View Poll Results: Which match would you rather main event Wrestlemania 33 for the Universal Championsh?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens

21 47.73%
  • Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

23 52.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which match compells you the most?

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which match compells you the most?

What the hell does "long term WWE fan" even mean? The Goldberg/Lesnar story goes back 13 years ago.

Is Jericho/KO having a classic match a lock at this point? Jericho hasn't had a good singles match since returning and has dragged down the likes of Styles, Ambrose, and Reigns in matches. KO has been utterly disappointing since winning the title. Haven't enjoyed that run at all and most of his PPV matches were bad. There's potential for something good though because they do have good chemistry together. Hopefully it translate to the ring.

All credit goes to surrender!

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted Leaner v Goldy.

But my vote doesn't count. I love Lesnar and I really don't care who he fights. I just like Lesnar.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Show View Post
    What the hell does "long term WWE fan" even mean? The Goldberg/Lesnar story goes back 13 years ago.

Is Jericho/KO having a classic match a lock at this point? Jericho hasn't had a good singles match since returning and has dragged down the likes of Styles, Ambrose, and Reigns in matches. KO has been utterly disappointing since winning the title. Haven't enjoyed that run at all and most of his PPV matches were bad. There's potential for something good though because they do have good chemistry together. Hopefully it translate to the ring.

Perhaps the better term would be the consistent fan as opposed to the long-term fan. It's more geared towards those that are the diehard fans of the product and not the "casual since I was a teenager" type.

As far as the Jericho skill comment, I think he's had more than solid matches. A few that were disappointing. Nothing ground-breaking. But he's done well enough.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've liked KO's matches. Just like Y2J's run as Undisputed Champion, though, he hasn't been afforded any PPV wins without a screwy finish. I know he's the heel, and heels cheat to win, but every time? Come on, man, dude beat JC clean in his first WWE main roster match. As a heel. He deserves better than that. Some would argue that he doesn't even deserve the title period, but many do. A clean victory on a couple PPV's over the last seven months would have been more productive all around. Saying that, I guess the long term plan has been Brock vs Bill for the Universal Championship, so it's no wonder they haven't truly pulled the trigger on Kevin yet. It's up in the air if they ever will.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goldberg/Lesnar by miles.

I couldn't care less about Owens or Jericho. Raw has been absolutely appalling with the focus on them for so long. I can't wait for Jericho to go away again.
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah with Jericho coming and going I really cannot get into him long term because I know in the end, he will take off again.

I love Goldberg this time around. He knows his time is limited and he seems to be really trying to make up for being an asshat for years. Fuck, despite working short matches, he is still training for longer ones.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Yeah with Jericho coming and going I really cannot get into him long term because I know in the end, he will take off again.
    YET..

I love Goldberg this time around. He knows his time is limited and he seems to be really trying to make up for being an asshat for years. Fuck, despite working short matches, he is still training for longer ones.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care about what draws or what casual fans want or any of the other stuff that's been discussed in this thread so far.

And Goldberg vs. Lesnar is still the match that compells me more. Chris Jericho used to be my favorite wrestler in the world, but in the last year and a half, his in-ring work has looked very much like that of a 46-year old. That DDPYoga ain't helping as well as he says it is on his podcast. I love Kevin Owens. I love everything Kevin Owens represents, and the longer he's Universal Champion, the longer I get to laugh in the faces of the haters. Stay salty.

But I dislike Brock Lesnar and his entire run in recent years, and seeing Goldberg demolish him is fun.

But here's another question. Why, in kayfabe, is this match even happening? Goldberg destroyed Lesnar once, and punked him out in the Royal Rumble? Why would Goldberg bother with another match with Lesnar? He's got nothing to prove.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    But here's another question. Why, in kayfabe, is this match even happening? Goldberg destroyed Lesnar once, and punked him out in the Royal Rumble? Why would Goldberg bother with another match with Lesnar? He's got nothing to prove.
    I think one of two things happens:

1) Brock Lesnar screws Goldberg out of the Universal title at Fastlane. Kevin Owens stays champ and begins to feud with his best friend, Goldberg and Lesnar agree to go one last time at Wrestlemania in a grudge match.

2) Goldberg wins the Universal title at Fastlane. Brock Lesnar says he wants Goldberg at Wrestlemania, but Kevin Owens says he has the right to a rematch. Stephanie or Foley issue a #1 Contender's match between Brock Lesnar and Kevin Owens, winner faces Goldberg at Wrestlemania. Lesnar wins.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The advantage that Goldberg/Lesnar has is the fact that it has maintained extremely limited exposure. Given Goldbergs limited abilities in the ring; if they had devoted any decent amount of time to this feud, I don't think it would have developed and maintained the fans interest this long.

