Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 PW Hall of Fame (Candidate Consideration)

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 2017 PW Hall of Fame (Candidate Consideration)

How's it going, PW?

It doesn't feel like two minutes since mikec asked for suggestions for candidates for the 2016 PW Hall of Fame, yet here we are. Just little over a year later and the aforementioned has kindly passed on the duties to myself. I'd like to start by thanking Mike for all his hard work and efforts with the PW Hall over the years.

In case you aren't familiar with our HOF or have forgotten how things go - every year members of PW, past and present, are considered, nominated and then, finally, selected to join the Hall. In 2016; HR, Engel, BigRed, and Soda joined the long list of illustrious names in the Hall - with Brokenlamp, Incy, ORaider27, Rogue, Dr. Detfink, iron maiden, RT, Brezzy, MachoWarrior, the spot, mikec, Froggy, Foos, Amanda, Johnny Canuck, Pris, Volltron, Kilroy Evans, EasyRider, RASTeRMAN, SamEyeAm, and finally Mr. Blonde all previous inductions.

Please take time to read the instructions below before starting to identify new candidates in this thread.

Admission to the HOF isn't for any average Joe (or Jane). It requires multiple phases.

Eligibility Requirements:

Anyone can be nominated to be a member of the Hall of Fame except for current enshrinees.

Voters have to have posted at least 25 times before 2017 to be eligible to submit nominations or vote on the final list of nominees. This weeds out the likelihood of alters.

The Selection Process will go in "Phases":

Phase One: The Discussion

A thread will be started to discuss possible nominees. Encouragement can be given at that time to remind people of old posters that aren't around anymore, current posters that may not get enough acclaim, etc. Perhaps a guy like Johnny Blitz is at the top of your list and this is a good time to talk about him so that somebody can say "Oh yeah, Blitz!" This is that thread. This thread will be open 5 days. There will be no votes accepted during this time.

Phase Two: Nominating

Every poster that is qualified to vote can submit a list via PM to me with the 5 posters they most want to see nominated to the Hall of Fame. This will be done on a secret ballot, and each spot will be weighted so a first place spot on someone's ballot carries more weight than a second place spot, etc. 1st place = 5 points, 2nd = 4, etc. Posters will be given ten days to complete this list as well.

Phase Three: Nominations are announced

After the nomination window is closed, the 10 posters that have received the most points will be formally "Nominated" as finalists to enter the Hall of Fame.

Phase Four: Final Balloting

At this point, posters can again submit a ballot, this time with three names on the ballot taken from the final list of 10 nominees. Again the votes will be weighted, with 1st = 5 points, 2nd = 3 points, 3rd = 1 point. This will make a 1st place vote on someone's ballot worth a considerable amount in terms of securing a nomination.

Phase Five: Announcement of Results

Posters will be announced as new members of the Hall of Fame. A maximum of four posters will be enshrined, if a fourth poster is within five points of the three leading nominees, then they too will be inducted.

You guys have until Saturday to discuss suitable candidates. From Saturday (11th), you have 10 days to send your five picks to me via PM. After those ten days are up, we'll begin the next phase. Please remember that this thread is solely for considering only. I won't be accepting any votes sent to me in here, or sent to me before the 11th.

Cheers guys.
    Sit down. Be humble.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The 2017 PW Hall of Fame (Candidate Consideration)

I'll get things started with a few suggestions.

I've voted for @Kid Jericho and @MonsooN the past couple of occasions so it'd be remiss of me not to mention them. Two fresher shouts from me would be in the form of @Ness and @Matt who have both been quality posters here for over a decade. Matt has worked tirelessly, modding and posting in the wrestling sections for so long. I sometimes think he's the most underrated poster we've had here. Ness has long been a staple of Fan Fic and The Nerdery, he's always been a good contributor 'up north', and he's been the MVP of the Coliseum for the past couple of years. He deserves recognition for his dedication with his video promos, alone.
    Sit down. Be humble.

