Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizon Zero Dawn

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Horizon Zero Dawn

We're less than a month away from the release of Sony's newest PS4 exclusive, Horizon Zero Dawn. Ever since I saw the trailer for it at E3 after getting my PS4, the game instantly became my most anticipated. I have this will be the next big series for Sony if it delivers like the reviews are saying. Here's a twenty minute look at the game play of PW's next GOTY.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

After seeing the E3 demo. I'm ready.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some of the most aggressive motion blur I've ever seen.

I think this would have been a system seller for my wife if they programmed the game to work differently on the PS4 Pro. Maybe if it ran at 60 fps they wouldn't feel the need to make the game so blurry. She really loves how this game looks but she gets motion sick from stuff like this.

I don't mind games running at a low framerate but the blur just ruins the good visuals. I am hoping this game gives you the option to turn it off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman View Post
    That's some of the most aggressive motion blur I've ever seen.

I think this would have been a system seller for my wife if they programmed the game to work differently on the PS4 Pro. Maybe if it ran at 60 fps they wouldn't feel the need to make the game so blurry. She really loves how this game looks but she gets motion sick from stuff like this.

I don't mind games running at a low framerate but the blur just ruins the good visuals. I am hoping this game gives you the option to turn it off.
    I have a similar motion sickness issue with motion blur. Uncharted 4 had the exact same blur issues as Horizon. It took me a solid hour of non stop play of Uncharted before I got use to the games motion blur and didnt feel sick to my stomach so I expect the same with Horizon. Also it took 2 months before Uncharted patched in a slider to adjust the motion blur.

Horizon does look great and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I preordered the game over the weekend. Had to decide between this and RE7 and Horizon won out. Waiting for a price cut before picking up RE7.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting for a price cut before picking up RE7.
    Smart choice, hopefully Capcom push out a Game of the Year edition by the holiday season and you can just pick it up with the extra content at a discounted rate. It's a 'good' game but there's better games out there.

Judging from all the impressions, Horizon has a great universe albeit it hardly innovates the open-world genre or takes it to another level. I'll be sure to check it out at some point as I'm still new to the open-world genre, but it will have to wait until I beat Breath of the Wild and Persona 5.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Resi 7, it's on my to buy list but I am waiting 6 months or so for a price drop

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have this preordered and will be getting it a day sooner with Best Buy's shipping so Monday night looks like the time to make a go and this will be my game of the week.

Open world games can be so hit or miss, hope there is enough diversity with the mission structures to avoid stagnation.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old ones have approved, Horizon: Zero Dawn has shipped one day early(THANK YOU BEST BUY SHIPPING) and I am downloading it as we speak!

Going to tap a good 4 or so hours tonight! YAS!

Might be the only one playing this on launch with Zelda this Friday?

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Blindy, guess what? I hate you.

My preorder is through Amazon, and I was beginning to worry if I would get mine tomorrow not. Usually it ships on a Sunday, and I'll get a notification about it. I didn't get a notification until a few hours ago. I'm getting it tomorrow still.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine shipped today too, but Gamefly rarely seems to get here in one day anymore, so I'm planning on Wednesday at the earliest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been able to devote much time to the game yet. My progress is up to the point after training with Rost missing. I took extra time to explore the Metal World initially. The lore from what I know currently is depressing as hell. Honestly, the amount of times I'm in awe over how beautiful the game looks is astounding. Little Aloy is the cutest, and is up there with Ellie as the coolest kids. The cut scenes have definitely kept my interest the entire time. The game answers questions, but I'm always left with more in the best way. The core game play is very satisfying, and the focus on bow combat mixed with trap setting along with the status effects make it feel unique. Stealth based games may be a weakness of mine, but I will master this. I'll spend more time with the game later tonight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving it so far, only trouble is my progress isn't going very fast, because I can't stop hunting, everytime I run onto a heard I stop and take them all out (already buying the grade 2 stealth outfit, and a few stealth perks). As for the story, that opening act (the Proving) really surprised me:

Spoiler
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game is fantastic, it's like Tomb Raider but with deeper combat/fighting robotic animals with Mad Max's Bandit Raiding system and Far Cry(Have not played this series)'s hunting.and Mass Effect's dialogue system.

