Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non wrestling podcasts

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Non wrestling podcasts

I know there was a thread in this forum about podcasts once upon a time , but I don't get a long too well with PW's search functions and couldn't find it so I wanted to start a new one. I spend a lot of time on the road every week in my commutes to work and back a long with running around far too much and it's gotten to the point where I never listen to music or the radio anymore and I really just listen to podcasts , which has pretty well run the well dry for me and I'm looking to find some new ones to listen to.

Also I will talk about a few more I picked up a long the way to see who else listens with me.

Thinking Sideways - I started listening to this about a month or two ago and went through all the backlogged episodes that interest me. It's a pretty fun podcast , although Steve really gets on my nerves. I don't enjoy all the topics and really wish they would do more murder mysteries as thats really my wheelhouse for entertainment.

All Fantasy Everything - I would recommend this podcast to anyone and everyone. It's a great podcast for PWers since it revolves around fantasy drafts of just about any topic you can think of , they don't take it seriously at all and usually go off the rails on a number of topics. It's mostly comedy writers and the such shooting the shit and being hilarious and I couldn't recommend it enough.

The Faculty of Horror - One of the most intellectual podcasts about a very unintelligent subject matter out there. These two girls (who are feminists) can be somewhat annoying but overall they way they look at and dissect different horror movies can make for a really compelling listen.

Others that have been on my playlist forever: Bill Simmons , Movie Fights , The Nerdist , HDTGM , Channell 33 and about 400 sports podcasts.

I'm looking for more podcasts that center around horror movies , true crime/serial killers , history , urgan legends and just movies in general. I don't like bland podcasts that just ramble on and don't interject any energy or humor so that rules a lot of them out. I've heard and downloaded some of Generation Why but haven't given it a listen yet - is that one worth it?

Help me PW! Also talk about some of you're favorites!

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Non wrestling podcasts

Hardcore History
    -Just really good in depth discussion on historical moments and some current event tie-ins

Freakonomics
    -Really intriguing show that has a broader spectrum than just economics (though as a finance grad that would have gone the economics route if it was offered at my school...I do love a good economic chat )

Barbell Shrugged
    -Really good fitness show, quality guests, the original hosts (though sadly one passed away last year) blew away the newer group, but they've returned to a couple of the originals now.

Art of Manliness
    -Just some solid topics and interesting discussions and interviews time to time.

Tim Ferris Show
    -Really cool guy, love his interview style.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardcore History
    -Just really good in depth discussion on historical moments and some current event tie-ins
    I keep passing this one by , but always give it a thought. I love history , but I like history presented in an interesting fashion and I don't know that Carlin is going to do that. He does it by himeslf right? I can't do single host podcast where it just feels like a lecture as opposed to a form of entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

Also has anyone listen to Drink Champs? I love hip hop and it's characters are ... interesting to say the least. Thought about giving it a shot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Rogan Podcast - Pretty much the only podcast I have the time to catch up with. The quality of the episodes usually depends on the guests, but it's almost always hilarious when Joey Diaz visits. I'm following mainly because I want to hear the MMA talks, but Joe covers too many topics to mention.

Here is a example of a gold joey Diaz moment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Rogan but I generally hate MMA discussion and the likes so I never really checked it out. I know there is more variety than that but I don't know how often I'd get to listen to on a regular basis.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Untouchable you might enjoy In The Dark. One of the better true crime podcasts I've listened to, covers a kidnapping from the 80's and how the police made a ton of mistakes in trying to get the kid back.

Currently on my podlist is -

Bill Simmons
    Channel 33 (solely for Sports Movie Hall of Fame)
    The Watch
    Pod Save America (but usually only for Dan Pfeifer episodes. Lovett is bleh for me)
    Crimetown (Takes an episode or two but turns out great. Crazy stuff)
    The Lowe Post
    The West Wing Weekly
    FiveThirtyEight Elections

It needs shaken up. I'm excited there will be a new Alan Sepinwall podcast coming to replace The Watch which I rarely enjoy. I'm not listening to the politics ones very often.

