Thread: The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

But isn't that why we have government regulations against it? The average Joe won't deal with it, so we have regulations to ensure something is done, even if it's something small.

Without regulations, things have no chance of getting better

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    But isn't that why we have government regulations against it? The average Joe won't deal with it, so we have regulations to ensure something is done, even if it's something small.

Without regulations, things have no chance of getting better
    I don't disagree, except the country just voted for someone that doesn't believe in it and a party that supports him. Elections have consequences.

Had America voted for some guy who pretended to be pro-environment and then did this maybe I'd be upset. But global warming isn't enough of a priority to the average voter to vote on it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still amazed supporters are okay with this. I guess trump was right. He could murder someone in cold blood on the street and still have support.

Reminds me of OJ Simpson

Thank you Surrender!!!
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of his supporters aren't just okay with it, they agree with it.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potentially relevant to the global warming discussion and how a market-based solution didn't pan out as well as anyone had hoped:

NPR | Environmental Groups Say California's Climate Program Has Not Helped Them

The state's own research finds people in Wilmington are about twice as likely to get cancer as the average person in greater Los Angeles. That's not because of the carbon dioxide coming out of smokestacks. It is mostly due to diesel fumes, but also the toxic chemicals that mix with the greenhouse gas emissions of refineries.

Sanchez Hall wipes her finger across the hood of a car and holds it up. "Black dust," she says.

Given all this, you might think Sanchez Hall would be excited about California's so-called cap-and-trade program, which aims to get polluting companies, like the refineries here, to reduce emissions. But she and others say the state's signature climate change program is failing them.

"When I first heard about cap-and-trade, I couldn't conceive how pollution had become a commodity to profit from," says Alicia Rivera of Communities for a Better Environment.

Under the program, California sets an overall cap on carbon emissions. In order to meet it, companies have three choices: cut their emissions directly; buy and sell permits that allow them to keep emitting; or make up for their emissions by reducing emissions somewhere else. That last option is called an "offset" and environmental justice activists like Rivera hate it the most.

"We don't care if they have a project for tree planting elsewhere," she says. "When are they going to reduce pollution here?"

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Days before dropping to 35% approval rating:

Obama: Never
    GW Bush: 1927 days
    Clinton: Never
    HW Bush: 1278 days
    Reagan: 741 days, but it lasted one day
    Carter: 840 days

Trump: 68 days

What a winner.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger View Post
    Days before dropping to 35% approval rating:

Obama: Never
    GW Bush: 1927 days
    Clinton: Never
    HW Bush: 1278 days
    Reagan: 741 days, but it lasted one day
    Carter: 840 days

Trump: 68 days

What a winner.
    Don't laugh. He finally found something that he's better than his peers at.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HRC would be in exact same place now I think.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odds are lower. It seems that people REALLY love to hate on Hill. She could have made the US into a real Utopia, and still have people hating on her.

Now Uncle Joe, he would be cruising. Looking back that is really where everything went wrong, Joe should have ran. People got all caught up in the Hillary moment but really, Joe in hindsight appears to have been the best pick. He would have made Trump fight for the middle class, while taking the liberal elite that were pro Hillary and pro Sanders easily. His interviews post election have easily shown he was the right person, as while most democrats tossed up blame at Russia or Trump, he outright said that his party mistreated the voters and accepted that given them the message of it is Us or Trump was not enough. When 2020 comes, sadly this will be forgotten and odds are Trump will get a second term as Dems repeat the same mistakes.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Flynn is ready to talk but wants immunity.

Welp. Here we go.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Odds are lower. It seems that people REALLY love to hate on Hill. She could have made the US into a real Utopia, and still have people hating on her.

