Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redoing the PWI Top 500

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Redoing the PWI Top 500

Inspired my WrestlingRecap's 1991 PWI 500 post in his Inside The Magazine thread http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=132750 I have decided to fix the (mostly terrible) PWI 500s. No, I won't be fixing all 500 rankings. Just the Top 10-50 depending on how familiar I am with the year in question. I plan on doing up to at least 2000 and then maybe going back in time a few years into the 80s.

The real PWI 500

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1991.html

My corrections and explanations

1. Hulk Hogan (1)
    2. Lex Luger (2)
    3. Ric Flair (3)

-No arguments here. Hogan was still the biggest star in wrestling. Held WWF title most of the year. Won Rumble. Main evented multiple PPVs.
    Luger's career year in kayfabe. His long US title run gives him the nod over Flair.

4. Tatsumi Fujinami (NR)- Guess PWI wasn't acknowledging Japan's best this early in their 500 history? Fujinami held the IWGP Championship for most of the year, was involved in NWA Title controversy w/ Flair, and main evented a US PPV. Good enough for the #4 spot. Crazy that he wasn't ranked at all given his bit of US exposure.

5. Jumbo Tsuruta (176)- Held the All Japan Triple Crown for most of the year.

6. Sting (5)- PWI gets this one right. Opened the year as NWA champ. Held US title for 3 months. Was seen as the face of his company by this point.

7. Undertaker (NR)- The Deadman was robbed! How the hell was he not ranked AT ALL!?!? Stupid PWI.....Undefeated on TV for most of the year. Beat Hulk Hogan. On PPV. For the WWF Title. Easily Top 10 worthy.

8. Bret Hart (21)- Opened the year as 1/2 of WWF Tag Champs. Was into his 5th month as IC champ by year's end. A breakout year for "The Hitman."

9. Jake Roberts (23)- I'll admit there's some smarkiness going into this rating. '91 was Jake's career year from a character standpoint. He was arguably WWF's MVP having memorable feuds & angles w/ Martel, Warrior & Savage.

10. Ultimate Warrior (11)- Pulled his first Warrior to miss the last few months. Gave him the 10 spot over Perfect. Both were big time players for 2/3rds of the year. Warrior started the year as WWF champ, had an epic match w/ Savage at 'Mania, main evented Summerslam, handed 'Taker his first series of losses on the house show circuit, and was involved in some memorable angles.

11. Mr. Perfect (13)- Was IC champ for 2/3rds of the year. Only misses the Top 10 due to inactivity over the last few months and being less of a 'star' than Warrior.

12. Jerry Lawler (12)- Held USWA title multiple times for 8 combined months when that title was still kinda sorta important due to fairly wide television syndication.

13. Sgt. Slaughter (36)- Yeah, his decline was every bit as precipitous as his rise, but he still beat the Warrior to become WWF Champion at Royal Rumble, main evented Wrestlemania against Hulk f'n Hogan, and main evented Summerslam. That's good enough for the Top 15 in a rather weak year.

14. Randy Savage (4)- This is the absolute highest I could possibly put Savage, who was out of action for 8 months, but was really, really good when he was active.

15. Arn Anderson (9)- Held WCW TV title for over 4 months and WCW tag title for another 2 & a half months.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-02-2017 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Redoing the PWI Top 500

When assessing the actual PWI rankings, I think the period of judging (August 1st, 1990-July 31st, 1991 in this case) needs to be considered.

For example, most of the achievements listed for The Undertaker didn't happen until after the judging period.

In the case of Fujinami, he wrestled just 15 matches total during the judging period, and only two for or relating to WCW, and just one in the US. Still doesn't explain why he's not ranked at all, but would somewhat explain him at least not having top billing (eg. top 5). Inoki being ranked at #34, having wrestled just two matches total during the judging period (one of which was a tag), is a real-headscratcher by comparison, though.

In general, it seems the original list was very US-centric and very big-company centric overall, much moreso than it is today.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    When assessing the actual PWI rankings, I think the period of judging (August 1st, 1990-July 31st, 1991 in this case) needs to be considered.

For example, most of the achievements listed for The Undertaker didn't happen until after the judging period.

In the case of Fujinami, he wrestled just 15 matches total during the judging period, and only two for or relating to WCW, and just one in the US. Still doesn't explain why he's not ranked at all, but would somewhat explain him at least not having top billing (eg. top 5). Inoki being ranked at #34, having wrestled just two matches total during the judging period (one of which was a tag), is a real-headscratcher by comparison, though.

In general, it seems the original list was very US-centric and very big-company centric overall, much moreso than it is today.
    As Baker does he's rewriting the rules for his list as stated in the magazine recap thread by judging the actual calendar year. It is an interesting adjustment to make.

Rick Rude at 26 seems a little off, he was active for only a couple of months during the actual start of the grading period (Aug-Nov. 1990) then came back in the summer of 1991. With your rankings Baker this could be justified since you are considering his US title win, but being ahead of someone like Jushin Liger (27) still doesn't feel right.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post

Forgot to mention I'm doing this from January 1st-December 31st like a normal person and not PWI or Meltzer.