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of my nominations made it last year, so I'll be putting forth Xenite, Gyro, Sun God, Monsoon and 3DP again (again) this year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great shout outs WMS, both KJ and Ness have been guys I've nominated in the past, and will most likely make my list again this year as well. A couple other names, I'll definitely have to take into consideration are Holzhammer, Threedypee, and despite our many differences, The Champ.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why anyone nominates people that are long gone from the site...they couldn't give a shit. Nominate people that still come here on the regular. Kid Jericho is a perfect example of someone that is very busy, but still finds time to be here. That's all I've got...good luck.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    I don't understand why anyone nominates people that are long gone from the site...they couldn't give a shit. Nominate people that still come here on the regular. Kid Jericho is a perfect example of someone that is very busy, but still finds time to be here. That's all I've got...good luck.
    To show respect and appreciation....just like any other HOF induction of any other sport.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

Shout out to Matt ... this guy deserves it.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    To show respect and appreciation....just like any other HOF induction of any other sport.
    For people that will have no clue? You guys have fun with it. LOL

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gyro and 3DP will make my ballot for sure. I might just PM hr and copy his ballot. He's got some good ideas.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    For people that will have no clue? You guys have fun with it. LOL
    Multiple posters that have left have also come back, and some who haven't are aware of the honor thanks to other means of staying in touch.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see CK's point and agree to an extent, but I look at it like inducting a dead person into a hall of fame. Macho Man Randy Savage couldn't care less that he's in the WWE HoF for obvious reasons, but for the people that are still around and remember him, it meant something.

I know we have our way of doing things but (if WMS is open to the idea) it might almost be beneficial to take the handful of names that aren't around anymore that deserve to be in and just stick them in there with this year's class. The longer we go without inducting them the fewer votes they're going to get due to posters just not knowing who they are or caring enough to throw them a vote. The fact that HR is nominating all the same names yet again is proof of that.

I don't want to disrespect anyone that got in the old fashioned way, that's not my intention, but I think it's something to consider.

That being said, despite our differences, I'm going to add @Blindy to the list of nominees. I also want to add @PI and @Holzhammer to the list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT said much nicer than I, which is not a shock. Good luck KJ and Blindy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    The longer we go without inducting them the fewer votes they're going to get due to posters just not knowing who they are or caring enough to throw them a vote.
    That was always my rationale for putting forth names from the past - the hope that they would get in while there were still enough people around who remembered them - but judging by the last couple of years it may already be too late.

There are plenty of active posters who I'd like to vote for as well but I think they have a greater chance of being inducted in years to come.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a "legends class" to have a mass induction of those names who deserve to be in but likely will miss out on the current voting system.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally we can get Pete Rose in a HOF

God help and forgive me,
    I wanna build something thatís gonna outlive me

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a "legends class" to have a mass induction of those names who deserve to be in but likely will miss out on the current voting system.
    But why. With data wiped from pre-2006 or 2007 and way back machine archives not even showing anything anymore there isnt even a way for someone to look back. Like if you see some posters name and you dont know who they are its meaningless because you cant see what the big deal about them was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't need to see what the big deal was because I saw It when it happened.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what others were meaning for the legends idea was for others to see who the legends were. But if the newbs have no way of seeing the past, its just a meaningless name. So it would just be some sort of odd self masturbatory type deal for the 23 members of the forum that are still here from before 2006.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what all versions of pw popularity contests are, this just has a different demographic than most.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words folks. Don't even know I would nominate, Kid absolutely 110% though and his work in The Gridiron all year around validates that. If I had the ability or time to do the SE Awards again, easy Gridiron poster of the year and that says something with the stallworths that have posted over the years in that forum.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this is the year I get to eat the soggy cookie.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This better be the year of the y2jman!

surrender

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell I'll throw a few nominations out-
    @Oncall
    @Kilgore
    @ShinobiMusashi

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think perhaps it's worth trying three/four routine inductions and one 'legend' induction (a poster that is no longer active or hasn't been for some time). I'll think it over as I'm hesitant to change anything too swiftly.
    Sit down. Be humble.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oncall, Matt and WMS were the first three that came to mind not already inducted.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Thanks for the kind words folks. Don't even know I would nominate, Kid absolutely 110% though and his work in The Gridiron all year around validates that. If I had the ability or time to do the SE Awards again, easy Gridiron poster of the year and that says something with the stallworths that have posted over the years in that forum.
    This x 1000.

And Blindy.

Thread Information