View Poll Results: Which match would you rather main event Wrestlemania 33 for the Universal Championsh?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens

    21 47.73%
  • Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

    23 52.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Which match compells you the most?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lawrence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,925
    vCash
    8704
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness_Bolt View Post
    It does compell me & it compells most of the audience. The Survivor Series match with them drew massive attention. Rematch for the title @ Mania? Enormous. And no, Goldberg / Lesnar wasn't ever about a video game. It was about 2 massive stars facing off v each other

    I see a flawed "storyline" for Jericho & Owens anyway. It's been months of the same with them not actually building towards anything. They're in the same place they were 4 months ago. They're still teaming together & no indication of who would be face or heel when they feud. I always felt Owens / Jericho would've peaked better at the Rumble but it's just too long in the same place now without advancement for a strong Mania feud

    To argue most would rather see Owens / Jericho over Goldberg / Lesnar comes off as very naive

    Sweetness_Bolt and I have been disagreeing over which match would compell the audience most, and which match people would rather see at Wrestlemania 33 for the Universal Championship.

    So I'm putting it to the test.

    Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens; fresh match, months worth of storyline, 2 full time guys, 1 young WWE star who could carry WWE for years to come, etc etc.

    Or

    Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar III; 2 part timers, illogical and rushed storyline surrounding the Universal Championship, match would consist of 4 moves, one guy can't last 5 minutes, etc etc.

  2. #2
    The Boss The Show's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,581
    vCash
    2008
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Well I'm glad you aren't showing your bias here

    I think Sweetness meant that Goldberg/Brock would appeal more to the masses and the casuals; not a group of people on a wrestling forum.

    Anyway, it's Goldberg/Lesnar. That's the marquee match to me. The KO/Jericho tandem have clogged up the Raw main event scene for months. Goldberg/Lesnar has been brilliantly booked from the get go imo.

    All credit goes to surrender!

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,882
    vCash
    1166
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Yeah, the bias in the OP with a poll involved is ridiculous.

    Anyways, it's obviously Brock/Goldberg. I threw in my 2 cents in the other thread about this, but people who don't follow wrestling will automatically turn off their televisions when the main event of Y2J (hey, didn't he have long hair?) and Kevin Owens (yo, that dudes fat!) appear on the screen. Their storyline isn't even main event worthy. It sucks that Owens gets fat shamed, because he is a beast in the ring BUT this is sports entertainment and that's not a sports body. He's already gotten further with that body then guys like Vader and Bigelow were ever given a chance to and that's good.

    Brock and Golberg are two legends that are on a different tier of legend then Chris Jericho. They're on God levels. Brock won the biggest belt in the UFC, real wrestling. Goldberg has the longest winning streak for someone to debut ever. I mean, it's fucking Brock Lesnar and Bill fucking Goldberg. That should be enough said.

    This really isn't even close. A closer argument would have been Taker/Cena and honestly at this point, Undertaker and Reigns is worth more of the main event then Owens/Jericho.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lawrence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,925
    vCash
    8704
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Show View Post
    Well I'm glad you aren't showing your bias here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Yeah, the bias in the OP with a poll involved is ridiculous.
    Maybe, although it's because I struggle to see any positives in another match between the 2. In fact the only positives are that it's put 2 part timers in 1 match so it's avoided them hogging 2 spots, and that it ended Brock's god awful reign of terror.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,882
    vCash
    1166
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Maybe, although it's because I struggle to see any positives in another match between the 2. In fact the only positives are that it's put 2 part timers in 1 match so it's avoided them hogging 2 spots, and that it ended Brock's god awful reign of terror.
    Jericho is about to leave on tour. You know that, right? Like right after WM?

  6. #6
    The Boss The Show's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,581
    vCash
    2008
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Maybe, although it's because I struggle to see any positives in another match between the 2. In fact the only positives are that it's put 2 part timers in 1 match so it's avoided them hogging 2 spots, and that it ended Brock's god awful reign of terror.
    Well if your goal was to have a fair and honest poll then you should've left the lame ass biasness out of it. I said my two cents and I'm already done with this.

    The poll will be more than likely be close; disproving your point anyways.

    All credit goes to surrender!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lawrence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,925
    vCash
    8704
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Jericho is about to leave on tour. You know that, right? Like right after WM?
    Yes... your point?

    Jericho has been full time for the last 13 months (15 by the time Mania arrives), carried Raw almost entirely every week, been central surrounding the Universal Championship picture since August, so he absolutely qualifies for a main event, Universal Championship match at Wrestlemania.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lawrence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,925
    vCash
    8704
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Show View Post
    Well if your goal was to have a fair and honest poll then you should've left the lame ass biasness out of it. I said my two cents and I'm already done with this.