But I can see if you have played numerous open world games that this may not tickle your fancy because it doesn't do too much new in some categories. But if you haven't been burnt out by the genre that this game would be fantastic for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    Loving it so far, only trouble is my progress isn't going very fast, because I can't stop hunting, everytime I run onto a heard I stop and take them all out (already buying the grade 2 stealth outfit, and a few stealth perks). As for the story, that opening act (the Proving) really surprised me:

Spoiler
    That felt very Hunger Games esque to me, strongly got that sort of vibe throughout the proving portion of the story.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've put in about 5 hours and I love essentially everything so far. Just wanna say that I can't imagine ever getting tired of taking down robot dinos. I can't remember the last time I played a game with such satisfying combat.

Looked up a video of some of the later enemies and they look fucking outrageously awesome! They're fucking huge to! Can't wait.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not very far, spent most of today hunting out and upgrading all my carry pouches, I've got 3 on the final upgrade, and I just need the scrap; and another other one (outside of those 4, they're all maxed) I have maybe 2 (most top out at 4, one topped out at 3) more, but need to find some mechanical parts. Fucking hell though, those fucking racoons, I killed maybe 2 dozen before one finally gave me some skin, WHY DO THEY NOT HAVE SKIN?! And of course, I finally get that raccoon skin that took me forever, upgrade a pouch, final level wants raccoon skin, so I'll need another, you rat bastards.

I accidentally stumbled into one big fight, and thankfully I had plenty of life, I thought I saw the hind end of a grazer peaking out from behind a rock and jumped off my stead to stealth kill, turns out it was a razorclaw surrounded by scrappers, just lucky I managed to take the razorclaw out before the scrappers really caught on, those traps come in handy.

I did get one of my random dokly moments of perfect quotes to fit a scenario though, I was trying for a rabbit skin when my phone rang, rather than answering it I just said "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits." and then it stop ringing. Good, goood.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 03-04-2017 at 02:50 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game says I am over 35% done with everything including side missions, main campaign etc. So over 1/3 of the way through, game is really good the only blemishes I can possibly think of are

1) The lack of diversity with missions, no racing on animals that I have encountered, no surviving an onslaught of enemies for a certain time etc. Game thus far has not been all too creative with the different missions. Game features either gathering a specific amount of items from a dead robotic creature or to follow the path to find the whereabouts as to what happened or to defeat an array of enemies to move forward.

2) Specific creatures really rotate the camera around and they get hits off their giant hitboxes that wipe out tons of health. The sabertooths can chain you and 1 shot you in certain circumstances which is somewhat cheap.

Everything else has been crisp and fantastic with this game, I can't stop doing side missions!

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing more annoying than hunting for a particular animal skin, you see that blue box pop up and think "Finally!" and it turns out to be a fucking animal talisman, like, you couldn't think of another color for those bitches? Bastards.

It also did a good job at letting me build a false confidence, can beat a razorclaw, billowbelly, and corruptor with relative ease, then I move along and find the rockbreaker, thunderjaw, trampler, and it's just a whole new ballgame (even with max damage on stealth shots). The trampler itself wouldn't be too tough, the issue is that fucker usually runs in herds, so you're fighting 3-4 of 'em, and that can be a real bitch. I only faced one thunderjaw so far, and it beat the ever loving dog shit out of me, so I avoided the last few as I accomplished other tasks, got the better weapons now, probably take it on tomorrow.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 03-06-2017 at 04:56 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So torn on whether to buy this before Mass Effect comes out. Also trying to snatch up a Switch with Zelda in the near future. This game worth the purchase?

Justin Valuable made this banner! YES! YES!YES!
    I Eat Cannibals

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still didn't get around to a thunderjaw, but in clearing vantage points I ran into a Stormbird, took about 10 minutes and most of my resources, but I brought sumbitch down. Pisses me off there was no campfire around though, as evidently the thing that's up there, wasn't open to me yet (as I've only played a few missions), and I ended up slipping off a cliff, losing the items I got for bringing that fucker down. Just happy I got him though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost halfway through the game progression wise, I think I need to spend a good day on the Cauldron's, Tallnecks. I am pretty deep with the Bandit Camps infiltrated and the corruption zones being cleared out.