Now Uncle Joe, he would be cruising. Looking back that is really where everything went wrong, Joe should have ran. People got all caught up in the Hillary moment but really, Joe in hindsight appears to have been the best pick. He would have made Trump fight for the middle class, while taking the liberal elite that were pro Hillary and pro Sanders easily. His interviews post election have easily shown he was the right person, as while most democrats tossed up blame at Russia or Trump, he outright said that his party mistreated the voters and accepted that given them the message of it is Us or Trump was not enough. When 2020 comes, sadly this will be forgotten and odds are Trump will get a second term as Dems repeat the same mistakes.
    He's slipped to 35 percent approval and we're not even 100 days in, we also know that a chunk of his voters already feel regret for voting him in. With these sort of trends and no signs of them changing yet, you really think 2020 bodes well for him?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    He's slipped to 35 percent approval and we're not even 100 days in, we also know that a chunk of his voters already feel regret for voting him in. With these sort of trends and no signs of them changing yet, you really think 2020 bodes well for him?
    You're trusting the same polling that had him losing many of the states that he won and forgetting that politics isn't an abstract idea but a contest between two people. The Dems don't have a natural candidate to run in 2020 at this moment and if someone that is easily dismissed or passionately disliked shows up...

There's really no way in 2017 to project Trump's electability in 2020, and we really shouldn't give one poll the ultimate authority on a presidents favorability.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'll do something to improve those ratings, like announce he knows where Bin Laden's body actually is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad @mikec is speaking those truths. After Trump won presidency, I stopped caring what polls say. He won presidency against all odds and will be a great president against all odds. The amount of attention given to him in less then 100 days shows how petty the media is and how special he is.

Donald got shit for being at WM. Imagine. Like Linda isn't a part of the White House. Obama was on BET. Nuff said.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump is going to catch shit for everything he does from the left just like Obama caught shit for everything he did from the right. It is what it is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, their golf playing is pretty well the perfect nexus of the hypocrisy. Trump himself complained about how obama couldn't be a good president if he played golf so much, and now Trump is leaving DC every weekend to play golf at one of his clubs.

People get shit when they're the president. It isn't suddenly unfair because it's happening to Trump.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    He'll do something to improve those ratings, like announce he knows where Bin Laden's body actually is.
    My money's on him announcing a cure for cancer

Thank you Surrender!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the cure is found in Trump Steaks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty impressed Republicans found a new health care plan that was even worse than the last one.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a hard cut is coming to universities. Whenever any faculty member of a university gets a research grant the college currently takes 35% to 50% of that grant and claims it is "overhead" cost. The researchers then do their research with whatever is left. When designing studies right now we adapt to this and ask for generally double what is required. Trump looks to be cutting all funding to research by 20% as this "overhead" cost is impossible to track after the university takes it. They claim it is for the cost of foundation that is required, but we are taking 6 billion dollars a year when aggregated across all colleges.

Here is an example of how this works in practice. My advisor got 50k to research MOOC data. 17k went back to the school. I got about 25k for my tuition and stipend, my advisor got the rest for his work on the project. The data was collected by Coursera, transmitted to my advisor and I, which I then analyzed at home. The data was not identifiable, so outside of a few bucks to insure themselves against me committing fraud there was no cost to the university. My advisor works on his revisions of my work from home. The sole "indirect costs" were 6 hours or so of meeting time in my advisor's office and secure storage space for 5 gigs of data. For that, the school took 17k.

This cut while very well intended, the schools will not cut their take. So this will just increase the cost of research by 25 percent or so, and lessen overall scientific output by 25 percent. There is a lot of reform that can be done, I estimated in my projects that we wasted 20 percent of our budgets on computer hardware and software that the school made us buy through them, that if we were allowed to purchase and use what we wanted, we could have cut computer costs by 75 percent and software costs by 95 percent. But again, the universities lock us out of the discussion. It is so bad, that we had a grant to study player interactions in World of Warcraft, and the school request we substitute the game with a game that can be played offline, and suggested we use a Nintendo Wii instead to study player interactions, in particular how they interact with other players, in online multiplayer worlds. Not sure what the deal was, but it was like a big problem we could not redesign the entire experiment, that was to test if player interaction mediated or moderated the response to violence in video games, to work with Wii Sports. The oddest part, is the school did not purchase WoW for us, we used my two accounts and my professors two accounts as we were playing with multiboxing then for another study I wanted to do on drone training. We just needed them to open the firewall to let us connect to the official servers. Also we would have had to purchase the Wii and the TV, so it is not like the school even would have been involved there. In the end, they agreed but we got charged 2,000 for two computers to play WoW, that barely made specs to run it and at best were worth 300 each. So that is what this looks like on the ground floor. The school also got 1,500 for this study, all our money went to the PCs.