Either way you look at it Fujinami wrestled far more than 15 matches. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=90&page=4&s=1100

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    Rick Rude at 26 seems a little off, he was active for only a couple of months during the actual start of the grading period (Aug-Nov. 1990) then came back in the summer of 1991. With your rankings Baker this could be justified since you are considering his US title win, but being ahead of someone like Jushin Liger (27) still doesn't feel right.
    I'm not going that deep into it this early on. Maybe when we get to 95-96. Rude would probably make a Top 50 but I can't imagine ranking him as high as #26 since he was MIA for most of the year. I've come to realize most PWI rankings "don't feel right." Can't believe I put so much stock into these goofy atings in the mid 90s.

-Not unlike 1997 in that there is no clear cut #1. This was also a transitional year with Hogan being out of action most of the year and longtime NWA/WCW standout Flair plying his trade in WWF. Will a Dean Malenko emerge from the rabble to claim the top spot? Scroll down to find out!

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1992.html

1. Bret Hart (5)- 5 guys had a claim for the top spot. I gave it to Bret. He ended the year having been WWF champ for over two months and held the IC title for 5 months earlier in the year. I'll admit some hindsight may be coming into play here.

2. Sting (1)- Clearly the face of WCW by this point. Held the WCW Championship for over 4 months and won the King of Cable. Had memorable matches and feuds with the Dangerous Alliance, Cactus Jack & Vader. Arguably the Stinger's best year in terms of actually doing stuff. Would have liked to see him have a longer run as champ if he's supposed to be THE guy.

3. Ric Flair (3)- Memorably won the Royal Rumble to become WWF Champion and won the title again from Savage later in the year after losing it to Mach at Wrestlemania. Cemented his legacy as an all time great by succeeding in unfamiliar territory.

4. Randy Savage (2)- Won the WWF championship from Flair in a memorable match at Wrestlemania. Held WWF's top title longer than anybody else in 1992.

5. Ron Simmons (20)- The longest reigning World Champion in the Big Two this year. Memorably won the WCW championship from Vader. Would drop it back to the big man a few days before year's end. Didn't do a ton before winning the title though.

6. Rick Rude (4)- Had his career year holding the US Title all year and being the Ace of the Dangerous Alliance lead heel stable.

7. Vader (15)- Not unlike Simmons, the big man seemed to come out of nowhere to become WCW champion....at least to this most casual of WCW fans in 1992. Had memorable matches with Sting in what would soon become a legendary feud. Remained big in Japan.

8. Shawn Michaels (16)- The breakout star of 1992 famously ended his tag team with Marty Jannetty, won IC gold, and main evented Survivor Series in a losing cause.

9. Davey Boy Smith (30)- Memorably won the IC title from Bret in a classic Summerslam encounter which took place in front of over 80,000 of his fellow countrymen.

10. Great Muta (25)- Ended the year having been IWGP Champion for over four months. Won BattleBowl. Probably the most famous Puro star in America at the time. Only Liger would come close.

11. Riki Choshu (62)- Held IWGP Championship for over 7 months.

12. Stan Hansen (48)- Held All Japan Triple Crown Championship for almost 7 months.

13. Mitsuharu Misawa (205)- Ended the year over four months into his first reign as AJPW Triple Crown champion.

14. Undertaker (21)- Turned babyface. Won feuds over Jake & Kamala. Wasn't pinned or submitted on TV.

15. Ultimate Warrior (9)- Remained a major contender when around. Had a memorable WWF Championship match with Savage at Summerslam.

16. Masa Chono (209)- Won the G1 Climax and NWA Championship. Made several WCW appearances.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

profightdb.com also allocated points to the PWI monthly rankings. They have most of the monthly rankings for the 90's issues so if you felt like it you could total up the points for each prominent guy in the top ten for each calendar year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1993.html

-A year near and dear to my heart. My fandom leveled up in '93. Watched more WCW than any year since at least 1989 and was loving WWF more than ever before. The major promotions saw their title situations stabilize with two monster heels dominating the scene.

1. Vader (2)- Spent over 11 months of the year as WCW champion. Had memorable feuds & matches with Sting, Cactus & Flair.

2. Yokozuna (5)- Won Royal Rumble, won (and lost) WWF championship at Wrestlemania, DESTROYED HULKAMANIA~!, ended the year in the midst of longest heel WWF championship run in 15 years.

3. Mitsuharu Misawa (92)- Held AJPW Triple Crown the entire year.

4. Bret Hart (1)- Spent a little over 3 months as WWF champion. Won KOTR. Had a memorable feud with Lawler. Seeds were planted for an even more legendary feud with Owen in the latter stages of the year. Fwiw the KOTR win & Lawler feud had me finally buying into Bret as a top guy after previously viewing him as the first midcard champ WWF champ of my wrestling fandom.

5. Sting (4)- Hmm....this might be a little high but I'll run with it. Spent a few days as WCW champ on an overseas tour. Had another memorable match with Vader but Sting's 93 was a step down from the previous year.

6. Lex Luger (7)- Had a long televised unbeaten streak as The Narcissist. Knocked out a slew of guys including Bret & Perfect. Became the Next Big Thing when he slammed Yokozuna. Dropped the ball at Summerslam but was the sole survivor in the Survivor Series main event.

7. Shawn Michaels (3)- Held IC title for much of the year. Had memorable feuds with Jannetty & Perfect.

8. Dustin Rhodes (12)- Held US title for much of the year. Had a long feud with Rick Rude.

9. Ric Flair [6]- Left WWF early in the year after losing a famous (but not all that great imo) Loser Leaves Town match to Mr. Perfect. Returned to his old WCW stomping grounds. Stayed out of the ring for several months before feuding with the Hollywood Blondes. Won & lost the NWA title. Ended the year by beating Vader to win the WCW Title at Starrcade in a classic confrontation.

