View Poll Results: Has social media had more of a positive or negative effect on society as a whole?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

10 45.45%
  • Negative

12 54.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate social media

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I hate social media

I'm probably going to sound like an anti-social, bitter, single person here, but I'm going to share my thoughts anyway.

Each time I log onto Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat, I feel like I see only one of 3 things: A selfie, a "happy couple" (or engagement) picture, or pictures of people's kids.

I feel like everything is some type of stupid competition. Who looks better, who is in the happier relationship, which girl has a nicer engagement ring, whose wedding was nicer, who has a better job/is more successful, etc.

Lets start with the selfies. I will admit I'm guilty of posting them here and there. Until I realized that it's really just a sad (an subconscious for some) attempt at getting approval on their looks from other people. Nothing screams "I need the approval of others" more than someone who is constantly posting pictures of themselves and it's just getting annoying. I respect people who have the determination to work out and are physically fit, but there's no need for guys to be posting pictures of themselves shirtless or flexing every day, or girls to post pictures of themselves as if they are advertising for sex work on Craigslist.

Then, there's the "happy couple" pictures and posts and the engagement pictures. Now, I have no problem with a couple that is truly in love and faithful to one another. What irks the shit out of me is seeing people who I KNOW are not really happy with one another, put on a show for social media. My friend's cousin is constantly doing this, yet she and her husband are separating AND DON'T EVEN LIVE TOGETHER. Yet the "happiness" continues on social media. Other couples, who I know have cheated on each other and/or have had more than their fair share of troubles together, act as if they are living a fairytale on their Facebook and Instagram accounts.

Last but not least, we have the baby pictures/pictures of people's kids. These don't really bother me, I just think it's annoying that when some people become parents, my feed is flooded with pictures of their kid and they literally post about NOTHING else except their kid and parenthood. I'm sorry, did you all of a sudden die inside because you had a child? Do you no longer have a personality, or have anything else to share with the world?

I just hate that we live in a world where people will post anything for likes and attention. People don't even enjoy the company of others anymore because we are all so attached to our phones and tablets. We don't enjoy concerts or live events, because we are too busy taking videos and pictures (I know not everyone does this, but I have and then realized what I was doing).

I deactivated my Twitter last year because I found it useless, and I deactivated my Facebook this week. I'm keeping my Instagram for now since it's more simple and there's less drama than on Facebook. I liked Facebook because it was my main source of news, but I've begun to make good use of the "News" app on my iPhone.

Anyway, there's my rant. What are your feelings toward social media? How do you use yours, and does the way other people use their social media ever annoy you? Do you think social media has had more of a negative or positive effect on society?

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I hate social media

I have no real life friends so social media is all I have left.

I'm guilty of posting pics and stories about my kids often but not all the time. The rest of my profile is about anime, comics, football and tv shows I'm watching. I'm also big on trying new recipes.

I think overall social media has had a negative effect on society when it comes to spend all day with faces buried in phones, instead of experiencing life. But then there's people like myself who are already suffering from social anxiety and hate leaving the house. Now I definitely don't have to force myself out to get social interaction. I can do it from the palm of my hand without feeling self conscious about my looks.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on how people use social media...Me? I have a Facebook account I log into roughly every 2 weeks at the most..I really just use Facebook to keep in touch with some of my blood family from both sides, along with any possible opportunities as far as work goes, plus some old friends. Other than that I never had a Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or any other social media account...Though like i stated, it boils down on how you use social media...You can use social media to post some asinine shit or something meaningful. Fact is most people use social media to post meaningless shit for whatever reasons they see fit.

Think of that old term "Keeping up with the Joneses". That (to me) funny thing to observe but never participate in, watching people compare finite material things against something similar that someone else owns, except it happens to be a newer model or made by a different company. Since a lot of people are pointlessly obsessed with having the "newest gadget", all that silly shit of one-upping each other got transferred and extrapolated onto the internet thanks to all these social media outlets instead of simply staying between neighbors/family members/acquaintances/barbershops and neighborhood gossip in general.

About your point on people not being able to enjoy concerts/festivals, etc Yea a large percentage of people are electronic zombies in that they're walking around glued to their phone so much so that they wouldn't even notice if they stepped in a massive pile of dog(or human) shit on the sidewalk, much less noticing that the street they're about to cross already has a light changing after they've stepped off the curb and into oncoming traffic. I can understand going to a concert and taking a few good close pictures if you are in a good spot, but being glued to your phone the entire time's a waste of the $ paid to get into said concert. Those people are definitely begging for a Darwin Award..

