Piper; you're absolutely supposed to like and feel for her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh I think they figured out Piper pretty early as unsympathetic and made her worse for the subsequent seasons. I can't say I dislike Piper, because I legitimately don't care about her one way or the other.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Eh I think they figured out Piper pretty early as unsympathetic and made her worse for the subsequent seasons. I can't say I dislike Piper, because I legitimately don't care about her one way or the other.
    They didn't really figure it out until season 4. They tried to make her a more interesting but still sympathetic character in season 3. They kind of stopped trying to do that in season 4 while still trying to make her sympathetic.

What the writers were aware of early on was that she wasn't a very interesting character but was what was needed to sell the show to begin with. They're pretty open about that.

I went from indifference to outright hate real quick with her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never really found the hate for Piper like others have. Is she the most interesting character on the show? Nope, not at all. She probably isn't even in my top five characters at this point. For me at this point, she is just kinda there.

The one that comes to mind instantly for me is the original lead for Scream Queens season 1, Grace. I think her name was Grace at least. She was the most basic of basic white girls. Her story was by far the least interesting of the highly talented cast. Maybe that was her downfall. The cast was so good while she was just there. Sort of like OITNB.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The League, hate that Pete guy. It's all about Ruxin or Andre.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    I've never really found the hate for Piper like others have. Is she the most interesting character on the show? Nope, not at all. She probably isn't even in my top five characters at this point. For me at this point, she is just kinda there.

The one that comes to mind instantly for me is the original lead for Scream Queens season 1, Grace. I think her name was Grace at least. She was the most basic of basic white girls. Her story was by far the least interesting of the highly talented cast. Maybe that was her downfall. The cast was so good while she was just there. Sort of like OITNB.
    Totally agreed about Grace. Hated her in Scream Queens. I wanted her to die lol

Back when I did like Family Guy, I hated Peter. Now i just can't stand the show in general.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was basically done with How I Met Your Mother and was only in it for the resolution, but Ted's character lost it's way part-way through the series and usually made his storylines the weakest part of the show. Even when they eventually introduced the mother, Ted wasn't afforded much redemption.

Similarly, Jess is the weakest part of New Girl. I don't necessarily dislike her, but she's overshadowed by the guys and her quirky antics feel ham-fisted at times.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ash Ketchem bothered me immensely from Pokemon, and it's a shame he hardly ever loses because the way he calls a fight is pretty shit. Guy is such a shit Pokemon trainer in the grand scheme of things. Goodey two shoes as well and he seldom catches Pokemon when he should.

Tai was pretty bad from Digimon too, much of the kids were looking back at it which is why he isn't as bad as Ash was. I actually wanted Team Rocket to win at times, same with the antagonists of Digimon.

I felt this way as a 9 year old..........nothing has changed 18 years later. I haven't seen the show(s) for years but I know Ash is still around and kicking on the main show and I doubt he's changed much at all. 18 years of a stagnant character....
    Last edited by Blindy; 02-19-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I was basically done with How I Met Your Mother and was only in it for the resolution, but Ted's character lost it's way part-way through the series and usually made his storylines the weakest part of the show. Even when they eventually introduced the mother, Ted wasn't afforded much redemption.

Similarly, Jess is the weakest part of New Girl. I don't necessarily dislike her, but she's overshadowed by the guys and her quirky antics feel ham-fisted at times.
    I've seen that view around lately regarding New Girl, however, it's the exact opposite for me. Jess and Cece along with Schmidt are the reason I love the show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Delaney in Taboo is someone I think is a prick but am cheering for him. Hardy plays the role amazingly

Justin Valuable made this banner! YES! YES!YES!
    I Eat Cannibals

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Weeds. I liked Kevin Nealon's character waaaaaaaaaaay more than Nancy.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A show I'm rather enjoying right now, the Magicians, really entertaining show, but everyone is kind of a mopey hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 2 of this show on Netflix came out recently and it reminded me of the OTHER main character I hate with a passion: Love's Gus. I hate that guy to the point where it actively subtracts from the show itself. He's slightly better in Season 2. Slightly.

vCash
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought the point was to not like him. He's the typical "nice guy" who is actually a piece of shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    I always thought the point was to not like him. He's the typical "nice guy" who is actually a piece of shit.
    I think you're right on that (the subversion of the typical nice guy) (and I think they did a much better job steering in that direction for season 2 while also making Mickie both more and less likable at the same time) but it went WAY past just dislike for me to the point in which it was actively taking away from the show.

He just doesn't have any redeemable or likable characteristics until the second season (and only really at the end). The most likable aspect of him is the cast of his subplots.

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Arrow, but I really can't stand the main character (Felicity). So irritating!
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been binge watching True Blood during my spring break. Currently on season 4 and Sookie has not won me over yet. She's irritable, pushy, and sometimes downright treats her friends terribly all for a vampire. Her knack for running back to Bill after all the shit he does is infuriating but she seems to be turning the corner. By season 3, she develops an attitude and gets cocky towards vampires and werewolves despite not knowing of her abilities yet. Oh, and she reads her friends' minds; what kind of friend is that? She does have some redeemable qualities however and in season 4, she is finally onto Bill and done with him.

Despite that, the show has a whole cast of colorful characters and story arcs that I enjoy even though Sookie is mostly on my shit list.

All credit goes to surrender!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Show View Post
    I've been binge watching True Blood during my spring break. Currently on season 4 and Sookie has not won me over yet. She's irritable, pushy, and sometimes downright treats her friends terribly all for a vampire. Her knack for running back to Bill after all the shit he does is infuriating but she seems to be turning the corner. By season 3, she develops an attitude and gets cocky towards vampires and werewolves despite not knowing of her abilities yet. Oh, and she reads her friends' minds; what kind of friend is that? She does have some redeemable qualities however and in season 4, she is finally onto Bill and done with him.

Despite that, the show has a whole cast of colorful characters and story arcs that I enjoy even though Sookie is mostly on my shit list.
    Slight spoiler for Sookie on True Blood ... she WON'T win you over if she hasn't by now because that behaviour just gets worse and other characters pay for it.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only one that stands out for now is OitnB. I liked Piper at the beginning but the last few seasons I have went off her as a character.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Thread Information