Thread: NHL's 100 Greatest Players

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NHL's 100 Greatest Players

With All-Star Weekend behind us, we now know the full list of the NHL's 100 Greatest Players. 33 players were revealed at the Centennial Classic in Toronto on January 1st, and the remaining 67 were revealed this past weekend.

The full list: https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centenn...st-nhl-players

I like that the players weren't ranked from 1-100 because with a list like that, it's entirely too subjective to rank. I'm curious how the "blue ribbon panel" that decided on the list came to decide on the final 100.

Of course there were some huge names left off the list that have grabbed some of the discussion the last few days. The main snubs I've been hearing the most about are Evgeni Malkin and Joe Thornton. There's also Cam Neely, Ed Belfour, Mark Recchi, Dale Hawerchuk, Jerome Iginla...just to name a few.

So what are your thoughts? Do you like the list? Do you hate it? If you believe one of the snubs should have been on the list, who would you replace?

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NHL's 100 Greatest Players

The idea was good in theory, but was never going to work out. The idea of throwing out the participation trophies was enticing. I like the list, but I don't love it by any means. Absolute joke that "Captain Intangibles" Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane made the list. I've even seen compelling arguments against Duncan Keith making the list. Malkin, Thornton, and Iginla not making the list....no. You can even think of Chara for the list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pretty good list, I never even thought of Hawerchuk as a snub which he surely is. I still don't get how they put Pavel Bure on the list while excluding Alexander Molgilny, they were so similar and were always compared to each other. Joe Nieuwendyk was a curious choice, I would have taken him along with Borje Salming and Eric Lindros off. Rod Langway was much better at his position than Salming during that time while Lindros wasn't nearly durable enough to be included. Nieuwendyk is a good "fill in the gaps" type player but was never at the forefront of his teams. Molgilny and Belfour would have been my picks instead of those two. Plus you could take any of the modern Blackhawks off the list and add Hawerchuk.

I think the big knocks on Iginla and Thornton was that they seemed to go cold as soon as their teams needed them. Has their ever been a streakier goal scorer than Iginla? He would go months without scoring then net 10 in 9 games or something crazy like that.
    Last edited by The Icon; 02-02-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    "Big P, every day I praise Raven. He is in my top 10- OF ALL TIME. He may reach 9 soon."

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Iginla's thing is that he's a grinder. I'm no expert on the man but I feel like a lot of his goals are off rebounds, second chances, banging in garbage, stuff like that. Probably why he's so streaky because he's never been the guy to dangle through defense and snipe one top shelf. He's the guy that parks his ass in front of the net and creates chances. He's like Adam Foote or Eric Lindros. You can't move them but if you figure out how to keep the puck away from them then they're screwed.

That being said, he's still a major snub. I can't think of many all around team players better than Iginla. Every team he's ever been on has been better for having him.

Toews/Kane both making the list I can take, considering they've been crushing it together since day one. I think Duncan Keith being on the list is fucking abysmal though. Thornton, Iginla, Malkin, Hawerchuk...all deserved a place over that clown.

Were there any dirtier players on the list than Keith? I've only skimmed it over once and might have missed one. Bobby Clarke was pretty awful.

Thread Information