In the long term, social media could have a positive effect on society if used right..If people chose to help each other more using social media instead of hashtagging phrases that a 2nd grader would scoff at, and generally wasting time then yea, social media can be used for the better..In the same vein, social media can also help to make people dumber and more and more machine-dependent to the point that if a simple power outage happened they'd panic and sit frozen in fear.

So yea, to me it boils down to how it's used and the motives behind it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never joined a social media website.* It was weird in my twenties, now that I'm above thirty, it doesn't really matter anymore.

I come from the internet generation of anonymity. I don't want my name attached to madness I've posted the last twenty plus years.

I joined Twitter, but just as a consumer, not a participator.

r.i.p. dogs playing poker

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Social media is an addiction. Just like drugs, alcohol, chocolate, whatever. Simon Sinek explains it perfectly.

I have my own views, but I need to sleep before I start typing away. Just wanted to get this video in the thread because it's highly informative and relevant.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until you have a child you really shouldn't be snarky about people dying inside and losing their personality because they had one... because that's exactly what happens. Parenthood is an all encompassing, exhaustive endeavor and it is at times all you get to do. So when you get on social media sometimes the only thing you've done for a week is work and answer the same 3 questions repeatedly for a cute and repetitive child.

Help me.

(Seriously though, I'm not even a single parent. I don't even know what that could be like. It's worth it on the balance, but actual parenting will crowd out most of your personality.)

I use Facebook solely as a way to communicate with family and the few friends I care about. Other people have added me over the years to be a life story completist or to add friends and that's fine, but I don't really post for them. I love using twitter as a consumer of information, but rarely tweet anything worthwhile.
    Last edited by mikec; 01-05-2017 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Twitter for one person - The Iron Shiek

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Facebook, simply because I'm terrible at keeping in touch with people, and that makes it a little more convenient.

Don't really use any of the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Social media is an addiction. Just like drugs, alcohol, chocolate, whatever. Simon Sinek explains it perfectly.

I have my own views, but I need to sleep before I start typing away. Just wanted to get this video in the thread because it's highly informative and relevant.
    That was actually a damn good video...All those points the main guy raised are easily true in how social media spoils a lot of people who never were patient to begin with, entitled, etc I see it more often than not around here..Though at the same time in the midst of schmucks and putzes there's still good people..However, I love the point about how cell phones are extremely addictive, because of how true it is..I mean, if people would just casually walk down the street and ask someone, especially someone who's walking down the street with their face buried in their cell phone "Excuse me. Can I ask you a question? Are you addicted to using your cell phone at any given opportunity?". It wouldn't be surprising if their response was "No. I'm not addicted to my phone. I'm just using it to check on something". Though others, if asked that same question(who would also have their face buried in their phone) would at least be truthful and say "Yea. I am addicted to my phone and I can't help it but it's better than being addicted to say, smoking crack or shooting up heroin, right?".

Reason I posited those hypothetical questions is really this-Some people in my life, whether people I'm somewhat close to or coworkers, I'll ask them that question, or better yet ask them "Would you completely panic if there were a power outage that lasted say, 7 hours?". It wasn't surprising that some of the people's responses to that question were "Yea. I'd freak out if I couldn't call anyone".

Another thing I find interesting, though it wasn't talked about in that video is this-I love(when I get a chance) to go hiking for around 5 hours, smoke a joint and just be happy being alone, whether it's in the woods, along the Pacific Ocean, a less visited area of Golden Gate Park or another park in San Francisco, point is I have no problem spending hours in silence by myself. A lot of people I know wouldn't be able to do that without trying to listen to some music or have some sort of electronic stimuli because from my own experiences, most people are petrified to get to know themselves...The reasons/circumstances are different for each person of course but at the same time it does worry me to a certain extent..A lot of people walking around today are(whether they know it or not) vastly uncomfortable just being by themselves and getting to know the real deep down aspects of their own being, spirit whatever you wanna call it without any distractions being constantly around them.

Hopefully that'll change within the coming decades but we'll see.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people live their lives to cultivate their online personal, picture perfect family and all that... So don't follow them.

I post family pics more than anything else because I have family I couldn't be assed contacting individually. Don't like it, don't follow.