10. Great Muta (19)- Held IWGP & NWA titles simultaneously. Wouldn't lose IWGP title until September.

11. Shinya Hashimoto (NR)- Defeated Muta to win the IWGP championship in September and retained it until year's end.

12. Rick Rude (8)- Won the NWA Title/WCW International Title/Big Gold Belt. Had long feud with Dustin Rhodes.

13. Razor Ramon (87)- Breakout year for the Bad Guy. Challenged for WWF title at Royal Rumble. Turned babyface after getting upset by skinny jobber the 1-2-3 Kid. Gained popularity and won the vacant IC title in September.

14. Barry Windham (11)- Had a solid NWA championship reign before dropping off the face of the earth and never really recovering.

15. Undertaker (46)- Step down from the previous two years but he still wasn't pinned or submitted on TV. Had a memorable (for all the wrong reasons) feud with Giant Gonzalez. A Mr. Hughes feud went nowhere. Finally regained some of his mojo late in the year by starting a feud with WWF champion Yokozuna.

16. Hulk Hogan (17)- Won WWF championship again at Wrestlemania in controversial fashion. Only held the title for a little over two months. Went to Japan in May where he defeated Great Muta in an interesting historical curiosity.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-20-2017 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this idea. If I had the patience to do it, it's something I would've done. Look forward to more.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1994.html

-Pretty weak field this year.

1. Bret Hart (1)- Became the undisputed top guy in WWF with a Rumble victory, Wrestlemania title win, 8 month championship reign, and memorable feuds with Owen & Mr. Backlund.

2. Hulk Hogan (2)- Only active for half the year but made a major impact jumping to WCW and winning their championship from Ric Flair in his first match. Hogan would hold the title for the rest of the year.

3. Ric Flair (3)- Was back to his classic 80s form during the first half of the year with a lengthy WCW title reign. 2nd half of the year saw him play Hogan's bitch.

4. Diesel (14)- THE breakout star of 1994 kicked off the year with a memorable Rumble performance. He would go onto win the once-prestigious WWF Triple Crown in the span of 7 months.

5. Razor Ramon (7)- Held the IC Title for 8 months and had a memorable Wrestlemania ladder match with Shawn Michaels. 1994 is a big reason why Razor is the 1st name to come to mind whenever I think "IC Champions" (even if Honkytonk Man is still the greatest!).

6. Shinya Hashimoto (82)- Seemed to surpass Muta as the ace of NJPW. Had two IGWP championship reigns spanning over 11 months of the year.

7. Steve Austin [6]- Held the US Title for almost 8 months.

8. Mitsuharu Misawa (29)- His 23 month Triple Crown reign finally came to an end in late July.

9. Owen Hart (10)- Another WWF breakout star. Went from a career low carder to a legendary feud with Bret, KOTR victory, and championship matches on PPV.

10. Yokozuna (11)- Really fell off the map after losing WWF title to Bret at Wrestlemania but nobody below him was really setting the world on fire either.

11. Vader (4)- Remained a threat though mostly stayed away from the title scene until winning the US title in late December.

12. Mr. Bob Backlund (86)- Had an amazing four month run from July-November culminating in a most unlikely WWF Championship win. Also had two memorable matches with Bret and his Crossface Chickenwing was briefly the most over move in all of wrestling.

13. Sting (8)- He...umm...won some matches and was a big name and stuff.....and damn is 1994 weak.

14. Toshiaki Kawada (262)- Won the Champions Carnival and defeated Doctor Death a few months later to capture his first AJPW Triple Crown title.

15. Steve Williams (48)- Ended Misawa's 23 month Triple Crown reign. Held the title for almost 3 months before dropping it to Kawada.

16. Shane Douglas (32)- Infamously threw down the NWA Championship giving rise to Extreme Championship Wrestling. Held the ECW title from March through the end of the year.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm doing this from January 1st-December 31st like a normal person and not PWI or Meltzer.
    Either way you look at it Fujinami wrestled far more than 15 matches. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=90&page=4&s=1100
    I got my numbers from ProFightDB, which I think only counts television matches, not house shows or live events.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome. I've loved every post so far. But that's not surprising at all when it comes to Baker projects.

Question... Was Razor not rated in 1994, or is that just a typo?

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    This is awesome. I've loved every post so far. But that's not surprising at all when it comes to Baker projects.

Question... Was Razor not rated in 1994, or is that just a typo?

Typo. Just fixed it.

1995 should be up later today. Wanted to go overboard with this year since it's a personal favorite but probably won't since there's not a lot of depth after #3.

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting and ultimately difficult thing to do. Each wrestling company has their own kayfabe essentially, so creating a grander all-encompassing kayfabe isn't the easiest. Do we just accept that the WWF always has the strongest talent because it is the biggest and most famous company? Since New Japan worked with other promotions, can we say more about its kayfabe strength than an insular promotion like All Japan?

For a fun example, Vader went from losing to rookie Edge in 1998 WWF to winning the 1999 Champion Carnival and the Triple Crown and defeating all the big All Japan names. Does this mean that the All Japan guys were levels beneath the top WWF guys kayfabe-wise? Or do we treat it as Vader regaining his desire and motivation?