Game is terrific though the big creatures ruin the camera so bad in this game at times that the hitboxes catch me with such rough attacks. There are two types of creatures that are not only dreadful to fight but unfun to: The Dirt Machines that are ridiculously cheap and the giant hawks.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, finished up, one of the few games I earned a Platinum trophy on, most games either have multiplayer trophies, or other trophies I'm otherwise unconcerned with getting.

Gotta say, really glad I saved the mainline for last, that way I got to watch it all unfold at once. Really a great mythology behind it. Curious on where they take a sequel, but would be waiting with bated breath. Nioh is still my frontrunner for GOTY, but it was damn close. Story definitely wins out in Horizon.

I'd say the Rockbreaker was the most difficult enemies, because you couldn't even ropecaster them down, they could dig away at any point until they're fully tied down. In 2's they're maddening, as soon as you try to shoot one's digging claws, the other would pop up and demolish you. Once you get the Tearblast charge they become much more managble, but that's because the Tearblast charge is the great equalizer, pretty OP as far as offense goes, not damaging, but you could easily strip away vital components, like the Rockbreaker's digging claws. Thunderjaw's end up being the easiest of the massive enemies, because they come with 2 massively powerful weapons that can be stripped off. Anything up to, and including, a corruptor isn't much hassle once you upgrade the spear for knockdown. But the larger enemies poses a challenge throughout the game, as many, like the Trampler and Longleg, often came in groups, while one on one they're not much trouble, in herds they could be harder to manage.

Some things I didn't like about the game:

*No way to turn off hints, so the entire game when I had to follow a trail the big, screen filling direction for how to follow a trail would pop up, like, I already fucking know.

*Some of the voice acting, while none of it terrible, is really stiff. The way they deliver lines is off, like they began delivering the line one way, and then changed it in the middle, or ignored the context of the sentence so the delivery didn't quite fit the situation. Luckily the Aloy and Sylens (of course, being Lance Reddick) didn't suffer from it.

*Climbing was all straight forward with one path, would have been nice for there to be some exploration with it, much like Uncharted, climbing was it's weakest attribute.

*The weapon wheel should always have a slot for one weapon of each type, gets a bit annoying going into the menus to switch out for a different load out, kind of inhibits experimenting, towards the end I wasn't even using my tripcaster because of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I took down Horizon: Zero Dawn earlier today.

Very seldom do I go out of my way to obtain a platinum trophy for a game, especially for an open world game but I went all the way for this game. Yeah there are some minor gripes I do have with this game but for the most part, this was very enjoyable and if you haven't played many open world games or are at least not turned off by them, you will fall in love with this game. If you happen to play Far Cry, Tomb Raider and those sorts of open world adventures, you might find this game doesn't really bring too much to the table so I think it's one of those games that doesn't necessarily change the ball game for this genre but it doesn't do anything worse than these open world games.

The Good:

1) By no means am I a SJW or anything of that capacity but I don't know if there's a game that has a more diverse ethnicities, skin color cast of characters than Horizon: Zero Dawn. Plenty of African American characters, plenty of Asians, plenty of Whites, few Muslim inspired characters too. Seems like it is the medicine for people who want more diversity in their games as you will get this early and often with this game. The game is led by a very strong, very likable main female character that falls along the lines of Ellie from TLOU in being a real tough hombre who will kick your ass if it means to survive yet still has good intentions in what they're doing even if it means they have to kill.

2) The real bread and butter of this game, the robotic machines are at first such a blast to tackle on. You have variety ranging from aerial creatures to ground creatures to sea creatures to hulking giants to animals you can ride upon. I do wish there was a creature you can swim on(Which I will get to later on) but the game makes these robotic creatures a real showdown at times to fight where you need to hit weak points to turn the tides.

You have numerous weapons at your disposal to do such. Explosive traps? Check. Basic arrows? Check. Slingshots? Check. Ropecasters? Check. Very specific/elemental arrows? Check. Good ol spear whacking? Check. Yeah it does repeat with different versions of these weapons later on but you have numerous ways to go at these robots which is much appreciated.