Lowe Post, Simmons and Crimetown are my only mist listens at the moment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    @Untouchable you might enjoy In The Dark. One of the better true crime podcasts I've listened to, covers a kidnapping from the 80's and how the police made a ton of mistakes in trying to get the kid back.

Currently on my podlist is -

Bill Simmons
    Channel 33 (solely for Sports Movie Hall of Fame)
    The Watch
    Pod Save America (but usually only for Dan Pfeifer episodes. Lovett is bleh for me)
    Crimetown (Takes an episode or two but turns out great. Crazy stuff)
    The Lowe Post
    The West Wing Weekly
    FiveThirtyEight Elections

It needs shaken up. I'm excited there will be a new Alan Sepinwall podcast coming to replace The Watch which I rarely enjoy. I'm not listening to the politics ones very often.

Lowe Post, Simmons and Crimetown are my only mist listens at the moment.
    Sports Movie Hall of Fame is pretty great , I love when Simmons in general delves into entertainment more so than sports.

I'll definitely check out The Dark , it sounds like something I would enjoy. Crimetown is a bit like Serial right?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Blade View Post
    Joe Rogan Podcast - Pretty much the only podcast I have the time to catch up with. The quality of the episodes usually depends on the guests, but it's almost always hilarious when Joey Diaz visits. I'm following mainly because I want to hear the MMA talks, but Joe covers too many topics to mention.

Here is a example of a gold joey Diaz moment.
    I've only recently got into his podcast but I find all of his episodes so far very interesting.

Being self employed I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts, always trying to find new ones to listen to to fill up my time but some of the ones I listen to are

Pop culture leftovers
    First time I listened to them I didn't really find it funny but once you start listening regularly it becomes funny for some reason. They basically review anything of tv or movies.

Screen junkies movie fights
    Love this podcast, always entertaining. There basically people who fight about movies. Would really recommend this to everyone

True crime garage
    I do like true crime stories, and they seem to do there research about each crime.

Casefile true crime
    The best true crime podcast out there. Very well produced. And has a great voice for it.

The talking dead
    It's an okay podcast, generally listen to this when I crappy episode on the walking dead has been on.

Friday night comedy from BBC radio 4
    Basically comedians discussing politics and news

I also like listening to story podcast. I always compare all of them to we're alive(which to this day is just the best thing I've ever listened to)

Lime town
    The black tapes
    Archive 81
    Life after
    Darkest night

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the following on my list at the moment:

On Point with Tom Ashbrooke
    Fivethirteyeight
    Radio Lab
    This American Life
    Football Weekly - The Guardian
    Eye on College Basketball
    Heavyweight

I love podcasts. So versatile. Great for a commute, cooking at home or just chilling out. Probably the only reason I still have a smart phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I subscribe to a bunch of podcasts, but my non-wrestling ones are: Planet Money, Ted Radio Hour, The Last Podcast on the Left, The Run-Up, Slate's Political Gabfest, Trumpcast, 50 Things That Made the Modern Economy and Freakanomics.

Of those, my favorites are Planet Money and Trumpcast.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh I tried The Last Podcast on the Left and I couldn't get through an episode. It's a subject matter I enjoy and I don't mind some humor in the approach but those guys grate on my nerves and their humor largely falls flat. Perhaps it was just the episode but I couldn't even get through one.

It's so popular though that it's probably just me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Sports Movie Hall of Fame is pretty great , I love when Simmons in general delves into entertainment more so than sports.

I'll definitely check out The Dark , it sounds like something I would enjoy. Crimetown is a bit like Serial right?
    Crimetown season one is about how a guy running for mayor of Providence, Rhode Island on an anti-corruption platform wound up leaving office deeply corrupt. Honestly the story has been pretty loose. It does talk about the mayor, but mostly it's a collection of stories about the mob in Providence and this mayor. The stories are fun, but I wouldn't really put it on a Serial level of intrigue.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I listen to Welcome To Night Vale. I had to start over because I started listening to it when it first started then forgot about it for a couple years. Went back and re-listened from the beginning because they were coming up on their 100th episode (which was just posted recently). I think I'm halfway through it.