Vader definitely should be higher in 1994 just for winning UWFi's Real Pro-Wrestling World Heavyweight Championship. Takada had made an open challenge to all the World Champions in 1993. Vader was man enough to answer that call and eventually won the title in a fed with a different style and rules.

vCash
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has definitely been a great read so far. I applaud the hell out of you Baker for taking on the task and thank you for sharing it. Awesome seeing Vader #1 in 1993.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    This is an interesting and ultimately difficult thing to do. Each wrestling company has their own kayfabe essentially, so creating a grander all-encompassing kayfabe isn't the easiest. Do we just accept that the WWF always has the strongest talent because it is the biggest and most famous company? Since New Japan worked with other promotions, can we say more about its kayfabe strength than an insular promotion like All Japan?

For a fun example, Vader went from losing to rookie Edge in 1998 WWF to winning the 1999 Champion Carnival and the Triple Crown and defeating all the big All Japan names. Does this mean that the All Japan guys were levels beneath the top WWF guys kayfabe-wise? Or do we treat it as Vader regaining his desire and motivation?

Vader definitely should be higher in 1994 just for winning UWFi's Real Pro-Wrestling World Heavyweight Championship. Takada had made an open challenge to all the World Champions in 1993. Vader was man enough to answer that call and eventually won the title in a fed with a different style and rules.
    I've lazily followed the PWI template which went something like....

WWF
    WCW
    Sabu
    AJPW- Triple Crown champs tended to rank higher than IWGP champs for whatever reason
    NJPW
    ECW
    USWA & SMW
    Other
    Heavyweights > Juniors

Still feel like I put more thought into it than goofy PWI though

-Wanted to go overboard with this one since it's the year my fandom reached its apex and I started reading PWI in the first place (including my 1st PWI 500!) but wimped out in the end. May expand to a Top 50 at some point.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1995.html

1. Diesel (1)- Held WWF title for over ten months putting back challenges from Michaels, Sid & Mabel. Spent one night as a tag champ.

2. Hulk Hogan [6]- Held WCW title for almost ten months. Decimated Vader. Also feuded with Dungeon of Doom.

3. Bret Hart (4)- Won WWF title in November after winning feuds against Owen, Mr. Backlund, Hakushi, Lawler, Yankem & Lafitte.

4. Great Muta (13)- Defeated Hashimoto to regain IWGP Championship. Held the title for 8 months. Made at least one WCW PPV appearance.

5. Mitsuharu Misawa (10)- Defeated Hansen to regain AJPW Triple Crown in May. Continued to hold title by year's end.

6. Shawn Michaels (2)- Won Royal Rumble. Challenged for WWF title at Wrestlemania. Went good guy. Held IC title from July-October. Was WWF tag champ for a night.

7. Razor Ramon (9)- Began and end the year as IC champ.

8. Randy Savage (8)- Had a long feud with Flair. Won WCW title by winning the inaugural World War III. Held belt for a month.

9. Ric Flair (20)- Had long feud with Savage. Won WCW title at Starrcade. Wore a dress.

10. Sting (3)- Held US title for almost five months.

11. Jeff Jarrett (11)- Held IC title for six months. Hurt by leaving WWF in July. Also won USWA title in December.

12. Vader (7)- Started year as US Champ. Feuded with Hogan. Was stripped of belt and left WCW in August.

13. Shinya Hashimoto (134)- Held IWGP championship for first four months of the year.

14. Sandman (60)- Held ECW championship for 6 months in a year which saw the promotion's fanbase experience rapid growth.

15. Shane/Dean Douglas (28)- Opened year as ECW champion. Went to WWF. Was awesome. Some sources list him as an official IC champ.

16. Kensuke Sasaki (44)- Defeated Sting to win US title. Was top NJPW guy in the WCW vs. NJPW feud which culminated at Starrcade.

*PWI had Sabu at #5 this year because he sold magazines. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to overrate the hell out of Sabu. He was gone from his home promotion for over half the year and only held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title for a month. Sorry Kilgore.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going all out and working on something epic for 1996. Should be up later today. Tomorrow morning at the latest.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember PWI (and myself for that matter) ragging on Hogan for not defending his belt frequently, I'm surprised he got as high as number 6 on the real list. It was a bit of a shot putting US Champ Sting at 3. Plus Sting was frequently higher up in the monthly rankings than Hogan, just an observation.

Looking forward to what's in store for '96.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*So I thought 1995 was the year I would go crazy with this. Turns out it's going to be 1996. While my fandom leveled up in '95, it was very much a late year thing. By 1996 I was watching every second of WWF programming and more WCW than ever before (at least until August). Was also binging on PWI which exposed me to non-mainstream wrestling promotions. Given my extreme level of fandom I feel comfortable in going all out with the first ever.....

TOP 100 102!

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1996.html

Spoiler
    Last edited by Baker; 02-17-2017 at 03:03 AM.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've lazily followed the PWI template which went something like....

WWF
    WCW
    Sabu
    Reasonable.

*PWI had Sabu at #5 this year because he sold magazines. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to overrate the hell out of Sabu. He was gone from his home promotion for over half the year and only held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title for a month. Sorry Kilgore.
    Unreasonable.