@Foos

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Pretty impressed Republicans found a new health care plan that was even worse than the last one.
    I haven't heard anything about this. What did they do now?

Great clip from Don Lemon here about the wire-tapping/Susan Rice bullshit: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/32...ry-a-diversion

Of course Trumpets will just call it Fake News like everything else they disagree with so Trump can continue to get away with whatever he wants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I haven't heard anything about this. What did they do now?

Great clip from Don Lemon here about the wire-tapping/Susan Rice bullshit: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/32...ry-a-diversion

Of course Trumpets will just call it Fake News like everything else they disagree with so Trump can continue to get away with whatever he wants.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2619202

There you go. It's actually pretty damn funny when you stop and think about it. Not in the "ha ha" kind of way but in the "I didn't think it could actually be worse" kind of way. Gotta give credit where credit's due.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 04-04-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Yeah, their golf playing is pretty well the perfect nexus of the hypocrisy. Trump himself complained about how obama couldn't be a good president if he played golf so much, and now Trump is leaving DC every weekend to play golf at one of his clubs.

People get shit when they're the president. It isn't suddenly unfair because it's happening to Trump.
    He's traveled to the golf club in Florida 12 times in 9 weeks at $3 million a trip. That's what he costs tax payers every time he does it. So $36 million for him to golf but we "don't have money for healthcare". He's picking and choosing which lines of the court order he follows but that's not how the court will see it.

I finally recieved the other executive orders he has signed. They arrived yesterday. I'll be looking at them closely the next few days and will post my findings. There are 19 in total.
    Last edited by ORaider27; 05-08-2017 at 02:24 AM.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
    "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
    Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump will never be severed from the golf course. While people all assume he is an idiot, using the golf courses is really, really smart. He knows the White House is recorded and the press will print almost anything he says so what better place to conduct shady business than on a golf course he owns. He knows it is not bugged, and the large open spaces and nature of golf means that secret service does not need to be right next to him at all times. It allows for him to talk with people utterly off the record, under the guise of just wasting more time fucking around. He can now, do whatever he wants, in plain sight of everyone with no one knowing any better. He literally owns this environment and is taking none of the risks Nixon took.

Given we now will have extremely important meetings with a man who habitually lies and heads of foreign governments in this environment is terrifying. How long until a threat is issued that Trump then claims he never made? His supporters will back him, and he set the stage to deny anything under the guise of the liberal media always going against him. And because the media takes the bait and prints everything no matter how petty, really, people will not be able to separate out the signal and the noise if something did happen. Trump is literally molding the media into becoming what he claims they are.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ORaider27 View Post
    This is something that violates the court order. He was ordered to set up residence in his DC hotel. He isn't supposed to be using air force one. He's traveled to the golf club in Florida 12 times in 9 weeks at $3 million a trip. That's what he costs tax payers every time he does it. So $36 million for him to golf but we "don't have money for healthcare". He's picking and choosing which lines of the court order he follows but that's not how the court will see it. He's going to jail. The impeachment will be concluded while he awaits execution.

I finally recieved the other executive orders he has signed. They arrived yesterday. I'll be looking at them closely the next few days and will post my findings. There are 19 in total.
    I have no idea what Court order to which you're referring, not does seemingly much of the internet.

And 36 million dollars for trips/3 million a trip is a drop in the health care price bucket. There are so many Trump travels problems that focusing on things that aren't realistic like "we'd have more money for healthcare if he'd just take fewer trips" doesn't help. It's a cute attack line I guess, on par with the "I have to balance my checkbook, so should the federal government!" argument in real quality though.

Thread Information