For those that don't know, it's a show that is presented as a community radio broadcast in a fictional town called Night Vale. In this town, literally anything can happen. They describe the show as "a town where all conspiracy theories are real." It's pretty cool. Equal parts comedy, horror, sci-fi, mystery and fantasy.

I also like Joe Rogan's podcast but it's too long and I never listen to the whole thing. He at least is pretty topical and has interesting guests on, so I always try to give new episodes a listen. I've tried to listen to Bill Burr's a few times but for some reason it doesn't click with me. I love his standup but his podcast fucking sucks. He doesn't talk about anything. He spends 10 minutes talking about the room he's in and what he ate for breakfast then tells a story that doesn't go anywhere while swearing a whole bunch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@RT You're a massive Simpsons fan right? Listen to Four Finger Podcast, they review Simpsons episodes and have just started season 5. Loads of episodes to catch up on

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two non-wrestling podcasts that I really like are Hollywood Babble-On and Jay & Silent Bob Get Old. Both of them involve Kevin Smith, who I'm a big fan of. Babble-On is Kevin and his friend Ralph Garman chatting for an hour and half about random stuff going in the world, a lot of it to do with Hollywood. They do various bits every show, and Ralph does a lot great impressions of various celebrities.

J&SB Get Old is an intervention podcast with Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. Kevin does it to help Jay stay on the clean and narrow, and it's them just basically chatting about anything that comes to mind and Jay usually tells a sex story between him and his wife for an hour and a half with a common bit to end the show.

Banner Credit: surrender

"If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live" - Tommy Wiseau

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    @RT You're a massive Simpsons fan right? Listen to Four Finger Podcast, they review Simpsons episodes and have just started season 5. Loads of episodes to catch up on
    I follow them on facebook and somehow had no idea they did a podcast. Nice

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I follow them on facebook and somehow had no idea they did a podcast. Nice
    You've got a ton of podcasts to listen to, until you catch up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only one other person listens to Welcome to Night Vale? Do you guys not care about the dangers of wheat and wheat byproducts or librarians? I bet you are the type of people who will walk your dogs in the dog park or go out on street sweeping day.

For those who may be interesting in catching the flesh eating reading bacterium, first episode here.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Rogan but I generally hate MMA discussion and the likes so I never really checked it out. I know there is more variety than that but I don't know how often I'd get to listen to on a regular basis.
    Rogan's podcast can be a mind blower or just be like "oh, another discussion about stand up comedy, skip".

If you were into the show Saved By The Bell, April Richards does a hilarious podcast breaking down each episode with a guest. She has been through every episode and the podcast is over but I still find myself going back and listening to those a couple times a month. As for episode selections to start with i'd go with any of the Paul F Tompkins eps are great. The Earthquake episode with Chris Hardwick had me in stitches. Slater's sister with Kevin Christy was great. Paul Danke was on two episodes both were great. And any Howard Kremer episodes were a lot of laughs.

How Did This Get Made is one of my favorites also. All the live episodes are fantastic fun but really every episode has had me laughing hard at one point or another. Any of the Fast and Furious episodes are fun. The Wicker Man, Sleep Away Camp, Over The Top, No Holds Barred, Lake Placid, and Reindeer Games were all stand outs to me. But really, you can't go wrong with this podcast if your looking for laughs.

Depending on the topic, Ari Shaffir's skeptic tank is really good. Like Rogan though at times he can get a little long winded in talks about stand up comedy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably a longshot, but does anyone here watch The Drunken Peasants?

vCash
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    Rogan's podcast can be a mind blower or just be like "oh, another discussion about stand up comedy, skip".