$

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-This is such an odd year. Hogan is the obvious front runner having held the WCW title for all but one week. Yet he only wrestled 14 matches and was ranked #55 in the real PWI 500. If he didn't defend much in '96, he was even worse in '97. Then you had all these major stars (Bret, HBK, Sid, Flair, Sting, Austin) missing considerable amounts of time. The future stars of 1996 (Ahmed Johnson & Stevie Richards) saw their careers derail. WWF suffered from a serious lack of depth and WCW made some odd choices by handing out titles (mainly TV & Cruiserweight) to low midcarders. Did you know Rey Mysterio only held the Cruiserweight title he is synonymous with for two weeks? Yet irrelevant midcarders Alex Wright & a pre-awesome Chris Jericho had Cwt. title runs. The TV title bounced around like a hot potato w/ 'legends' such as Wright, Prince Iaukea & Disco Inferno holding it. Title reigns got shorter and shorter in WWF & WCW while tag team wrestling officially died as the era of the wacky tag partner began. Real life PWI said 'fuck it' and controversially awarded Dean Malenko the #1 spot. Will I do the same? Scoll down to find out!

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1997.html

*I had planned on doing another Top 100 (or at least Top 50) but grew frustrated and gave up at #32.

1. Mitsuharu Misawa (2)- Yep. In a year where chaos reigned in US wrestling Misawa was a rock of stability holding the AJPW Triple Crown title for over 11 months.

2. Undertaker [6]-Held WWF title for over 4 months. Had a memorable feud with Shawn Michaels.

3. Bret Hart (20)- "The Hitman's" greatest year imo. Was involved in several classic matches & feuds. Founded the legendary Hart Foundation. Held WWF title for over 3 months. Was awesome before being famously screwed in Montreal. Did miss a few months with injury though.

4. Shinya Hashimoto (7)- Held IWGP title for 8 months.

5. Hulk Hogan (55)- Held WCW title for 98% of the year. Remained a massive draw as NWO leader. But only wrestled 14 matches.

6. Shawn Michaels (18)- Spent a lot of time on the shelf due to injuries losing his smile. Was a massive prick in and out of the ring but did win the Tag, European and WWF championships while founding DX and having legendary feuds with Bret & Undertaker.

7. Steve Austin (3)- Won Tag & IC titles twice. Became massively over. But is another who missed time due to injury.

8. Lex Luger (5)- Had his last great year briefly winning tag & WCW championships. Spent most of the year as WCW's main hope against the evil NWO.

9. Kensuke Sasaki (36)- Closed the year by having held the IWGP championship for 4 months. Also had brief run as an IWGP tag champ.

10. Shane Douglas (42)- Held ECW TV Title for over 6 months. Then had two reigns with the ECW Championship lasting 3 combined months.

11. British Bulldog (22)- Beat Owen in an epic Raw match to become inaugural European champ. Held title for over 6 months before getting HBKed. Also held tag title with Owen for nearly 5 months.

12. Owen Hart (16)- Opened the year w/ a near 5 month tag title reign. Also captured IC title twice with a combined reign lasting over 4 months. Pinned Steve Austin!

13. Kevin Nash (13)- Held WCW tag title for over 9 months with Scott Hall. Was a driving force in the game-changing NWO.

14. Scott Hall (34)- See above.

15. The Giant (8)- Held WCW tag title for a day. Remained a major player as he fluctuated between being NWO & anti-NWO.

16. Taz (11)- Held ECW TV title for almost 6 months. Suplexed & choked out a lot people. Was awesome.

17. Mick Foley (51)- Won tag titles with Steve Austin. Won a feud over Triple H. Was great on interviews. Did 3 gimmicks at the same time. What a guy!

18. Triple H (31)- Held IC title for over a month and European title for under a month. Won KOTR. Founding father of DX. Started coming into his own as a bonafide superstar.

19. DDP (4)- Held his own in a feud with the legendary Randy Savage. Continued to gain popularity as he fought the NWO. Won US Title in late December.

20. Randy Savage (20)- Another NWO member. This one unselfishly put DDP on the map in their lengthy feud.

21. Jushin Liger (9)- Held J-Crown for over half the year.

22. Kenta Kobashi (15)- Opened the year as AJPW Triple Crown champion. Also won the AJPW tag title twice w/ Johnny Ace. Their combined reigns lasted over 4 months.

23. Eddie Guerrero (24)- Held US title for 2 1/2 months. Also held Cruiserweight title twice for 3 combined months. Had a legendary match w/ Rey.

24. Dean Malenko (1)- Held US title for almost 3 months. Also held Cruiserweight title for a month. Good year but very much NOT #1 worthy.

25. Curt Hennig (NR)- Had an impactful return to wrestling by holding the WCW US title for over 3 months after being out of action for four years.

26. Lord Steven Regal (80)- Had two more reigns with his TV Title totaling almost 4 months.

27. Ultimo Dragon (12)- Lost the J-Crown & WCW Cwt. title in January but did win the TV title twice with combined reigns lasting over 2 months.

28. Syxx (21)- The NWO member became the longest reigning Cwt. champion to date by holding the title for over 4 months.

29. Shinjiro Otani (91)- Held the J-Crown/IWGP Junior Heavyweight title for over 4 months.

30. The Rock (103)- Won the IC title twice. His first reign sucked while his second marked the beginning of something great.

