Thread: Meryl Streep Golden Globes Speech: "MMA is not art"

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Meryl Streep Golden Globes Speech: "MMA is not art"

According to lifetime achievement winner last night, one of my mom's favorite actresses Maryl Streep; if you deported all the foreigners then you wouldn't have anyone in Hollywood to make the things you watch, all that would be on is football and mixed martial arts, which is not the arts by the way:

Do you see MMA as art? I would have to say yes, the very definition of art is the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power. Martial arts may not be the typical visual form but it is very much the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power, that is martial arts.

But I thought this was cute that MMA was even mentioned in this. Back in the day being a fan of MMA it was like an underground thing that nobody knew about, now apparently there is too much of it on TV for people like Maryl Streep. Also being mentioned in the same breath as football in a big protest speech that everybody is talking about, MMA sure has come a long way. I think Jeff Blatnick would be proud. RIP.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Meryl Streep Golden Globes Speech: "MMA is not art"

Can't be too mad at a snobby old lady for being a snob. I mean, there isn't much to say.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    Can't be too mad at a snobby old lady for being a snob. I mean, there isn't much to say.
    Do you see MMA as an art form?

It doesn't really make me mad personally, like I said I actually got kinda tickled that she would even mention MMA in a speech like that. We have officially arrived!

But the way she said it though. I always felt like there was a large portion of people out there that look down on MMA like a disgusting pig white trash trailer park sport, the overall culture of it, the cage, etc, it will never really be taken as seriously as boxing(which isn't a bad thing). I've got a little saying that I like, MMA is to the sports world what pro wrestling is to the entertainment world, it's got a huge glass ceiling as far as credibility and respect goes from the mainstream. I mean look at the response to the possible Conor vs Mayweather fight, people acting like it was way beneath boxing to do something like that, even comparing it to Ali vs Inoki.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see MMA as a competition that showcases various martial ARTS adopted/interpreted/innovated by modern practitioners to both achieve their goals and to entertain.

All this notwithstanding that certain fights are almost poetic in the way they play out, but that is a different level than just the physical expression.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really watch these awards ceremonies, and I sure as hell don't really care what goes on in the minds of Hollywood SJWs like Meryl Streep, but this actually kind of pisses me off. Why are these fake, plastic people cheering her stupid speech? How is this supposed to make all the foreign MMA fighters who worked their asses off to get a contract with a big promotion feel? What a dumb thing to say. All she did was show she has a general grasp of Geography and that she did a quick wikipedia search on all the big names in the crowd
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough one. Is MMA art? No its not. Its a competition based combat sport where you try to physically hurt or knock unconscious your opponent. However I do think that some forms can be considered art when they are demonstrated for entertainment purposes. The UFC is not art.

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will point to my buddy Cole for his statement on it as it fits mine

MMA is an art of itself, there are none other like it, just like boxing has its sweet science it is an art of its own design.
    Her speech said "it's not the arts" and this is 100% true it's not the arts in which she is representing or referring to.
    Ours is a brutal sport of athleticism and violence the arts we hold true are those of combat and the beauty in which we see in it.

If you're truly upset about what she said you're just being silly and Naive....
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammer to the nail, extremely well said. Sig worthy

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, that is the very essence of what Brazilian Jujitsu is. It took a lot of creative skill and imagination for a little man like Helio Gracie or the Judokas that came before him to make it what it is, they didn't just grab these techniques out of thin air, they didn't just stumble upon the science that makes Jujitsu work, and its the same for any other martial art, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, Greco/Freestyle Wrestling, Muay Thai, these martial arts are the expression of human creative skill and imagination as opposed to cave men bashing each other's skulls in or chopping each other down with swords or shooting each other down with guns. What Maryl Streep and people like her don't realize is that down here in the real world life is a fucking fight, people that live in the fucking gutter don't get the chance to turn the other cheek, unarmed peasants on the battle fields of feudal Japan didn't get the chance to turn the other cheek, life isn't a disney movie fantasy like a lot of people believe or want to believe, life is a non stop fight for some people, graveyards and prisons and homeless shelters are chocked full of people that have either lost or are losing that fight.

Just like culinary arts take food and make it into an artform, martial arts takes fighting, something primitive that is hardwired into our DNA, and make it a sophisticated art. A lot of people find inner strength, emotional power and self control through martial arts and that's a beautiful thing. MMA brings the martial arts together and shows their true beauty in the most raw and realistic possible way, fighting is ugly, it's brutal, it's disturbing but that's real life, a lot of MMA fights mirror the fight that people in the real world have to face every day in their day to day lives, that's the beauty of it to me, seeing a guy like Matt Hughes get nailed in the balls by Frank Trigg, his face pounded, the life choked out of him and then being able to find the inner strength to overcome that the way he did that's powerful shit, that fight to me is a metaphor for life, MMA is a beautiful art to me for sure.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-12-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Banned

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean at the end of the day it's two people beating one another to Early Onset Parkinson's for a shiny thing or for monetary gain. Also, seeing Meryl Streep's name in the MMA section is so goddamn weird.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a stupid remark by a washed up old hag.

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, that is the very essence of what Brazilian Jujitsu is. It took a lot of creative skill and imagination for a little man like Helio Gracie or the Judokas that came before him to make it what it is, they didn't just grab these techniques out of thin air, they didn't just stumble upon the science that makes Jujitsu work, and its the same for any other martial art, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, Greco/Freestyle Wrestling, Muay Thai, these martial arts are the expression of human creative skill and imagination as opposed to cave men bashing each other's skulls in or chopping each other down with swords or shooting each other down with guns. What Maryl Streep and people like her don't realize is that down here in the real world life is a fucking fight, people that live in the fucking gutter don't get the chance to turn the other cheek, unarmed peasants on the battle fields of feudal Japan didn't get the chance to turn the other cheek, life isn't a disney movie fantasy like a lot of people believe or want to believe, life is a non stop fight for some people, graveyards and prisons and homeless shelters are chocked full of people that have either lost or are losing that fight.

Just like culinary arts take food and make it into an artform, martial arts takes fighting, something primitive that is hardwired into our DNA, and make it a sophisticated art. A lot of people find inner strength, emotional power and self control through martial arts and that's a beautiful thing. MMA brings the martial arts together and shows their true beauty in the most raw and realistic possible way, fighting is ugly, it's brutal, it's disturbing but that's real life, a lot of MMA fights mirror the fight that people in the real world have to face every day in their day to day lives, that's the beauty of it to me, seeing a guy like Matt Hughes get nailed in the balls by Frank Trigg, his face pounded, the life choked out of him and then being able to find the inner strength to overcome that the way he did that's powerful shit, that fight to me is a metaphor for life, MMA is a beautiful art to me for sure.
    Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't think anyone can.
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

Thread Information