View Poll Results: Has social media had more of a positive or negative effect on society as a whole?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

10 45.45%
  • Negative

12 54.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate social media

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I hate social media

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    Funny that people criticize Trump for his behavior right after the Gloden Globe awards which was nothing but a Hollywood bash-fest on the man. It's hypocritical. The mainstream media started taking potshots first and are still doing it. I get it when its on SNL or other comedic form. That's as old in comedy as comedy itself. But the vitriol? Its at another level now.
    Odious people deserve to be shit on when and where ever possible. You of all people should have come to terms with that by now!

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very arrogant HR. Who are you to be judge and jury on that front? You don't like Trump and clearly you don't like me. Fine. I find many of Trump's detractors to be odious. As for you, I have no opinion about you. The point is that hating Trump because.... um "we just assume we're right no matter what so insulting him is cool" while then taking offense like he just shot your best dog when he fires back because he has differing beliefs is hypocritical as balls! And the left thinks Trump's thin skinned? I guess after reading this you'll have to find your nearest "safe space" and hug it out with someone.
    Last edited by TJ Wyoming; 01-14-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not every member of the left is a squeamish college kid worried about being triggered.

And asking the president to be an adult isn't a big ask. A small percentage of the complaints anyone would have about his twitter feed would relate to a difference of opinions, it relates to him slandering companies, people and places because of perceived slights and grudges. The stock hit that Boeing took after his total BS on Air Force One that happened almost immediately after the head of Boeing expressed concerns about his protectionism is a perfect example of how he tweets in a destructive way as President-Elect.
    Last edited by mikec; 01-12-2017 at 04:23 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well couple things about facebook 1st off these chicks glamed up pic on their profiles...then you met them in person and your like 'is that the same person' and then they change their profile pic all the time to get off on all the likes...also guys getting drunk and hitting on these girls..omg the things I've said and sometimes they like it an hook up city....but idk I think it can be too addictive like allot of tech stuff today.

Electro-pop music Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I would say it's had more of a positive effect on societies. It brings issues to the forefront more than than they used to be, and connect people overall. I have a Facebook page, which I rarely post on, but occasionally read stuff on it.

A lot of the complaints about it really sound like people growing older and missing the good ol'days as though they were any better. There is some irony to a thread like this being made on a message board, which was social media before Facebook and Twitter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is a huge difference between a message board like this and a social media one like facebook. Everyone I know who talks about facebook (for example) says how they primarily use it to communicate with people they already even though they could easily meet in person or talk to on the phone etc. I primarily come on here to discuss or read discussion about the topic of prowrestling. That is not something I can do with people in my personal life because I don't know anyone here who watches it... or at least they don't admit it. Obviously I venture into forums such as this one from time to time but that began long after I came here for wrestling chat. For me, this place is like a brothel. I come here to get what I can't get at home. If I could get it at home, I wouldn't have to come here.
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook is supremely out of touch with the rest of social media. The latest joke, meme, viral video, etc to pop on FB was on Twitter a month ago. I guess that's why so many old people and parents spend so much time on it. There's not a whole lot of freedom for them for the more current platforms.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    I think there is a huge difference between a message board like this and a social media one like facebook. Everyone I know who talks about facebook (for example) says how they primarily use it to communicate with people they already even though they could easily meet in person or talk to on the phone etc. I primarily come on here to discuss or read discussion about the topic of prowrestling. That is not something I can do with people in my personal life because I don't know anyone here who watches it... or at least they don't admit it. Obviously I venture into forums such as this one from time to time but that began long after I came here for wrestling chat. For me, this place is like a brothel. I come here to get what I can't get at home. If I could get it at home, I wouldn't have to come here.
    I use facebook to avoid talking on the phone or meeting in person. Social Anxiety and all that...

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Facebook to stay in touch with close family and friends that I may sometimes not have the luxury to see all the time IRL. That's what FB is supposed to be about IMO. All the people complaining about it being out-of-touch probably have 1000+ friends, not even knowing who 900 of them actually are lol
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Social media is an addiction. Just like drugs, alcohol, chocolate, whatever. Simon Sinek explains it perfectly.

I have my own views, but I need to sleep before I start typing away. Just wanted to get this video in the thread because it's highly informative and relevant.
    There's a difference between "social media is an addiction" and "social media can be addictive". Just like all those things you listed, it's all relative to the person using it
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surrender View Post
    Facebook is supremely out of touch with the rest of social media. The latest joke, meme, viral video, etc to pop on FB was on Twitter a month ago. I guess that's why so many old people and parents spend so much time on it. There's not a whole lot of freedom for them for the more current platforms.
    Hippsters! Everyone older than them is "out of touch". In a week Twitter will be the same as Myspace. Funny. The non throw away generation has become the cyber throw away generation.
    Making PW great again!

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surrender View Post

I'm at the point in my life where I don't really care about being at the cutting edge of the dankest memes or viral videos, I got too much shit to do in meatspace. I use FB to keep up with friends and old coworkers who moved across the country (or in some cases around the world) and it's actually pretty good at that. Who got married, who has kids/whose preemies just got out of the hospital, that kind of stuff. It doesn't keep me in touch with Internet culture, and I don't expect it to. IMO it's like judging a minivan for not being as fast as a sports car; that's not what it's supposed to do.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't get it. If I haven't actually spoken to someone in a year than they clearly aren't important to me. Why waste time? Haven't talked to my sister in over 5 years. F#ck her. No loss.
    Making PW great again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a friend of 14 years unfriend me apparently because I made fun of a show he likes. People treat all these platforms like religion. Not to be mocked or missed with it's very bizarre

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Facebook sparingly. It's pretty much just something to do when I'm on the toilet. Same with Instagram. I have never had Twitter and don't plan on it. I use facebook even less after the election of Trump because my feed gets clogged to the brim with lefties throwing a bitch fit because things didn't go their way, or republicans tripping over each other to blow Trump and yet somehow be so angry that not everybody thinks he's adorable. Honestly it's like the right is just as pissed off now as they were when Obama was in there. So anyways my "friends" list has shrunk down to about 36 people just because I can't stand people bitching about politics daily. I mean literally it's the only thing some people post about. Like what a monster Trump is and blah blah blah or giving the middle finger to islam or whatever the hell. Or my favorite one is how a person posts about how proud they are to be an asshole. Oh just fuck off. Being an asshole isn't something you should be proud of.

Thread Information