31. Raven (39)- Jumped to WCW after starting the year by holding the ECW title for over 3 months.

32. Terry Funk (60)- Capped off ECW's first PPV by winning the ECW championship. Held it for almost 4 months.

*May add to this at some point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple Crown champs tended to rank higher than IWGP champs for whatever reason
    My hypothesis would be PWI favouring All Japan due to it being an NWA member. Or maybe because the guys making the lists were tape traders and loved them some AJPW.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    4. Great Muta (13)- Defeated Hashimoto to regain IWGP Championship. Held the title for 8 months. Made at least one WCW PPV appearance.
    5. Mitsuharu Misawa (10)- Defeated Hansen to regain AJPW Triple Crown in May. Continued to hold title by year's end.
    Mutoh was tag champ until he defeated the ace Hash to win the IWGP title and vacated his tag one. Then he won the G1 Climax, defeating ace Hash again in the final. Misawa won the Champion Carnival and the RWTL, in addition to his Triple Crown reign. Both should be above Bret.

I'd say Taue should be the highest ranked All Japan guy of 1996. Won the Champion Carnival, won the Triple Crown by defeating the ace Misawa (which neither Kobashi or Kawada had managed to do yet) and then was the main reason that he and Kawada ended their 3-year quest to win the RWTL.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    My hypothesis would be PWI favouring All Japan due to it being an NWA member. Or maybe because the guys making the lists were tape traders and loved them some AJPW.
    PWI took into consideration the quality of competition. Kawada, Kobashi, Taue, Doc etc. were considered tougher completion than Chono, Muto, Sasaki etc. Plus AJPW seemed to have more frequent marquee championship matches than NJPW.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Somehow managed to be a much more stable year than 1997 in spite of a plethora of one day title reigns and awful thrown together tag teams.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1998.html

1. Steve Austin (1)- Won Royal Rumble and held WWF title twice for almost 6 combined months. Became the official biggest star in wrestling.

2. Bill Goldberg (2)- Topped The Giant as most successful rookie ever by holding WCW title for almost 6 months and US title for over 2 months. Also had a famous lengthy undefeated streak.

3. Mitsuharu Misawa (3)- Held AJPW Triple Crown for 6 months.

4. Kenta Kobashi [6]- Held AJPW Triple Crown for over 4 months.

5. The Rock (11)- Held IC title for 8 months and had a 1 month+ WWF title reign late in the year. Bonus points for being the most entertaining man in wrestling in this guy's opinion.

6. Sting (12)- Held WCW title for over 2 months. Also held their tag titles for over 4 months. Was booked terribly in spite of these good-on-paper accolades.

7. Jushin Liger (9)- Held IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title for nearly 11 months.

8. Undertaker (5)- Only a two week tag title reign with Steve Austin in terms of championship accomplishments but was a major player all year with wins in famous matches over top talent like Kane & Foley. Also took Austin to the limit at Summerslam.

9. Kane (21)- Had a 1 day WWF title reign and also held the tag titles for over a month on two reigns.

10. Mick Foley (26)- The perennial title contender finally won the big one late in the year (though it didn't officially air until 1999). Also had a few tag title reigns lasting over a month. Main evented PPVs early & late in year. Was famously thrown off Hell In A Cell. Again showed remarkable versatility.

11. Rob Van Dam (14)- Held the ECW TV title for almost 9 months and had two ECW tag title reigns comprising over 4 months. Officially became the Whole f'n Show.

12. Tatsumi Fujinami (13)- Held IWGP title for over 4 months.

13. Chris Jericho (10)- Broke out by holding the Cruiserweight title for over 4 months, TV title for almost 4 months, and becoming the most entertaining part of WCW programming in the eyes of many.

14. Ken Shamrock (8)- Ended year over 2 months into an IC title reigns. Also held tag titles for 2 weeks with Bossman because wrestling was kind of stupid in 1998. Won KOTR as well.

15. Triple H (24)- Took over DX. Held European title for over 4 months & IC title for over a month.

16. Bret Hart (40)- Held US title for over 4 months. I was not previously aware of this. Was still booked terribly in the opinion of everybody ever.

17. Toshiaki Kawada (17)- Finally defeated his nemesis Misawa to win the AJPW Triple Crown. Stupidly lost it barely over a month later. Also held AJPW tag straps w/ longtime partner Taue for nearly the entire year.

18. DDP (4)- Held US title for over two months early in the year. Famously took Goldberg to the limit at Halloween Havoc. Still tended to be Steiners/Lawler level overrated by PWI during this period.

19. Kevin Nash (39)- Followed a World War III victory by ending Goldberg's long undefeated streak to win the WCW title at Starrcade. Also held WCW tag titles for nearly 4 months.

20. Hulk Hogan (53)- Held WCW title for over 2 months. Wrestled over 3 times as many matches (48) than he did in 1997 (14).

21. Booker T (7)- Had multiple TV titles reigns lasting nearly 5 combined months.

22. Kensuke Sasaki (23)- Held IWGP title over 3 months.

23. Shane Douglas (30)- Held ECW title the entire year but missed considerable time with injuries.

24. Taz (36)- His long TV title reign ended 2 months into the year when Bam Bam Bigelow famously put him through the ring. He rebounded by defeating Bigelow in a rematch and creating his own FTW title.