3) I thought at times the story flew over my head but the general basis of the story is pretty good even if it tries to do a bit too much(At least for me). A lot of thought put into this story and it doesn't necessarily always fall into the same old rehashed clique terms for it.

4) Game is gorgeous, almost too gorgeous if that makes sense. The surroundings are so well detailed that you can't honestly tell at times what the heck you are grabbing(Uncharted style) to climb up a mountain as they blend in too well. The rain at times is actually a hindrance for how good it looks because you can't see a damn thing in a fight. I played this on the regular PS4 so I can only imagine how much better it would look on a PS4 Pro. The game does have the occasional sprite pop up here or there but for the most part, game looks fantastic.

The Bad:

1) The lack of variety with missions was evident, had your take out group of enemies missions, take out a certain machine to acquire a part mission, 15 different GOD AWFUL trials that are necessary for the platinum, having to track footsteps at least on 10 different occasions. After a while, it got a bit tedious just doing the same things over and over again but I also know this is a common problem with open world games today but I just wish this game maybe became the one to stand out from the pack in this regard.

2) Some of the hitboxes in particular with the stormbirds and rockbreakers are lousy, they are among the biggest enemies in the game and due to their size if a part gets you, it will sometimes(Key word being sometimes) consider it a big hit and in the sawtooth cases, they can 1 shot you early in the game due to a 2 hit combo that really should not happen(It's the only enemy that can combo you in this game lol). In turn, it makes the fights with these enemies not fun and in both cases, I just run away and try to run to safety rather than try and take them down.

The fall damage is very inconsistent and you think you can going to touch a small piece hanging on the mountain but when you commit, you end up falling and after a giant fall end up dying instantly.

While human enemies fight with robots, I also never got why robots don't fight with robot outside of overriding/controlling robots. Why would an alligator robot work together with a small hawk? Would that alligator not try and eat it? Seems silly to me to see a giant TRex robot work with a horse robot together to kill you or allies when one should be the primary food chain for the other.

3) Inventory system sucks.....100 items altogether,(excludes armor, ammo etc.) it leads to you routinely needing to sell off pieces time and time again for small shards. So many times I had to leave behind animal meat because I did not have the room for it. I never get why games limit you to so little inventory, this isn't even like Dark Souls where you can stock it and go into the leftovers when you need a said item. One can say realism but to me, fighting giant robotic animals is anything but realistic.

4) The swimming is useless in this game and if anything is an absolute hindrance as you can fall into a lake in a fight with a big creature and be left vulnerable for anything and everything as you can do absolutely nothing in water. The only purpose for the water is to go underwater to avoid being detected but that does nothing if an enemy already has their eyes set on you. I actually ran into a glitch that killed me because there was a great idea of putting water in the mini boss area of a cauldron and I ended up getting stuck below the platform and died due to losing air.

If there is a sequel, there is so much untapped potential with the swimming portions. So many robotic animals that can utilize this, shame this did not happen with the 1st one. The water is absolutely useless and if anything more frustrating.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't so much mind the hunter's challenges, for the most part breezed right through them, 2-3 might have given me an issue.

Another plus I forgot to mention: Earning experience for tutorials. I may have otherwise just ignored these, but completing them all really have you a better sense of the usefulness of the weapons.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those issues seem to be issues for most new series, Blindy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel in a few years. This will be a franchise to take advantage of.

For me, I haven't been able to play in a week. A combination of being sick, school, and starting a new job has left me with zero free time. Tonight I'll be dedicating a few hours to the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    While human enemies fight with robots, I also never got why robots don't fight with robot outside of overriding/controlling robots. Why would an alligator robot work together with a small hawk? Would that alligator not try and eat it? Seems silly to me to see a giant TRex robot work with a horse robot together to kill you or allies when one should be the primary food chain for the other.
    Because the robots feed on biomass to convert into energy, as was described throughout the game.

Also, just a comment about the diversity in the side missions. I'm actually really glad that there were no racing missions. For random people to have the ability to tame the machines in order to do something trivial such as racing does not fit in with the narrative at all. Over-riding machines is presented as a special type of ability, which in mentioned on numerous occasions when new character speak with Aloy, saying that they've heard stories of her riding the machines.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

Spoiler

Thread Information