I'm going with Owens and Jericho. There's actually a decent story there, and both of those two can put on wrestling clinics of the year.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Why, in kayfabe, is this match even happening? Goldberg destroyed Lesnar once, and punked him out in the Royal Rumble? Why would Goldberg bother with another match with Lesnar? He's got nothing to prove.
    Because Lesnar challenged him, and Goldberg never refuses a challenge! So Goldberg beats Lesnar at Wrestlemania, Lesnar challenges Goldberg at the next PPV, he accepts because he never refuses a challenge, and the cycle continues. Every PPV until Wrestlemania 34.

Where Lesnar will lose for the last time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a perfect world, I would have booked Rusev to be Lesnars kryptonite, not Goldberg

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Jericho and Owens have indeed been the highlight of Raw, and one of the few good things about it, but only because of their talking segments. I don't have a particular desire to see either man wrestle, whether it's against each other or against anyone else. Also the whole "friends turn on each other and have a big match" is so played out in WWE. The build might be surprisingly good because of Jericho's creativity, but my expectations are not particularly high. Is this match even a lock?
    The JeriKO breakup on Raw is making me eat my words. That was a masterful segment, and it was mostly thanks to Jericho. He was heartfelt and emotional when he talked about how he felt about their friendship. It felt real because it was real. I'm sure the person Chris Jericho had a blast working with Kevin Owens, so it was easy to channel that into his character. So when the expected betrayal came, it hurt. The way the turn was done was phenomenal. "Why is my name on the list?" And the beatdown's similarity to Owens' beatdown of former best friend Sami Zayn on NXT was well done. It was a perfect segment.

All that said, I'm still more compelled by Goldberg vs Lesnar. But the gap has shrunk significantly.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm genuinely confused why people would be more compelled about FANTASY WARFARE II, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO, THRICE IN A LIFETIME OH MY!!!

Goldberg wrecked Lesnar. He bitched him out at Survivor series and the rumble. Whatever aura of invincibility Lesnar has left from destroying everybody for 2 years straight after ending the streak was destroyed in a minute and a half by a 50 year old man wrestling his first match in over a decade, and somehow people find this compelling.

Christ, you people are going to be easy to please when WWE decides to have Sammartino wrestle the corpse of Killer Kowalski.

The result of Jericho vs Owens matters. Goldberg vs Lesnar? Who the fuck cares, they'll be gone within the month anyway. And god forbid these fucks are fighting over the title, the last thing RAW needs is Lesnar (lets be realistic here) not defending the fucking belt for months at a time while the brand is twiddling its thumbs creatively until he returns.
    Last edited by Falcone; 02-14-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I'm genuinely confused why people would be more compelled about FANTASY WARFARE II, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO, THRICE IN A LIFETIME OH MY!!!

Goldberg wrecked Lesnar. He bitched him out at Survivor series and the rumble. Whatever aura of invincibility Lesnar has left from destroying everybody for 2 years straight after ending the streak was destroyed in a minute and a half by a 50 year old man wrestling his first match in over a decade, and somehow people find this compelling.

Christ, you people are going to be easy to please when WWE decides to have Sammartino wrestle the corpse of Killer Kowalski.

The result of Jericho vs Owens matters. Goldberg vs Lesnar? Who the fuck cares, they'll be gone within the month anyway. And god forbid these fucks are fighting over the title, the last thing RAW needs is Lesnar (lets be realistic here) not defending the fucking belt for months at a time while the brand is twiddling its thumbs creatively until he returns.
    The results of Jericho vs. Owens matter to people that actually watch and enjoy what they're watching. Trolls and people who have their brains stuck on the wrestling from their teenage years don't actually like any of this.

I like seeing Goldberg whoop Lesnar, but I get that it doesn't matter, and I'm fully aware that it doesn't need to be there, like I said a few posts up. I also said Chris Jericho's become hard to watch in the ring. I'm being the cynical jerkass that I am, and picking the lesser of two evils.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lesnar losing is exactly why it's compelling. Lesnar hasn't been made to look so vulnerable since ending the streak. Not even close. The story told in the last match is that Lesnar took Goldberg lightly, got caught with a spear, and then lost. He won't be taking him lightly this time. The fans expect a more competitive match. That's why it's compelling.

Doesn't matter if Lesnar and Goldberg will be gone (isn't Jericho going to be leaving shortly after Mania anyway?), it doesn't make the story any less compelling. Lesnar wants redemption for being humiliated by Goldberg, just as Jericho wants redemption for being betrayed by Owens.

Thread Information