    The poll will be more than likely be close; disproving your point anyways.
    I've just argued my point in the first post, of course I'm going to be bias towards my side of the argument. People are smart on here, they can vote on their own accord.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,882
    vCash
    1166
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    The point is clear. Jericho outshined Owens. That means a guy from the past (who is about to leave) outshined the guy of the future. Kevin Owens was given the title and wasn't able to bring himself to an elite level that could warrant him main eventing WM.

    Not even top 5, bruh.

  10. #10
    The Boss The Show's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,581
    vCash
    2008
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Goldberg is the most over babyface on the roster right now and fans know what they want him from him. People pay to see him annihilate his opponent. They want to see a spear and a jackhammer; not a 20 minute match. Same with Lesnar. Wrestlemania is a spectacle and a global phenomenon which is a great way for WWE to attract new eyeballs to the product. Brock/Goldberg is the way to go to achieve that imo.

    I'm not trying to shit on KO/Jericho. I've started to care about their eventual break up lately. But I think their break up will be most effective if KO loses his title due to inadvertent interference from Jericho. The title is the reason why they are friends and KO pretty much uses Jericho to help himself keep the title. Once he loses the title, the friendship should be over.

    All credit goes to surrender!

  11. #11
    Moderator Emperor's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,445
    vCash
    16992
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Goldberg/Lesnar by a mile. I don't expect the match to be long or particularly sophisticated, but I expect it would entertain me more than any other match at Wrestlemania. The main reason for that is the reason I love every Brock Lesnar match: it's different from every other match. Massively different. There's a genuine unpredictability about Lesnar matches because of how they are booked and how Lesnar wrestles. It's refreshing. Also, their story is really good. Nobody can touch Lesnar, here comes Goldberg and embarrasses him, twice. Now we have the rubber match where Lesnar ought to be more cautious, treating Goldberg as an equal. That's intriguing.

    Jericho and Owens have indeed been the highlight of Raw, and one of the few good things about it, but only because of their talking segments. I don't have a particular desire to see either man wrestle, whether it's against each other or against anyone else. Also the whole "friends turn on each other and have a big match" is so played out in WWE. The build might be surprisingly good because of Jericho's creativity, but my expectations are not particularly high. Is this match even a lock?

  12. #12
    The Boss The Show's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,581
    vCash
    2008
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Goldberg/Lesnar by a mile. I don't expect the match to be long or particularly sophisticated, but I expect it would entertain me more than any other match at Wrestlemania. The main reason for that is the reason I love every Brock Lesnar match: it's different from every other match. Massively different. There's a genuine unpredictability about Lesnar matches because of how they are booked and how Lesnar wrestles. It's refreshing. Also, their story is really good. Nobody can touch Lesnar, here comes Goldberg and embarasses him, twice. Now we have the rubber match where Lesnar ought to be more cautious, treating Goldberg as an equal. That's intriguing.

    Jericho and Owens have indeed been the highlight of Raw, and one of the few good things about it, but only because of their talking segments. I don't have a particular desire to see either man wrestle, whether it's against each other or against anyone else. Also the whole "friends turn on each other and have a big match" is so played out in WWE. The build might be surprisingly good because of Jericho's creativity, but my expectations are not particularly high. Is this match even a lock?
    Agreed with all of this and you said it better than I could.

    I admit I'm a mark for Goldberg. I love his presence and the energy he brings every time he steps in a ring. I also love that Brock has shown a vulnerability by meeting his match. It will force him to change his game plan. I'm intrigued.

    All credit goes to surrender!

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    852
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    I'm not that interested in seeing Brock finally go over Goldberg... and it shouldn't be for the title. I don't hate what the match will be, in fact it'll be enjoyable... but the build is a yawnfest. In what world, I wonder, are all these people that claim the match needs the title? Are they the same people who said Rock vs Cena II needed the title? What about Roman vs. HHH last year?

    If anything the title is made more important in the Jericho and Owens feud because it becomes a legitimate alibi for two friends to fight... not by one of two part-timers winning it only to drop it a month later, probably without even being pinned.

    All the decision to put the Universal title on the line in the Brock vs. Goldberg match will show is just how wrong the WWE got it with the branding of it. First title to ever be hated by the fans from the outset.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sillyrabbit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    530
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    I've liked Jericho as a character for years and enjoy the pairing of he and Owens. Although he's old now and the Walls Of Jericho finisher isn't the same finisher anymore, he's still a solid worker in the ring and speaker on the microphone. So I would expect a good match between he and Owens. On the other hand, a Goldberg versus Lesnar match does nothing for me. That is, I don't care about them. Admittedly, I used to like Lesnar during his first stint in the WWE. However, I just don't like him anymore. Goldberg? I've never liked Pukeberg.
    Last edited by sillyrabbit; 02-08-2017 at 08:55 PM.