I do travel a lot but don't post many pics because I don't want people to know only my wife or Noone is home.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Facebook mostly to keep up with friends and some family that aren't close by, as well as sharing random memes, or something I find interesting or funny and want to share with others. Same with Twitter, though not as often and when I do it's mostly a retweet of something. Instagram, I hardly ever post anything but I keep it to see what friends and family are up to.

Basically I keep my social media for friends and family.

Banner Credit: surrender

"If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live" - Tommy Wiseau

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quit social media a few years ago. I just don't care at all about what anyone is doing. Everyone close to me is in my phone and I don't have any desire to speak with people from years past. I still get email notifications that I received new messages and friend notifications on Facebook even though I haven't logged in since 2013.

I know they did a study a short while back that found social media (mainly facebook) is a large cause of depression. The gist of it was that most people only post pictures of themselves happy, looking their best, and having fun. Turns out that on a daily basis scrolling through a collage of everyone you have ever known being happy and having way more fun than your currently having makes you feel inadequate and depressed. Go figure.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use twitter for sports information and up to date information on gaming, news etc. so in that regard it's great

But the Social Justice Warriors ruin the whole chabang, I don't think there's a more easily offended group of people in this world then them. Hardly any thick skin, act like the sky is over over the littlest of things, they come off as whiny and entitled. I am all for awareness but they take it to the umpth degree and it just gets real degrading, it's to the point that I just stick to the the meat of the story and only read the article and do my best to stay away from any conversation. Sometimes it cannot be avoided however.

I have my facebook account active just to see how all my friends are doing honestly and just in case something happens to them that I am in the know. I use it as nothing more than that.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mainly use social media to stay in touch with my girlfriend since she lives about 3 and 1/2 hours away we've hardly gotten to see each other and Facebook is my best way of keeping contact with her. From what I have observed most people act like weirdos on Facebook. They live in this creepy word full of each chambers and self affirmation. Now keep in mind I'm talking grown adults. I find it's sad that common sense is not common anymore and we live in a land of extremes. You have to speak in a certain way with a certain tone for most people to want to engage in conversation with people. People or pussies or massive assholes with no in between with no sense of normalcy in their behavior. It's such a weird sad commentary of our world.
    Last edited by Ed; 01-05-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Social media has changed the world so much, in so many ways. For a lot of people it is a tool to fuel their egos, and even those who don't actively participate that often like the feeling when you post something and you get bunch of likes. Then again, is this behaviour really that much different to getting together with family or friends and showing them a photo album of a recent holiday? Not really. The behaviour is not different, but many other factors are: greater audience, greater volume of things you share, and that it's on the internet forever. The fact that it's so convenient can turn it into an addiction.

It's interesting that many people broadcast to the world things like their relationship status. Before the internet, who would you tell if you got a new romantic partner? Family and close friends. Maybe work colleagues. That's it. How would you tell them? You'd talk to them in person or give them a phone call. Nowadays you click your mouse a few times and your whole friends list knows. No effort or interaction required. Furthermore, a lot more people than family and close friends are going to know about it. Apparently most people don't care about that. I'm not one of those people who is Facebook friends with every person I come into contact with, I'm pretty selective, but there are still a lot of acquaintances and other non-close friends on my friends list. I'd be reluctant to broadcast things like my relationship status on Facebook. But in these modern times, it almost feels like the only way to disseminate information.

I use Facebook primarily as an instant messenger because nobody uses MSN and Skype anymore. I make a post maybe once a month at most, either to announce something important or to share an article or video I found particularly profound. When I do that, I check quite frequently to see how many likes I get. It annoys me that I care, but it's undeniable. Unfortunately I am addicted to Facebook. The first thing I do after I wake up is go on Facebook and scroll down the newsfeed. Between activities I go on Facebook and scroll down the newsfeed. Now that I think about it, at least 95% of what I read doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever. But I do it multiple times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    I know they did a study a short while back that found social media (mainly facebook) is a large cause of depression. The gist of it was that most people only post pictures of themselves happy, looking their best, and having fun. Turns out that on a daily basis scrolling through a collage of everyone you have ever known being happy and having way more fun than your currently having makes you feel inadequate and depressed. Go figure.
    This raises an interesting point: what if people started posting pictures of themselves sat in front of their computer, in their room, doing nothing? Or posted statuses when they were sad? Would it make people feel better? I suspect it would. In a similar way to how watching celebrities make fools of themselves on reality TV shows makes us feel good.