25. Bam Bam Bigelow (48)- Only ECW TV title for a month after beating Taz. Jumped to WCW late in the year where he feuded with their champion Goldberg.

26. Akira Taue (51)- Held AJPW tag titles with Kawada for nearly the entire year.

27. Masa Chono (46)- Held IWGP tag titles for nearly 5 months. Finally won IWGP title. Injuries cut his reign short at just over a month.

28. Scott Hall (57)- Held WCW tag titles for nearly 7 months. It's not as impressive as it sounds.

29. Sabu (33)- Held ECW tag titles twice w/ RVD. Reigns lasted over 4 months combined.

30. Lex Luger (29)- Had a 1 day US title run.

31. The Giant (31)- Held WCW tag titles for nearly 4 months.

32. Kidman (132)- The breakout Cruiserweight division star held that title for over 3 months spanning several reigns.

33. Raven (61)- The Flock leader had a 1 day US title reign.

34. Chris Candido (45)- The Triple Threat member held the ECW tag titles w/ Lance Storm for nearly 6 months.

35. Billy Gunn (62)- New Age Outlaws had multiple tag title reigns spanning over 6 combined months. Were the biggest 'star' WWF tag team in years. Joined DX.

36. Road Dogg (73)- See above.

37. Lance Storm (78)- Held ECW tag titles for nearly 6 months with feuding partner Chris Candido.

38. Randy Savage (16)- Held WCW title for a day. Missed a lot of time.

39. XPac (133)- Joined DX & held the European title for nearly 3 months after jumping back to WWF.

40. D'Lo Brown (120)- The Nation member held the European title for nearly 3 months.

41. Owen Hart (15)- Opened the year with a near-two month European title reign. It was all downhill from there.

42. Rick Steiner (66)- Held WCW tag title for over 4 months on paper.

43. Juventud Guerrera- Had two Cwt. title reigns lasting over a month combined.

44. Shawn Michaels (49)- Opened the year with a 3 month WWF title reign. Didn't wrestle after that.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Today we travel so far back in time that the PWI 500 wasn't even a thing yet and long title reigns were still the norm.

*Fwiw I've come up with my rankings independent of PWI influence. Then I'll check afterwards to see where PWI ranked people and to make sure I didn't forget anybody obvious. Of course I did remember certain rankings. Especially those from 95-97.

1. Ultimate Warrior- Wore championship gold & the entire year- IC title for 3 months & WWF championship for 9. Was undefeated the entire year. Pinned Hogan cleanly at Wrestlemania in front of 60,000+ fans to win WWF championship. Became 1st man to simultaneously hold WWF World & IC titles. This honestly has a shot at being the greatest kayfabe year any wrestler ever had.

2 Sting- Came back from injury to hold NWA title for nearly 6 months and become the new face of the company. Missed some time but I had to put him over Flair due to Sting owning him every time they met.

3. Ric Flair- Held NWA title for over 6 months. Lead the Horsemen. Had memorable feuds with Sting & Luger.

4. Hulk Hogan- His latest WWF title reign ended 3 months into the year when he was pinned cleanly by Warrior. Also won Royal Rumble while WWF champion and feuded with Earthquake.

5. Stan Hansen- Had two AJPW Triple Crown reigns lasting over 6 combined months. Also held AJPW tag titles and even held NWA US title for over a month. Hansen was busy winning titles all over the world in 1990.

6. Lex Luger- Held NWA US title most of the year and took Flair to the limit in several NWA title matches.

7. Vader- Held IWGP title for over 7 months. Famously held major championships on 3 continents in a favorite PWI factoid.

8. Arn Anderson- The Horsemen member held NWA TV Title for over 11 months.

9. Jumbo Tsuruta- Held AJPW Triple Crown for over 5 months.

10. Mr. Perfect- Held WWF IC title twice for over 5 combined months.

11. Riki Choshu- Held IWGP title for over 4 months.

12. Jushin Liger- Held IWGP Junior Heavyweight title for over 9 months.

13. Larry Zbyszko- The greatest AWA champion sent the promotion off with two title reigns lasting most of the year.

14. Jerry Lawler- Held USWA title multiple times for over 5 combined months. Starpower & promotional important matter. Lawler had name value due to having recently been an AWA champ. USWA tv was also syndicated across America including here in MD. I should have watched it more! He hadn't yet become a (totally awesome) clown in WWF. Hence a higher ranking here than in subsequent years.

15. Mr. Saito- Held AWA title for over a month and IWGP tag gold for nearly 4.

16. Texas Tornado- Beat Mr. Perfect to begin a nearly 4 month IC title reign but honestly never felt like much of a big deal even at the time.

17. Earthquake- Held no titles but did feel like a big deal due to his feud with Hogan.

18. Terry Gordy- Had a few brief AJPW Triple Crown reigns and a long AJPW tag title reign teaming with Dr. Death.

Random Thoughts- This was an easy year to catalog. I don't think of Vader & Liger being 'stars' that early on but they obviously were. I may go back and expand some years. But only to 20-25! Doubt we'll ever see another Top 102

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Time to finish up the 90s. Wins & losses had less importance than at any other time in wrestling history and titles continued to be passed around like hot potatoes. Television ratings were also at an all time high. Coincidence?

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/1999.html

1. Rob Van Dam (2)- In a year when titles became less important than ever, and wins & losses ceased to matter in the Big Two, RVD held the ECW TV title the entire year and also wore ECW tag gold for over 3 months.