If you were into the show Saved By The Bell, April Richards does a hilarious podcast breaking down each episode with a guest. She has been through every episode and the podcast is over but I still find myself going back and listening to those a couple times a month. As for episode selections to start with i'd go with any of the Paul F Tompkins eps are great. The Earthquake episode with Chris Hardwick had me in stitches. Slater's sister with Kevin Christy was great. Paul Danke was on two episodes both were great. And any Howard Kremer episodes were a lot of laughs.

How Did This Get Made is one of my favorites also. All the live episodes are fantastic fun but really every episode has had me laughing hard at one point or another. Any of the Fast and Furious episodes are fun. The Wicker Man, Sleep Away Camp, Over The Top, No Holds Barred, Lake Placid, and Reindeer Games were all stand outs to me. But really, you can't go wrong with this podcast if your looking for laughs.

Depending on the topic, Ari Shaffir's skeptic tank is really good. Like Rogan though at times he can get a little long winded in talks about stand up comedy.
    I listened to Go Bayside from beginning to end , enjoyed most of the episodes for sure. Also HDTGM is a regular on my feed.

Just discovered "Serial Killers" - it's pretty self explanatory and only four episodes in so I'm not sure what to think about it. It usually takes podcasts a bit of time to find their groove and get really good. I'm going to give it some time because it's a subject that can be rather fascinating.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really into Joe Rogan's podcast. He has a way of making most subject interesting.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Favorite Murder- I'm more of a fan of Last Podcast on the Left but these two chicks are great and have a huge following. Just gotta get through that first 20 minutes of talking in the beginning.

The Dollop- Its Drunk History without the alchohol. Outrageous, horrible, and hilarious stories from history.

RISK!- a story telling podcast that ranges from funny to sad or just disgusting. Its hit and miss but when its good its great.

Your Mom's House- this is essentially what the Monday Morning Podcast would be if Bill Burr had his wife on every episode. Stand up comedian husband and wife Tom Segura and Christina Pazitzky ramble and get gross.

Todd Glass Show- for anyone who loves jingles this is the #1 jingle podcast out there.

Joe Rogan/Adam Carolla- both are great in spurts but their know it all attitudes do wear on you after a while.

Other stand outs...

Doug Loves Movies
    Unpopular Opinion
    SPONTANEANATION
    We Hate Movies
    You Made it Weird
    Easy Allies
    Cracked
    Dude Soup

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The podcasts I listen to are all over the place in regards to content. Obviously there's a few political ones in Pod Saves America, Pod Saves the World, and the Dig (A Jacobin leftist podcast). Usually I'll listen depending on the topic or the guest. Foreign policy has become an interest of mine so, the recent episode with Heather Higgenbottom was a good listen. Oh yeah, Chapo House depending on the topic. Their use of slurs is offputting tbh.

If we're talking about history podcasts, Mike Duncan is the king of them. I cannot recommend enough his History of Rome podcast. The series is fully completed as of 2012. The episodes are 10-15 minutes each which is the perfect amount for a history lesson. His other series on revolutions of different countries a must listen for history fans. He's a great twitter follow too.

PS I Love You XOXO is my go to Playstation podcast. Colin and Greg are people I disagree with at times, however, are incredibly insightful into the world of Sony and what's in store for the PS4.

Bizarre States is one of the first podcasts I first listened to. The show is apart of the Nerdist family. Jessica and Bowser talk about hauntings, urban myths, unsolved murders, and whatever else fits in the bizarre world. Listening to each guests stories and history is something I look forward to each week.

For music, Washed Up Emo is the only one in my queue. There's interview with prominent members of the emo music scene from over the years.

Food 4 Thot is a relatively new in the podcast world as it only has two episodes. This is more of a round table discussion on sex, relationships, race, identity, and general interests. All four hosts are queer and all but one are POC.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random complaint, I tried listening to the Tony Schiavone podcast today because, well I have no idea why. It was brutally bad. Just brutally bad.

Thread Information