    "It's the sad thing about entertainment, it's not always about who is the best."
    - Jake "The Snake" Roberts

  15. #15
    Eccentric enigma Soulblazed's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,880
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Aight now here's the thing..I've been a Lesnar fan since he debuted..The only way this match could be interesting and actually watchable to me, (unlike their Wrestlemania 20 shitfest, whether they were both leaving WWE or not they could've put on a better match) is if Lesnar does change his gameplan, doesn't rely on German Suplexes all the time and instead goes after Goldberg's shoulder....Maybe Lesnar wears down Goldberg with body/head/body punch combos, along with some ground and pound elbow strikes to Goldberg's skull, hopefully making Goldberg bleed...Maybe Lesnar beats Goldberg with the Kimura, or even chokes him out with an Arm Triangle Choke(the same move he beat Shane Carwin with in UFC), along with showing Goldberg's wife and kid in the front row crying while afterwards Lesnar and Heyman laugh in their faces as they walk to the back.

    Far as Owens vs Jericho...IF it is for the Universal Title, that be nice..Either way, Owens should go over, but snap on Jericho and go back to being a vicious motherfucker...In various points in the match, Owens can say "Chris, I don't wanna do this"(as he gives him stiff shots to the skull) "But you leave me no other choice". Hell, maybe Kevin can even "put Jericho down" by using his old finisher, the Package Piledriver(if Vince would let Owens use it for one time only). He could admit that while Jericho was a good friend to him, he was an even better insurance policy in helping Owens keep the Universal Title but since it's Wrestlemania 33, Owens had to prove to everyone that he can take Jericho out once and for all. Hence why maybe, just possibly, Owens could use the Package Piledriver on Jericho to destroy him and win the match..

    Now, say that happens...Owens could spend the rest of the year taking people out. Not with the Package Piledriver, mind you, since Helmsley would "ban" Owens from ever using that move again after he takes Jericho out with it, leading to Jericho being stretched outta Wrestlemania 33...Instead, Owens could use his Powerbomb onto the apron of the ring to "destroy" his opponents for the rest of the year...Hell, for me, that'd be better than simply a run of the mill 15 minute match between the 2 of them.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Jack Nichols's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,613
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    I think its easily Goldberg vs Lesnar. They are expected to have a huge blowoff match given how their feud has played out.

    Jericho vs Kevin Owens would barely main event Raw these days, especially with Roman and Rollins/HHH going on.

    Banner Credit: Spike

  17. #17
    is not your buddy, guy.

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    21,895
    vCash
    4097
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    I think Owens and Jericho deserve it more since they've pretty much carried Raw on their backs since Owens won the title, but I also don't give a shit.

    So far nothing about Wrestlemania excites me. When I know who AJ Styles is fighting maybe I'll care.

  18. #18
    Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Centurion, South Africa
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Goldberg vs Lesnar will be like any other part-timer Main Event PPV match. Super hyped up with everyone buying into it and getting all excited for how epic of a clash it will be, and when the actual match happens it's a snooze fest and the hype dies and nobody apart from Vince's erection is happy. So I'm going with Jericho vs KO
    Fuck The Revival!

  19. #19
    Senior Member RamboApocalypse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    100
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Goldberg Vs. Brock Lesnar. The match needs it. If Brock Lesnar defeats Golderg in a singles match for nothing he's still 2-1 down overall + the Royal Rumble elimination. With no titles on the line if he wants to protect his legacy he should be demanding 3 or 4 matches, not just one. With just one it doesn't matter who wins because Goldberg will still have an unassailable lead.

    If Brock Lesnar beats Goldberg for a title, however, it would be reasonable to think he'd avenged the defeats and restored his legacy.

    If two competitors in any sport meet each other in non-title matches and one of them wins, but then they lose in the match for a title, it's only the title win that people care about.

    The only thing that annoys me is that the match was set before Goldberg won the title. That didn't make any sense. I'm glad they're fixing it by adding the title into it.

    Another thing is that you can't have Goldberg be a believable opponent for Brock Lesnar if he's just lost to Kevin Owens. Kevin Owens has never been portrayed as being in Brock Lesnar's league.