2. Taz (10)- Finally won the ECW title and spent the next 8 months as the most dominating world champion in US wrestling.

3. Keiji Mutoh (7)- Held IGWP title nearly all year.

4. Mitsuharu Misawa (3)- Had 2 AJPW Triple Crown title reigns lasting nearly 7 combined months.

5. Steve Austin (1)- The biggest star in wrestling held WWF title twice for nearly 4 combined months.

6. Hollywood Hogan (44)- Had several WCW title reigns lasting over 4 combined months. Wrestled 40 matches.

7. The Rock (5)- Surprisingly only held WWF title for a little over a month. Also had a few brief tag title reigns w/ Mick Foley.

8. Mick Foley (19)- Had 3 brief WWF title reigns lasting a combined month & a half. Also had multiple tag title reigns lasting over 1 combined month.

9. Undertaker (8)- Held WWF title for a month. Also had two brief tag title reigns. Lead Ministry of Darkness.

10. Kevin Nash (14)- Held WCW title for over 2 months over the span of two reigns, one of which I never knew/forgot existed until today.

11. Vader (18)- Experienced a career resurgence by winning AJPW Triple Crown title twice for almost 5 combined months.

12. Triple H (26)- Finally won the big one and then he did it again. His combined reigns lasted over 2 months.

13. Big Show (34)- Jumped to WWF where he had two brief tag title reigns and was into a month plus (midcard) reign with WWF title as year ended. Still felt like a massive bust.

14. Bret Hart (56)- For all the flack Bret's WCW run gets, he did collect a lot of gold. Held US title for nearly 2 months and won the WCW title twice with over a one month combined reign.

15. Sting (12)- Held WCW title twice for over a month combined.

16. DDP [6]- Like seemingly everybody else on this list, he had two brief World title runs- WCW in this case. Also held tag titles as leader of the Jersey Triad.

17. Jeff Jarrett (36)- Perhaps the year's most decorated gold collector. JJ held WWF IC, European & Tag titles in addition to WCW US title after jumping ship late in the year.

18. Rey Mysterio Jr. (4)- Held WCW Cruiserweight title for nearly five months over the span of multiple reigns. Also wore tag gold teaming with Kidman.

19. Jushin Liger (15)- Held IWGP Junior Championship for about five months.

20. Mike Awesome (NR)- Ended Taz's reign to become ECW champion in September.

21. Bill Goldberg (9)- Was still kind of a big deal who won a lot of matches despite cooling off considerably from his red hot 1998. Won tag titles w/ Bret for 6 days because 1999.

22. Scott Steiner (17)- Held WCW US title for almost 3 months.

23. Kane (13)- Held WWF tag titles w/ XPac for over 2 months.

24. XPac (30)- Held European title for over a month at the start of the year and also had two title reigns w/ Kane lasting over 2 combined months.

25. Jerry Lynn (49)- Became a major player in ECW by taking RVD to the limit in several TV title matches.

*I'm probably going to expand the other years to a Top 20 or 25. Then I'll do some math and crown a Wrestler of the 90s.

*May or may not do the 80s and/or 2000s at some point.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you're hot you're hot.

1. Ric Flair- An all time great year from both a kayfabe & smark perspective. Held NWA title for 9 months. Had legendary feuds and matches with Steamboat & Funk.

2. Hulk Hogan- Held WWF title for 9 months after regaining the belt from Randy Savage at Wrestlemania.

3. Randy Savage- Held WWF title for 3 months early in the year. Had memorable feud with Hogan. Became a King.

4. Ricky Steamboat- Had legendary feud with Flair. Held NWA title for over two months.

5. Ultimate Warrior- Held IC title twice for over 7 combined months.

6. Lex Luger- Held US title twice for over 9 combined months.

7. Larry Zbyszko- Held AWA title for nearly 11 months. Was awesome.

8. Jerry Lawler- Had multiple USWA title reigns lasting over 10 combined months during the peak era of importance for that title.

9. Terry Funk- Had legendary feud & matches with Ric Flair as the top heel in "NWA."

10. Sting- Held TV title for almost 4 months. Had memorable feud with Great Muta. Won the Starrcade round robin tournament.

11. Great Muta- Held TV title for almost 4 months. Had memorable feud with Sting.

12. Vader- Held IWGP title twice for nearly 6 combined months.

13. Rick Rude- Held IC title for nearly 5 months. Became 1st man to pin Ultimate Warrior.

14. Jumbo Tsuruta- Became first AJPW Triple Crown champion. Held title twice for over 4 combined months.

15. Genichiro Tenryu- Was AJPW Triple Crown champion for over 4 months.

16. Stan Hansen- Held the PWF World Heavyweight & NWA United National Championships for over 3 months. They would become part of the prestigious AJPW Triple Crown championship in April.

17. Tatsumi Fujinami- Held IWGP championship for nearly 4 months.

18. Riki Choshu- Held IWGP championship for nearly a month. Also had two IWGP tag titles reigns lasting nearly 4 combined months.

19. Mr. Perfect- Had long undefeated streak. Feuded with WWF champion Hulk Hogan.

20. Salman Hashimikov- This Russian shooter held the IWGP title for over a month.
    *Shin, Strobe, tell me more about this guy. I've seen the name over the years but that's about it.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information