To answer the poll question: it's very hard to say. Social media has influenced our world in so many ways that it's impossible for me to weigh the pros and cons and come to a conclusion. In any case, it's an integral part of our lives. It's here to stay. For better or for worse, although I'm leaning more towards better. And if that's the way I feel, I guess I should vote positive

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use any social media like Facebook or Twitter. To be honest, I don't care what most people are doing with their lives. I mean ultimately they are probably just hanging out with family, raisinsg their children and working. I don't need Facebook to tell me that. If I care enough about you, then I probably have your phone number and I'll call you directly or send you a text message every once and a while. But I have no desire or interest to keep in contact with most people that I've known in the past. I just like to do my own thing, hang out with my family and have a good time. Additionally, I'm kind of anti-social and introverted by nature, and I do get a bit of social anxiety being around a bunch of people in general. I guess I just don't like most people. Almost everyone I've met in life doesn't share any of the same interests as me, they don't share the same values that I do and most people are way too religious for their own good.

As far as keeping up with news goes, I don't like using Twitter for that. I have an RSS feed setup via thunderbird where all the important news that I care about is directly delivered to me.

This message board is probably the closest thing to any social media I participate in.
    Last edited by mx518; 01-06-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to say I'm too good for Facebook Realized very early on that people will (generally) only post updates of themselves when extraordinary things happen, not ordinary things. Vacation pictures yes, washing dishes no.

While the subject in the video made some outstanding points, I can't bring myself to say social media/instant gratification is a good or a bad thing, it's just a thing. I'm sure the same thing could have been said about telephones and instant communication vs letters, cars vs horses, this is just a new thing we have to figure out how to integrate into our lives.

I can't really relate to the loneliness or subpar friendship parts of the video, but I'm on the older edge of being a Millenial and so maybe I just missed the boat on that one. But I do think the worst part of phones/instant gratfication/everything at your fingertips is that we've forgotten how to be bored, which tends to be when our best ideas and creativity and insights come through. You're probably not contemplating your place in the universe while you're swiping left on Tinder.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally go ape shit crazy with rage when people I try to communicate with, sits with their face glued into their phone screen typing on twitter,instagram,facebook or whatever.. I think it's the most rude thing a person can do, it's like smacking someone in the face with a glove during the 1600's.

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    I can't really relate to the loneliness or subpar friendship parts of the video, but I'm on the older edge of being a Millenial and so maybe I just missed the boat on that one.
    Well if you're 34 you belong in the X-gen category. Alltough there are different opinions, I know the Harvard center uses 65-84 to categorize Generation X.
    Last edited by Razor_Blade; 01-08-2017 at 08:04 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not on any social media sites (unless you count this?). I've got some personal reasons not to make my current life/whereabouts known publicly for f#cked up safety reasons but also, I know of too many circumstances where people posted stupid things on social media. My cousin actually posted something that could have potentially gotten her felony charges brought against her if my sister didn't warn her to take it down. Simple hint, don't post pictures of naked people on Facebook if you are FB friends with family members who are minors! Full disclosure though, that cousin has always been a moron.
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, i don't understand the hate.
    Choosing to be friends with someone on Social media is choosing to peak through the window of their house in a non-sexual way (Unless it's Kik or Snapchat), if that doesn't interest you then don't look.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i know that future american president should stay off social media. He is a thin skinned baby, who cries like a bitch when someone mocks him. Going after Meryl Streep.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why so many people think its terrible for the future President to say the things he says on Twitter when much worse things are said about him all the time in mainstream media and nobody criticizes that.
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    I don't understand why so many people think its terrible for the future President to say the things he says on Twitter when much worse things are said about him all the time in mainstream media and nobody criticizes that.
    Because he's about to be president which means he will represent the country, unless you're ok with the U.S. being portrayed as a thin skinned child.

he should learn to get over the insults and grow up

Thank you Surrender!!!

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    Role reversal: Imagine Obama had spent any amount of time addressing people criticizing his choice of mustard or his NCAA bracket picks or railing against people who didn't like his use of a paper clip when presenting his jobs act bill and you'll get it. Or the bizarre amount of hate actresses get for their Oscar dresses and how they don't spend their free time responding to every tweet mentioning how awful the cut is. When you're President most of this stuff should be background noise.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny that people criticize Trump for his behavior right after the Gloden Globe awards which was nothing but a Hollywood bash-fest on the man. It's hypocritical. The mainstream media started taking potshots first and are still doing it. I get it when its on SNL or other comedic form. That's as old in comedy as comedy itself. But the vitriol? Its at another level now.
    Making PW great again!

Thread Information