Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    I know people here will hate Trump no matter what. Even if he got 90+ ISIS members killed and destroyed their underground tunnel. So this may be a naive question. For people who are indifferent to sides, I'm curious what your thoughts are.
    Can I be like the Obama-haters and be all "well since he wasn't personally there on the front lines with a gun [in the bin Laden mission] it doesn't count?"

(Sorry.)

And since my criticisms of Trump largely stem from my belief he has little interest in actually governing and instead sees it as an opportunity to make money for himself (see: "Who knew health care could be so complicated? (see: Trump not understanding he can't negotiate trade deals with Germany sans EU and Trump funneling taxpayer monies to his bank account via charging the Secret Service rent for Melania & Barron's stays in NY + his constant weekend trips to his resort in Florida, for which taxpayers have to foot the bill for Secret Service to stay in the hotels to do their job in protecting him. If these things change I could see myself coming around on him but I kinda doubt that'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Frankly I'm sick to death of Mexico's hypocrisy regarding immigration law so I could care less if we strengthen ties with them or not.

But the problem with the wall is that it's utterly impractical from a financial standpoint and does NOTHING about the single biggest source of illegal immigration, which is people overstaying their visas. I'm content with stronger enforcement of immigration laws, building the wall isn't necessary IMO.
    +1

I'm okay with immigration laws -- I don't think it's about keeping citizens safe, as the border hopping illegal immigrants we're talking about would, I'd assume, rather keep their heads down and stay out of trouble as much as possible -- but a wall would do little to deter this type of migration, making it largely a giant expensive middle finger.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hell he dosen't. Enforcement of immigration law is strictly under the purview of the executive branch.
    No it isn't. Congress has already set forth a great many laws and Trump's authority does not extend to changing established clauses.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/..._id=0000000871
    Please read
    Insei makes the best banners and avs
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
    "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
    Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ORaider27 View Post
    No it isn't. Congress has already set forth a great many laws and Trump's authority does not extend to changing established clauses.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/..._id=0000000871
    Please read
    Apples and Oranges

The Ninth Circuit ruled that way because they believe Trump's travel ban was discriminatory on the basis of religion, which is against the law. Had Trump never brought up the term "Muslim ban", or attempted to exclude Christians from the travel ban he would have been on solid legal ground.

In terms of deporting illegal immigrants he is 100% within his rights. The laws state clear as day that people staying past the date of their visas can and will be deported. You can't say Trump dosen't have the authority to do so just because you find it distateful. Frankly neither can the judicial branch until Congress sees fit to change immigration law.

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apples and Oranges

The Ninth Circuit ruled that way because they believe Trump's travel ban was discriminatory on the basis of religion, which is against the law. Had Trump never brought up the term "Muslim ban", or attempted to exclude Christians from the travel ban he would have been on solid legal ground.

In terms of deporting illegal immigrants he is 100% within his rights. The laws state clear as day that people staying past the date of their visas can and will be deported. You can't say Trump dosen't have the authority to do so just because you find it distateful. Frankly neither can the judicial branch until Congress sees fit to change immigration law.
    It is the scale he tried to do it and how. First, he cancelled every visa in the nation and then tried to deport all of the cancelled visas. Visas are granted by judges. President does not have power to override a court order.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
    "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
    Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at Obama getting 400k to speak to Wall Street. What a phony.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phony is the wrong word. Obama was never Bernie or Elizabeth Warren. He attacked Wall Street in the way that moderate Democrats do, not in the "they are the root of all the evil in our world" style rhetoric of the progressive populists.
    Last edited by mikec; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ôspecial interests dominate the debates in Washington"

I trust you have significant experience when it comes to dealing with special interests, Barack.

He campaigned that he was going to be tough on Wall Street after the recession yet he allowed the executives responsible to get away with it. Now he's getting paid 400k to bend the knee and kiss the ring.

I am not the kind of guy who thinks that all rich people are in on some vast conspiracy to screw the average joe and I don't believe they should pay for everyone. All I want is for things to be fair. Obama is all talk and rhetoric when it comes to inequality in the US.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because he took 400k for a speech? I wish that was the kind of bending over I had to do.

The bloom has been off the Obama is a hard-money, anti-Wall Street guy for years. It's not that I can't understand people who hate Wall Street being opposed to him, I just can't see a reason to change an opinion because he took a big pile of money for a minimal amount of work after being President.

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Because he took 400k for a speech? I wish that was the kind of bending over I had to do.

The bloom has been off the Obama is a hard-money, anti-Wall Street guy for years. It's not that I can't understand people who hate Wall Street being opposed to him, I just can't see a reason to change an opinion because he took a big pile of money for a minimal amount of work after being President.
    Did you not feel a tad bit disappointed? Truthfully. I ask this as a Canadian living in Britain who votes for a fringe party. No malice intended. I am simply curious as to what dem supporters think.

My father's side, who are Republican Americans are having a field day...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

I have disliked Obama for awhile now so my disproval of him isn't a new feeling. Just about the only good thing I have to say about him is that he isn't Trump.

I have no doubt in my mind that firms like Goldman wouldn't be so generous if President Obama actually walked the walk.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares? Honestly? Wall Street will be Wall Street, regardless of what the President does. I doubt even Bernie would've gotten all that far in any action against them. Washington and big money don't like change and have set things up to make true change damn near impossible. People that run for president often believe they'll have more power than they actually will. Obama was no different.

Thread Information