    Chris Jericho Vs. Kevin Owens will be for the US title, but it's a match you could do without any title at all and it would still make sense. They feud because their friendship broke up - best friends make the worst enemies. It doesn't need the Universal Title as well.

    Neither match should Main Event. That main event should be Undertaker/Reigns or Triple H/Seth Rollins.

  20. #20
    Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London, England
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,863
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Goldberg vs Lesnar is the bigger match up that overshadows all. Makes sense for it to be for the title. I love JKO, but Lesnar and Goldberg are fucking awesome, legendary, near mythical, God-like, entities in the wrestling world. Everybody seems to think it is a given that Lesnar gets the victory, but I'm not so certain, which, at least from a personal perspective, adds to my excitement for their 3rd encounter. Unlike their sham at XX, everybody in a position of power backstage will do their best to make sure they will have the best match possible.

    That being said, much like AJ being wrote out of the WWE World Title picture for the biggest show of the wrestling year, it's a tough pill to swallow for the shining lights of the Raw brand. But that' the current Wrestlemania modus operandi for ya'. It's become a supershow entity unto itself rather than a representation of current affairs. It definitely sucks as it shouldn't be like that, as it makes the rest of what the company does throughout the year inconsequential, but it is what it is, man. It isn't gonna change for a while either.

    It would also be a huge deal for this ling KO fan to see him walk into Mania as champ, but it ain't doomsday yet. He'll have other chances, and it will motivate him to push the envelope harder. I mean, it's not the first time he's faced stumbling blocks in his career. He'll get over it and his stock will continue to rise. Ditto for AJ.

    Bottom line: As much as I think a KO vs CJ match at mania deserves to be for the Universal Championship, it is nowhere near as high profile as Bill Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar. Seeing as those two jocks are member of the Raw roster, and are the top guys on the brand/in the company (?), why devalue the championship by having lower tier guys competing for it?

    Side note: the part timer as champ thing doesn't bother me. In fact, I actually lean in favour of the champ being around less than the rest of a roster hustling to become the number one contender. It makes whoever it is challenging for the title seem special as the hype of having the champ on the show gives them a big rub by association alone.
    Last edited by KashDinero; 02-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

  21. #21
    2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,023
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Love how I was careless when voting & picked the wrong option Mobile voting is quite difficult with smaller screens

    You're certainly capable of enjoying Owens / Jericho more. I want to enjoy it but haven't. It hasn't gone anywhere & the buildup still hasn't started for a feud that we knew was coming 4 months ago. They waited too long to pull the trigger on the build. Owens has held the belt too long I feel confident about that

    Goldberg & Lesnar are 2 of the 4 biggest stars who'll be at WM (Along with Taker & Cena) & it's the biggest match. Been built since Goldberg showed up in October. Clearly the Mania audience will care more. It makes sense for the title match to be the biggest match. I don't care that it'll be short. It'll still be very sweet

    In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

  22. #22
    Looking for adventure FV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Buckeye Country
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,515
    vCash
    2647
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    From a storyline standpoint both are doing a great job for me, but for me I'm more intrigued with Goldberg and Lesnar. I find Y2J very entertaining, but he's put so many people it's like Foley when they jobbed him to every up and comer. His matches minus a few spots leave little excitement as we know he's going to lose.

  23. #23
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    338
    vCash
    2656
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    If we're going to say "main event" as in closing the show then it should be the matching featuring the Royal Rumble WINNER!

  24. #24
    Moderator UT's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23,647
    vCash
    0
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyRo View Post
    If we're going to say "main event" as in closing the show then it should be the matching featuring the Royal Rumble WINNER!
    No one wants to see Orton/Bray and certainly not Orton/Cena close out that show. And before you start a poll , I'm sure there are like three people out there who would prove me wrong.

    The idea the Rumble Winner has to close the show in 2017 is silly.

  25. #25
    Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (Georgia)
    Age
    31
    Posts
    22,439
    vCash
    3106
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

    As much as I can't stand that Brock/Goldberg is the headline act in 2017...

    It's the headline act in 2017. Part-timers or not, they're the biggest named match with the biggest drawing power. Serious fans will get Owens/Jericho in what should be a classic, but they'll also get more eyes on them because of the pull that Brock/Goldy will have as the main event.

    Now if we're asking what's more compelling, I think it depends who you ask. To long-term fans it's easily Owens/Jericho at this point. Lesnar is 0-3 against Brock, Owens and Jericho has built for 2/3 of a year (which casuals won't understand). But to the casuals, it's EASILY Goldberg/Lesnar. They're household names that are megastars from the past and have crossover appeal in different ventures away from WWE. It doesn't need a story to draw attention.

    THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE


    I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •