Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AJ Styles Wrestlemania Opponent (Shinsuke Nakamura?)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: AJ Styles Wrestlemania Opponent (Shinsuke Nakamura?)

The Styles/McMahon feud seems weird unless they're doing a double turn. If Styles gets bounced out the of the title match because Orton has suddenly decided he fancies it again he's got a totally legitimate grievance.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gallows and Anderson could use this as a platform to get The Club back together again.

Have all 3 of them take out Shane (The Club then continues to show up on Smackdown until Shane forces a trade or drafts them) and a new debuting star (Nakamura?) makes the save.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RamboApocalypse
    The Styles/McMahon feud seems weird unless they're doing a double turn. If Styles gets bounced out the of the title match because Orton has suddenly decided he fancies it again he's got a totally legitimate grievance.
    Interesting point but WWE does seem to be leaning in that direction. But we'll see what happens.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit tired of the obviousness of aj styles being wormed into all the big picture pieces. It's a bit contrived.
    I am your God

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane vs Angle was gold. As long as Shane doesn't get booked to steamroll AJ like he did in his feud with Legacy I can't see how a match with Shane wouldn't be massive for his WWE career. To face a McMahon at Wrestlemania with less than a year and a half of WWE mileage is fucking huge for Styles. For Vince to give it the OK shows just how highly he regards AJ. I actually really wanna see this match happen. Yeah, I guess it would have been awesome to see AJ as WWE champ on the grandest stage of them all, but there's always next year(s) for that to happen. Outside of a 20 plus minute match with Balor, I think this is the next best thing for AJ at this stage of his (pretty short) WWE career.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed as expected, Styles vs Orton #1Contendership match is on for this weeks SD. Well there you go folks.
    Orton vs Wyatt and Styles vs Shane it is

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone complaining about Styles v Shane is just nuts. I can't even begin to comprehend the stuff those 2 could do to each other. Styles is legitimately as crazy as Shane is which is saying something. Gotta be a Street Fight or something like that. There's a lot of potential in those 2 v each other. Wrestling a Mcmahon @ Wrestlemania is a HUGE rub. Only HBK, Hogan & Taker can say they have wrestled Vince or Shane @ Mania (Besides Vince v Shane). Styles will be in that category now

AJ doesn't need a 20 minute showcase v Nakamura or Balor, honestly I don't think that does anything for him right now & they got lots of time to build up both of those guys & create a strong story to where the matchup v Styles WOULD be huge but right now? Shane is a bigger name & a bigger match. NXT needs Nakamura right now anyway, they can't afford him to jump to the WWE Main Roster. NXT needs Nakamura. WAAY more then WWE does right now. WWE has enough star power without Shinsuke. He should only jump to main roster once NXT has a bigger Main Event scene & no longer needs him

Save AJ v Shinsuke for when Shinsuke is a MUCH bigger name & you can get something out of it. Right now it would do nothing for anyone. AJ v Shane should be a match of insanity & I'm definitely looking forward to that. It would make AJ a bigger star aswell which is clearly a main goal of the match. Not everything has to be a 5 star classic to be very entertaining & not every classic has to be at Mania. Save those other potential AJ matches for a time period for when they would actually matter & feel special & now isn't that time
    Last edited by Sweetness_Bolt; 03-04-2017 at 04:23 AM.

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness_Bolt View Post
    Anyone complaining about Styles v Shane is just nuts. I can't even begin to comprehend the stuff those 2 could do to each other. Styles is legitimately as crazy as Shane is which is saying something. Gotta be a Street Fight or something like that. There's a lot of potential in those 2 v each other.
    Wishful thinking. Shane hardly ever competes. He's in his mid 40's. He's a full time executive. It really provides a disservice to AJ who is a brilliant in-ring competitor, and it puts a major limitation on AJ Styles and what he can do in the ring too. AJ will no doubt make it work, but I would much rather AJ not have to spend his time trying to figure out how to work around Shane's limitations the whole match, instead of being able to show class what he can do as a performer.

There really is very little difference, technically and mechanically, between Ellsworth and Shane Mcmahon.

Orton and Wyatt, technically won't be a bad main event. It will be a very good match. My problem with Orton is, and I know I am in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of his and I always thought his character is boring. But he's always been a good mechanic in the ring.

I just like AJ Styles a lot better than Orton. Everyone has their favorites and everything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think having a great hardcore match with Shane DOES show what Styles can do (The match needs to be hardcore/street fight to be as effective as possible) That shows I side of him he shows less often then the in ring stuff he could do v someone like Nakamura. That's the expected but it does nothing right now

To say Shane is like Ellsworth just shows a big lack of understanding of wrestling at all

I don't see Styles v Shane as a waste at all. I see it as another opportunity to showcase how great a performer that Styles is, against someone who performs strongly in hardcore style matches, a lot of possibilities I see with it

Orton & Wyatt have had a great story building for over 6 months, they've earned the title match. Anyone else in it & it just doesn't make sense. Styles just finished a 5 month reign with the title. He can have a title match anytime, it doesn't need to be @ Mania

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even want Shane Mcmahon on the card in the first place; Yet, I'm the one that has a lack of understanding of wrestling?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its too early to pull the trigger on Nak vs. Styles in WWE... yet...

I'm kind of interested in the Shane vs. Styles match compared to most of the rest of the card. AJ can pretty much carry anyone to a great match... it'll be a better match that Shane vs. Taker for sure... and will definitely have a couple of mind-blowing spots at least.

Also, I think Shane at least has a better jump than Ellsworth somehow can't see Ellsworth making it from top rope to announce table without being mauled by Strowman.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't want a Shane McMahon match at Wrestlemania - especially one against AJ Styles.

AJ Styles' strength is his in ring work, and he deserves an opponent who can showcase that (like Shinsuke Nakamura).

They've been having him do entertainment skits like James Ellsworth for example.

I'll admit, Shane is a step up from Ellsworth.

But they owe this dog a bone.
    There is nothing you can Cell... not even Waters!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His in ring work may be his biggest strength, but it's not his only strength. Hardcore style fights are also a strength of his. I think it limits him to only want the in ring stuff be showcased. It's fine to have other sides of his abilities be showcased. It actually helps him to do something he doesn't do as often. I don't get the obsession with a Nakamura match, thinking it has to happen now. There's plenty of time in the future when Nakamura is actually built on the main roster & there's an actual story between them. Shane excels at the fights & if they do that it'll be great. I think it certainly does more for AJ to do some thing different rather then the same match we would expect from him

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, Im all about AJ Styles facing a suitable opponent at wrestlemaia too, but Shane will do some crazy shit to get his match over. no doubt about that. AJ will get his chance at a 'five star' match at wrestlemania for sure, its just not this year. I guarantee that AJ vs Shane will be entertaining znd it might be for Shane's work in the match not AJ's.

Banner Credit: Spike

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    Look, Im all about AJ Styles facing a suitable opponent at wrestlemaia too, but Shane will do some crazy shit to get his match over. no doubt about that. AJ will get his chance at a 'five star' match at wrestlemania for sure, its just not this year. I guarantee that AJ vs Shane will be entertaining znd it might be for Shane's work in the match not AJ's.
    We said the same thing about CM Punk main eventing Wrestlemania and look how that turned out.

The WWE could give less of a shit about Meltzer and his ratings. They'll stick AJ wherever they feel like.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Styles won't walk out though.

I can see him winning the Rumble next year and main eventing in his 3rd WM match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    We said the same thing about CM Punk main eventing Wrestlemania and look how that turned out.

The WWE could give less of a shit about Meltzer and his ratings. They'll stick AJ wherever they feel like.
    Punk didn't have 4 kids to put through college. AJ will do what he needs to do, and will make it awesome, because that's what he's always done.

In the modern era, there may not be anyone who is as good at making great wrestling out of terrible booking/storytelling quite like AJ Styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, an angle with Shane McMahon is hardly proof that AJ Styles won't main event WrestleMania, I'd argue quite the opposite.

Misguided as it is, this is actually a good sign for AJ. The McMahon angle at 'Mania? He's big in Vince's thoughts.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    To be fair, an angle with Shane McMahon is hardly proof that AJ Styles won't main event WrestleMania, I'd argue quite the opposite.

Misguided as it is, this is actually a good sign for AJ. The McMahon angle at 'Mania? He's big in Vince's thoughts.
    @Kid Jericho said the same thing a while back when the rumors of this match started circulating. I definitely agree.

To many fans it looks like a waste of AJ Styles, but to Vince & Co., this is the greatest gift they could give someone in their company.

Anyway, I'm on board in the sense the match should be pretty good. Is it my first choice for who I want to see Styles face? No, but it's probably the one I'm most looking forward to (maybe second to Wyatt/Orton...although that match won't be great, I'm more into that because good story + Bray Wyatt).

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone thought about the possibility of Shane winning the match against AJ?

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on this build the rest of the way from the Smackdown party thread...

I will say, the AJ/Shane build could pick up nicely, especially if AJ plays the role of having a giant chip on his shoulder that he's getting opportunities pulled from him by the machine because he didn't play by the machine's rules for 15 years, that he did it his way and this is how the McMahon family gets their revenge for him becoming a star without them.

Could be a great angle to take on it.
    As far as Shane winning...I don't see it. But if he does AJ will walk out winning the war because Gallows and Anderson are probably getting involved. But I would say 98% sure AJ wins.

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn... it's possible Balor and The Club could be involved in this match. Hadn't even considered that - if the match is used as a platform for a double turn (Shane turning heel to make sure he remains as the Commish of Smackdown) it'll be awesome. Imagine the potential heat if Shane beats him...

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're still doing the Balor club thing? I suppose Gallows and Anderson interfering is possible (albeit unlikely), but I think it's clear that Balor is not going to be associated with them. Will Finn even be back in time for Mania?

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Punk didn't have 4 kids to put through college. AJ will do what he needs to do, and will make it awesome, because that's what he's always done.

In the modern era, there may not be anyone who is as good at making great wrestling out of terrible booking/storytelling quite like AJ Styles.
    Yeah, not reading anything about AJ being unhappy either. I think he assumed he would be joining the WWE or infamy and working a few years, then getting blown away by the new generation of guys, some who got into the business because of AJ himself. He seems quite happy with WWE, and has always been a worker.

Also he is working a McMahan. They do not wrestle just anybody. He is also getting to a lot of mic time, and a lot of time in general, so I cannot see this match being a bad thing at all for him, given he never has been this big of a star before. Company's always respected AJ, but no company really has backed him like WWE is in making him an absolute top tier guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    We're still doing the Balor club thing? I suppose Gallows and Anderson interfering is possible (albeit unlikely), but I think it's clear that Balor is not going to be associated with them. Will Finn even be back in time for Mania?
    Finn returned last night as did KENTA.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking about it and this is how I wouldn't hate seeing it go because of how much it spins off with multiple layers....

Shane will always have his insane spot. He hits it about 10-12 minutes into the match after having AJ reeling when he gets caught being too cocky, with a No Holds Barred contest, they're brawling everywhere.

Then just as it seems that Shane has the match won, Gallows and Anderson come out and start a Shane beat-down. The attack goes for about 20-30 seconds before the music of Shinsuke Nakamura plays and he comes down and charges at AJ (once again, on the biggest stage of the company they're a part of). While AJ and Shinsuke fight, then Finn Balor comes in from the crowd and hits Sling Blade on Gallows, then one on Anderson before a dropkick to Gallows followed by the Coup de Grace. Shinsuke and AJ's brawl continues until AJ gets hit by the kinshasa and thrown into the ring where Shane throws an arm over him and gets the pinfall.

(Yes, I'm aware that Shane beating AJ in any circumstance will make the internet explode. You'll survive.)

Later in the night we see Shinsuke and Finn backstage with Shane, with Nakamura signing his official Smackdown contract. Shane says that he wishes he could have Finn on Smackdown as well, but it's nice that someone will be on Raw to deal with the rest of The Club. Finn says he would like to say that he wants to be on Smackdown as well...but he has unfinished business on Raw.

The next night during The Authority segment (explaining how Rollins could beat Triple H likely)....Stephanie says that something else happened last night and that something else was the return of a former Universal Champion. And while Finn Balor is back, and while he has his guaranteed rematch still in hand....anyone, that supports her brother and plays a factor in such a big match without being welcome deserves punishment, and Finn will need to prove he's ready for his rematch. She then puts him in a 2-on-1 match with Gallows and Anderson, who take a DQ and beat the hell out of him.

Meanwhile on Smackdown, the war between Shane and AJ goes nuclear and Shinsuke continues to throw himself in the middle of it. Leading to AJ Styles saying if he can't get Shane in a match, he wants Shinsuke tonight. Nakamura accepts and the two go through a back-and-forth 20-25 minutes in the main event until AJ gets fed up and gets himself DQ'd by using a chair and starting a beat-down of his own on Nakamura to close the show.

Balor and Nakamura both sell injuries for a couple of weeks, meanwhile on social media and on broadcasts we see videos of AJ, Gallows and Anderson together behind the scenes outside of arenas (they can shoot these during WM week and have fodder for a bit). Before Payback, while Gallows and Anderson are facing Enzo and Cass in a tag team championship rematch, Balor appears and attacks the challengers and costs them their title shot. Backstage, Gallows and Anderson attack again and Stephanie comes up and says if Balor wants to keep stepping out of line, then he needs to learn his lesson....a no DQ handicap match seems to be what he needs and that's the Payback match.

During that match have Rollins come to the aid of Balor and help him defeat the Club members. Balor looks at him uncertain and walks out of the ring, but backstage Seth says that anyone that's fighting The Authority is good in his book....and that what he was able to do at Summerslam shows how impressive he is, and it earned his respect, it made him start to see things differently. Finn sees the honesty from Seth and they shake hands, forming an alliance against Stephanie and Hunter.

That alliance goes against KO/Joe at some point, Gallows/Anderson at some point as well. Meanwhile on Smackdown, Nakamura and Styles is the hot feud while Wyatt continues to hold the title....until AJ Styles is drafted to Raw.

The next PPV is Summerslam. Where for the number one contendership to the Universal Championship.....Bullet Club leader vs Bullet Club leader....AJ Styles vs Finn Balor. Winner faces whoever wins the title match between Brock Lesnar and Seth Rollins (which means that no matter who wins the NOC there's question on who they'll face...Balor/Rollins makes sense because the history they've built...Styles/Rollins makes sense because it's a mega-match...Balor/Lesnar is David vs Goliath and former champions from NJPW....same for Styles/Lesnar but with Gallows and Anderson playing a factor as well)

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Thread Information